Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 333 guests

Post #510841  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:17 am 

Decaf wrote:
Not always though. My vegan niece admits she panic bought organic vegetables in Cape Town yesterday. The 'oh hang on' moment came too late.

Frightening times indeed.

"When panic buying began, I resisted. Now I'm paying for it"

https://www.smh.com.au/national/when-pa ... 54boz.html

Post #510842  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:16 am 

A challenge for us all - match Messi
https://www.livesoccertv.com/news/33709 ... -internet/

Post #510843  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:36 am 

The state of California, 1230 km long, roughly 40 million people, an economy that would gain it entry into the G8, is on lockdown. Had I remained one week later, I may not have gotten out. They are expecting 30-70 percent infection rate.

Meanwhile, politicians on committees that had a briefing about the possible scale and scope, briefed their 1% donors first, while 'he who shall not be named' was minimizing it. He had the same briefing mind you, in fact in far more detail which his office demands.

One of the the Congresspersons sold their stock. Just happens the two politicians are Republican. No coincidence there.

Post #510844  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 am 

Still no toilet paper at the shops.

It's seems it's the new currency.

Should call it buttcoin.

Post #510845  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 am 

warrior wrote:

Should call it buttcoin.

good one :58big-emoticons: :42laughter:

Post #510846  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 am 

It seems a lot of bars in London are still packed with people. Do they not watch the news or do they just not care?.

All bars and clubs etc should be closed for the forseeable until we get on top of this virus. Look at Italy, even with the lockdowns they are unable to halt its progress.

We need to act decisively not dither.

Post #510847  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 am 

I saw a doctor suggesting that the coronavirus will probably come in waves. It will likely die down a bit in summer and move to the southern hemisphere as temperatures drop there, only to return here in the early autumn and probably with even greater force.

Not great. I any think talk of football returning anytime soon is just pie-in-the-sky unless a vaccine or effective treatment is found.

Post #510848  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:52 am 

socrates wrote:
I saw a doctor suggesting that the corinavirus will probably come in waves. It will likely die down a bit in summer and move to the southern hemisphere as temperatures drop there, only to return here in the early autumn and probably with even greater force.

Not great. I any think talk of football returning anytime soon is just pie-in-the-sky unless a vaccine or effective treatment is found.

I am starting to see it as a big wake up for the whole world. People who whinged before will now realise things weren’t as bad as they thought. Football needs to have a hard look at itself and ask how did we end up paying players 350k per week when many people just struggle to exist. Then there is the randomness of who contracts it and who survives. Plus all the *%^@ we accumulate which we don’t really need. Do we need 20 casual shirts and five pairs of shoes with some stupid moniker on them. Don’t get me wrong I am just as guilty as the next person. Currently watching some Aust football -A League and how surreal it is when someone scored and basically didn’t bother celebrating. No playing to the crowd.

Post #510849  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 am 

Hazuki wrote:
For me, the most important point illustrated in the video is this; if you take drastic measures like a complete lockdown (shutting down schools, non-essential work places etc) too soon, you risk just putting the whole thing off. It's impossible to keep that kind of lockdown up for several months at a time, meaning timing becomes hugely important. Otherwise what will happen is just that you will slow down the spread temporarily, and then when it's gone down and you open society up again it will start all over again. I think that part is being missed by many who are calling for different types of lockdowns.

That is a very good point, except that in the Northern Hemisphere, locking down now asap seems a no brainer.
a) Summer is just around the corner and that will almost certainly reduce the spread of the virus. So we are not talking about an indefinite wait. I do think the chances of a very early vaccine are remote--and Trump's attempt to deregulate is very dangerous--there are very good reasons for strong regulation around new medicines.
b) The spread has resumed its exponential rise (the global death toll had doubled, from 5000 to 10000 in the last week)--which was temporarily checked precisely because China and South Korea acted so decisively that they managed to flatten their curves.

It's a tougher decision on our side of the equator. In SA we've gone the full monty 'nip it in the bud' route, but in three months we'll be in the middle of winter and then what? The signs are not good--social cohesion and state capacity (both in terms of health systems and ability to enforce other measures) may not be great in Europe but in South Africa it almost is non-existent. There is also the economic fallout, bearing in mind unemployment is already 40% here. I just can't see how we can lock down the country for months on end.

Post #510850  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Anyway, the reason I logged on was I found a quiz I did for a supporter thing years ago and thought maybe some might want to play. If context is needed it was done in 2005, and there are no half points and no trick questions (ie q4 where it says 'Arsenal' assume it means in the history of the club regardless of the name at the time).

1. 'After the revolution we must worship the victorious' was a tag for a Le Shark advertising campaign featuring which double winner?

2. We're moving to a new ground soon but what is the current ground called?

3. How does a Primrose stop a goal?

4. How many times (to nearest 10) did Arsenal's first team play in Woolwich?

5. Jennings, Rice, Nelson, O'Leary, Brady, Stapleton. Who is the seventh?

6. Bergkamp. St James'. Who was the keeper?

7. Our record score at Wembley is 7-1. Who were we playing?

8. Who was Pele's favourite Arsenal keeper?

9. Who was told by the ref not to be greedy at Villa Park when he complained his shot had gone over the line?

10. Who managed us to a title in the '30s, but isn't called Chapman or Allison?

11. You're Terry Neill. Five minutes to go in the Cup Final and you're 2-0 up. Who do you bring on?

12. (I can't read this one properly because of a beer stain so you can all have a point here).

13. Who EEGd Rushie's record up?

14. Which 'City' did we score 26 goals against in one game?

15. Name our scorers in all 3 1993 Cup Final matches?

16. Spell Boro's surname.

17. Who was Arsenal's record scorer before Ian Wright?

18. Who did Vieira make his debut against?

19. What is the most dangerous piece of gardening equipment if you're an Arsenal double winner?

20. What was the previous name of Arsenal Station?

As an aside 'gambling debt' will not be accepted as an answer to any question.

I'll stick the answers up tomorrow.

1. No idea. I’ll guess Charlie George.
2. Arsenal Stadium, not Highbury.
3. Presume it has something to do with Bob Wilson. His specialty was diving at the feet of forwards through on him with a one on one.
4. 1886 to 1813, so 27 years. Not sure how many teams were in Arsenal’s league but in the first years I wouldn’t have thought very many. I’ll say 400.
5. John Devine was Irish, so I’ll go for him.
6. I haven’t got the faintest idea who was Newcastle’s keeper that day and can’t even think of someone to guess, so pass.
7. Feel as though I should know this but I don’t, so pass.
8. Don’t know so I’ll guess Bob Wilson.
9. Ted Drake.
10. Tom Whittaker.
11. Steve Walford.
13. Charlie Nicholas.
14. No idea.
15. Ian Wright, Steve Morrow, Andy Linighan.
16. Don’t know what this question is about.
17. Cliff Bastin.
18. Sheffield Wednesday. Along with Brady against Birmingham one of the two best debuts I’ve seen.
19. Did someone cut themselves with shears?
20. Gillespie Road.

Post #510851  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am 

warrior wrote:

Should call it buttcoin.

:laughing7:

Post #510852  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:19 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:
I saw a doctor suggesting that the corinavirus will probably come in waves. It will likely die down a bit in summer and move to the southern hemisphere as temperatures drop there, only to return here in the early autumn and probably with even greater force.

I am starting to see it as a big wake up for the whole world. People who whinged before will now realise things weren’t as bad as they thought. Football needs to have a hard look at itself and ask how did we end up paying players 350k per week when many people just struggle to exist. Then there is the randomness of who contracts it and who survives. Plus all the *%^@ we accumulate which we don’t really need. Do we need 20 casual shirts and five pairs of shoes with some stupid moniker on them. Don’t get me wrong I am just as guilty as the next person. Currently watching some Aust football -A League and how surreal it is when someone scored and basically didn’t bother celebrating. No playing to the crowd.

We had the HIV pandemic (killed about 30 million people globally and which reduced life expectancy in South Africa by about 20 years), the Global Financial Crisis, and global warming. Not to mention even more purely SIWs like electing W or Trump. I'm not sure any permanent lessons have been learned from any of these. So I'm not sure that COVID will be any different. We're quite good at gearing up and dealing with the specifics when we are forced to but the deep lessons are never learned. Its the price we pay for living in liberal societies with all the lovely stuff we are so used to--and at bottom I think people are willing to pay that price and damn the torpedos!

Post #510853  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
Anyway, the reason I logged on was I found a quiz I did for a supporter thing years ago and thought maybe some might want to play. If context is needed it was done in 2005, and there are no half points and no trick questions (ie q4 where it says 'Arsenal' assume it means in the history of the club regardless of the name at the time).

1. 'After the revolution we must worship the victorious' was a tag for a Le Shark advertising campaign featuring which double winner?

9. Who was told by the ref not to be greedy at Villa Park when he complained his shot had gone over the line?

11. You're Terry Neill. Five minutes to go in the Cup Final and you're 2-0 up. Who do you bring on?

12. (I can't read this one properly because of a beer stain so you can all have a point here).

19. What is the most dangerous piece of gardening equipment if you're an Arsenal double winner?

3. Presume it has something to do with Bob Wilson. His specialty was diving at the feet of forwards through on him with a one on one.
4. 1886 to 1813, so 27 years. Not sure how many teams were in Arsenal’s league but in the first years I wouldn’t have thought very many. I’ll say 400.
6. I haven’t got the faintest idea who was Newcastle’s keeper that day and can’t even think of someone to guess, so pass.
9. Ted Drake.
10. Tom Whittaker.
11. Steve Walford.
13. Charlie Nicholas.
14. No idea.
17. Cliff Bastin.
18. Sheffield Wednesday. Along with Brady against Birmingham one of the two best debuts I’ve seen.
20. Gillespie Road.

Without googling:
I'd agree with most of those.
For 1. I'd guess Henry. For 9. I'd guess Tony Woodcock (he scored 5 in a league game at Villa Park). 16 Primacec

Post #510854  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

9. Ted Drake.
10. Tom Whittaker.
11. Steve Walford.
13. Charlie Nicholas.
14. No idea.
17. Cliff Bastin.
20. Gillespie Road.

Hey Bernard, (6) hmm, Shay Given?, I think (7) is probably Charlton in a wartime Cup final, (8) maybe Jack Kelsey (Wales played Brazil in the 1958 World Cup finals), (16) Primorac.

Post #510855  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

1 Henry
2 Arsenal Stadium
3 Bob Wilson
4 510
5 John Devine
6?
7Aston Villa
8 Jack Kelsey
9 Ted Drake
10 Joe Shaw
11 Steve Salford
13 Charlie Nicholas
14 is this a Fairs Cup Question
16Primoric ?
17 Cliff Bastin
19 Lawn mower and Charlie George
20 Gillespie Road

Post #510856  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:01 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

We had the HIV pandemic (killed about 30 million people globally and which reduced life expectancy in South Africa by about 20 years), the Global Financial Crisis, and global warming. Not to mention even more purely SIWs like electing W or Trump. I'm not sure any permanent lessons have been learned from any of these. So I'm not sure that COVID will be any different. We're quite good at gearing up and dealing with the specifics when we are forced to but the deep lessons are never learned. Its the price we pay for living in liberal societies with all the lovely stuff we are so used to--and at bottom I think people are willing to pay that price and damn the torpedos!

Generally one segment of the population or world was affected and everyone else just went on with life. This may very well be different.

Post #510857  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am 

Decaf wrote:
Without googling:
I'd agree with most of those.
For 1. I'd guess Henry. For 9. I'd guess Tony Woodcock (he scored 5 in a league game at Villa Park). 16 Primacec

You could well be right with Henry for 1. I was just trying to think of someone playing at around the same time as Pele. I don’t remember Primacec, so if you’re right well done. With Woodcock or Drake, it just seems a more 1930s thing a referee would say than a 1980s comment.

Post #510858  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:30 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
[quote="Bernard]
9. Ted Drake.
10. Tom Whittaker.
11. Steve Walford.
13. Charlie Nicholas.
14. No idea.
17. Cliff Bastin.
20. Gillespie Road.[/quote]
Hey Bernard, (6) hmm, Shay Given?, I think (7) is probably Charlton in a wartime Cup final, (8) maybe Jack Kelsey (Wales played Brazil in the 1958 World Cup finals), (16) Primorac.[/quote]

I was in Newcastle that day and I’ve no idea who was in goal for them. If it was Given, well done. You’re probably right about Kelsey. I didn’t know Wales played Brazil in 1958. If 7 is Charlton, I’m impressed. I don’t recall Primorac, but now you’ve mentioned it the name rings a bell.

Post #510859  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
I don’t recall Primorac, but now you’ve mentioned it the name rings a bell.

That's more like it. My spelling went out for throw-in.

Post #510860  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am 

socrates wrote:
I saw a doctor suggesting that the coronavirus will probably come in waves. It will likely die down a bit in summer and move to the southern hemisphere as temperatures drop there, only to return here in the early autumn and probably with even greater force.

Just a guess but I think we are likely only in attempt 1 of several social distancing attempts over the next 24 months.

You cant shut everything down forever surely ?

Isolation 1 .... open things back up...... normality...... infection spreads again ....... isolation 2 ... etc etc

Even if a vaccine is produced it will take ages to implement it.

Life will change for everyone over the next couple of years but people haven’t realised it yet and are still going to pubs, talking about this season’s football season etc etc

Post #510861  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Just a guess but I think we are likely only in attempt 1 of several social distancing attempts over the next 24 months.

Isolation 1 .... open things back up...... normality...... infection spreads again ....... isolation 2 ... etc etc

Life will change for everyone over the next couple of years but people haven’t realised it yet and are still going to pubs, talking about this season’s football season etc etc

Hi TG,

I would tend to agree. As I said earlier, talk of finishing the football season in the summer is probably pie-in-the-sky unless an effective treatment or vaccine is found.

There has been some promising anecdotal evidence that malaria drugs chloroquine and hydrochloroquine, together with the antibiotic azithromycin, are effective in fighting the coronavirus and have removed 100% of the virus from sufferers in 6 days. This is welcome news but so far the sample studies are small and so no definite conclusions can be drawn, plus those medicines have side effects too so not everyone can take them safely.

Post #510862  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:58 pm 

Does $2bn buy the best stadium? Every Premier League ground ranked from 1 to 20

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... f4e668715a

Well we came in 6th here.

Post #510863  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi TG,

I would tend to agree. As I said earlier, talk of finishing the football season in the summer is probably pie-in-the-sky unless an effective treatment or vaccine is found.

There has been some promising anecdotal evidence that malaria drugs chloroquine and hydrochloroquine, together with the antibiotic azithromycin, are effective in fighting the coronavirus and have removed 100% of the virus from sufferers in 6 days. This is welcome news but so far the sample studies are small and so no definite conclusions can be drawn, plus those medicines have side effects too so not everyone can take them safely.

Antibiotics only work on bacteria, and have no effect on viruses.

Post #510864  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 pm 

The virus is likely to act like its distant cousin the flu and be seasonal and likely flare up in the winter months as its doing now.
If that's the case and lets say we start the season in the summer because cases have died down. It may be an annual event that cases rise dramatically in the winter as it does with the common cold and flu. So, cases rise, the league suspends and its going to 'suspend and repeat' each season.

So, we may have to either accept the virus as part of society and football, as a seasonal event like the common flu but much, much deadlier or what else? Stop football?

We can't stop the common cold or flu. And if this is nastier, we won't be able to stop it either. I am not confident there will be a 'cure' as we know it but we get a shot that will be an enhanced flu shot and it will be mandatory. So that will bring up the issue of the anti vaccine crowds.

Bottom line is this will be one huge cluster ****.

Post #510865  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
It seems a lot of bars in London are still packed with people. Do they not watch the news or do they just not care?

London amid coronavirus: Empty shelves but busy bars

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/19/uk/l ... index.html

Post #510866  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

So hard to gauge the seriousness of it.
Out of 'closed cases' the stats are
Deaths: 10,405
Recovered: 89,056
Deathrate: 10.22%.
That's probably significantly overstated because of under-reporting of recovered cases. But its scary. And by the same token 150 000 is probably a major underestimate of the number of people currently ill.

As for a vaccine: all that Trump cares about is getting a credible vaccine before the US elections. He really doesn't care if there are massive side effects that show up later. Those can be blamed on Democrats/Chinese/immigrants etc. Or, he'll shift to saying he was never for the vaccine, and the Republican Party and his base will go along with it.

Post #510867  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 pm 

Ex-Premier League footballer Peter Whittingham dies at age 35 after fall

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/foot ... index.html

Post #510868  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:19 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

1 Henry
2 Arsenal Stadium
3 Bob Wilson
4 510
5 John Devine
6?
7Aston Villa
8 Jack Kelsey
9 Ted Drake
10 Joe Shaw
11 Steve Salford
13 Charlie Nicholas
14 is this a Fairs Cup Question
16Primoric ?
17 Cliff Bastin
19 Lawn mower and Charlie George
20 Gillespie Road

Bloody auto correct. Walford not Salford

Post #510869  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm 

Hospital critical care units are being overwhelmed already due to the numbers of new coronavirus cases.

Scary times because if the Italy model is anything to go by we could be in big trouble in a matter of weeks.

Post #510870  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
It seems a lot of bars in London are still packed with people. Do they not watch the news or do they just not care?.

All bars and clubs etc should be closed for the forseeable until we get on top of this virus. Look at Italy, even with the lockdowns they are unable to halt its progress.

We need to act decisively not dither.

Last Saturday there was loads of pics and videos of crowded pubs in Temple Bar (centre of Dublin) circulating on social media. The government shut down all the pubs on Monday - the day before St Patrick's Day. It had to be done, because people were disregarding the request to observe social distancing.

Post #510871  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:12 pm 

Re trying to get the season finished...I read that the favoured option is to get the games played behind closed doors. That's if there is still a lockdown at the end of April. The idea is to use about three grounds in the Midlands area for all the remaining games. To be staggered obviously. This is just for the PL fixtures.

Post #510872  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:37 pm 

Many if not most of us have been on this forum for a long time. Almost 20 years for myself. Where did the time fly?
No matter what, for all the long timers on here including myself, it is a significant part of our lives. We've all shared good times and bad times, football and non football related.
I hope we all keep posting despite the lack of Arsenal and football related news. If for nothing else, for the Gleiber family and Steve's memory.
We can check in on each other. There will logically be more non football related posts and news. But no matter what let's keep the forum traffic going. It helps the algorithm as well for those google searches so new people can find us.
I'll do my share and maintain my seemingly 3rd eye analysis of Arsenal. :42laughter: As well as other things.

PS: No, I'm not changing my present settings either. :1laughter:

Post #510873  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:52 pm 

Football related thought. I wonder how the lay off will affect the players? As well as the fears of catching the virus? It will be interesting to see if the form of some clubs changes significantly. Hopefully ours will improve.

Post #510874  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:20 pm 

richie wrote:
Re trying to get the season finished...I read that the favoured option is to get the games played behind closed doors. That's if there is still a lockdown at the end of April. The idea is to use about three grounds in the Midlands area for all the remaining games. To be staggered obviously. This is just for the PL fixtures.

Seriously mate how can anyone have a favoured option? Britain’s curve on corona virus is steeper and growing quicker than Italy where 4000 people have died.

They can’t even say when they will re open the boozers.

Post #510875  Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
richie wrote:

Seriously mate how can anyone have a favoured option? Britain’s curve on corona virus is steeper and growing quicker than Italy where 4000 people have died.

I think the announcement by the PL is daft. Footballers are not exempt from social distancing protocols. Covid19 is the most significant event since WW2. The notion that a football season needs to be completed in the midst of this utter chaos is absurd.

Post #510876  Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:23 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think the announcement by the PL is daft. Footballers are not exempt from social distancing protocols. Covid19 is the most significant event since WW2. The notion that a football season needs to be completed in the midst of this utter chaos is absurd.

Everyone needs to shut the *%^@ up about football for the time being. There’s been zero testing and little enforced isolation so far with people in packed pubs even today after the prime minister said stop. My mate said he’s struggling to stop his 18 year old going out with her mates. Keeping this thing in check is impossible.

Anywhere up to 4000 people could die over the next 6 weeks, think about that 4000 souls, funerals and the despair it brings. Just give it a break for a few weeks, get this thing under control then review where we are.

Post #510877  Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:18 am 

Offski tomorrow. BA flights seem relatively unaffected, albeit shifted around a bit to reflect the vast numbers that have been cancelled and Gatwick’s reduced hours of operation. Still only 6 cases on the island but this hotel’s population halves day on day. I sort of know what to expect when we get home and I’m not really looking forward to it, but I need to get back and exercise some sort of limited control on our lives.

I toggled between Boris and Trump today as they both gave their pressers. Boris is a buffoon who thinks all you need to do is biff Coronavirus on the nose and give it a bloody good seeing-to. Let’s get corvid-19 done!

However Trump is a certifiable nutter - a fukwit of the first order. He has opined, with no scientific evidence whatsoever, that some 1940s malaria cure is going to be “the answer” and will shortly halt the progress of the ‘Chinese’ virus, as he calls it. He’s spouting this to the world. A journo asks - quite reasonably - why the frightened American public should believe these clearly personal views and Trump goes nuclear on him. Media (well, most of them) is currently going gang-busters on Trump for such an obvious attack on the freedom of the press.

I get the impression Trump is in real trouble on this. He clearly has a relaxed grip on the science and indeed on the whole unfolding shitstorm. Sadly, I don’t think our PM is much different but at least he’s only in charge of a small, independent and pretty insignificant country, albeit with 65 million people coming to terms with an impending cull of our elders.

Tossers, both of em. But hey, at least we’re all free.

Post #510878  Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Everyone needs to shut the *%^@ up about football for the time being. There’s been zero testing and little enforced isolation so far with people in packed pubs even today after the prime minister said stop. My mate said he’s struggling to stop his 18 year old going out with her mates. Keeping this thing in check is impossible.

Anywhere up to 4000 people could die over the next 6 weeks, think about that 4000 souls, funerals and the despair it brings. Just give it a break for a few weeks, get this thing under control then review where we are.

I disagree. Its pretty unhealthy to think and talk of nothing but the pandemic all day (I find its quite scary that just about all other news is being blotted out on channels like Al Jazeera).

That's not the same as downplaying it. We have to live with this in a mentally sustainable way, probably for months at least.

I also can't see why it is wrong for the league to work out plans for different scenarios--in fact, it is correct for them to do so. If the medical advice is not to go ahead, then I'm sure they'll follow that.

Post #510879  Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
richie wrote:

I was only saying what I read and after all this is a football forum. There have been previous posts re how they see the season panning out. It's a little dictatorial to tell people to stop writing football related posts on a football forum. Decisions need to be made to plan for the future after all this has calmed down.

I am fully aware of the seriousness of this virus and I'm in one of the at risk groups but it's also a bit of a diversion to discuss non virus stuff. I welcome the closure of pubs etc as it was evident a lot of people were being too cavalier about it. I'm filtering the news at the moment just for my own peace of mind. I know what I need to know and not taking it lightly at all but I also need to have a break from it as well.

Post #510880  Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 am 

DHD wrote:
Offski tomorrow. BA flights seem relatively unaffected, albeit shifted around a bit to reflect the vast numbers that have been cancelled and Gatwick’s reduced hours of operation. Still only 6 cases on the island but this hotel’s population halves day on day. I sort of know what to expect when we get home and I’m not really looking forward to it, but I need to get back and exercise some sort of limited control on our lives.

I toggled between Boris and Trump today as they both gave their pressers. Boris is a buffoon who thinks all you need to do is biff Coronavirus on the nose and give it a bloody good seeing-to. Let’s get corvid-19 done!

However Trump is a certifiable nutter - a fukwit of the first order. He has opined, with no scientific evidence whatsoever, that some 1940s malaria cure is going to be “the answer” and will shortly halt the progress of the ‘Chinese’ virus, as he calls it. He’s spouting this to the world. A journo asks - quite reasonably - why the frightened American public should believe these clearly personal views and Trump goes nuclear on him. Media (well, most of them) is currently going gang-busters on Trump for such an obvious attack on the freedom of the press.

I get the impression Trump is in real trouble on this. He clearly has a relaxed grip on the science and indeed on the whole unfolding shitstorm. Sadly, I don’t think our PM is much different but at least he’s only in charge of a small, independent and pretty insignificant country, albeit with 65 million people coming to terms with an impending cull of our elders.

Tossers, both of em. But hey, at least we’re all free.

Greetings DHD. I think you sum up the difference between Trump and Boris well and I think it is significant. Boris, despite his manifest flaws, is smart and even capable of leadership and even of admitting he is wrong (in modern politics you never actually admit you are wrong publicly ... but I think Trump isn't even capable of admitting to himself the possibility that he could be wrong about anything). Trump is as mad as a hatter, and although cunning, as thick as pigshite.

Whether Trump is in trouble depends on his base and the stance of the republican party. That seems to be holding and Biden is about as inspiring as a dead jellyfish.
So I'd say he's just about OK politically. I hope you are right and I am wrong on this one!

[ 571972 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12769, 12770, 12771, 12772, 12773, 12774, 12775 ... 14300  Next