Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 93 guests

Post #517961  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 pm 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Bendtner thinking that maybe he could have done better

https://www.skysports.com/share/12112295

Shame really. I had high hopes for him when he was emerging.

Carling Cup, 2008 a 5-1 loss at WHL to Spurs. Won't forget that scrap Bendtner and Adebayor got into then.

Remember the game but don’t really recall their scrap.

Post #517962  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:
I saw an article looking at the Son+Kane partnership because they have now assisted+scored asa duo 29 times, only behind Drogba/Lampard. The article seriously asked 'where do they rank in the all time prem duos, are they the best ever?' I suppose it would be asking too much for these articles on Spurs to mention the need to actually win something to be regarded at the top of these sorts of lists.

Tempting fate there Rich. In this season where it looks to be wide open they could well do it, if the above two stay fit. But for a ludicrous VAR decision against Newcastle and an insane comeback from West Ham they'd be two points clear at the top now. I'm sorry to say they look in much better shape than we do right now.

Hopefully that's jinxed them :1laughter:

You beat me to it Tom. American Gooner, if you see this message: just because the Invincibles' record is safe, don't pack away the rubber sheets for another year just yet. There's an ever greater potential calamity that should be weighing on our bladders in the wee hours (if you'll excuse the pun): the prospect of Spurs actually winning something more significant than the Sun International Challenge Trophy this season.

I'm far less sanguine that Rich that there rest of their team is too mediocre for Spurs to be troublesome this year.

Post #517963  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Carling Cup, 2008 a 5-1 loss at WHL to Spurs. Won't forget that scrap Bendtner and Adebayor got into then.

I think it came about because when Adebyoar came on as a sub at maybe 4-0 down he said to Bendtner "I'm only on because you're sh*t"

Post #517964  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:44 pm 

Dominik Szoboszlai has scored again for Salzberg. He's the sort of profile of attacking player we should be looking at. There were some links in the summer. Only 20, playing for a slightly unfashionable club who are willing sellers of their players.

Post #517965  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think it came about because when Adebyoar came on as a sub at maybe 4-0 down he said to Bendtner "I'm only on because you're sh*t"

This pushing and shoving that started at the far post. Also led to Bendtner'rs bloody nose possibly a head butt from Ade.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ry.arsenal

Post #517966  Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
tomc wrote:
Tempting fate there Rich. In this season where it looks to be wide open they could well do it, if the above two stay fit. But for a ludicrous VAR decision against Newcastle and an insane comeback from West Ham they'd be two points clear at the top now. I'm sorry to say they look in much better shape than we do right now.

Hopefully that's jinxed them :1laughter:

You beat me to it Tom. American Gooner, if you see this message: just because the Invincibles' record is safe, don't pack away the rubber sheets for another year just yet. There's an ever greater potential calamity that should be weighing on our bladders in the wee hours (if you'll excuse the pun): the prospect of Spurs actually winning something more significant than the Sun International Challenge Trophy this season.

I'm far less sanguine that Rich that there rest of their team is too mediocre for Spurs to be troublesome this year.

Hi Decaf and tomc. I agree with both of you. To expand on my thoughts, with Liverpool missing van Dijk for the season (assuming he does) and Manchester City not looking great (I’m hoping the game is overtaking Guardiola as I still think managers have their peak years like players), I think it could be another surprise title winners season, like the season Leicester won it.

I think Tottenham are definitely one of the possible winners, as we are despite the moans about players here. The North London clubs aren’t the only possibilities by the way. There are others.

But to coin a phrase, I think it might be ‘up for grabs’.

Post #517967  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing another youth project again. Invest in the best young players the club can afford and augment with reliable established pros. Go back to the "we don't buy superstars, we make them" approach. We might not win trophies but it would be a fun ride.

If we do it then we need to accept that they will all be cherry picked by bigger sides in a few years and we need to ensure we get huge money for them. I don't think it is necessary to go down a full project youth mode. But a quick look at the business model of Dortmund or even Leicester shows that good recruitment or young talent and selling at the right time can push a team on - we've got more money to invest than either of those so we could do what they do with an extra level added on top.
We've got to get some players who are sellable assets first, which will take a while because we are probably faced with losing most players we don't want for free or very low fees, we need to stop handing massive contracts to these players, make them earn it.

As things are, most of our players are in the 22-28 years age bracket. Only Luiz, Willian and Aubameyang are above 30 (plus Özil). Saka is our youngest and brightest prospect. Our problem is the ones that are above 25 and theoretically in their prime (Xhaka, Lacazette, Mustafi, Kola, etc) are considered not good enough and we can't move them.

Post #517968  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:55 am 

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hi Zed. Arteta need to tinker less. The original tinkerman, Ranieri reaped rewards with Leicester by basically having a settled first 11. He got 8 or 9 players starting at least 30 games that season they won the league.

I understand MA hasn't found the right balance yet. But constant chopping and changes not good for the team either.

Hi Goonie,
Cohesion as a team is necessary. But, must allow for adjustments occasionally if it means getting ahead. Ah, the Tinkerman, what a league win that was.

Formation aside, as movements on the pitch during matches should be fluid, I think this might be our best 11 (on paper):

Aubameyang Pépé
Saka Xhaka Partey Willian
Tierney Gabriel Luiz Bellerin
Leno

I would build the team around Aubameyang, our top scorer for the past two seasons, captain and highest paid player. I don't think MA has played him in his preferred position.

Post #517969  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:43 am 

Reading this morning that Upamecano has a £38m buy out clause. I fear that even if we could pay that others also will and he’s not coming here. From what I’ve seen he is one of the stand out young Cb in the world and is really worth double that in comparison to other transfer fees. I hope he goes to Barca, Bayern and Madrid as I’d hate one of the other prem clubs to snap him up

Post #517970  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 am 

I'd love to have him with Saliba and Gabriel in a back 3 but it won't happen. He'll end up at a big club.

Post #517971  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Hi Decaf and tomc. I agree with both of you. To expand on my thoughts, with Liverpool missing van Dijk for the season (assuming he does) and Manchester City not looking great (I’m hoping the game is overtaking Guardiola as I still think managers have their peak years like players), I think it could be another surprise title winners season, like the season Leicester won it.

I think Tottenham are definitely one of the possible winners, as we are despite the moans about players here. The North London clubs aren’t the only possibilities by the way. There are others.

Greeting Bernard.
I've very glad that you are penciling us in as contenders. I'm also not ruling us out, although I think that Spurs look the more likely dark horses.

I take a different view to others here regarding Arteta's tinkering and our current indifferent form. In my view, it is entirely understandable. He really does need to be given the freedom and space to try to figure things out. Someone compared him with Ranieri 'the tinkerman'. This is interesting, considering what Ranieri subsequently achieved and how he did it. I'm confident Arteta will start picking a more settled side once he's figured out what that is. So I'm giving him another season of fairly uncritical support.

Post #517972  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'd love to have him with Saliba and Gabriel in a back 3 but it won't happen. He'll end up at a big club.

We're a big club.

Post #517973  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:25 am 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

We're a big club.

Of course we are. To claim we’re not is just silly.

Post #517974  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Greeting Bernard.
I've very glad that you are penciling us in as contenders. I'm also not ruling us out, although I think that Spurs look the more likely dark horses.

I take a different view to others here regarding Arteta's tinkering and our current indifferent form. In my view, it is entirely understandable. He really does need to be given the freedom and space to try to figure things out. Someone compared him with Ranieri 'the tinkerman'. This is interesting, considering what Ranieri subsequently achieved and how he did it. I'm confident Arteta will start picking a more settled side once he's figured out what that is. So I'm giving him another season of fairly uncritical support.

Couldn't agree more. Arteta has been in the job less than a year. And won a trophy in that time. He's probably got 3 or 4 players in his current first choice 11 who he inherited and doesn't have a choice but to play right now, but who may well be gone next season. He has to be given time.

Post #517975  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Greeting Bernard.

Me too he has shown he's a serious coach and he needs time. Regarding the line up changes, the fixture list is even more crowded this season and rotation is inevitable and necessary. Hope to see Nelson, Smith-Rowe (is he fit?), Runarsson, Saliba and possibly Balogun feature tomorrow against Dundalk.

Post #517976  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Greeting Bernard.

Me too he has shown he's a serious coach and he needs time. Regarding the line up changes, the fixture list is even more crowded this season and rotation is inevitable and necessary. Hope to see Nelson, Smith-Rowe (is he fit?), Runarsson, Saliba and possibly Balogun feature tomorrow against Dundalk.

Smith-Rowe (if as you say he's fit) and Balogun are two that we definitely need to have a look at. They can offer us something different.

Post #517977  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:37 pm 

tomc wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Smith-Rowe (if as you say he's fit) and Balogun are two that we definitely need to have a look at. They can offer us something different.

Martinelli is due to be in full training by the end of December. Hopefully he’s retained his pace. We could really use that threat.

Post #517978  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:55 pm 

Unless he is one of those players who aren't the same after a big injury, I have a gut feeling Martinelli is going to be HUGE. The little I've seen of him so far suggests he's got all the tools to be a top striker. He times his runs well, he runs off the last defender well. He's a decent finisher. Decent pace.

Post #517979  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Hi bromley. I watched a programme called Sportscene. It’s a BBC programme of the Scottish Premier League highlights. A sort of BBC Scotland equivalent of the English BBC’s MOTD. I only bothered watching the highlights of the two matches featuring Rangers and Celtic last weekend. One of the games had a Balogun in one of the opposition teams, who were Livingston and Aberdeen. I assume it’s a different one, or has our Balogun gone to a Scottish club on loan?

Post #517980  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Hi bromley. I watched a programme called Sportscene. It’s a BBC programme of the Scottish Premier League highlights. A sort of BBC Scotland equivalent of the English BBC’s MOTD. I only bothered watching the highlights of the two matches featuring Rangers and Celtic last weekend. One of the games had a Balogun in one of the opposition teams, who were Livingston and Aberdeen. I assume it’s a different one, or has our Balogun gone to a Scottish club on loan?

I dont think so Bernard, he's listed in our Europa squad.

Post #517981  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm 

Andy Green, what's really going on in "our" city?

Post #517982  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

There's a Leon Balogun playing for Rangers, Bern. Big defender. Wiki says he's German.

Hold on....German.....plays for Rangers? Must be on your radar.

Post #517983  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:58 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There's a Leon Balogun playing for Rangers, Bern. Big defender. Wiki says he's German.

Thanks DHD. Was it Rangers? Thought it was the opposition facing either them or Celtic.

Post #517984  Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 pm 

Man U won 5-0 tonight. You just can't play a high line, or play in to their trap. Man U score a lot from a turnover and a single pass through to a quick striker. They rarely pick the lock in close. Man U are setting up to cede possession even at home to underdog teams now. We can't fall in to the trap at the weekend. Give their counter attack and pace the respect it deserves, keep the defence deep and disciplined. If we can also press their back line none of them are what describe as comfortable on the ball. Man U are very up and down, but the times they've been down v Palace and Spurs - and to some extent Brighton, they've been caught at their own game - taking the game on too much and getting done with pace behind. I think we need to go far more direct, have runners off the shoulder - not worry if we get caught offside a few times, keep chipping balls over the top for willing runners.

Post #517985  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 am 

While I think the league has been looking stronger as a collective, top to bottom, we are playing the clubs likely to be top 4 fairly early. Losses are bad result in our present state playing clubs with a more established XI is going to yield bad results at times.

Let's see how we progress. I'm still fairly optimistic although this team might kill that feeling yet. But for now, I think we'll be okay.

Post #517986  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:35 am 

The Man Utd result is very surprising but they can look good one minute and then go back to looking rudderless.

Post #517987  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Thanks DHD. Was it Rangers? Thought it was the opposition facing either them or Celtic.

Elliptically related at best to the Baloguns, but Celtic have a player called Frimpong in their team. Young Dutch lad of Ghanaian heritage. Wing back, I think. I'm told by my Celtic mate that he's highly regarded.

Post #517988  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Elliptically related at best to the Baloguns, but Celtic have a player called Frimpong in their team. Young Dutch lad of Ghanaian heritage. Wing back, I think. I'm told by my Celtic mate that he's highly regarded.

Yeah I saw Celtic have a player called Frimpong. We used to have someone with that surname.

Post #517989  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:12 pm 

The one wonderful thing about this season is that City and Liverpool don't look as invincible (no pun intended) as they have the last few seasons. One or both may end up running away from the rest of the league as they have done, but so far, the league is wide open. Great for fans of the league. There aren't any 3 point bankers as yet.

Post #517990  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:24 pm 

Serie A has become utterly boring with Juve the winner every season for the last several years. PSG almost the same level of dominance. Bayern Munich with a very similar level of dominance. Utterly boring to me. It's the SPL on steroids.

Post #517991  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:12 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The one wonderful thing about this season is that City and Liverpool don't look as invincible (no pun intended) as they have the last few seasons. One or both may end up running away from the rest of the league as they have done, but so far, the league is wide open. Great for fans of the league. There aren't any 3 point bankers as yet.

I agree Liverpool and City won't run away with it but I still think they'll be the top 2 and be a good 10 points ahead of the rest. There will be more surprise results but both of those teams are well established under their respective coaches and can cater for injuries better than the rest. I think they will both have a lot more 'easy wins' - particularly City when they get in their stride. If City can get Dias/Laporte as an established CB pairing they will be hard to stop. Liverpool need to buy a CB in Jan, It felt like they might be one short after letting Lovren go in the summer, now they have VVD out for the season.

Post #517992  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:42 pm 

[quote="Bernard"][quote="DHD"][quote="Bernard"]
Thanks DHD. Was it Rangers? Thought it was the opposition facing either them or Celtic.[/quote]
Elliptically related at best to the Baloguns, but Celtic have a player called Frimpong in their team. Young Dutch lad of Ghanaian heritage. Wing back, I think. I'm told by my Celtic mate that he's highly regarded.[/quote]
Yeah I saw Celtic have a player called Frimpong. We used to have someone with that surname.[/quote]
Hi Bern,
Emmanuel Frimpong. The "Dench" guy. May or may not be related to this Jeremie Frimpong at Celtic.

Post #517993  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
From what we have seen so far I rate Spurs as the main challengers. The way Kane has turned provider adds a string to their bow, and once match fit, Bale will add to their already dangerous attacking options. Apart from that wobble against The Hammers they are OK at the back. And, horrible *%^@ that he is, they have a winning manager.

Post #517994  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:47 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
From what we have seen so far I rate Spurs as the main challengers. The way Kane has turned provider adds a string to their bow, and once match fit, Bale will add to their already dangerous attacking options. Apart from that wobble against The Hammers they are OK at the back. And, horrible *%^@ that he is, they have a winning manager.

That's what I was worrying about. With 'that' front three, Jose's touch with the defence, and Ndombele looking like he might fulfill his potential ... However, if Kane gets injured its likely to go pear-shape.

Post #517995  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I agree Liverpool and City won't run away with it but I still think they'll be the top 2 and be a good 10 points ahead of the rest. There will be more surprise results but both of those teams are well established under their respective coaches and can cater for injuries better than the rest. I think they will both have a lot more 'easy wins' - particularly City when they get in their stride. If City can get Dias/Laporte as an established CB pairing they will be hard to stop. Liverpool need to buy a CB in Jan, It felt like they might be one short after letting Lovren go in the summer, now they have VVD out for the season.

Absolutely, the likely scenario is they finish 1,2, in no guaranteed order. I just like how its more competitive. With how the season has started and going so far, the possibility of the season being more competitive or even someone breaks them up from top 2 is better than the last couple years (if someone has a Leicester-esque season).

Post #517996  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:50 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hey omoh, there seems to be no middle ground with Mourinho managed sides lately. Either very good or very mediocre.
I also wouldn't count out Chelsea despite their issues. I hate to see it but Lamps is doing much better than I thought he would. As far as Man Utd, I think that project is much too big for OGS. He needs more experience.

Post #517997  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Yeah I saw Celtic have a player called Frimpong. We used to have someone with that surname.

Hi Bern,
Emmanuel Frimpong. The "Dench" guy. May or may not be related to this Jeremie Frimpong at Celtic.

Bit of a stretch that, Zed. Their Frimpong was born in Holland. Ours - Emmanuel - was born in Ghana but grew up on the Broadwater Estate in Tottenham, as did a number of our youth academy kids.

Tough place, the Broadwater. Tough kid, our Emmanuel. Just ask Nasri.

Post #517998  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

That's what I was worrying about. With 'that' front three, Jose's touch with the defence, and Ndombele looking like he might fulfill his potential ... However, if Kane gets injured its likely to go pear-shape.
Also next year ends in a 1...

Post #517999  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hi Bern,

Bit of a stretch that, Zed. Their Frimpong was born in Holland. Ours - Emmanuel - was born in Ghana but grew up on the Broadwater Estate in Tottenham, as did a number of our youth academy kids.

Tough place, the Broadwater. Tough kid, our Emmanuel. Just ask Nasri.

Hi DHD,
Yeah, just same last name doesn't mean he is a relative. Good thing Spurs didn't snap up Emmanuel.

Post #518000  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Man Utd result is very surprising but they can look good one minute and then go back to looking rudderless.

Oh MU have quite an advantage with ref Mike Dean and VAR on their side for Sunday. :angel4:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12947, 12948, 12949, 12950, 12951, 12952, 12953 ... 14269  Next