Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Ash, Bing [Bot], Decaf, gooner7, Lincoln gooner, mcquilkie, Rich, socrates and 258 guests

Post #511001  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm 

Cole, Clichy, Flamini and Larsson.

Four more to go.

I think one of the four is obvious. One is probably who Bernard was thinking of when he said Ryan Garry. One is a full back. The other one is the one I had to look up, and I'm still surprised to see have seen him on the list.

Post #511002  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

Four more to go.

I think one of the four is obvious. One is probably who Bernard was thinking of when he said Ryan Garry. One is a full back. The other one is the one I had to look up, and I'm still surprised to see have seen him on the list.

I’m not going to look it up as it would spoil the fun but wasn’t there a tiny Brazilian who played at left back around this time. Not sylvinho but a young player who played a handful of games

Post #511003  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Four more to go.

I’m not going to look it up as it would spoil the fun but wasn’t there a tiny Brazilian who played at left back around this time. Not sylvinho but a young player who played a handful of games

Juan?

Nope.

Post #511004  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:01 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Juan?

Nope.

Traore? Gilbert?

Post #511005  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 pm 

There is a silent demographic war in America. I'd be curious to know if the same is happening in the UK, Australia or NZ.
There is a new term that has made the lexicon of American social and political spaces: "Ok, Boomer" Millennials who are told by those in America who are referred to as the baby boomer generation, primarily over 60. Its a response by the young under 30.

They have an animus against their grandparents era. Why? Because they feel that they older generation used the biggest credit card in history (debt) to finance their own selfishness and have left them to pay the tab. Young people have a huge amount of college debt upon graduation. The amount varies but it can be as low as 10k if they are very lucky to hundreds of thousands if they went to law school or medical school. I have a good friend who has a 200k college debt from her total education which includes a masters in clinical therapy from Pepperdine University in Malibu. She is a therapist (okay, enough with the jokes I need to see her..lol).

Anyway, the young people start out in life 20k in debt on average. They know that their parents and grandparents enjoyed a very low cost uni education. The cost of unis have skyrocketed saddling the young people with havig to pay 20k a year, 30k a year for a college education.

Also, they argue that for their entire lives as far as they can remember they have seen nothing but war. The war in Afghanistan and Iraq are almost 20 year old wars. They have traumatized by 911 as 4 or 5 year olds, a 2008 crash, a weak recovery that have left them without the great college grad jobs their fathers and grandparents enjoyed. IBM, Google, Exxon are not hiring thousands of college grads as they once did. Furthermore there is more competition for those jobs. In the 'Mad Men' era, you only competed against other white males. Not you compete against all women, all minorities. They aren't complaining about it because they grew up as social justice advocates, but its more people for less jobs.

Post #511006  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Juan?

Nope.

Traore?

Nope, although he deserves a mention for taking a knuckle-duster to a North London derby.

Post #511007  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
Traore?

Nope, although he deserves a mention for taking a knuckle-duster to a North London derby.

Added Gilbert

Post #511008  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:06 pm 

The Republicans have been trying to end our pension system called Social Security that is about 90 years old, enacted during the 1930s FDR. Total uni debt is about 1.5 Trillion. They can't pay it off. A significant percentage of them have simply stopped paying. Many have had to move back to their parents home. There is a lot of animosity that their tax dollars are paying for a lifestyle for the boomer generation (social security, medicare, etc) they won't benefit from because they are told not to expect America to be able to afford it. America has a debt well over 23 trillion. They know their generation won't be able to pay that off and it will be untenable by the time they reach full maturity. Servicing the debt is half a trillion dollars now and is expected to be a trillion at the rate Trump is spending. Trillion just to service the debt in a less than 5 trillion dollar economy. 
So they are angry and they are blatantly happy that the virus is killing off the boomer generation. There are several videos of them rubbing salt in the wounds. I've seen videos on Facebook of a long line of kids licking a candy and passing it to the next one, male and female, as a stuff it to the older generation. Despite being told of social distancing, they went to 'spring break' turning up their noses to the consequences. 
Ironically, they support a boomer. Bernie Sanders biggest niche are people under 30. I worked with a then 23 year old 4 years ago who voted for the first time for Sanders and volunteered for his campaign and donated $50. We still keep in touch and I ask him about his generation's thoughts a lot as well as my younger cousins, nephews and such. They are not happy. 

Post #511009  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:07 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Added Gilbert

Yup. That's the one I thought Bernard may have had in mind.

Post #511010  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
Added Gilbert

He was a right back.

Post #511011  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:15 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
One is probably who Bernard was thinking of when he said Ryan Garry.

Ryan Smith?

Post #511012  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:16 pm 

The boomers in power are very, very worried. And they should be. Many of them, an unknown percentage that I can determine but nonetheless a number that is big enough to scare the Peter Shilton out of society at large. They hate Trump so have no incentive to heed current warnings for the present powers in the government.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/k ... index.html
A group of young adults held a coronavirus party in Kentucky to defy orders to socially distance. Now one of them has coronavirus

https://time.com/5807073/millennials-coronavirus-who/

Post #511013  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

He was a right back.

I think you're right but he played left back for our first team that year.

Post #511014  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 pm 

:12hello-bye: Hoddgooner.

How are things both family wise and Arsenal?

Post #511015  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
:12hello-bye: Hoddgooner.

How are things both family wise and Arsenal?

Family are all good thanks mate - both the kids have moved out so won't be seeing them for a while :1cry:
All football is locked down so no matches or visits to the academy allowed
We have started having video calls to start preparing for when we return - lots to do, given all the personnel changes on the scouting side.

Post #511016  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
He was a right back.

I think you're right but he played left back for our first team that year.

Unless I’ve missed it and someone’s already mentioned him, wasn’t there a Danny Karbassion (excuse the spelling as I doubt it’s right) who might have appeared at left back?

Post #511017  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm 

Kids all grown up. You know it will happen but aren't really prepared for it.

Post #511018  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:23 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Anyway.

In 2005/06 we had 8 different left backs.

If you want to play, can you name all 8?

Cygan?

Post #511019  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:40 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
Anyway.

In 2005/06 we had 8 different left backs.

If you want to play, can you name all 8?

Cygan?

That’s a good shout Bromley.

Post #511020  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:16 pm 

Metal Djourou?

Eboue must have switched at some point??

Post #511021  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm 

Scrap that, I see Bernard already covered them.

Post #511022  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm 

Republicans in America have a hatred of Obama that is only exceeded by a hatred for the Clintons. Why? They are the smaller party and they will be damned if a Democrat (especially one of his lineage) will have any major wins in his legacy. The Republicans practice politics with an aggression and zealotry that would give Machiavelli and Sun Tzu pause.

During the worse health crisis in a century, they are attempting to dismantle one of the last remaining health benefits for the masses. Why? Because truth be told Obama's place in history, his legacy is almost assured because its sandwiched smack between arguably two of the 5 worst presidents in American history (Bush and Trump). Just being average you can look great between those two. Obamacare, our attempted version of NHS, imperfect (by design by the GOP), but much better for a country where over 60 percent of personal bankruptcies are due to medical expenses, is viewed by Republicans the same way vampires view garlic.

The fact that it leaves the most vulnerable in society at the mercy of fate in the most pressing health crisis in memory is seen as acceptable. It's being done in the most abhorrent manner. While the country is distracted by covid19. It wouldn't pass otherwise. Because even those poor Trump supporters in Kentucky without two nickels to rub together know enough to want it. Self survival can often overcome hatred.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/repu ... 18734.html

Post #511023  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm 

Gulp, Senderos??

Post #511024  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:56 pm 

The various papers seem its a cert that Aubameyang will go. Hmmm

Post #511025  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm 

Cygan and Senderos are two more (Senderos was the one I didn't get and had to look up).

PK's comment about Eboue 'switching' is so very close. Right idea, wrong man.

Post #511026  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Gulp, Senderos??

The answer, my friend, is Cygan on the wing.

The answer is Cygan on the wing.

Post #511027  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
It appears the scientists are backpedalling their view that 200,000 will die fromm the pandemic. The expectation now is nearer 20000 which it appears near as damn it the same as a normal year for deaths amongst the aged.

Why can you not see that the panic being caused is unnecessary. Isolate the old and susceptible and let the others go about their normal days work with social distancing if one feels it necessary.

The Government are promising billions to people but they cannot guarantee it will get to them sooner rather than later. Do people not realise that these sums will have to be repaid one way or the other. Vat and rates etc will have to be paid in due course as well so why not pay it if you can.

I can survive on a basic pension roughly £700 a month so why not just give everyone say a £1000 and tell them to sort things out themselves. All monies to be repaid from future earnings.

In this way we will not have a recession and we will not have so many people losing their jobs.

Why can head in the sand trolls like TG not see it makes sense.

Ffs nobody said that 80 million Turks would invade they said they could. Do we really have to explain the difference?

Good grief! They’ve built one emergency hospital in London. Now they are building two more in other cities.

Unnecessary panic? Wow. Scary that even at this advanced stage there are still people banging on about it being ‘just like normal’.

Post #511028  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
It appears the scientists are backpedalling their view that 200,000 will die fromm the pandemic. The expectation now is nearer 20000 which it appears near as damn it the same as a normal year for deaths amongst the aged.

Why can you not see that the panic being caused is unnecessary. Isolate the old and susceptible and let the others go about their normal days work with social distancing if one feels it necessary.

The Government are promising billions to people but they cannot guarantee it will get to them sooner rather than later. Do people not realise that these sums will have to be repaid one way or the other. Vat and rates etc will have to be paid in due course as well so why not pay it if you can.

I can survive on a basic pension roughly £700 a month so why not just give everyone say a £1000 and tell them to sort things out themselves. All monies to be repaid from future earnings.

In this way we will not have a recession and we will not have so many people losing their jobs.

Why can head in the sand trolls like TG not see it makes sense.

Ffs nobody said that 80 million Turks would invade they said they could. Do we really have to explain the difference?

Good grief! They’ve built one emergency hospital in London. Now they are building two more in other cities.

Unnecessary panic? Wow. Scary that even at this advanced stage there are still people banging on about it being ‘just like normal’.

Yes it’s a spectacularly stupid post that one.

It reads like a Kevin Bloody Wilson song that’s a tribute to outright stupidity

Post #511029  Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:45 pm 

Almost as desperate as we are to seek answers on how to stop it, we are also seeking 'why'.

Post #511030  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

Luhzney .............. didn't Vivas and van Bronkhurst play LB ... no idea what date .

Post #511031  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:49 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Luhzney .............. didn't Vivas and van Bronkhurst play LB ... no idea what date .

Lauren

Post #511032  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:53 am 

Some gooners will argue the reverse.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ve-got-no- ... 06209.html
I’ve got no good memories of Arsenal – Vela

Post #511033  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:18 am 

This made my day
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/23/rio-ferd ... -12445833/
Rio Ferdinand reveals how Thierry Henry made Ruud van Nistelrooy ‘sad’ at Manchester United

Post #511034  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am 

:icon_eek1:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... rom-virus/
Pastor Who Claimed Covid-19 ‘Hysteria’ Was Plot Against Trump Dies From Virus

Post #511035  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:04 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Lauren

Lauren is the last one.

Post #511036  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:32 pm 

If you're looking for something to read my flickr is still up with loads of Arsenal books.

Although not directly an Arsenal book I really can't recommend this particular one enough:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99068843@ ... 0749586530

Post #511037  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:32 pm 

DHD wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Gulp, Senderos??

The answer, my friend, is Cygan on the wing.

The answer is Cygan on the wing.

And Cygan is blowing in the wind.

Post #511038  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:44 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I didn't realise you classified looking out of place at a Trump rally a bad thing.

Some form of treatment for your Trump derangement syndrome might be advisable ; all this constant fretting could lower your immunity to Corona Virus ;

also take special care when cooking the warthog ...pig meat can harbour a lot of diseases . :5encouragement:

I hope you remembered to apply some of that rum to your hands. Gargling and imbibing isn't enough. You can catch the disease through any mucus membrance, such as if you scratch your eye or arse.

We are on full lockdown here for 21 days. Allowed to buy food but no alcohol or cigarettes. I stocked up on the former (just a few bottles of red, of course) but many people were taken by surprise and are going to have to dry out and not smoke for three weeks--or the shabeens are going to do a roaring trade. Jogging and walking dogs are also prohibited.

Only 50 people allowed in the supermarket at a time. This has led to large queues of people with no clue about social distancing forming outside.

Post #511039  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:41 pm 

I see reports of the FA wanting a July restart to finish the season. Is this simply a way to placate Liverpool. The season is absolutely dead - call it off and if by a miracle football can restart around this time then start a new season in August as always.

Post #511040  Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:44 pm 

Decaf wrote:
I hope you remembered to apply some of that rum to your hands. Gargling and imbibing isn't enough. You can catch the disease through any mucus membrance, such as if you scratch your eye or arse.

We are on full lockdown here for 21 days. Allowed to buy food but no alcohol or cigarettes. I stocked up on the former (just a few bottles of red, of course) but many people were taken by surprise and are going to have to dry out and not smoke for three weeks--or the shabeens are going to do a roaring trade. Jogging and walking dogs are also prohibited.

Only 50 people allowed in the supermarket at a time. This has led to large queues of people with no clue about social distancing forming outside.

Got some nice antibacterial soap , wash my hands frequently and give it a wipe across my moustache as added protection

The ban on alcohol is mystifying .. what's the logic behind that ?

We had unlimited access but now they've cut it back to two 24 packs of beer per person at the supermarkets . Don't know what the rules are at liquor outlets

Over 70's aren't allowed to shop but thankfully we have a son living at home who can get what is required .

I'd say a few marriages are under strain .... husband and wife stuck at home with no alternative to talk to each other .

Thankfully I have a million projects and can slither out to my shed sanctuary leaving the wife to read a book , knit , play Solataire / Sudokus crosswords

[ 571891 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12773, 12774, 12775, 12776, 12777, 12778, 12779 ... 14298  Next