Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: old man of hoy and 101 guests

Post #513121  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:47 pm 

Just seen that Theo Foley died yesterday, aged 83.

Post #513122  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm 

Just because you’ve played at a high level once doesn’t mean you necessarily will do it twice. You might even have an 8 month peak to your career - Aaron Ramsey - that you’ll never repeat. Guendouzi looked good when he first came in, but I think rightly everyone is more generous to new players and young players.

He remains a player who can’t head the ball, can’t play on the half turn, often takes too many touches for a CM player, seriously lacks pace. He’s ok at ball retention and doesn’t shy away from things and when he was playing well had a good drilled through ball which seems to be something that doesn’t happen in his game any more. Turns into trouble under pressure and flops looking for the decision... That’s not to mention his attitude which seems to be the thing ushering him to the exit door for us. Am I missing something?

He won’t gain pace and his deficiencies will at this stage never become strengths in his game. What is people’s detailed assessment of him that makes anyone think he’ll be a player who would make a top side and ever feature for the French national team let alone for the next decade??

Post #513123  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:13 pm 

Players I thought would never make it with us and proved me wrong - Adebayor... early on under no pressure shot about 30 yards wide... Alex song (he’s 32 now!!!) ... Ramsey to some degree in that astonishing period of form... Touré - what a player and what a surprise. Guendouzi I just don’t see it. I don’t think he has the tools.

Post #513124  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm 

I can’t believe the stuff some people are coming out with over Guendouzi. He’s not the finished product, but easily produced enough in the earlier part of both his seasons here to make the criticism he gets from some grossly unfair. One example, people focus on an alleged lack of pace as though he can’t move without a walking stick. He isn’t Usain Bolt but is so much quicker than some, including Xhaka. He has average pace, not the quickest and not the slowest. But having that level of pace means, in my view, that he easily has sufficient pace to have a great career in midfield. Also, I’ll be astonished if he doesn’t play lots of games for France, being that’s now been mentioned.

The best thing for him is to get away from the club he currently finds himself at. And it’s fans, some of whom I reckon he ‘ll end up making look mugs.

Post #513125  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I can’t believe the stuff some people are coming out with over Guendouzi. He’s not the finished product, but easily produced enough in the earlier part of both his seasons here to make the criticism he gets from some grossly unfair. One example, people focus on an alleged lack of pace as though he can’t move without a walking stick. He isn’t Usain Bolt but is so much quicker than some, including Xhaka. He has average pace, not the quickest and not the slowest. But having that level of pace means, in my view, that he easily has sufficient pace to have a great career in midfield. Also, I’ll be astonished if he doesn’t play lots of games for France, being that’s now been mentioned.

The best thing for him is to get away from the club he currently finds himself at. And it’s fans, some of whom I reckon he ‘ll end up making look mugs.

But Bernard what are his strengths? The critique seems accurate to me? He is very slow for a footballer. I don’t know who’d win in race between him and Xhaka.

Post #513126  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Just seen that Theo Foley died yesterday, aged 83.
In 1975 he had a brief spell at Dartford helping the management, and his sons played there. A well-liked man.

Post #513127  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...The best thing for him is to get away from the club he currently finds himself at. And it’s fans, some of whom I reckon he ‘ll end up making look mugs.
Hopefully for him he will become a great, and it would be nice if it happened with Arsenal. Great pace and heading ability are not the first requirement of a midfielder in my view, but a cool head helps a lot. He is only 21 so he can mature in character. I don't watch that closely these days but he seems to pass well. Having said that by comparison Saka seems a truly exciting young midfield option. We don't want to lose him.

Post #513128  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...The best thing for him is to get away from the club he currently finds himself at. And it’s fans, some of whom I reckon he ‘ll end up making look mugs.
Hopefully for him he will become a great, and it would be nice if it happened with Arsenal. Great pace and heading ability are not the first requirement of a midfielder in my view, but a cool head helps a lot. He is only 21 so he can mature in character. I don't watch that closely these days but he seems to pass well. Having said that by comparison Saka seems a truly exciting young midfield option. We don't want to lose him.

Yes but it’s not just not great pace, is slowness relatively, it might be not important, I don’t see how for a footballer, but at least let’s be accurate

Attachments:

Post #513129  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:38 pm 

And I would agree OMOH only Saka Really looks a proper prospect, can do the lot. Probably why he’s likely leaving, too good for us atm. Martinelli apart, none of the other youngsters have really convinced me they’ve really got what it takes to be successful ie top 6 material, talented as they may be. Eddie looking sharp and with his goal the other night he looks on the right tracK and I think he’s looking a good option for us.

Post #513130  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 pm 

Bernard's fallen asleep on here.

Post #513131  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Sorry Bernard, but enough with that *%^@. The notion that this guy is too good for Arsenal is absurd.

Post #513132  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:34 pm 

Ash wrote:
And I would agree OMOH only Saka Really looks a proper prospect, can do the lot. Probably why he’s likely leaving, too good for us atm. Martinelli apart, none of the other youngsters have really convinced me they’ve really got what it takes to be successful ie top 6 material, talented as they may be. Eddie looking sharp and with his goal the other night he looks on the right tracK and I think he’s looking a good option for us.

I think Willock has it, but I don't think he has the self-belief yet. I see lots in him to suggest he could be a very good player.

Post #513133  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 pm 

Ash wrote:
Just because you’ve played at a high level once doesn’t mean you necessarily will do it twice. You might even have an 8 month peak to your career - Aaron Ramsey - that you’ll never repeat. Guendouzi looked good when he first came in, but I think rightly everyone is more generous to new players and young players.

He remains a player who can’t head the ball, can’t play on the half turn, often takes too many touches for a CM player, seriously lacks pace. He’s ok at ball retention and doesn’t shy away from things and when he was playing well had a good drilled through ball which seems to be something that doesn’t happen in his game any more. Turns into trouble under pressure and flops looking for the decision... That’s not to mention his attitude which seems to be the thing ushering him to the exit door for us. Am I missing something?

Nailed this.

Post #513134  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But Bernard what are his strengths? The critique seems accurate to me? He is very slow for a footballer. I don’t know who’d win in race between him and Xhaka.

It’s coquelin Mark 2. A player with winning mentality but limited physical and technical ability. Xhaka looked like Pirlo coming in for him this week. Doesn’t make him worse than Ceballos but blimey is Bernard off the charts on this one.

Post #513135  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

I think Willock has it, but I don't think he has the self-belief yet. I see lots in him to suggest he could be a very good player.

Yes to be fair, and a few times Nelson has looked really good, and also bereft of confidence at others - I’m sorry to not have seen much more of him.

I was looking at Cantwell this eve for Norwich vs Utd and scored a decent goal and played well, not as well as the comms we’re making out but he’s been good for them generally. He’s 22. Willock in particular I think seeing him at that age would be really interesting if we can invest in him well, but the same for Martinelli, Nketiah, Smith Rowe when he comes back and yes I suppose Guendouzi, although as I’ve said I personally don’t see it and if someone was offering 40M + for him I’d say bite their hand off at the wrist!

Post #513136  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Sorry Bernard, but enough with that *%^@. The notion that this guy is too good for Arsenal is absurd.

As an outsider, which we all are despite supporting them, the impression I’m getting is that Arsenal under Kroenke is becoming an unambitious cesspit that I wouldn’t want to play for, and I’m a lifelong fan. I wasn’t aware that I said he was too good to play for Arsenal. That certainly isn’t what I meant. But I do think Guendouzi is good enough to interest clubs like United, Barcelona, PSG and Inter. That is not the same as saying he’s too good to play for Arsenal.

But I sure as hell wouldn’t want to play for Arsenal at this current time. I don’t like what the club is becoming. Hence if I was a player with other big clubs interested in signing me, I would be pressing my agent to get me out.

Post #513137  Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:53 pm 

Ash wrote:

He’s a good passer over long and short distances, makes himself available for the ball rather than hiding from it, generally chooses the right ball, shows determination and fight or competitiveness which I like to see in players, and has massive energy and thus an excellent work rate. He isn’t the finished product but I see massive potential.

I think people are being unfair on his pace, you especially if you’re trying to make people think he wouldn’t beat Xhaka in a race. He is not slow for a footballer. Nor is he quick. He has average pace in my view. There are a lot who are quicker, but many who are slower. I simply think you’re trying to make too much of this issue in order to support your moans about him.

Post #513138  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:04 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

He’s a good passer over long and short distances, makes himself available for the ball rather than hiding from it, generally chooses the right ball, shows determination and fight or competitiveness which I like to see in players, and has massive energy and thus an excellent work rate. He isn’t the finished product but I see massive potential.

I think people are being unfair on his pace, you especially if you’re trying to make people think he wouldn’t beat Xhaka in a race. He is not slow for a footballer. Nor is he quick. He has average pace in my view. There are a lot who are quicker, but many who are slower. I simply think you’re trying to make too much of this issue in order to support your moans about him.

Hi Bernard, Yes those are great qualities, it’s yet to be seen what he’ll become. Did you see the graphic above posted by Aubameyang in 2018? He literally finished behind Xhaka in that speed test. So I don’t think I’m overblowing that issue just to have a go at him. Bellerin has made a career out of his pace bailing him and us out defensively and making space for the overlap, now it’s gone a massive part of his game is too, hopefully he will recover some of that.

Whether you say Guendouzi doesn’t need that pace is another issue, but clearly he’s not quick.

Post #513139  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:16 am 

Ash wrote:
Hi Bernard, Yes those are great qualities, it’s yet to be seen what he’ll become. Did you see the graphic above posted by Aubameyang in 2018? He literally finished behind Xhaka in that speed test. So I don’t think I’m overblowing that issue just to have a go at him. Bellerin has made a career out of his pace bailing him and us out defensively and making space for the overlap, now it’s gone a massive part of his game is too, hopefully he will recover some of that.

Whether you say Guendouzi doesn’t need that pace is another issue, but clearly he’s not quick.

No I didn’t see a graphic posted by Aubameyang showing he was slower than Xhaka. But if it’s true and it was reliable, why do people moan so much about Xhaka’s lack of pace, which they do? Just seeing them play I have little or no doubt that Xhaka cannot run as quickly as not only Aubameyang but Guendouzi as well. If he can, which would absolutely astonish me, then all the people who have moaned about Xhaka’s lack of pace can only be mistaken.

To be honest, I think OMOH raised a very good point as well, that had crossed my mind previously. Is huge pace as important for central midfielders as it arguably is in other positions? Petit wasn’t Usain Bolt in football boots, but would walk into my best ever Arsenal team. Fabregas wasn’t that quick either. Personally I suspect it’s more important in other positions. There have been countless players who have had fine careers not blessed with great pace, across many positions. Mertesacker and Giroud are obvious examples from the very recent past. Indeed, Giroud is still playing albeit not for Arsenal. It wasn’t long ago that Fabregas left Chelsea either.

I think I’ve already said Guendouzi is not quick. But I qualified that observation with my view that nor is he slow. I see him as having average pace. What I do firmly believe is that he has sufficient pace to have a great career in the game. Or if you prefer me putting it this way round. He isn’t slow enough to stop him from having a great career as a central midfielder. Whichever way round it’s put, it adds up to the same point. I still hope he has that career at Arsenal. But as I said before, I wouldn’t blame him or any other player for wanting to get away.

Post #513140  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 am 

Yes, ideally it is advantageous if a midfielder has great pace but surely it is not the most important of attributes? We could draw up a list of top midfielders not noted for their speed who have graced the Premiership - e.g. Lampard, Fabregas, Alonso, Carrick - all guys with positional sense and awareness. Going back before the Premiership there were even more because every team had what we used to call "a ball player" - Gorgeous George,John Giles, Alan Hudson and Brady for instance. As I say, I am not so clued up on Guendouzi but he seems far from a deep sea diver in lead boots to me.

Post #513141  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 am 

Luiz starts............................

Post #513142  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:10 pm 

1-0 down already, set piece

Post #513143  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:11 pm 

Phew!

Looked offside at the time. Fortunately VAR was up to the task.

Post #513144  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 pm 

VAR offside - amazing we've had a VAR call go for us! Still 0-0

Post #513145  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:14 pm 

Good grief we look horribly shaky at the back. Let’s hope that we can continue to ride our luck.

Post #513146  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:16 pm 

Listening on the radio. Danny Mills the co-com absolutely gutted we're not behind. The d*******.

Post #513147  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Listening on the radio. Danny Mills the co-com absolutely gutted we're not behind. The d*******.

I was listening too and couldn't work out who it was that hated us so much. Makes sense that it is him. He used to get thoroughly embarrassed by the likes of Henry and Pires game after game he's got a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to Arsenal. I can almost imagine the rest of the commentary talking about soft Arsenal, getting in their faces, feigning injury, 'manning up' etc

I hope we score first even more now so I can listen to the disappointment in his voice.

Post #513148  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I was listening too and couldn't work out who it was that hated us so much. Makes sense that it is him. He used to get thoroughly embarrassed by the likes of Henry and Pires game after game he's got a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to Arsenal. I can almost imagine the rest of the commentary talking about soft Arsenal, getting in their faces, feigning injury, 'manning up' etc

I hope we score first even more now so I can listen to the disappointment in his voice.

Does the radio and the tv sync with sound?

If so does the radio have no simulated crowd noise?

Post #513149  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:24 pm 

Penalty.............................................

Post #513150  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:24 pm 

Here’s hoping. VAR once again.

Post #513151  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 pm 

You can see the agenda's commentators have. I've just been told Sheff utd are 'dominating the ball'.....I looked at the stats and they show 72% possession for Arsenal!

Mills now moaning that the body language of the Arsenal's centre backs ambling in to the box to attack the corner kick is awful. Blimey what a sad man

Post #513152  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Does the radio and the tv sync with sound?

If so does the radio have no simulated crowd noise?

Crowd noise on my radio LTG. Don't know if it syncs up. Mills moaning at how soft the pen is :laughing7: :laughing7:
1-0 :21encouragement:
Shut up Mills.

Post #513153  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 pm 

VAR in our favour again. So the crowd boo. Except of course they don’t because they’re not there. This simulated noise is the most annoying aspect of the restart.

Nice one Pépé.

Post #513154  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 pm 

Pépé with the penalty 1-0

Post #513155  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm 

Now can we please please stop passing the ball back to the goalie when we're in an attacking position...............

Post #513156  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm 

hahaha Danny Mills is terrible. How can you employ someone so bias. He moaned and moaned about the penalty decision, which was reviewed by VAR and still given. He then shouted 'save it' before the pen was taken. And after it went it said sarcastically "is that Arsenal's first shot on target?"......a quick look at the stats shows sheff utd without a single shot on target in the first 25 minutes

Post #513157  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm 

Whoosh. Brilliant effort Pépé. Forces a good save.

Post #513158  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
hahaha Danny Mills is terrible. How can you employ someone so bias. He moaned and moaned about the penalty decision, which was reviewed by VAR and still given. He then shouted 'save it' before the pen was taken. And after it went it said sarcastically "is that Arsenal's first shot on target?"......a quick look at the stats shows sheff utd without a single shot on target in the first 25 minutes

Well you’ve persuaded me. I’m not going to listen to the radio.

Post #513159  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 pm 

More Mills madness. Arsenal players claim a backpass, main comm says it looked like a back pass, Mills "you don't lob the ball back to the GK at chest height intentionally - that isn't a back pass"
then lacazette is hacked down "that's a little bit of revenge for lacazette going down so easily for the penalty"
"no urgency from arsenal, they've got lucky so far"

Post #513160  Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well you’ve persuaded me. I’m not going to listen to the radio.

Actually it's funny hearing the wazzock bleating on at every opportunity as long as we're ahead. If they equalise though he will become unbearable very quickly.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12826, 12827, 12828, 12829, 12830, 12831, 12832 ... 14269  Next