Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #515041  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:00 am 

:58big-emoticons:
long time gooner wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
It’s just more effective and efficient to use the tools available
Under normal circumstances the player will be flagged in a live game - either through an in-country contact or club scout, depending on location etc.
Based on that someone will then watch the player on the scouting video app (hudl) and review vitals on statDNA.
This will the be pulled into a comprehensive report and based on that someone from the senior recruitment team will watch him live again; then a decision will be made.
It reduces the cycle time and cost significantly
We’ve lost out on a number of players in the last couple of seasons because the “old” model took too long.

I guess that it’s moved on a bit then since the time when Graeme Souness signed “George Weah’s cousin” for Southampton.

:58big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons:
:14laughter: :15laughter:

Post #515042  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:13 pm 

You're a legend Cesc
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cesc-fabregas-man-utd-arsenal-22539319

Post #515043  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
As some have already pointed out, there are a lot of clubs around desperate for money post covid. Those with money could thus have a field day.

It's not just that clubs may accept a lower fee for players but that they are being forced to sell them even though they would ordinarily keep them. Thus, a lot of players who may well have been unavailable, except for an extortionately high bid, may be available at a less eye watering price.

The question is which are we?

Some real investment in this window could reap huge rewards for some clubs.

Don’t know if this is true or not but just read that Spanish clubs who participated in the Spanish furlough scheme are only able to spend 25 percent of any finances they generate through player sales.

What this probably means is that those clubs will have to swap players rather than sell if they want to re invigorate their squad as it allows them a greater potential budget.

Barcelona and athletico both participated in the scheme

Post #515044  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm 

It would be nice and a change to see a Leipzig vs Lyon final. Won't happen but still, would be nice. If that can't happen and it must be one of the other two, obviously PSG. Yeah, they are bought and paid for but so are the chokers.

Post #515045  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:41 pm 

It seems like it is between us and Napoli for this Gabriel chap from Lille. (how many transfers does it always seem to be us and Napoli chasing a player?) Apparently Napoli need to sell first and it is likely to be their CB Koulibaly.
Both clubs have offered the right fee and similar packages to the player. Lots of reports saying he's chosen us.
I can't admit to having seen him play but the type of signing is right for us. He's 22, left sided CB, has pace and power and is tall and decent in the air and decent with the ball at his feet.....and is only costing £25m. When you hear of the likes of Lewis Dunk apparently costing Chelsea £40m it makes far more sense to go after this lad.

Gives us a lot of CB but I'd expect a few to be moved on with some degree of ruthlessness.

Then the priority has to be to fix the centre of midfield. I would happily get Ceballos back on loan, and I wouldnt mind Coutinho on loan as long as the deal is right for us. If Torreira nd Guendouzi are off we need to try to generate £60m from the pair and invest it straight back in the midfield

Post #515046  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:46 pm 

Looks like Koeman will be going to Barcelona. Apparently Wenger has offered up his services to be the dutch national team boss.

Post #515047  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Wenger has offered up his services to be the dutch national team boss.

No thanks!

Post #515048  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:52 pm 

Given the strange situation for the football calendar and the quick turnaround for the new season there is a great opportunity for teams to make a strong start to the new season and catch a few teams on the hop as they aren't quite match fit. Hopefully we can get our critical business done early and get a settled squad going in to next season.
We know we're going in to it with some long term injuries/recoveries already, Mari, Martinelli, Mustafi, Chambers. But we really need to hit the ground running

Post #515049  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can't admit to having seen him play but the type of signing is right for us. He's 22, left sided CB, has pace and power and is tall and decent in the air and decent with the ball at his feet.....and is only costing £25m. When you hear of the likes of Lewis Dunk apparently costing Chelsea £40m it makes far more sense to go after this lad.

Haven't seen him either, but it's the type of profile that makes signing the Willian and Luiz sensible. If we were only going after those type of cheap, experienced players it would be one thing, but if they're a part of the strategy that means we can spend more money on the likes of Saliba and Gabriel then I'm all for it. They might not become the players we hoped for, but at least there's a chance they will form a great pairing in central defense for years to come.

Post #515050  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:55 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Rich wrote:
Apparently Wenger has offered up his services to be the dutch national team boss.

No thanks!

:icon_mrgreen:

Post #515051  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:15 pm 

I must say as it stands even if we made no more buys, its been a successful transfer period. I'd like to see a few things happen but I can't complain so far.

Post #515052  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Looks like Koeman will be going to Barcelona. Apparently Wenger has offered up his services to be the dutch national team boss.

Wenger would be much better as a national team manager. That may not be a bad fit actually.

Post #515053  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I must say as it stands even if we made no more buys, its been a successful transfer period. I'd like to see a few things happen but I can't complain so far.

As things stand, I thought Willian was the only new player recruited so far?

Post #515054  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder if Barca has approached Wenger? I love the man but the planets aligned for him at Arsenal. I don't think he'll be successful anywhere else really. Adaption is not one of his strong points. Can't see Koeman as anything but a stop gap manager till they go after a big name. Sarri maybe? Koeman is a known name but I wouldn't say a big name. At least at that level.

You do realise that Koeman played at Barca from '89 to '95. Indicates he knows what he's letting himself in for.

Post #515055  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
Somehow this Sanllehi-Pepe debacle smells like money laundering.

I’m not a financial whiz but laundering may not be the right terminology.

Fraud maybe better,

The example Arseblog used the other day was based on the Leno transfer, .... Arsenal start negotiating to buy Leno whose price was 18 million..... Sanllehi introduces his mate the agent Arturo Canales into it as an intermediary who he knows well and represents many Barca players and Unai Emery .... voila final transfer price is inflated to 22 million with costs for the multiple agents. It sounds like scratching people backs with cash for mates. Other business would probably call it fraud but in football it’s probably just another day for some clubs

All the same monies were shifted around, let alone having inflated prices. Smacks of a cover up as well.

Post #515056  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:48 pm 

Hey Zed,
Yeah, aware of his stint there. I actually made a post on here that I wouldn't mind him to replace Wenger when he was managing Soton.

I wish him well, but Barca go for currently successful managers. I can't help think they see him as a stop gap. Holland manager is a big job, him being Dutch helped but prior to that, Everton and and Soton? Hmmm....maybe they do see him as a permanent manger but I'm guessing no.

We'll have to wait and see.

Post #515057  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...who Messi wants!

Post #515058  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 pm 

Apparently Arsenal has signed a young Totts reject. Jonathan Dinzeyi, 20, a centre-half.
This according to The Athletic and Talksport.

Post #515059  Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:22 pm 

Zed wrote:
Apparently Arsenal has signed a young Totts reject. Jonathan Dinzeyi, 20, a centre-half.
This according to The Athletic and Talksport.

[Edit: Dinzeyi will join the U23s]

Post #515060  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...who Messi wants!

Apparently we have hired a new negotiator with a great track record. Messi will be a gooner.

Post #515061  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 am 

Please note, I had no say in selecting any music that accompanies these videos :42laughter:

Post #515062  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Lacazette this window. He's got 2 years left on his deal so this summer is really decision time if we want to learn from past mistakes. Which means new contract or sell. Only players nearing retirement or with zero value should be exempt.

There were some murmurs of Juve being interested and a potential price of £30m which would seem fair (ish). Lacazette actually did a lot of good work in the last 10 or so games of the season and probably found his feet better in Arteta's system so if we keep him I wouldn't be unhappy. But I'm not sure how we can offer him a new deal on what I assume would be a wage increase.

Perhaps if the opportunity came along to sell a 29 year old Lacazette on £150k a week and replace him with (for example) 22 year old Edouard from Celtic for a similar budget but smaller wages

Post #515063  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:11 am 

I'll be surprised if we see Lacazette in an Arsenal kit when the window closes. How do you think we are gonna pay for these players? lol.
I'm reading 30 mil to Juve which is a decent amount. Okay, its The Sun, you paper train the puppy on it but still rumors are he's going from other sources.

Post #515064  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:31 pm 

Every worldie Gnabry scores makes my heart weep. Although less chance he becomes this player with us through our blunder years than with Bayern, perhaps...

Post #515065  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm 

Ash wrote:
Every worldie Gnabry scores makes my heart weep. Although less chance he becomes this player with us through our blunder years than with Bayern, perhaps...

I've read a lot about how Gnabry came to leave Arsenal. I think there is a huge amount of circumstance, timing and (bad) luck.
His progression was good, he'd broken in to the first team becoming our second youngest player to play in the league for us. At 18 he made 10 appearances and scored and got a few assists - everything going well and on target. Then at 19 he got a serious knee injury and missed the entire season. The next season Arsenal probably quite correctly thought a loan for a 20 year old with only 10 senior games and a big knee injury would be the right thing to do. He went to Pulis at West Brom and never played. He came back to Arsenal we wanted to extend his deal but he wouldn't sign as he wanted more first team opportunties, so Arsenal sold him for £5m.

The mistakes Arsenal made were:
Sending him to West Brom without some clause or penalty for them if he didn't play
Not extending his deal earlier (but that is a tough call considering his injury and lack of games)
Not insisting on a buy-back or sell on clause when he left

I think Arsenal are a lot more careful and considered in where players go on loan now.

I agree I doubt he'd be the player he is now if he'd stayed with us. Of all the regrets we'd had over players leaving or leaving too cheap Gnabry is seemingly the one who is currently absolutely world class. I don't see many better attacking wide players in the world right now considering his goals, assists and doing it in the best team in Europe on the biggest stage. Also 13 goals in 13 games for Germeny.

Painful

Post #515066  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I've read a lot about how Gnabry came to leave Arsenal. I think there is a huge amount of circumstance, timing and (bad) luck.
His progression was good, he'd broken in to the first team becoming our second youngest player to play in the league for us. At 18 he made 10 appearances and scored and got a few assists - everything going well and on target. Then at 19 he got a serious knee injury and missed the entire season. The next season Arsenal probably quite correctly thought a loan for a 20 year old with only 10 senior games and a big knee injury would be the right thing to do. He went to Pulis at West Brom and never played. He came back to Arsenal we wanted to extend his deal but he wouldn't sign as he wanted more first team opportunties, so Arsenal sold him for £5m.

Sending him to West Brom without some clause or penalty for them if he didn't play
Not extending his deal earlier (but that is a tough call considering his injury and lack of games)

I think Arsenal are a lot more careful and considered in where players go on loan now.

I agree I doubt he'd be the player he is now if he'd stayed with us. Of all the regrets we'd had over players leaving or leaving too cheap Gnabry is seemingly the one who is currently absolutely world class. I don't see many better attacking wide players in the world right now considering his goals, assists and doing it in the best team in Europe on the biggest stage. Also 13 goals in 13 games for Germeny.

Painful

After Wenger's youth project and we went trophyless for almost a decade, and subsequently dropping out of the top 4, it became easier for players to leave the club - either in search of silverware for the established players or more minutes in the case of young players. Gnabry, Malen and Bennacer have all done well this season. The Jeff didn't start against BM but I think will eventually be an important player for Lyon.

Post #515067  Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

Painful

Gnabry is the player some (misguided) people think Sterling is. Astonishing player. His left foot alone this evening was lethal.

Most big clubs have players they’ve let go and been reminded of ever after so there’s some solace there for us. Chelsea alone with De Bruyne and Salah is a laugh a minute, but even City and Barca have their high profile fair share, and Pogba at Utd - ridiculous debacle.

German clubs seem to be winning at transfers recently, and suddenly the place to go for young English players, Jude Bellingham at Dortmund is one I’ll be keeping my eye on.

Post #515068  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:41 am 

New signing, youngster. George Lewis

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-22110981

Post #515069  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:44 am 

I recall watching Gnabry in one of his first starts for us and he looked good from the onset. I recall specifically posting about it and even exiled stop trolling me to agree...haha.

I don't think he would have stayed with us long though, he would have had his head turned eventually. I can't think of many top class players who would have stayed through our post Invincible years.

Post #515070  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:50 am 

Partey or a similar type of player, a sweeper type of quality (covers a lot of ground, good instincts) comes in we are near (playmaker questions) complete. Not the finished article by any stretch but a nice solid foundation to start with. There is a question of everyone playing as a team. You never know about injuries. New players adapt at different paces and some never quite do. On paper though, we would seem to be a lot tougher to beat than we were last season.

The amount of business we have been doing is way above expectations. I'm also very excited about Martinelli coming back from injury at some point. I think he is going to be very, very good.

Post #515071  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 am 

The new defender we seem to be signing from Lille looks interesting. A different type of player who is more of an Athlete and has a decent left foot rather than a stopper type.

So it looks like

Mari, Luiz, Magalhaes, saliba for next season.

Leaving chambers, Holding, Mustafi and Sokratis a little surplus to requirements. I’d expect us to keep one maybe and try and sell the rest.

Post #515072  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Leaving chambers, Holding, Mustafi and Sokratis a little surplus to requirements. I’d expect us to keep one maybe and try and sell the rest.

My guess would be Mustafi stays, and we try to get rid of the rest. He's the highest earner, doesn't have the best reputation and is currently injured, and let's face it - with the way he's been playing under Arteta he's better than Sokratis, Chambers and Holding.

Think Gabriel looks like an excellent signing on paper. 25-30m euro for a 22-year old is a good deal. Like any young player there's a risk, but if he has another good season in Ligue 1 his value could've doubled. Better to get him in now.

Post #515073  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:47 am 

Central defense looks sorted in numbers at least, but I wonder what the plan is for our midfield. It's widely believed that Arteta wants to play some version of 4-3-3 rather than persisting with five at the back (which I agree with, we shouldn't be starting with five defenders most games) but we seem to be lacking in numbers. Torreira is rumoured to be leaving, we all know the story with Guendozi, the situation with Ceballos seems unclear...as things stand we're looking at Xhaka as the only player we know is staying and has experience playing in central midfield.

Maitland-Niles could play there in theory, but hasn't looked convincing to me the few times he's been tested there. Willian could probably play in a midfield three. It looks to me like we need to sign at least two central midfielders.

Post #515074  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:50 am 

The top of the site says Liverpool in the CS. Any confirmations? The rumour is they were going to opt out.
It will be interesting to see who emerges this season. City was way off pace but its tough to have back to back seasons like they did. They didn't even crack 90 points. The big shock for me is that Liverpool didn't crack 100 points.

As usual, I'll be taking my anxiety meds if there are any undefeated teams going into November. This will sound crazy and perhaps it is but I'd like to see another club get the treble just so it won't be as special. I hate Man Utd that much. I've heard more than a few debates on which was the harder to do, unbeaten in a season (and I'd include all 49 matches) or the treble. A case can be made either way. Had we just had a decent 2nd half against Chelsea, and Wenger didn't panic substitute against the Mancs in the FA cup (Cygan at left wing anyone?) I think we would have done it. Then again, if my aunt had a....

I'm thrilled at the defenders coming in. They will need some experienced heads to acclimated. I'd take Luiz over Mustafi in a heartbeat if one of them has to go. I'd like to keep Holding and hopes he gets back to some semblance of form as he had at one time. But he can't live on one great cup final performance. If we get a good price, he'll have to go.

Post #515075  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:54 am 

Somebody who is not on AGs ignore list is welcome to quote this post.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/details-co ... ity-shield

Post #515076  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:11 am 

First game on 12 Sept of new season against Fulham.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... -Liverpool

First big game, if you ignore West Ham, against Liverpool on 26th September.

Post #515077  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Our next 3 away after the Fulham game are:
Liverpool
City
Man U

We always seem to play Liverpool really early. I'd have loved us to have had the first 6 against none of the top 6 but it never seems to happen for us. I know everyone plays everyone but those are 3 very tough away games in your first 6 fixtures

Post #515078  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Our next 3 away after the Fulham game are:
Liverpool
City
Man U

We always seem to play Liverpool really early. I'd have loved us to have had the first 6 against none of the top 6 but it never seems to happen for us. I know everyone plays everyone but those are 3 very tough away games in your first 6 fixtures

That’s brutal. If we get much there then we will have done well.

Post #515079  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am 

https://www.arsenal.com/fixtures

Post #515080  Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am 

Not a bad run in for us

fulham (h)
Everton(h)
newcastle (a)
west brom (h)
chelsea (a)
palace (a)
brighton (h)

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12874, 12875, 12876, 12877, 12878, 12879, 12880 ... 14269  Next