Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], warrior and 152 guests

Post #484761  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:52 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Don't think Ali ever fought Cooper .

Of course I'm just being the smartarse ... Cooper v Clay to be precise ... in spite of knocking Clay down 'Enry doesn't look to flash .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Coo ... ,_1963.jpg

You played that googly well, TG.

Post #484762  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

You do spend more time than anyone else on here moaning about refs and only when calls go against us .... so how is that a cheap shot ?

Watch Özil's left foot ... he takes it back to shoot THEN jams it straight into the ground knowing the momentum of the bloke behind will catch him . If he had been genuinely taking shot his foot would have been in the air ....so he's a cheat .

Game , set , match ......... no sandpaper needed for that one .

I've watched that several times and I don't know what you are talking about, Kiwi. The bloke behind him caught him. I don't know how you can attribute this to some sort of cunning plot on Özil's part.

I wondered whether as Özil brings his leg/foot forward to strike the ball it catches (very slightly) the thigh or leg of the defender coming back, that would cause the natural swing of the leg to be diverted and then stud his foot in to the ground.

Post #484763  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:33 pm 

Saw a guy on twitter sum up things quite well. During 2006-2013 the fans bought in to the project and circumstances of the club. Since that time the fans have been lied to and delivered false promises time and time again. That is why the fans are turning away in the droves.

If Arsenal got a new manager in and came out and said 'we haven't done well in the last few years and need to enter a period of transition with a new manager' the fans would be back 100% and support the team and new manager

Post #484764  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:37 pm 

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/ ... eve-bruce/

Dixon. Very good comments about his coaching under Graham and Wenger

Post #484765  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:42 pm 

At a conservative estimate of what we need in the summer (other than a new manager) would be a GK, a RB, a CB and a CM. A winger as well would be nice. I can't see many players within the current squad generating any huge sums and most would need replacing anyway. With our likely budget I can't see why we would be after players in the £40m plus range - which seems to be the price of most players we get linked with. I can't believe there aren't equally as good players available for half the price, the scouting seems to have dropped of a cliff at Arsenal. We've gone from being able to get top quality unknown layers for knock-down prices to paying huge prices for household names who don't live up to their billing.

You only need to look at the success of Liverpool and Spurs, two clubs with a similar standing as us, to realise how important 2 things are at our level. The charismatic, forward thinking manager who can create teams with a clear vision who are greater than the sum of their parts AND an ability to have very few mistakes in the transfer market. We don't have either and it translates to a 15-20 point gap in the league

Post #484766  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Watch Özil's left foot ... he takes it back to shoot THEN jams it straight into the ground knowing the momentum of the bloke behind will catch him . If he had been genuinely taking shot his foot would have been in the air ....so he's a cheat . Game , set , match ......... no sandpaper needed for that one .
...I don't know how you can attribute this to some sort of cunning plot on Özil's part.
I have it on good authority that Özil regularly stays behind after training for an extra hour to hone his toe-stubbing skills and the sandpaper down the shorts. Practice makes perfect.

Post #484767  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/lee-dixon-on-graham-vs-wenger-ian-wright-punching-steve-bruce/

Dixon. Very good comments about his coaching under Graham and Wenger

"If I’d have been under Arsene first I’d have been like Hector Bellerin is now.”

This is what I was saying a little while back. All the reasons that made arsene fantastic at first make him flawed now

Post #484768  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 pm 

Watching Juve and Real. Shocking refereeing.

Post #484769  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
lomekian wrote:
. But hey, go for the cheap shot, when I call you out for talking rubbish.

You do spend more time than anyone else on here moaning about refs and only when calls go against us .... so how is that a cheap shot ?

Watch Özil's left foot ... he takes it back to shoot THEN jams it straight into the ground knowing the momentum of the bloke behind will catch him . If he had been genuinely taking shot his foot would have been in the air ....so he's a cheat .

Maybe no sandpaper, but the underarm bowling has switched sides.

Why on earth would Özil be trying to take a shot in that position with at least one defender blocking the ball's route to goal, particularly when we all know he's a player who only shoots if he's got a clear chance or no-one to pass to? If your judgement is based on whether a player is taking a shot, you should consider the player and what else is happening on the pitch. He never looked like he was taking a shot, because he wasn't, because it would have been stupid to do so. You do realise there are other options in the box?

Post #484770  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:20 pm 

Rich wrote:
MOTD2 highlighted an important issue with regards to refs yesterday. Murphy and Sutton both complained the ref had got it wrong and that he shouldn’t be guessing. Well first of all how do they know he guessed? They were besmirching the ref by saying he’s guessed rather than being sure, when the only person who knows whether he guessed is the ref himself. Murphy and Sutton were the only ones guessing.
But more importantly Murphy and Sutton were taken to task by the presenter who said that they both thought it was a penalty when they saw it first time in real time. The only thing the ref has. This was glossed over by both.
Given the refs position and the player coming in behind I can easily see why it was given.

I also think a defender can touch the ball first and a penalty still be given. I remember a furious reaction when Darren fletcher was sent off and gave away a pen for fouling Fabregas in a champions league match at the emirates and the replay showed fletcher got a minuscule touch on the ball before taking out Fabregas. My point is that if the touch on the ball isn’t a foul then play still goes on, the touch was so small that it didn’t change the path of the ball and the chance for Fabregas to strike at goal was virtually no different towhat he had before the touch. At this point he is then taken out by fletcher who is following through from his original tackle. So at this point he fouls the attacker.

It was quite funny seeming the ex Spurs player and the long term Arsenal hater Sutton squirm when the presenter basically outed them for changing their tune on air!

Post #484771  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 pm 

Fantastic result for Real Madrid and a very good result for Bayern Munich. Real are practically certain to go through and Bayern are very strong favourites to join them.

Post #484772  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I've watched that several times and I don't know what you are talking about, Kiwi. The bloke behind him caught him. I don't know how you can attribute this to some sort of cunning plot on Özil's part.

Watch it again Decaf ......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJEy_8pihs ... freeze frame it the bloke behind him doesn't touch Özil as his leg goes back , then Özil drives his foot straight into the turf , stops , waiting for contact .

If a Stoke player had done the same , would everybody be so adamant it was a penalty ... of course not .... they'd be screaming he milked it .

No sand paper or underarm bowling required for that win .

Lomekian's views dont count for anything on this ocassion .....bless his little cotton socks .

At times he puts out some good stuff ...... but he is more one eyed than Cyclops

Post #484773  Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
yeah Brom ... we managed to stagger to a reasonable score but now it's turned into a bore .

Us desperately stonewalling to eek out a 'glorious' series win by drawing this match .... :laughing7:

Just looked up the game on BBC Sport. It says the game can only go on until 7.04 BST. England needed another three wicket in what was expected to be the final over. I assume they didn't get those wickets.

EDIT: They got one of the three wicket needed to win. So with eight wickets down, New Zealand get the draw they wanted.

One Kiwi commentator saying what a fascinating contest , well if you can get your rocks off contemplating field settings , bowlers going over or round the wicket , different lengths , off cutters , goggleys then he'd be right

... but after Williamson went for a golden duck all hopes of a win to us went out the window and watching the Kiwi batsmen grimly blocking every ball to stagger to a draw was about as tortuous as watching Arsenal's first half v Stoke .

Post #484774  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 am 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43628485
Tottenham financial figures: Spurs report record £306m revenue

The 46% increase in revenues - to 30 June 2017 - was largely due to the new Premier League TV deal and Spurs' participation in the Champions League.

Levy said he expects "many challenges" in the next few months.

Spurs plan to move into their new 62,000-capacity stadium next season.

It is understood the challenges Levy referred to relate to the scale of the £750m project rather than any specific issues.

Levy has previously said he expects Spurs to be playing in the stadium next season, though it has not been ruled out that they may ask the Premier League to switch their opening home games, as West Ham did this season, to give them extra time.

Clubs are not allowed to use more than one ground for their home games in a single season.

Post #484775  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:16 am 

Since our re-emergence in '98 we've seen Chelsea and Liverpool win CLs (I'm not counting Man Utd for some reason even though LFC has won before). My guess is, we could see Tottenham and City win one before we do.

It will be very depressing if Tottenham wins it. Very.

Post #484776  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

It is understood the challenges Levy referred to relate to the scale of the £750m project rather than any specific issues.

So we relied on continuous champions league qualification, selling major stars and making profits in every transfer window to pay off a £450m stadium, how will Spurs do it?

I understand that money coming in from TV and sponsorship is a lot more than it was when we were financing the stadium - but Spurs stadium cost £300m more than ours and players fees and wages are higher

Post #484777  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:40 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

So we relied on continuous champions league qualification, selling major stars and making profits in every transfer window to pay off a £450m stadium, how will Spurs do it?

I understand that money coming in from TV and sponsorship is a lot more than it was when we were financing the stadium - but Spurs stadium cost £300m more than ours and players fees and wages are higher

I seriously doubt that last bit.....................

Post #484778  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Rose, Alderweireld and Dembele will knock off a third of that debt when they leave this summer. All of them have been successfully replaced this season so whilst their loss will be felt, it won't cripple the team.

Should it become necessary, Kane and Alli would fix the remaining deficit. It might come to that if those two decide they deserve what Özil gets paid - or even half.

Post #484779  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Rich wrote:

I seriously doubt that last bit.....................

I meant players fees and wages are higher NOW than they were when we were in the middle of our belt tightening paying off the stadium. I think that would be undeniable when you see the transfer fees and wage demands of current players

Post #484780  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm 

Some context.

Take yourselves back to April 2000. Man U were beaten 3-2 at home by Real Madrid to go out of the CL. One of RM’s goals was scored by Roy Keane who’d just signed a new deal at an unheard of £50k a week to make him the highest earner in the PL. We sang - “For fifty thousand quid – he scores for Real Madrid”.

So here we are 18 years on and general inflation suggests prices are 65% up on 2000; Roy’s ‘top of the PL’ £50k deal would be £82.5k in today’s money, but that’s a long way behind the top dogs these days.

Özil is on £350k; that’s a 700% improvement on Keane’s pay. Top earner in the PL is now apparently Sanchez on perhaps £450K per week; that’s a 900% uplift.

Post #484781  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:59 pm 

Ray Wilkins has died. Sad.

Post #484782  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Yes very

One of the few people who when talking about football knew what they were talking about. Always enjoyed it when he was co commentator on games. Rip butch

Post #484783  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Good grief! So young.

Post #484784  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Good grief! So young.

Very sudden, heart attack just a few days ago. Very sad, RIP.

Post #484785  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm 

Liverpool 1-0 City. Salah again.
Liverpool seem to prosper from opponents mistakes more than most teams I see. Fair play to them they put the pressure on and with their quick attacks, direct running and dribbling they force their opponents to actually do something.....this can lead to mistakes.
It infuriated me how arsenal rarely make the opposition make a mistake

Post #484786  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:05 pm 

VAR argument will start again because of it was in use in this game the goal for Liverpool would have been ruled out for an offside earlier in the move

Post #484787  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 pm 

Liverpool 3-0 City inside 30 mins.

I’m amazed of all the managers in the world that Pep didn’t have a suitable plan for the very thing everyone knew Liverpool would do. 100mph football, fast, direct, intense, feeding off the crowd.

Pep has played directly in to their hands - it is wenger like tactics

Post #484788  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 pm 

Liverpool have a very talented front 3, bought for a specific game plan. They also have a very commanding CB. But the rest of this team is good at best. Karius, Arnold, Lovren, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, ox. Each of these players knows exactly what they should be doing on and off the ball and they trust and believe in their manager, each other and the game plan 100%

Milner, Henderson, ox have totally dominated De Bruyne, Silva, gundogan. In terms of talent the 3 are miles apart but the belief, energy, effort and no little skill has the Liverpool 3 all over them

Post #484789  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 pm 

Wonder what our players think of when watching a first half like that. A first half of football we are just incapable of playing rounded off by a corker from their ex colleague

Don't expect to see messrs Ramsey, Wilshere or Bellerin the other side of the summer.

Post #484790  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 pm 

Fantastic half from Liverpool. All over City like a rash, that sort of tactic needs the ultimate team play, one player slacks off and the out ball is easy.

Klopp had this heavy metal style of football at Dortmund. He hasn’t bought a single one of those Dortmund players to Liverpool but he is shaped this team in exactly the same successful style.

Watching games like this, seeing how City blitzed is twice in a week and they themselves getting blitzed by Liverpool shows how far behind and out of touch our manager is. God help us next season if he’s still here. Every year he stays sets us back another 2-3 years to get back to the level we are watching tonight. Leave this summer and I’d say it is a 4-5 year project to reach the champions league semis - minimum

Post #484791  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 pm 

Also to those who constantly say we haven't been able to compete because of cash over the years look at the Liverpool side, Milner, ox and some very young players. If you set yourself up right you can still be competitive in big games

It's tactics

Post #484792  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wonder what our players think of when watching a first half like that. A first half of football we are just incapable of playing rounded off by a corker from their ex colleague

Don't expect to see messrs Ramsey, Wilshere or Bellerin the other side of the summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a half empty stadium again tomorrow night. Bit of a contrast to what we're watching at the moment.
I'm expecting a reaction from City in the second half. Even 3-1 and they're still right in it.

Post #484793  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm 

Salah off. Looks like a groin strain...............

Post #484794  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 pm 

Hope we lose tomorrow night. He heart will be hoping otherwise but it's necessary

If he wins the competition this year there is no way in hell they won't let him see out his contract or offer him a new one. This has to stop

Post #484795  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm 

You can’t tell me our players work as hard as this Liverpool team. You also can’t tell me that they aren’t capable of working this hard given the right manager and motivation

Post #484796  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 pm 

City with a goal disallowed for an extremely marginal offside. Just as close as the one that was given for Liverpool for their first goal.

Liverpool fully deserve to win this but if two tight offside decisions go the other way this score is 2-1 rather than 3-0, and city would be favourites to go through

You need those breaks in games like this

Post #484797  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Is it just a coincidence that Oxlade-Chamberlain has improved big time since joining Liverpool? No of course it isn't. It's playing for Klopp rather than Wenger.

Any half decent player who isn't approaching the end of their career (like Čech, Koscielny or Monreal) who doesn't want to get away from playing for Wenger is either thick or an average player.

Post #484798  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

Fair play a tremendous all round performance from Liverpool. Overwhelmed City in the first half and stifled them with collective organisation and energy in the second.

Post #484799  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hope we lose tomorrow night. He heart will be hoping otherwise but it's necessary

If he wins the competition this year there is no way in hell they won't let him see out his contract or offer him a new one. This has to stop

Did you see the comments by Gazidis? He said Wenger has the same DNA as the club and he's world class. I hope it's the normal smooth talking bollocks you always get from Ivan. But if it isn't and Wenger stays then Gazidis isn't worth £20k a year let alone the £2m+ he's on.

Post #484800  Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Did you see the comments by Gazidis? He said Wenger has the same DNA as the club and he's world class. I hope it's the normal smooth talking bollocks you always get from Ivan. But if it isn't and Wenger stays then Gazidis isn't worth £20k a year let alone the £2m+ he's on.

I read somewhere that it'll cost Arsenal a fortune to get rid of Wenger this summer. I'll be amazed if he isn't still stinking the place out next season.

[ 571789 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12117, 12118, 12119, 12120, 12121, 12122, 12123 ... 14295  Next