Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 62 guests

Post #496961  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am 

Niall wrote:
I think VAR is a huge success so far, both decisions were spot on last night and even Barca had a non-penalty overturned on Tuesday.

If VAR had been around in 2005, we'd still be unbeaten.

I think it might be stretching it a bit to say that VAR would have allowed us to go on a 15 year unbeaten run :icon_mrgreen:

Post #496962  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If we get one tonight Napoli will need four, so we should be close to safe. It would take a huge balls up to do that. Should we get a goal, Napoli will regret not going for a goal at the Emirates more than they did (despite missing two sitters they didn't attack us that much).

Yeah, surely got to be the approach tonight - go all out for the away goal, Normally tie over, but with our defence.....

Leno, Kos, Socratis, AMN and Monreal are reasonably confidence inspiring. Surely we can get a goal at least and hold them to 3 or less. My biggest worry is that someone is going to get sent off while we're fending off the initial Napoli onslaught.

Post #496963  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
I'd say the away goal doesn't succeed in making the away team attack most of the time.

There's a big difference between 'making the away team attack most of the time' and 'making the away team attack more than they would without the away goal rule'. I think the latter phrase is both more realistic and closer to why it was introduced.

There will surely be countless examples, but our game tonight is a very clear one. Me and Niall have discussed the benefit of scoring tonight, and you have implied it too dec.

I understand fully why it was introduced. That does not mean that the intention has come to fruition. I think it is a distortion which can cause a team's approach to go either way. And as tension-filled as it can make some games, it can also completely kill off a game.

Post #496964  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
dec wrote:
For Llorente's goal the ref was only shown one angle over and over again. Who decided that? The replays before the VAR review by the ref had several view of it from different angles and in one of those you can see the ball hit his arm and then his thigh. But the ref never got to see that.

There was the VAR offisde incident in the Chelsea v Totts game where Chelsea came up with a view from a different camera angle which was in direct contrast to the VAR one. I've no issue with its use for clear and obvious mistakes but it is being used for marginal decisions and for some reason the footage being made available to refs is not always comprehensive.

Also, the thought process seems to be "How can we disallow this goal?" Goal line technology is great. VAR is a mess.

Saw that about the different view but thought he had touched in and that ref had considered it ball to hand.

As an unbiased ref {cough cough} imo he made the right decision.

I agree it is the right decision. Although apparently the rule changes on handball coming in next year would have disallowed it.
My issue as noted above was the lack of the full set of replays available to the ref. Now he may have come to the same conclusion that it was still a good goal, but when he made his decision he made a very clear gesture that the ball hit Llorente's hip. If the ref was simply looking to see if it hit his hand in order to make his decision he wasn't shown the only angle that made it clear it hit his hand.

VAR will work for matters of fact, just as goal line technology has worked. For everything else it is still subjective but the refs will be given 2 go's at getting it right. VAR will cause upset and confusion and certainly suits the TV fan more than the match day fan but more results will be fair because of it

Post #496965  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm 

Niall wrote:
I think VAR is a huge success so far, both decisions were spot on last night and even Barca had a non-penalty overturned on Tuesday.

....and we'd have beaten Liverpool in the 01 cup final.
....and possibly beaten barca in the CL in 06, Eto'o was a whisker offside for the equaliser - only visible on super slow mo VAR
Are there any major finals where things would have been worse for us if VAR was in play?

Sanchez handball for the 1st goal v Chelsea in the FA Cup final a few years back?

Post #496966  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm 

I'm so nervous about tonight.
Want us to go through so badly.
Worried we are going to rue all those missed chances to add to the 2 goals we scored last week.
I hope not.

Post #496967  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm 

Bradley Welsh, 'Trainspotting' actor, shot dead in Scotland

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/18/uk/b ... index.html

Post #496968  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I also love the away goals rule. It add that bonkers element, it encourages the away team to attack, and it makes the dreaded extra time and penalties unlikely.

Encouraging the away team to attack was the main thinking behind the introduction of the away goal rule. I'm not sure, but I've a feeling someone here moaned about it, and in giving their reasons why it was no longer justified failed to mention that principle reason for bringing it in. I'd say it still works. City will know they lost because they failed to score an away goal and Tottenham did. There is a big incentive to score an away goal.

If we get one tonight Napoli will need four, so we should be close to safe. It would take a huge balls up to do that. Should we get a goal, Napoli will regret not going for a goal at the Emirates more than they did (despite missing two sitters they didn't attack us that much).

Having said that, I find penalty shoot outs exciting and I'd have thought many people do.

I’m old enough to remember tossing a coin to decide in the event of a draw in Europe. And one incident where the coin stuck on its edge in the mud and had to be tossed again. Those were the days eh?

Post #496969  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:58 pm 

dec wrote:
Niall wrote:

I think it might be stretching it a bit to say that VAR would have allowed us to go on a 15 year unbeaten run :icon_mrgreen:

:42laughter:

Post #496970  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:59 pm 

1Cech
5Papastathopoulos
6Koscielny
18Monreal
15Maitland-Niles
11Torreira
34Xhaka
31Kolasinac
8Ramsey
9Lacazette
14Aubameyang

Substitutes
4Elneny
7Mkhitaryan
10Özil
17Iwobi
19Leno
20Mustafi
29Guendouzi

Post #496971  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:02 pm 

dec wrote:
I understand fully why it was introduced. That does not mean that the intention has come to fruition. I think it is a distortion which can cause a team's approach to go either way.

Sorry your argument still doesn't convince me. The benefit of scoring away surely makes teams more to attack away. I accept it is a distortion in that teams scoring the same number of goals over the two legs may not go to a penalty shoot out. But what makes you think it makes away teams more likely to defend, if that's what you mean by 'it is a distortion which can cause a team's approach to go the other way'? After all, that followed your point the intention to make away teams attack more may not have come to fruition.

Post #496972  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:04 pm 

Ballsy team and game plan from Emery

You can say what you want about him but you could never say he’s scared of making big decisions or changing things if he doesn’t think it will work.

I do really respect this aspect of his management

Post #496973  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Dare I suggest the added incentive of scoring away due to the away goal rule may have influenced the decision to play both Lacazette and Aubameyang?

Post #496974  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Dare I suggest the added incentive of scoring away due to the away goal rule may have influenced the decision to play both Lacazette and Aubameyang?

I know what you mean but he also knows they will come at us.

Mourinho wouldn’t have played 2 strikers for example

Post #496975  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:46 pm 

I think I called that line up.
Back 5, 2 holding mids, Ramsey instead of Özil and two strikers.

Exactly the team I would have picked. Come on you gooners

Post #496976  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think I called that line up.
Back 5, 2 holding mids, Ramsey instead of Özil and two strikers.

Exactly the team I would have picked. Come on you gooners

Čech instead of Leno

Post #496977  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm 

Initial feeling is that this ref is a homer and will give us nothing. Some strange decisions already.

Post #496978  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 pm 

As per the first leg the only thing they have is a run between defenders from insigne and a chip ball over the top.

If our defenders fall for that bollocks we’ve got no future for several years

Post #496979  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm 

What’s happened to the whole play it out from the back thingy ?

Were hitting more long kicks than during George’s Alzheimer’s years today

Post #496980  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:37 pm 

Yesssssss!!!!!!

Post #496981  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:38 pm 

:21encouragement: :21encouragement: :21encouragement:
Lacazette!!

Post #496982  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:44 pm 

They need 4 goals, be lovely to keep a clean sheet.

Post #496983  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 pm 

Near perfect first half. One or two little scares otherwise fairly untroubled, and that killer away goal.
Just the Ramsey injury a bit of a shame - let's hope it's only minor.
We'll have to go some to blow it from here.

Post #496984  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 pm 

Brilliant from lacazette. A commanding position. Arsenal have never let in 4 unanswered goa... still work to do. I thought insigne when he got booked for kicking the ball away it did hit his shoulder not his arm, bit harsh that one. I think they’ve thoroughly pissed off the ref - they should be sanctioned for surrounding him like that after the whistle- hopefully should work in our favour second half, I can see them losing their heads a bit. Also Anyone see why all the fuss over Koulibaly yet?

Post #496985  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 pm 

Really like maitland Nile’s.

If he could firm his potential a little he could be very decent

Post #496986  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 pm 

Sad state of affairs that these guys are the second best team in Italy.

Post #496987  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:28 pm 

I've still got a spare ticket for Sunday. It's a kids ticket £10 and if anyone wants to take their kid to agame we can swap your one for my two.

Well worth a tenner........................

Post #496988  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:35 pm 

dec wrote:

Credit to us though Dec, comms are pointing out that Juve are the only side to win in Naples this season, and they beat Liverpool and held PSG in the CL.

Post #496989  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

Credit to us though Dec, comms are pointing out that Juve are the only side to win in Naples this season, and they beat Liverpool and held PSG in the CL.

When Emery's team selection isnt wonky we're a decent side.

Post #496990  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

I'd say our performance in the home leg was one of our best of the season. We played very well. Napoli have been dire though.

Post #496991  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm 

dec wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I'd say our performance in the home leg was one of our best of the season. We played very well. Napoli have been dire though.

I've really enjoyed seeing a disciplined, well organised second half performance with all the players looking like they know what they're supposed to be doing.

Post #496992  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

I've really enjoyed seeing a disciplined, well organised second half performance with all the players looking like they know what they're supposed to be doing.

Yes indeed.

Post #496993  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 pm 

Great win and a very professional performance.

Obviously the away goal killed the tie.

Some very good performances, Kos, Sok, AMN, Kola, Lacazette and Aubameyang in particular.

Shame about Rambo, I guess his season could be over if its a bad hammie.

Job done with fair less trouble than we would have anticipated.

Not sure what's up with Mika, a few weeks a go I thought he was beginning to find his form and looking a player but lately he's been diabolical.

Post #496994  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 pm 

What a wonderful performance.
Mature disciplined and assured
Was having kittens about this game and we have negotiated it beautifully.
So lovely watching the last 20 minutes almosr stress free.
Most people thought we would get knocked out so well done boys.

Post #496995  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 pm 

dec wrote:
I'd say the away goal doesn't succeed in making the away team attack most of the time. Man City took the game to Tottenham for most of the tie. Over the 180 minutes, they were unquestionably the team that attacked more. They went out.

I have two problems with it:

1. There really shouldn't be a reward for scoring the same amount of goals as your opponent.

2. Although it sometimes adds to the excitement it can also kill games in an instant. Tonight's game for example. Say Napoli go in at half time 1-0 up. The tie is beautifully balanced. Say it's still 1-0 with 20 mins left. Tension is building but then Arsenal score and it's all over barring the most unlikely comeback. Worse still is if a team such as Atletico scores an away goal after 5 minutes of the first leg. Cue 175 mins of parking the bus and general shitehousery.

The thinking behind it is admirable and it was probably a very good idea in the days before the back pass rule. But for me it is far too much of a distortion.

I like the old league cup rule - away goals only count after extra time...

Post #496996  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm 

Bar Rambo's probably overdue hamstring twinge (the main reason he isn't worth £250k a week for us is that his hamstrings simply don't allow him continuous games when on form), that went about as well as it possibly could. A really professional performance.

Post #496997  Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:52 pm 

Aren't Napoli fans supposed to be ultra-passionate? The stand opposite the main camera tonight looked practically empty.

Post #496998  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 am 

Well, we got through and again, we kept a clean sheet away. Now, if we can transfer that to the EPL. I am in Los Angeles for a couple days more and stopped by the Fox and Hounds pub to watch the match. The LA Arsenal club is there as well as Chelsea's. The Chelsea fans, which has a few Brits were in full song in their half of the pub and their songs were funny I must admit. They have a Fabregas song about him having a magic hat. There is a Giroud song about he used to a wanker but now he's a Blue. And songs calling Chelsea "The Chelsea" and a Library/Highbury song.

I didn't think lightening would strike twice for Ajax but it has. Has a feel like our run to the final. I can't see them winning everything though. But, pedants may remind me that one can't say.

More Fox and Hounds pix. This was before the crowd. Which one is the handsome and charming American Gooner? hahaha

Attachments:

Post #496999  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:41 am 

Very controlled play from the Gunners. Matured and assured. Good to see the defence working well as a unit.

Sokratis was multi-tasking as player and counsellor as well :42laughter:

Post #497000  Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 am 

It is a very fine balancing act in terms of team selections from now on.

I still think both routes to the CL are very attainable but remain incredibly difficult and fraught with danger. Thus, we cannot afford to prioratise one over the other.
Players will need to be rotated for sure so Emery must get his selections spot-on for each game.

The route to the Europa final has only one away game which is helpful but it's a knock-out competition where we are still just one bad performance away from going out. Even if we reach the final it still remains something of a lottery, as anything can happen in a one-off game.

The top four route remains very tricky because of the away fixtures, however let's hope the Napoli away performance will give us some confidence.

It will certainly make for an interesting few weeks in which our season could be a glorious victory or a valiant failure.

[ 571782 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12422, 12423, 12424, 12425, 12426, 12427, 12428 ... 14295  Next