Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 94 guests

Post #509481  Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:25 pm 

Saw this on Twitter And found it the perfect example of what we are missing right now

https://twitter.com/thearseneview/statu ... 16704?s=21

It’s not even a striker running on to it but Özil who isn’t the quickest. I can’t recall when the last time I saw a ball like this from one of our current players. Feel free to correct me

Post #509482  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:45 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

No idea how long the Gleiber has been going , I joined when Granty Boy had a computer downstairs I'd have thought 1995 .

Agnes? Behave.

Not sure when I started posting but I do know that your posts were often very useful in figuring out how far you could go before Steve banned you...

:laughing7: I honestly didn't think calling Steve Gleiber a great effeminate poofter would cause offence ...but obviously he did

From the mists of time vault ....... Trish XXX , Mickey Sloane , Geoff from Budapest , BMurph .... the latter annoyed me at one stage , I tried to give him a kick in the nuts , he skillfully avoided the jibe , I laughed , we became good mates , his sister lived in NZ ,

Later he PM'd me said he was terminally ill so sadly I'd say he has passed on .

Shakespearean Pedant he had Daz's number big time .

Post #509483  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:26 am 

warrior wrote:
Unai Emery blasted for leaving Arsenal 'sick and weak' before Mikel Arteta arrival

Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit has let rip at Unai Emery, for the state he left the Gunners in before his dismissal back in December

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... l-21466599

Get real you pony tailed fairyfloss ........ your ponsy anorexic zip challenged countryman is more to blame for this current shower of sh**t than the speaking with a mouthful of marbles Spaniard .

Post #509484  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 am 

kiwipete wrote:
warrior wrote:
Unai Emery blasted for leaving Arsenal 'sick and weak' before Mikel Arteta arrival

Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit has let rip at Unai Emery, for the state he left the Gunners in before his dismissal back in December

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... l-21466599

Get real you pony tailed fairyfloss ........ your ponsy anorexic zip challenged countryman is more to blame for this current shower of sh**t than the speaking with a mouthful of marbles Spaniard .

Emery didn't make it easy for himself by allowing so many experienced players go in one summer. Čech, Kos and Monreal... plus Ramsey... and to a certain extent Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Elneny too. Think it destabilised the squad.

Post #509485  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 am 

Every year we hear of players being touted around for £100m+. It got me wondering actually how many of these absolute blockbuster signings are ever a true success? Also, any player going for £100m is likely to be the highest earner at your club with wages north of £250k per week minimum on a 4 year deal minimum I'd guess. More and more we are seeing huge money signings being loaned out, or clubs wanting to get them off their books asap.

I'd bet there are very few £100m players that would prove better value for money than the correctly scouted player, or number of players for a fraction of the cost.

Post #509486  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am 

There are some interesting players out there with gettable release clauses.
Werner from Leipzig at £50m
Pellegrini looks like the creative box to box we need - available for £25-30m
Hwang Hee-Chan from Salzburg available for £20m
Grealish £45m

Even Haaland who's just signed for Dortmund looks like he has a cheap release clause of £65m considering what he's done this season and is still only 19

If we lose Aubamayang this summer (which I think we have to if he won't sign, and it actually makes more sense to sell him now than sign him on a £300k per week 4 year deal) then I'd go all out for Werner. Pretty much a goal per game in Germany, very quick good all round striker.

Post #509487  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 am 

Goonie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Emery didn't make it easy for himself by allowing so many experienced players go in one summer. Čech, Kos and Monreal... plus Ramsey... and to a certain extent Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Elneny too. Think it destabilised the squad.

:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .

Post #509488  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .

I’m agreeing with you again. Apart from the bit where you’d take back Iwobi. Not a bad player at all but considering the price we got for him, in my view the right decision to sell. I thought Čech retired from playing to take his new job at Chelsea.

Koscielny was awful as well as being injury prone towards the end. I still remember him making Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak in the Europa League final against Chelsea. The same Giroud who may well have played less minutes at Stamford Bridge this season than David Luiz. Mkhitaryan? I can remember everyone moaning about him. And Juventus presumably want to see the back of Ramsey because he hardly ever plays and when he does is apparently garbage.

I really liked the unmentioned Welbeck but seeing how much he plays at Watford he’s another who had to go. I think you’re right that as soon as players go it’s easy to start overstating how much we’re missing them. It’s similar to what DHD said about Holding, who of course is still here. When he was injured people used to make out he was better than he is.

Post #509489  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
BMurph .... the latter annoyed me at one stage , I tried to give him a kick in the nuts , he skillfully avoided the jibe , I laughed , we became good mates , his sister lived in NZ ,

Later he PM'd me said he was terminally ill so sadly I'd say he has passed on .

Sad to hear that about BMurph.

Post #509490  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I'm just saying that many first squad players leaving could hv destabilised the club. Too many changes never a good thing. Morale must hv been affected somewhat. If not we won't be doing worse than last season.

Post #509491  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I think the decision to move Iwobi on was correct and a friend who follows Everton says he only impresses in dribs and drabs for them however I think if we had hung on to him this season he would have played an awful lot of games so far.

You have Özil producing one assist all year and Iwobi always looked more comfortable centrally than wide. I think our lack of options would have meant he featured heavily

Post #509492  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 am 

Rich wrote:
There are some interesting players out there with gettable release clauses.
Werner from Leipzig at £50m
Pellegrini looks like the creative box to box we need - available for £25-30m
Hwang Hee-Chan from Salzburg available for £20m
Grealish £45m

Even Haaland who's just signed for Dortmund looks like he has a cheap release clause of £65m considering what he's done this season and is still only 19

If we lose Aubamayang this summer (which I think we have to if he won't sign, and it actually makes more sense to sell him now than sign him on a £300k per week 4 year deal) then I'd go all out for Werner. Pretty much a goal per game in Germany, very quick good all round striker.

You can forget about Werner. He's going to Liverpool.

Post #509493  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I think the decision to move Iwobi on was correct and a friend who follows Everton says he only impresses in dribs and drabs for them however I think if we had hung on to him this season he would have played an awful lot of games so far.

You have Özil producing one assist all year and Iwobi always looked more comfortable centrally than wide. I think our lack of options would have meant he featured heavily

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.

Post #509494  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I’m agreeing with you again. Apart from the bit where you’d take back Iwobi. Not a bad player at all but considering the price we got for him, in my view the right decision to sell. I thought Čech retired from playing to take his new job at Chelsea.

Koscielny was awful as well as being injury prone towards the end. I still remember him making Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak in the Europa League final against Chelsea. The same Giroud who may well have played less minutes at Stamford Bridge this season than David Luiz. Mkhitaryan? I can remember everyone moaning about him. And Juventus presumably want to see the back of Ramsey because he hardly ever plays and when he does is apparently garbage.

I really liked the unmentioned Welbeck but seeing how much he plays at Watford he’s another who had to go. I think you’re right that as soon as players go it’s easy to start overstating how much we’re missing them. It’s similar to what DHD said about Holding, who of course is still here. When he was injured people used to make out he was better than he is.

and I in turn agree with what you are saying Bernard

... I did micro analyse each player pretty much the same way you did , came to the same conclusions ; then chopped it back .

I only mentioned Iwobi in the sense ..... that of that pile of rubble he would be the one I'd have least problem with returning . .

Post #509495  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm 

Goonie wrote:

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.

Think you've got that one wrong Goonie

I wouldn't want to upset John 1 who has a life sized statue of Aaron in his lounge but I think there is a tendency on your part and others to remember Ramsay
for his bursting runs , goals and work ethic from way back . He was a very good player ONCE .

but he could frequently produce passes straight to the opposition that Xhaka and Mustafi would drool over , was AWOL in a lot of matches he played , and was as injury prone as Diaby .

Hanging on to him far too long letting his contract ran down thus not getting a fee was the only loss for the Club I can see

Post #509496  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:56 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I wouldn't want to upset John 1 who has a life sized statue of Aaron in his lounge but I think there is a tendency on your part and others to remember Ramsay
for his bursting runs , goals and work ethic from way back . He was a very good player ONCE .

but he could frequently produce passes straight to the opposition that Xhaka and Mustafi would drool over , was AWOL in a lot of matches he played , and was as injury prone as Diaby .

Hanging on to him far too long letting his contract ran down thus not getting a fee was the only loss for the Club I can see

I was talking about players that left last summer. The reliable Monreal is another one.

Post #509497  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 am 

Goonie wrote:

I've often thought Ramsey would thrive in Arteta's system. Hate to think of the 'what ifs' had he stayed with us. But oh well.

Post #509498  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I do too ..... hand forced he would be the one I'd have back

I will always the hold the opinion until I'm six feet under .... modern footballers earn far too much money for what they produce . As a consequence people like

Walcott and Oxlade are propelled forward before they have learnt the basics , crossing , shooting , ball control .

People like Özil can fluff around contributing next to nothing and earn in a week five times what some ordinary Joe Bloggs earns in a year .

Someone said to me today Lewis Hamilton has the snots with Mercedes , he is on 65 million a year and they have now offered him 90 million to stay .

How gross , people struggling to find food and clean water and some prat is offered 90 million to drive a poxy Formula One race car for a year.

Post #509499  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am 

Anyone been to Florence in the last twelve months? If so recommendations of restaurants at the medium price to low level range if you have any. One of our stops in April when we head off over that way.

Post #509500  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 am 

On the whole we've been much better at selling and moving players on recently. One of Wenger's best attributes but also one of his weakest was his loyalty to players. We've had so many injury prone players who kept getting new deals.
If you look at all those injury prone players, Wilshere, Ramsey, Welbeck, Ox - every single one of them has had injury problems since leaving us. Whilst it may be true that we'd be a better team with them in the squad that is wholly reliant on them actually being fit. Of that group it'll probably be Ox who we regret the most but he's only played about 1/3 of the games for Liverpool than he could of if fully fit and at least we got a decent fee for him. Welbeck, Ramsey, Wilshere if sold at the right times could have earned us £60-70m

Iwobi we sold for £30m odd, if he hadn't played for us before would anyone be looking at what he's done for Everton this season and think that we should be signing Iwobi for £30m? or even £15m? Again we would probably be a better squad with him but that isn't the point, we weren't likely to get where we want to be with Iwobi so it is better to sell him and invest in players who can take us where we want to be ie: Martinelli.

Last summer we sold or released 11 players who were part of the first team squad, that is a huge turnover in players and it was much needed. I think we need to do something similarly as drastic this summer. Start with players on loan such as Elneny and Mkhitaryan and then go down through the first team squad with ruthlessness and you'd pick off a fair few, maybe not as many as 11 but easily 6-7 should go out the door and replaced.

Post #509501  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am 

Gossip columns saying Man U sniffing around Saka. I’d quote them £80M since they paid £50M for Wan-Bissaka.

Post #509502  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gossip columns saying Man U sniffing around Saka. I’d quote them £80M since they paid £50M for Wan-Bissaka.

Wonder how long a contract he’s on?

EDIT: Just checked. Apparently it expires in the summer of next year, so June 2021.

Post #509503  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

EDIT: Just checked. Apparently it expires in the summer of next year, so June 2021.

Blimey that’s interesting, that could be a pretty big call this summer for the club.

Post #509504  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Blimey that’s interesting, that could be a pretty big call this summer for the club.

Considering the club’s intention to stop losing players for nothing, you may well be right.

Post #509505  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Considering the club’s intention to stop losing players for nothing, you may well be right.

Seems like a no brainer, sign him up on a long term deal. I can’t think why he’d want to leave. He’s only just broken through.
I think if Arsenal somehow let Saka slip through our fingers to a rival club it would say more about the state of the club than any of ramsey, sanchez etc

Post #509506  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Seems like a no brainer, sign him up on a long term deal. I can’t think why he’d want to leave. He’s only just broken through.
I think if Arsenal somehow let Saka slip through our fingers to a rival club it would say more about the state of the club than any of ramsey, sanchez etc

Signing Saka on a long-term deal is the ideal scenario. However, whilst he has only just broken through, I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.

Post #509507  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm 

This guy is the agent of Saka by the way

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=31152

Post #509508  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.

After the Moyes , Giggs , Mourihno , van Gaal , Ole Gunnar fiascos I'd think the appeal of signing for Man U has long gone down the tubes ... they are in the same gigantic cesspit we are . Klopp is a totally different matter anybody in their right mind would want to head there ... replacement for Milner ?

Here's the outfit representing Saka ....Cantwell would be good buy from Norwich at 14 million

.https://www.transfermarkt.com/elite-pro ... rater/5620

Post #509509  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.

After the Moyes , Giggs , Mourihno , van Gaal , Ole Gunnar fiascos I'd think the appeal of signing for Man U has long gone down the tubes ... they are in the same gigantic cesspit we are . Klopp is a totally different matter anybody in their right mind would want to head there ... replacement for Milner ?

Here's the outfit representing Saka ....Cantwell would be good buy from Norwich at 14 million

I just think the status of Manchester United is still miles above that of Arsenal. I agree that Liverpool look the ideal club to join these days. But I really don’t think the appeal of Manchester United has yet fallen too far. They are still probably the biggest club in England, even if they’re not currently the best team. I honestly feel Saka would be tempted by both of them.

Post #509510  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

More likely Cantwell's transfer fee would be at least double than 14m. Could still be a good buy at 30m. Everton have some interesting young players as well - Holgate, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.

Post #509511  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm 

Good article in the Grauniad on Reiss Nelson:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/13/reiss-nelson-arsenal-jadon-sancho-whos-better-mikel-arteta

Post #509512  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm 

DHD wrote:

That is good, DHD. Thanks for that. Nice to see the kids emerging and it's good to hear how highly they all rate Arteta as a coach and as a man. I like that.

Post #509513  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 pm 

Darren wrote:
DHD wrote:

That is good, DHD. Thanks for that. Nice to see the kids emerging and it's good to hear how highly they all rate Arteta as a coach and as a man. I like that.

Breaking recent habits, I’m actually there on Sunday, Darren.

Might see you there?

Edit

.....and I’m really looking forward to it. Notwithstanding our lack of craft and passing in mf, we have some exciting players. I really like our current bunch of youngsters and I think that under Arteta, they all now have a game plan. Confidence is high.

Post #509514  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 pm 

City banned from uefa comps for 2 years. On the face of it that means 5th place will get champions league next season.

Huge news. Bound to appeal it

Post #509515  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm 

What a joke that VAR is ..Wolves have just had a goal disallowed for a bloke's foot being about 5mm offside .

Post #509516  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

No Pete. I don’t have a life sized statue of Aaron in my lounge.

Think Colossus of Rhodes in my front garden and you’d be nearer the mark.

Btw it’s Ramsey.

Post #509517  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 am 

DHD wrote:

Nice article. Keep going Reiss!
Good to know how engaged Arteta is with the team.

Post #509518  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 am 

I have not yet bought into the Arteta hype. I think I have seen us play well for 2 half games Man U and Chelsea.

The games coming up for us:
Newcastle h, Olympicios X 2, Everton h,Westham h,Portsmouth, Brighton, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich h, Wolves.

IMO he no longer has the excuse that he hasn't had time to work with his squad. Arteta has had time to access the squad, work on his game plan and make decisions about players etc - what is reasonable to expect from these games. I don't think it is too much to ask for solid wins until Wolves.

I will be interested to see if he really does chose players who are performing or if he goes for safety first policy and sticks with the old guard.

Post #509519  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I have not yet bought into the Arteta hype. I think I have seen us play well for 2 half games Man U and Chelsea.

The games coming up for us:
Newcastle h, Olympicios X 2, Everton h,Westham h,Portsmouth, Brighton, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich h, Wolves..

I would add in Bournemouth in the cup where we were excellent in the first half.
I agree with you that he needs to start getting wins now. A very inviting run of fixtures to do so

Post #509520  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:57 am 

Man City have an amazing youth team, regularly winning the youth cup etc but hardly any of them make it anywhere near the first team. Even Foden, who is so talented struggled for minutes. I wonder if Arteta might go back and try to persuade some of those young players to move to Arsenal with the greater promise of first team football?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12735, 12736, 12737, 12738, 12739, 12740, 12741 ... 14269  Next