Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gooner7, warrior and 124 guests

Post #516521  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm 

Martinez performance review based on Bernd Leno expectation standards

https://youtu.be/8LSUuxAkoo8

1) gets done on his near post for the 1st

2) weak hand for 4th goal

3) weak hand for 5th goal

4) dives the completely wrong way for 4 out of the 5 penalties and gets nowhere near any of them.

Post #516522  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

4) dives the completely wrong way for 4 out of the 5 penalties and gets nowhere near any of them.

Not to mention his woeful performance in the 7-5 against Reading. The only keeper in club history to concede five goals in more than one League Cup game? Useless. And who was that dopily-tracking-back German lad in the number 47 shirt? Pulis was dead right - he'll never amount to anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPasPLfdy3M

Post #516523  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not to mention his woeful performance in the 7-5 against Reading. The only keeper in club history to concede five goals in more than one League Cup game? Useless. And who was that dopily-tracking-back German lad in the number 47 shirt? Pulis was dead right - he'll never amount to anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPasPLfdy3M

Done on his near post again for goal 2 and again weak hands

For goal 3 ... the weakest hands of all time !! (Imagine if Leno did that)

For goal 4, weak hands should have parried!

Goal 5 I thought he was supposed to be good at crosses, ridiculous

See how easy this is.

Post #516524  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:14 pm 

A few German outlets reporting Leverkusen are close to signing Kolasinac for €10m.

Post #516525  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:51 pm 

Liverpool's Thiago positive for Covid 19....................

Will the teams have to isolate?

Post #516526  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm 

This from JustArsenal website....

Arsenal has been looking to sign either one of Thomas Partey and Houssem Aouar for much of this summer, and Diawara will represent a much cheaper alternative to both players.

Post #516527  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:09 pm 

Zed wrote:

Arsenal has been looking to sign either one of Thomas Partey and Houssem Aouar for much of this summer, and Diawara will represent a much cheaper alternative to both players.

Oh God, Kaba’s back.

I actually saw a couple of his appearances back then.

Post #516528  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm 

john1 wrote:
Zed wrote:

Oh God, Kaba’s back.

I actually saw a couple of his appearances back then.

All I remember is him hitting the post several hundred times. That can’t be right can it?

Post #516529  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:08 pm 

I know youtube compilations can make anyone look like a world beater, but I think the good ones does a pretty good job of showing the style of a player. This is a good one on Aouar. Shows a lot of his dribbling ability, but also more incisive passing than I've seen from him before. The more I see about Aouar the more he seems like the perfect signing for us this summer, really hope we get this one over the line.

Post #516530  Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:29 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
A few German outlets reporting Leverkusen are close to signing Kolasinac for €10m.

Please let that be true. The defensive left side of the squad is so well covered. Gabriel, Mari, Tierney, Holding can all play left CB in a 3 and Tierney, AMN and Saka can all play left back or left wing back.

Lots of reports that Napoli have everything sealed and ready to go for Sokratis at £5m but they need to sell Koulibaly - who was meant to be interesting City but they've just signed Dias for £65m. Maybe they want another £60m CB!?

If we got £15m from Kolasinac and Sokratis it would be a pair of really good sales. Not in the outrageous price category but just that we moved both on for any fee at all!

Post #516531  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:56 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Even if it is 9.99m, make it happen!

Post #516532  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:02 am 

As usual Arsenal are leaving it late when it comes to transfers. Sokratis, Torreira, Holding, Mustafi (cough..spit... :42laughter: ), Chambers, Kolasinac, Özil, Guendouzi, Lacazette, (Elneny and Xhaka?) still on the books. All have been mentioned as players we will or want to sell for the right deal. Özil omitted, because we can't get rid of him.

Post #516533  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:40 am 

During the debate Trump openly supported a group called the Proud Boys who his own FBI has identified as a far right extreme group with white supremacist ideals. He was playing to his base. It's been a hundred years since we had a president who was openly supremacist (Wilson) and we have had a Supreme Court justice in the 1920s who was a member of the KKK (Hugo Black). Truman was mentored by a KKK member politician but rejected it later. Surreal.

There is literally no line that Trump can cross for his base. It is not said as hyperbole. Literally. It's not about decency or character but the aforementioned. Southern and midwest evangelical Christians especially, but also all others, the same. They have more access to Trump than any other President and in return they will excuse literally anything. Pastors have been on Fox News commenting on his sexual and verbal abuse and said "We knew we were not getting a boy scout". These same evangelicals have been on the wrong side of every major substantive social issue in American history: pro slavery, pro segregation, anti Women's suffrage in 1919, anti Civil Rights movement, pro Vietnam war, anti 1970s women's movement, anti gay marriage legality. Modern day pharisees are what most regard them.

Post debate they interview "undecided voters". There is no such thing. At least no such thing as a choice between Biden and Trump. Anyone who says they are undecided fall into the following categories:

1. Trump voters who don't want to be ostracized socially by saying so. These people are in areas that are progressive or evenly distributed. Good luck on getting that job with Trump supporting posts on social media. The biggest reasons by far people are being unfriended on Facebook is support for Trump. It's routine for women on dating apps to put "No Republicans or Trump supporters". Family members have stopped speaking to each other. I've seen it in friends. Trump is far, far too polarizing to not have a firm opinion either way. They are voting for Trump but won't say they will to friends, pollsters, etc.

2. Republicans who hate Trump. They are heartbroken their party looks like a 1930s brown shirt Berlin beer hall gathering. They are deciding whether which is worse. A Democrat controlled America or Trump and its truly a conflicted decision for them.

3. Bernie Sanders (or Elizabeth Warren or Andrew Yang) supporters. They dislike Biden. They either didn't vote for Hillary Clinton and instead went 3rd party such as the Green Party or they stayed home. They are conflicted with do they hold their nose and vote for Biden or do they stay home and Trump possibly getting a second term.

Win or lose, look for Trump 2.0, Tucker Carlson, Fox News show host to probably run in the 2024 election. Far, far, far more dangerous than Trump. Smarter, well spoken, gaslights better than almost anyone. Extreme right nationalist who can sound reasonable. He can get the middle because he is for or against issues they agree on such as American foreign militarism. He wants to end the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq totally. He supports some things the middle or even the left supports. He had to sack his producer this year. A close friend of his, when it was found he was linked to extreme supremacist groups and rhetoric supporting them. He is no buffoon. He is Goebbels incarnate.

Post #516534  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:06 am 

Just looked thru the Partey and Aouta highlights and particularly the ones that say something like this is why Arsenal want..... (fill in the name) and I see nothing that would suggest they will remarkably improve our team. I have seen nothing to suggest a fast paced brilliantly creative player who will score goals and provide a lot of assists. I see people say they may need a year to settle in. Partey looks a bit like Pepe- can dribble but easily shut down. No devastating passes from either, and nothing to suggest an immense physical presence.

I see a player such as Saka who has many skills and can play in many positions. I would rather move him into the midfield and let him adapt for a year. Afterall are the targets better than Özil or Guendouzi. Management includes making the most of your resources. He has not done that. Arteta seems to be getting players he wants- Soares, Mari, Luiz, Leno over Martinez, Willian. But really none have significantly improved us. We continue to fail to create chances. He seems to prefer older players and is not really developing the younger plsyers. A cynic would suggest he is getting players to try and protect his job.

I see neither of these players we are chasing as good enough. Am I doubting Arteta - I suppose I would say I would need to see significant changes in our playing style and players to believe he is the messiah others are suggesting. We have tightened our defending at the expense of our attack.

Forget the Liverpool game. I think we had about 5 shots in our home game against Westham and they had at least double that and against Fulham about 13 shots against a team that will likely finish bottom. The upcoming games are really significant to see if we really are developing a playing style. The players now are committed and try but that is not enough.

Post #516535  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just looked thru the Partey and Aouta highlights and particularly the ones that say something like this is why Arsenal want..... (fill in the name) and I see nothing that would suggest they will remarkably improve our team.

Have to ask, have you ever seen a player you've rated? Henry maybe? Zidane, or at least Maradona?

Post #516536  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:29 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
During the debate Trump openly supported a group called the Proud Boys who his own FBI has identified as a far right extreme group with white supremacist ideals. He was playing to his base. It's been a hundred years since we had a president who was openly supremacist (Wilson) and we have had a Supreme Court justice in the 1920s who was a member of the KKK (Hugo Black). Truman was mentored by a KKK member politician but rejected it later. Surreal.

There is literally no line that Trump can cross for his base. It is not said as hyperbole. Literally. It's not about decency or character but the aforementioned. Southern and midwest evangelical Christians especially, but also all others, the same. They have more access to Trump than any other President and in return they will excuse literally anything. Pastors have been on Fox News commenting on his sexual and verbal abuse and said "We knew we were not getting a boy scout". These same evangelicals have been on the wrong side of every major substantive social issue in American history: pro slavery, pro segregation, anti Women's suffrage in 1919, anti Civil Rights movement, pro Vietnam war, anti 1970s women's movement, anti gay marriage legality. Modern day pharisees are what most regard them.

Post debate they interview "undecided voters". There is no such thing. At least no such thing as a choice between Biden and Trump. Anyone who says they are undecided fall into the following categories:

1. Trump voters who don't want to be ostracized socially by saying so. These people are in areas that are progressive or evenly distributed. Good luck on getting that job with Trump supporting posts on social media. The biggest reasons by far people are being unfriended on Facebook is support for Trump. It's routine for women on dating apps to put "No Republicans or Trump supporters". Family members have stopped speaking to each other. I've seen it in friends. Trump is far, far too polarizing to not have a firm opinion either way. They are voting for Trump but won't say they will to friends, pollsters, etc.

2. Republicans who hate Trump. They are heartbroken their party looks like a 1930s brown shirt Berlin beer hall gathering. They are deciding whether which is worse. A Democrat controlled America or Trump and its truly a conflicted decision for them.

3. Bernie Sanders (or Elizabeth Warren or Andrew Yang) supporters. They dislike Biden. They either didn't vote for Hillary Clinton and instead went 3rd party such as the Green Party or they stayed home. They are conflicted with do they hold their nose and vote for Biden or do they stay home and Trump possibly getting a second term.

Win or lose, look for Trump 2.0, Tucker Carlson, Fox News show host to probably run in the 2024 election. Far, far, far more dangerous than Trump. Smarter, well spoken, gaslights better than almost anyone. Extreme right nationalist who can sound reasonable. He can get the middle because he is for or against issues they agree on such as American foreign militarism. He wants to end the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq totally. He supports some things the middle or even the left supports. He had to sack his producer this year. A close friend of his, when it was found he was linked to extreme supremacist groups and rhetoric supporting them. He is no buffoon. He is Goebbels incarnate.

Tucker Carlson? The Democrats could threaten to run Jon Stewart against him.

Post #516537  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just looked thru the Partey and Aouta highlights and particularly the ones that say something like this is why Arsenal want..... (fill in the name) and I see nothing that would suggest they will remarkably improve our team. I have seen nothing to suggest a fast paced brilliantly creative player who will score goals and provide a lot of assists. I see people say they may need a year to settle in. Partey looks a bit like Pepe- can dribble but easily shut down. No devastating passes from either, and nothing to suggest an immense physical presence.

I see a player such as Saka who has many skills and can play in many positions. I would rather move him into the midfield and let him adapt for a year. Afterall are the targets better than Özil or Guendouzi. Management includes making the most of your resources. He has not done that. Arteta seems to be getting players he wants- Soares, Mari, Luiz, Leno over Martinez, Willian. But really none have significantly improved us. We continue to fail to create chances. He seems to prefer older players and is not really developing the younger plsyers. A cynic would suggest he is getting players to try and protect his job.

I see neither of these players we are chasing as good enough. Am I doubting Arteta - I suppose I would say I would need to see significant changes in our playing style and players to believe he is the messiah others are suggesting. We have tightened our defending at the expense of our attack.

Forget the Liverpool game. I think we had about 5 shots in our home game against Westham and they had at least double that and against Fulham about 13 shots against a team that will likely finish bottom. The upcoming games are really significant to see if we really are developing a playing style. The players now are committed and try but that is not enough.

I would disagree. Rome wasn't built in a day, and for me, getting a bit of defensive stability (even at the expense of attacking flair), getting the players' discipline, motivation and confidence back, and showing decisiveness, are exactly what I would have as steps 1-3.

With regards to midfielders, I doubt that the ready-made Vieira or Iniesta is on the market and if so would cost a bomb. With Aouer, who is only 22, we would be buying potential. Of course that is risky. But if Arteta sees some essential attribute in Aouer that is lacking the current contingent, its worth the risk.

Post #516538  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:35 am 

Decaf wrote:
I would disagree. Rome wasn't built in a day, and for me, getting a bit of defensive stability (even at the expense of attacking flair), getting the players' discipline, motivation and confidence back, and showing decisiveness, are exactly what I would have as steps 1-3.

Agree with this, but it's not like we've become a worse attacking side under Arteta than we were under Emery, or the final years of Wenger. So to me, the defensive stability is not at the expense of anything else, it's just starting with the basics.

Post #516539  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just looked thru the Partey and Aouta highlights and particularly the ones that say something like this is why Arsenal want..... (fill in the name) and I see nothing that would suggest they will remarkably improve our team.

Have to ask, have you ever seen a player you've rated? Henry maybe? Zidane, or at least Maradona?

When bergkamph signed, Alan Ball, Sol Campbell, Ian Wright, Özil ( so some don’t fully work out). My point is simply we need to buy quality or we should persist with trying some of our Youngsters otherwise we waste scarce cash on a very risky player when we may be better promoting from within. We need to find a place for Saka and if that means changing our current system then we must try it.

Post #516540  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
When bergkamph signed, Alan Ball, Sol Campbell, Ian Wright, Özil ( so some don’t fully work out). My point is simply we need to buy quality or we should persist with trying some of our Youngsters otherwise we waste scarce cash on a very risky player when we may be better promoting from within. We need to find a place for Saka and if that means changing our current system then we must try it.

What signings would you like then, if Partey and Aouar so clearly aren't of the required quality?

Post #516541  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 am 

Chess game with regards to the league cup game tomorrow night. Maybe that's a reason Saka didn't play. Klopp has a much better squad obviously but both have to decide just how much they want to commit to this tie.

We have the Blades on Sunday. Not an easy team at all to get something from. Liverpool have Villa, a far easier opposition. They may be inclined to put out a fairly strong team and rely on the gulf in talent to beat Villa. Neither side wants to exert too much energy. My guess is a far more subdued and duller game than we had Monday night. Either side hoping to nick a 1 - 0 win.

I don't think any side has won all the domestic trophies as far as I know but I don't really know. If it hasn't happened, Liverpool are probably the best placed side for some time to be able to do it.

Post #516542  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Did you see Partey in the 2 legs v Liverpool in last season's champions league? He was superb, shut down everything, physical, disciplined, mobile, composed.
I don't think Aouar and Partey are the only central midfielders that could improve us and whether they are hits or misses is impossible to predict but he on paper profile of each player does fit what we need in the team.

Post #516543  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:42 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't think any side has won all the domestic trophies as far as I know but I don't really know. If it hasn't happened, Liverpool are probably the best placed side for some time to be able to do it.

2019 Man City won all 3 domestic trophies, 1st team to do it I think

Post #516544  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
We need to find a place for Saka and if that means changing our current system then we must try it.

Did you know that Saka has only just had his nineteenth birthday on the 5th September? He’s already played plenty of games for a kid of that age. I’ve no problem with Arteta picking and choosing his matches rather than deciding so early that he automatically gets in the team every time. If he did, I’m not at all sure that would benefit Saka’s longer term career, and therefore Arsenal.

Post #516545  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:43 am 

Kolasinac to Leverkusen is happening according to very reliable journalist Fabrizio Romano. 11 million euros plus add ons.

Arsenal still working with Atletico for a permanent deal for Torreira

Post #516546  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:

Doesn’t Partey come in the equation? Meaning money plus Torreira for Partey?

Post #516547  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
We need to find a place for Saka and if that means changing our current system then we must try it.

Did you know that Saka has only just had his nineteenth birthday on the 5th September? He’s already played plenty of games for a kid of that age. I’ve no problem with Arteta picking and choosing his matches rather than deciding so early that he automatically gets in the team every time. If he did, I’m not at all sure that would benefit Saka’s longer term career, and therefore Arsenal.

These things are so hard to predict and often become much clearer with hindsight, for example Sancho and Foden. Sancho played loads, Foden very sparingly, Sancho is further along I think, but in a different team situation, and they're both well placed in their careers, social distancing indiscretions with Icelandic locals aside. Saka I think would thrive either way, but I've got to admit I feel a bit anxious when I don't see him in the team for three games in a row.

Wilshere it seems played too much, but maybe he would have got those impact injuries in any case, for me he will forever be the one who slipped through the cracks.

Post #516548  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Seems to be the trend to do the deals separately to keep things simple, although if both deals are done, you could describe it as a swap with money involved going one way.

Post #516549  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I've seen speculation (and I stress the word speculation) that Atletico are waiting for us to trigger his release clause, as that would mean the entire fee is being paid directly. Any other sort of deal could be negotiated to be paid in installments (like the Pépé deal), and it would leave less money for Atletico to spend now. No idea if it's true or not.

Post #516550  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 am 

AMN to utd? Surely not.

Post #516551  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

You've got to let Arteta get the squad he's happy with to implement the style he's going for, otherwise there's no point saying he has or hasn't done this or that. We aren't Burnley scrapping to make the best of things, working with the squad we've got - we're The Arsenal trying to get to the very top and win the biggest prizes. It's been said so many times, Klopp - 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st. Every leap apart from 2nd to first was squad changes, and he was busy winning in Europe that season.

If Arteta, who is now the manager not just first team coach, wants these players and you can get them, you work your arse off to try to get them. If he gets two midfielders in, he's maybe one player away from saying, this is my team, you can judge me now. Atm, his record signing is someone else 72M mistake - it would seem right now.

Post #516552  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am 

rotterdamnation wrote:
AMN to utd? Surely not.

Where have you seen that? For 40M+ I'd think about biting...

Post #516553  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 am 

Ash wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:
AMN to utd? Surely not.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-19022109

Man Utd fans don't seem keen, but then they've put a picture of Reiss Nelson on this story so perhaps they don't know their arse from their elbow :1laughter:

Post #516554  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:26 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

These things are so hard to predict and often become much clearer with hindsight, for example Sancho and Foden. Sancho played loads, Foden very sparingly, Sancho is further along I think, but in a different team situation, and they're both well placed in their careers, social distancing indiscretions with Icelandic locals aside. Saka I think would thrive either way, but I've got to admit I feel a bit anxious when I don't see him in the team for three games in a row.

Sancho is some (or nearly) eighteen months older than Saka. Up until the start of this season, Saka had played in 42 first team games for Arsenal, when he was still 18. Obviously the appearances he’s made so far this season have to be added to 42 to give his overall total. But I do wonder if Sancho had played so many more than 42 first team games before his nineteenth birthday? I don’t know the answer by the way, but over forty games before his nineteenth birthday doesn’t sound too bad for Saka, to me anyway.

Sorry, but I do think getting anxious if he doesn’t play three games in a row sounds a little bit of an overreaction, or worrying about very little.

Post #516555  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 am 

Ash wrote:
Ash wrote:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-19022109

Man Utd fans don't seem keen, but then they've put a picture of Reiss Nelson on this story so perhaps they don't know their arse from their elbow :1laughter:

:1laughter:

Post #516556  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

2019 Man City won all 3 domestic trophies, 1st team to do it I think

Wow, didn't realize it was so recent. I don't recall it being talked about at all but then again, I'm not in England. An incredible achievement.

Post #516557  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Kolasinac to Leverkusen is happening according to very reliable journalist Fabrizio Romano. 11 million euros plus add ons.

This one seems to be happening, very good deal if true.

Solid rumours about Torreira, Sokratis and Mustafi as well. Pretty big squad overhaul going on now.

Post #516558  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Sancho is some (or nearly) eighteen months older than Saka. Up until the start of this season, Saka had played in 42 first team games for Arsenal, when he was still 18. Obviously the appearances he’s made so far this season have to be added to 42 to give his overall total. But I do wonder if Sancho had played so many more than 42 first team games before his nineteenth birthday? I don’t know the answer by the way, but over forty games before his nineteenth birthday doesn’t sound too bad for Saka, to me anyway.

Sorry, but I do think getting anxious if he doesn’t play three games in a row sounds a little bit of an overreaction, or worrying about very little.

The not playing at all for 3 games in a row is more a nod to Gaz's point, that he's one of the best players we have, so why not play him? I get 1 in 2, or 1 in 3, its when it's less frequent than that I start to wonder why. But yes the plan is clearly for him to be a big part of our future I'm not worried about that, he seems to be developing fine, just I'm not sure exactly where he will fit into this side as it is and I want to see him play.

His playing time as far as I can see is a little under Sancho's at the same age - he had 43 appearances in the 18/19 season alone - but that just goes to the point that Sancho was first choice, Foden wasn't and they developed a little differently in terms of their public profile and value but they've both made excellent progress.

Post #516559  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I see neither of these players we are chasing as good enough.

... did you forget to take your happy pill this week.

Do you seriously believe it’s impossible for Partey and Aour to eclipse the incredible achievements at Arsenal of Xhaka, El Nenny and Torreira? (Club legends with statues being built when they retire obviously)

Do you think this is a similar comment to when you said you didn’t want Kieran Tierney anywhere near Arsenal

Post #516560  Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I've seen speculation (and I stress the word speculation) that Atletico are waiting for us to trigger his release clause, as that would mean the entire fee is being paid directly. Any other sort of deal could be negotiated to be paid in installments (like the Pépé deal), and it would leave less money for Atletico to spend now. No idea if it's true or not.

That's how I'd read it as well. As he has a release clause Atletico are refusing to negotiate and the money must be paid 100% in one lump sum on day 1. Perhaps Arsenal could overpay but stagger the payments?

I can see Aouar happening very soon, Partey could go to the wire and I just hope we have some proper back ups - there are plenty of good players out there who can fulfill that defensive, powerful, pacey destroyer role. I think we need both players to get in to the top 4 this year.

You're talking £90m for the pair, if we need to break even this year in transfers then its virtually impossible that we can raise £90m from what are ok with leaving (on the basis that our business is roughly even so far)
Kolasinac £10m, Sokratis £5m, Balogun £5m, Torreira £25m Those 4 seem the most likely deals at the moment. Mustafi £10m, Chambers £15m......if only we could fetch £25m for Guendouzi and just convince Özil to leave for free (adding his £18m wages in to the pot) we could make it happen.
Really those 8 players are not going to add anything this season (Mustafi could be useful) so it is frustrating to have them clogging up the squad. It is a struggle to push forward when so much is holding you back. We're slowly getting through it though, the key will be to not be in this same position next summer and the one after - which means our purchases can't be duds!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12911, 12912, 12913, 12914, 12915, 12916, 12917 ... 14269  Next