Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 103 guests

Post #515081  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 am 

Rich wrote:
Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

That's really good. One match out of the last seven that isn't a definite win on paper.

Post #515082  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am 

Maybe it's a good thing to have more of the difficult away games early in the season? Who knows how things are come spring, we might see crowds return by then, making away games a whole different experience.

Post #515083  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I recall watching Gnabry in one of his first starts for us and he looked good from the onset. I recall specifically posting about it and even exiled stop trolling me to agree...haha.

Being you’re the biggest troll on here, you’re also a hypocrite.

Post #515084  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Maybe it's a good thing to have more of the difficult away games early in the season? Who knows how things are come spring, we might see crowds return by then, making away games a whole different experience.

That’s the way I’m thinking. Get as many difficult away games out the way before crowds are allowed in the ground.

Post #515085  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I recall watching Gnabry in one of his first starts for us and he looked good from the onset. I recall specifically posting about it and even exiled stop trolling me to agree...haha.

Being you’re the biggest troll on here, you’re also a hypocrite.

He's not well mate. There's something there, maybe issues with bi-polar or something else. I have real sympathy for people with these issues.

There's been something wrong since the start.

Post #515086  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:02 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Leaving chambers, Holding, Mustafi and Sokratis a little surplus to requirements. I’d expect us to keep one maybe and try and sell the rest.

My guess would be Mustafi stays, and we try to get rid of the rest. He's the highest earner, doesn't have the best reputation and is currently injured, and let's face it - with the way he's been playing under Arteta he's better than Sokratis, Chambers and Holding.

Think Gabriel looks like an excellent signing on paper. 25-30m euro for a 22-year old is a good deal. Like any young player there's a risk, but if he has another good season in Ligue 1 his value could've doubled. Better to get him in now.

I think your right and Mustafi will stay and we will have 5.

We just don't need all these centre backs with 2 new ones coming in. I'll be a little disappointed if Chambers leaves though as he looked very good before his injury.

Post #515087  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 am 

Signing Cédric soares then doing this would make no sense what so ever so there’s probably a lot of truth in this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... senal.html

Post #515088  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Signing Cédric soares then doing this would make no sense what so ever so there’s probably a lot of truth in this

I hope it isn’t true. Look, I’m not saying AMN will ever be world class but in my view as a squad player he’s way better than merely adequate. It’s not even him going to Tottenham that will bother me, if it happens. I would be disappointed if he went to Fulham or Crystal Palace.

The modern game is no longer about having eleven top level first choice regulars. It’s about having players who are good enough to cover them. Even if nobody ever got injured (about as likely at Arsenal as Stan Kroenke giving me a brand new Ferrari for my birthday present), outfield players are rested these days. AMN is easily good enough to have a big and important role in the squad.

Post #515089  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

Has it changed?
This one says Fulham, West Ham, Liverpool then Sheffield United.

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/1/Arsenal/fixtures

Post #515090  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

Has it changed?

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/1/Arsenal/fixtures

I posted the FINAL 7 games of the season

Post #515091  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope it isn’t true. Look, I’m not saying AMN will ever be world class but in my view as a squad player he’s way better than merely adequate. It’s not even him going to Tottenham that will bother me, if it happens. I would be disappointed if he went to Fulham or Crystal Palace.

The modern game is no longer about having eleven top level first choice regulars. It’s about having players who are good enough to cover them. Even if nobody ever got injured (about as likely at Arsenal as Stan Kroenke giving me a brand new Ferrari for my birthday present), outfield players are rested these days. AMN is easily good enough to have a big and important role in the squad.

I saw another report this morning that AMN had decided to stay or been persuaded to stay by Arteta. I agree it would be silly to sell him unless an absolutely ridiculous offer came in, I don't want £20m for him. If it was double that then we'd have to think about it. But given his performances in the semi and cup final there is no doubt he can play at the top level, he needs to bring consistency and find a spot in this team

I've said before with the way Arteta seems to overload or purposely unbalance the side to one side - often the left, it means the right back can tuck in and play a more central role, that seems to suit AMN down to the ground. With his ability to play multiple positions and the fact we could play 55 odd games next year I don't doubt that AMN could get 25+ starts based on current ability, more if he improves. Will that be enough for him?

Post #515092  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:14 pm 

Thanks...oops. :42laughter:

Post #515093  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:37 pm 

I'm very wary of Chelsea this season. Lampard is doing a much better job than I thought he would. Hate him but must admit he's doing well. I don't think OGS is the man for Man Utd but he's got the resources to make something out of them and they aren't half bad. He's got a good young front attack. The one on the hot seat will be Mourinho. They could have gotten their table position with Poch. They got rid of Poch and got Mourinho to take them to the next level. It's been a while since Mourinho had to work with limited resources. I actually pity him. He's been taken down a peg or two.

Clubs are going to count us out a little perhaps in spite of our cup win. I am trying to manage my emotions but I think we are going to do well. A few rough patches in the first half of the season while we incorporate new players and everyone learns Arteta's system but we have a very decent team that will be difficult to beat. My other hope is that we finally make the stadium a fortress like Highbury was.

Post #515094  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I saw another report this morning that AMN had decided to stay or been persuaded to stay by Arteta. I agree it would be silly to sell him unless an absolutely ridiculous offer came in, I don't want £20m for him. If it was double that then we'd have to think about it. But given his performances in the semi and cup final there is no doubt he can play at the top level, he needs to bring consistency and find a spot in this team

I've said before with the way Arteta seems to overload or purposely unbalance the side to one side - often the left, it means the right back can tuck in and play a more central role, that seems to suit AMN down to the ground. With his ability to play multiple positions and the fact we could play 55 odd games next year I don't doubt that AMN could get 25+ starts based on current ability, more if he improves. Will that be enough for him?

What report was that Rich?
I'd be delighted if he is staying.

Post #515095  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:35 pm 

david.d wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ah Sorry David, I din't take note of the source. To be honest when I see various reports saying completely the opposite thing I don't give much credence to either. The club nor the player, nor his agent have formally commented.
I still read all these Arsenal articles but during the transfer window I would wager 90% of what is out there is basically made up, 5% might be people in the game trying to push stories in the media to benefit them, their player, the club, 3% might be made up but based on some knowledge and the final 2% has a degree of truth, and even that may be generous

Post #515096  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:

Ah Sorry David, I din't take note of the source. To be honest when I see various reports saying completely the opposite thing I don't give much credence to either. The club nor the player, nor his agent have formally commented.
I still read all these Arsenal articles but during the transfer window I would wager 90% of what is out there is basically made up, 5% might be people in the game trying to push stories in the media to benefit them, their player, the club, 3% might be made up but based on some knowledge and the final 2% has a degree of truth, and even that may be generous

Very true.
Yes we need to sell some players but I really hope we get rid of a few to make up enough money just so AMN doesn't have to be sacrificed.

Post #515097  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:02 pm 

[quote="AmericanGooner"][quote="Rich"]Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)[/quote]
Has it changed?

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/1/Arsenal/fixtures[/quote][/quote]
Well our first 4 away games are Fulham, Liverpool, Man City, Man U. Quite the start to a new season.

Post #515098  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:30 am 

City and Liverpool are on another level. Not as far away from the rest as Rangers and Celtic were years ago but are certainly the only two I can see winning the title.
I am casting a wary eye at Man Utd, Chelsea as well. I am being disrespectful not counting Leicester among them because they have proven they can punch above their weight but the rest have more money and money wins eventually.

The question is where do we fall in there? Right now I'd like to see us distance ourselves from Wolves, Leicester, Tottenham, Sheffield United.

I'm hoping we stop losing to Chelsea and Man Utd (and Tottenham for that matter). We can go to their ground and get that draw. Not all the time but consistently.

Arteta has a lot of parts he has get to operate together in one big machine.

Post #515099  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:32 am 

I prefer playing the top teams away in the first half of the season. Yes, we aren't as prepared and we may end up losing more points than not but we get them at home in the 2nd half of the season and we may have a top 4 place in play.
Better to play at home then.

Post #515100  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:47 am 

Gabriel Magalhaes reporting to be undergoing a medical now. Fingers crossed. Fine bit of business if we get this one done. My x-mas gift came early. A quality central defense pairing.

Post #515101  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 am 

Rich wrote:
Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

Yes, as title run-ins go that's not too bad. :laughing7:

Post #515102  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:28 am 

I recall when our women's team was all conquering many years ago. What happened?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ons-league

Post #515103  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:21 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

Yes, as title run-ins go that's not too bad. :laughing7:

Too right, Soc. If we blow the title with such an easy run-in, heads need to roll. Arteta out!

Post #515104  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:11 am 

I don't see this happening but we are linked with him in the media.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/21/r ... yne-rates/
REPORT: ARSENAL HAVE MADE FIRST MOVE TO SIGN £54M ‘MAESTRO’, WHO DE BRUYNE RATES

Post #515105  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:36 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Gabriel Magalhaes reporting to be undergoing a medical now. Fingers crossed. Fine bit of business if we get this one done. My x-mas gift came early. A quality central defense pairing.

There were plenty of reports he had a medical yesterday, which isn’t now. So someone got it wrong, even if he has had or is having one. There are also reports that Manchester United are making a last gasp attempt to snatch Gabriel despite any alleged medical with Arsenal.

As I think Rich implied, so many of the transfer rumours and stories are probably garbage or fiction made up to get people reading websites and newspapers. I still think it’s wise to wait until a transfer is confirmed on Arsenal.com before getting too excited about a player’s arrival.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 554903.amp

Post #515106  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

There were plenty of reports he had a medical yesterday, which isn’t now. So someone got it wrong, even if he has had or is having one. There are also reports that Manchester United are making a last gasp attempt to snatch Gabriel despite any alleged medical with Arsenal.

As I think Rich implied, so many of the transfer rumours and stories are probably garbage or fiction made up to get people reading websites and newspapers. I still think it’s wise to wait until a transfer is confirmed on Arsenal.com before getting too excited about a player’s arrival.

Wouldn't expect him to form a central defense pairing with Saliba straight away (as I think AG implied) even if we did sign him. A 22-year old and a 19-year old who hasn't played a minute in the Premier League sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Post #515107  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wouldn't expect him to form a central defense pairing with Saliba straight away (as I think AG implied) even if we did sign him. A 22-year old and a 19-year old who hasn't played a minute in the Premier League sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I would imagine that was one of the main reasons for offering a Luiz an extra year.

Post #515108  Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 pm 

Exciting transfer window for a change. We are chasing so many players but its obvious we have to sell as well. Of the big names left, Partey, Coutinho, and Lyon player, if we can only get one I want it to be Partey. Coutinho is obviously the biggest talent we are after this summer, but we need Partey more.
If we can only get Partey and not Coutinho or any other playmaker, I hope Arteta makes amends with Özil.

I'm not expecting to see Lacazette, and a few of the defenders (possibly any of the following: Sokratis, Holding, Kolasniac, Chambers, Luiz). Mustafi probably escapes as its difficult to sell an injured player ( :1cry: ) as well as other players (Torreira, Guendouzi, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, hoping we keep AMN).

Great business so far. I don't expect to see any of the new players in the CS match. Maybe on the bench. I expect to see them all incorporated into the team as we go along. Probably Luiz and Holding to start for now. Possibly Mari if he's healthy, Soares, a few to choose from but Saliba subbed in at some point no matter who starts. The other defender in at some point. We may start the 2nd half of the season young at the back possibly. Not sure how long Mustafi is out but if he's not back by mid fall, I don't expect him to start except for league cup matches or subbed in or whatever. Hopefully sold in the winter window. The midfield will not change much at the beginning but if we get Partey, I can see him being subbed on late in matches to get acclimated.

The attack is going to be exciting. And when Martinelli comes back...well, I really have a great feeling about him.

So, good reason to be cautiously optimistic. Probably a rough first several matches with everyone trying to learn the system, new players coming in adjusting, etc.

Post #515109  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:52 am 

:icon_eek1:

Attachments:

Post #515110  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 am 

So, Man Utd is trying to hijack our defender? :8angers:

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1043875830?-19 ... ad_top#out
Arsenal set to seal Gabriel transfer as he completes medical despite Manchester United interest

Post #515111  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:30 am 

Either Arteta, Willian or both are a little deluded if this story is true.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... nal-target

Post #515112  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 am 

As the polls stand now Biden should win the presidency. Anything can happen in 2 months time but as it stands he should. Biden is not a great candidate. In any other time, he would not be deemed a viable candidate and dare I say, even competent for the office. His nomination indicates the rot from inside the Democratic party. Much better candidates were available but the 'machine', the establishment didn't want any reformers to the already broken system. That said, he can do a decent job. A president, prime minister, etc, is effective if he or she has a vision and the staff competent enough to carry it out. Reagan was similar in terms of his being competent. There is an excellent article about just how bad.
https://www.salon.com/2015/12/28/behind_the_ronald_reagan_myth_no_one_had_ever_entered_the_white_house_so_grossly_ill_informed/
I didn't agree with his politics but he had a strong staff. They were competent in carrying out his vision. Which really was the party's vision.
Biden will be the same. He is competent enough to choose good people around him. Yes, they will be part of the 'machine' but they will be competent and they will be respectful of the office.
I dare say though the if Trump loses, it won't be the end of him. He will not go quietly into the night. My guess is that he will remain very relevant. Why? About 30 to 35 percent of the electorate have a near religious belief in him. I know...I know..but he represents something to them. He represents the 'Mad Men' era of America. A certain social order that is evaporating before their eyes. Other countries, the UK included are facing, these demographic as well as generational changes. The youth are very, very different than their fathers and probably unrecognizable to their grandfathers in most developed countries.
Trump will be relevant via his Twitter account. He won't lose that 30 t0 35 percent. He will tell them who to or not to support in congressional races. And they will listen. The Republican party both fears him and loathes him. The establishment of the party that is. They will try to take the party back and they will from an administrative point but if you can't convince the people who have to vote your politicians then its not real power. Just a veneer.

They don't care how incompetent he is. They don't care how corrupt he is. They look askance at the violations of civil liberties and overt attempts to subvert the democratic process. It's hard to find a person who will admit to voting for Bush these days less they get laughed at. I think there will be more than a few who will still be wearing MAGA hats and proudly stating their support even after the full account of just how dangerous, inept and corrupt he truly was in office.

I have a former coworker from Louisiana. Has a confederate flag tattoo on his shoulder. Republican obviously. And although he was a person I did not maintain contact with after, he had my whatsapp info from when we worked together and was keen to discuss politics and social issues. I tried to ignore him but I wanted to see down that rabbit hole and what was in his mind as he represents the far right. He has an arsenal of weapons in his home. He is one of those conspiracy theorists that the 'global elites' are trying to take 'us' over. So I played along, without making judgments, let him talk freely. He envisions (and he says he is not alone) there will be a time in America where they will simply split up the country. That to avoid a second Civil War, the rural, conservative (coded speech for...well, I won't say but you know) will demand their own land and self governance. He said they are almost all the gun owners so the military will not be able to counter guerilla tactics. So, these are the types that see the Trump era as a "live free or die" (to borrow the motto of the founders) proposition. This is not just a few people. How do you continue as a representative Republic if a larger than acceptable part of your populace has this mindset? You can't. The election of Obama triggered these types. And they see Trump as representative of the feelings that has been either dismissed by the rest of us or ridiculed. They are emboldened now.

If god forbid he wins a second term, it will likely be the most dangerous period America and the world will endure for decades.

Post #515113  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:00 am 

While it was clear to me, Arteta changed Xhaka's role somewhat, I hadn't seen the intricate nuance of it and the article states. Interesting...to me at least.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsenal-granit-xhaka-mikel-arteta-18791917

Post #515114  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Either Arteta, Willian or both are a little deluded if this story is true.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... nal-target

Well the earliest we can even be in it is the 2021/22 season, so to win the Champions League in the next three years we have to do it in either that season or 2022/23. If it was said, I imagine it was to look ambitious.

Post #515115  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:38 am 

I have no problem with Arteta telling players we can win the Champions League in three years. It's important to show ambition and instill belief that we can achieve something, and why would it be impossible? If Klopp had said the same thing in 2016 after he'd been at Liverpool for six months people would've probably laughed at him. Three years later they won the Champions League and had a 97 point season in the league.

Post #515116  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:51 am 

Not sure what is happening but conflicting reports. Napoli have Gabriel and we have him. I hope this one happens, really do.
We also signed some Feyenoord youth player as well apparently.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1043915078?-19 ... t_read_top

Post #515117  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:55 am 

Arsenal have signed 17 year old Salah-Edinne Oulad 'm Hand from Feyenoord. Mixed feelings about that one. On the other hand, not a lot of the starry-eyed younsters that have left us really made it at their new clubs. Zirkzee at Bayern might.

Post #515118  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:11 pm 

Freddie’s off. https://www.skysports.com/share/12054451

Post #515119  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

We love you Freddie.......

Post #515120  Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

We love you Freddie.......

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12875, 12876, 12877, 12878, 12879, 12880, 12881 ... 14269  Next