Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, Rich, warrior and 156 guests

Post #490801  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Why did he stay so long? Loyalty? Stubbornness? Hardly capital offences.

I suspect a degree of megalomania (quite possibly undiagnosed) may have played some part of it. My impression was that he enjoyed having authority, even to the extent of what some may unpolitely call being 'power mad' or a 'control freak'. He surely had massive influence across the club, even beyond the football side of the business. I reckon he loved it, and knew he wouldn't get it elsewhere. Particularly at a very big club.

It's feasible that what cost Wenger his massive job security was, firstly, not qualifying for the Champions League two years in a row, which costs a lot of money. Secondly, a significant growth in empty seats at the Emirates, even if it wasn't costing much or any money when season ticket holders don't turn up.

I think it was the latter as Darren and a few others pointed out last season.

It was just a PR disaster for the club that the stadium was visibly half empty for so many games. I think if it wasn’t for that he would still be here

Post #490802  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:06 pm 

Furball wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

What baffles me is why the EPL doesn't have extra balls available. Why must there only be one match-ball? Anyone know why?

Wait, they only have one match ball?

Multi ball football must be something worth doing. :laughing7:

Post #490803  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 pm 

Furball wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

What baffles me is why the EPL doesn't have extra balls available. Why must there only be one match-ball? Anyone know why?

Wait, they only have one match ball?

Yup, I noticed the same ball must be retrieved for a throw-in or goal-kick. There were moments when the crowd refused to throw the ball back, and play was held up awaiting the ball.

Post #490804  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

They do. They often seem to throw different balls back when it goes out of play.

Really? I must be watching a different league. Was it only recently changed?

Post #490805  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm 

Hoffenheim meet Man City 17:55 on BT Sport 3 does anyone know if our Reiss is playing?

Post #490806  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Really? I must be watching a different league. Was it only recently changed?

Not sure when, to be honest. But I don't think it's brand new.

Post #490807  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:59 pm 

Guess who's leading 1-0

Post #490808  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:05 pm 

Man City score 1-1

Post #490809  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm 

The Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury press conference has recently happened. I can't see Fury lasting more than half a dozen rounds. It won't end well for Fury I think.

Post #490810  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 pm 

Mkhitaryan to miss Arsenal's Azerbaijan trip due to security fears

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/mkhitaryan-misses-arsenal-s-azerbaijan-trip-due-to-security-fears-20181002-p5077e.html

Post #490811  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm 

Watching Gabriel for Valencia playing Man U tonight. Seems another strange one that we got rid of quite abruptly and for pennies as well, £10m for a player whose contract wasn’t running down.
Im not saying Gabriel is the answer but i’d take him over mustafi

Post #490812  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

Really? When they played together I'd say Gabriel usually looked even more dodgy than Mustafi. Moreover, I think Mustafi is one of the players who has improved this season. I'm not saying that I won't be delighted if we recruit a top level central defender or two (as I also think Koscielny needs replacing). But I would suggest he's so far this season been better than he generally was last season. Without being great, he's been okay. A few mistakes but nobody is perfect and in my view he's played well enough to compensate for a few errors.

Post #490813  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 am 

Rich wrote:
Watching Gabriel for Valencia playing Man U tonight. Seems another strange one that we got rid of quite abruptly and for pennies as well, £10m for a player whose contract wasn’t running down.

I'm with you on this one. Gabriel was all heart when he was playing for us. I think Wenger disliked those who dared give their differing opinion. And the a@@ kissing ones like Ramsey was always favoured. You know who the a@@ kissing ones are, from the post match comments in support of him.

Post #490814  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Really? When they played together I'd say Gabriel usually looked even more dodgy than Mustafi. Moreover, I think Mustafi is one of the players who has improved this season. I'm not saying that I won't be delighted if we recruit a top level central defender or two (as I also think Koscielny needs replacing). But I would suggest he's so far this season been better than he generally was last season. Without being great, he's been okay. A few mistakes but nobody is perfect and in my view he's played well enough to compensate for a few errors.

Mustafi surprisingly lost his form. When he first started, we never lost when he played. Then it went downhill quite quickly. I feel more comfortable with Gabriel, unfortunately.

Post #490815  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
I read and hear lots of people say Ramsey is not being used in his best position and the team isn’t set up to his strengths. The question I have is that if you could set a perfect team and formation for Ramsey what would it be? You can even include other fantasy midfielder types ie I’ll put him alongside a Kante etc
I’m struggling to nail it down - that’s not to say he’s not a good player I’m just not sure what his best position and system is

To be honest rich I just don’t think he fits into the top tier of midfielders out there. He’s played practically every position for us with a variety of colleagues and has only managed 1 decent season where everything he tried ended up in the net. Aside from that if he wasn’t a homegrown player I think he would be scrutinised as equally as Xhaka and whilst he contributed some cup winning goals it’s very hard to recall many games where he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and dominated the midfield.

I'd agree with that Top Gun. He's had some good moments and gets around the pitch a bit but my general impression is that he's forever trying to play ad-lib and so his consistency suffers. I'd be ok with letting him go because he's not worth what the media reports say he's asking for.

Post #490816  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:21 am 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

To be honest rich I just don’t think he fits into the top tier of midfielders out there. He’s played practically every position for us with a variety of colleagues and has only managed 1 decent season where everything he tried ended up in the net. Aside from that if he wasn’t a homegrown player I think he would be scrutinised as equally as Xhaka and whilst he contributed some cup winning goals it’s very hard to recall many games where he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and dominated the midfield.

I'd agree with that Top Gun. He's had some good moments and gets around the pitch a bit but my general impression is that he's forever trying to play ad-lib and so his consistency suffers. I'd be ok with letting him go because he's not worth what the media reports say he's asking for.

Just saw the comments from his agency on twitter saying the club retracted their offer it’s not down to him. It seems Emery and Sanelhi have looked at it and just thought it’s crazy paying him all that money given the periiphal type of performances he turns in.

One thing I would say is it’s bloody funny because we offered him 250k a week months and months ago and he and his agents didn’t take it because they thought they could get more by leaving it. Now we have retracted the offer and surely nobody else will pay him 250k a week now. What you get for being greedy

Post #490817  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Just saw the comments from his agency on twitter saying the club retracted their offer it’s not down to him. It seems Emery and Sanelhi have looked at it and just thought it’s crazy paying him all that money given the periiphal type of performances he turns in.

One thing I would say is it’s bloody funny because we offered him 250k a week months and months ago and he and his agents didn’t take it because they thought they could get more by leaving it. Now we have retracted the offer and surely nobody else will pay him 250k a week now. What you get for being greedy

About time we made a stand. Wish we had done it years ago with Theo and Özil.

Post #490818  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Babu, is that you flashing gang signs? :1laughter:
Are you from "south central" Zurich?

No man, I is from "West Side" Zurich.

How painful for the Gleiber ......two half wits as a tag team ....

AG ....".is that you Babu :53big-emoticons: gobble gobble "

Babu " no AG :12hello-bye: gobble gobble

Post #490819  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:42 am 

Gaz .... you watch the grand final .? ..... always supported the Roosters since the days I lived in Cooooggeee in 1969 .
Playing Cronk with a broken collar bone .. a stroke of genius ... Melbourne would set out their stall to smash him a la Souths in the semi
..and all the while Keary is switching right left running the show .

Great when you see well worked pre match game plan pay dividends .

Latrell Mitchell ... love that kid ...fresh faced , ton of grunt ... he is a relation of Evonne Goolagong but wont have a bar of her because she was so far up her own backside when he was a toddler .

Post #490820  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

What is Ramsey getting now? Should just offer him a two-year extension on the same wages. I like him, a very good player who can give us about 10 goals a season but he won't be too much of a loss.

Post #490821  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

For me the issue is giving up a £30+m transfer fee. If Emery and Sanelhi don't rate him, at least to the extent of paying him what they once were willing to, go through with the offer so he signs it. Then sell Ramsey next summer. Because make no mistake, that's £30+m less in next summer's transfer budget as I can't see Kroenke making up the difference from his own pocket.

Post #490822  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What is Ramsey getting now? Should just offer him a two-year extension on the same wages. I like him, a very good player who can give us about 10 goals a season but he won't be too much of a loss.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I think there are already too many midfield options and I used to like him but from what I've seen this year he isn't doing a hell of a lot that others can't.

Post #490823  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For me the issue is giving up a £30+m transfer fee. If Emery and Sanelhi don't rate him, at least to the extent of paying him what they once were willing to, go through with the offer so he signs it. Then sell Ramsey next summer. Because make no mistake, that's £30+m less in next summer's transfer budget as I can't see Kroenke making up the difference from his own pocket.

And what if he then does what a few others have done and refuse to leave cos no one else is willing to pay him the same?

Post #490824  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:50 pm 

Babu III wrote:
In other horrific news, Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce was horrified when a cabbage was thrown at the dug-out during Villa's 3-3 draw with Preston North End.

Cabbage thrown at Steve Bruce: Aston Villa & police hunt fan

"To say it's disappointing is an understatement for a club like this," said Bruce.
"Unfortunately, it sums up the society we are in at the moment. There's no respect for anyone."

Yes, yes, Mr. Bruce. Horrific. The Club you manage, Villa, has got 1 win in 9 games in the second division, and just blew a 2-0 lead against Bottom-of-the-Table Preston North End, and you mugs managed to miss a 97th minute penalty.

I think Society is heading in the right direction if all you got at the end of that fuckwittery was a cabbage lobbed at the dug-out, missing your fragile body by a considerable distance. Just think the damage it could have done to your fair features if it had hit you in the face, God Forbid!

I have to admire the forethought of the fan "you know what, I'm gonna take me a cabbage to the match just in case"

Post #490825  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

And what if he then does what a few others have done and refuse to leave cos no one else is willing to pay him the same?

And by getting him to sign a 2 year deal we would now be able to demand a transfer fee - good for us, BUT now we have to convince another team to pay £30m AND pay Ramsey £250k per week. Suddenly we have narrowed down the number of teams who could afford that to a handful, and how many of those would actually want Ramsey for that.
My guess would be if this happened we'd be forced to sell at a knock down rate or he'd just run down his contract again - a £250k per week contract!

Post #490826  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:22 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I like him, a very good player who can give us about 10 goals a season but he won't be too much of a loss.

I agree but I’d point out he can’t give us 10 goals a season or he would have done it by now. He only ever scored 10 in the league once when he was in the purple patch season and before or after that he’s never made it to double figures. Even last year when he was being played in his “preferred” no10 spot with Özil wide a lot he didn’t reach double figures.

He’s alright just not as good as people make out.

Post #490827  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For me the issue is giving up a £30+m transfer fee. If Emery and Sanelhi don't rate him, at least to the extent of paying him what they once were willing to, go through with the offer so he signs it. .

Totally see the logic but they probably will try and sell him in January and have a club lined up or they are rightly concerned if he signs a new 250k a week deal no other club will pay that after its signed. I think it’s a rare example of the club showing some balls.

There’s also a suggestion that his agents have been hawking him around other clubs already.

Post #490828  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:33 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I can see Liverpool paying the same as Arsenal. But anyway, we're talking of giving up £30+m here.

Post #490829  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Totally see the logic but they probably will try and sell him in January and have a club lined up.

Well I hope that's the case.

Post #490830  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 pm 

We paid about £5m for Ramsey a decade ago, which has surely been very good business, even if he does leave on a free. Worth remembering that summer 2008 similar priced deals took Dos Santos to Spurs; Muamba to Bolton; Sidwell to Villa; and Behrami to West Ham. Spurs paid three times as much for Bentley; Inter £13m for Muntari and Villa £12m for Milner. We paid OM £12m for Nasri. In that context Ramsey has paid back his transfer fee many times.

Post #490831  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:53 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
We paid about £5m for Ramsey a decade ago, which has surely been very good business, even if he does leave on a free. Worth remembering that summer 2008 similar priced deals took Dos Santos to Spurs; Muamba to Bolton; Sidwell to Villa; and Behrami to West Ham. Spurs paid three times as much for Bentley; Inter £13m for Muntari and Villa £12m for Milner. We paid OM £12m for Nasri. In that context Ramsey has paid back his transfer fee many times.

That's a good point Hoy. We've certainly got value for our outlay. The power is all with the players now. There will be far more of this type of situation. Man Utd have several players heading into the last year of their contracts. It is the way football works now.

Post #490832  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 pm 

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

That's a good point Hoy. We've certainly got value for our outlay. The power is all with the players now. There will be far more of this type of situation. Man Utd have several players heading into the last year of their contracts. It is the way football works now.

He’s surely fulfilled a lot of add-one from that deal that probably pushed it nearer 10m but the point still has some validity. He was still an asset that managed better could have seen the club net 20M+ however.

Post #490833  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:25 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
I have to admire the forethought of the fan "you know what, I'm gonna take me a cabbage to the match just in case"

At the Emirates they check your pockets and bags for knives. At Villa Park they check you for cabbages.

Post #490834  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 pm 

dec wrote:
Yes. Its a swings and roundabout situation. You win some when you sign an out-of-contract player and you lose some when your man runs down his contract. The trick is in the long run to be on the right side of the balance sheet. When you look at the huge sums of money lost on deals by some top clubs, Arsenal don't do too badly.

Post #490835  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

Spurs! Spurs! Spurs!
Go Poch go!

:5encouragement:
:15laughter: :42laughter:

Post #490836  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 pm 

Zed wrote:
Spurs! Spurs! Spurs!
Go Poch go!

:5encouragement:
:15laughter: :42laughter:

Crazy approach by Tottenham. Diving into tackles all over the place. You can't do that against Barcelona.

Post #490837  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

I really can’t join in with the unbridled joy when spurs get stuffed in the champions league. We used to be in it and it was the other way around

Post #490838  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I really can’t join in with the unbridled joy when spurs get stuffed in the champions league. We used to be in it and it was the other way around

Messi tore them apart tonight. 4-2 didn't reflect the game. Messi was just magnificent. Pity that Sky don't show la Liga anymore. Don't see half enough of him these days.

Post #490839  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I like him, a very good player who can give us about 10 goals a season but he won't be too much of a loss.

I agree but I’d point out he can’t give us 10 goals a season or he would have done it by now. He only ever scored 10 in the league once when he was in the purple patch season and before or after that he’s never made it to double figures. Even last year when he was being played in his “preferred” no10 spot with Özil wide a lot he didn’t reach double figures.

He’s alright just not as good as people make out.

He got 11 goals in all comps last season, averaging 1 goal every 3 games which is a very good ratio for a midfielder. But Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mkhit plus Özil are more than capable of making up for those numbers over a season in a squad without Ramsey.

Post #490840  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 am 

Babu III wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
How painful for the Gleiber ......two half wits as a tag team ....

AG ....".is that you Babu gobble gobble "

Babu " no AG gobble gobble

yup, and you're stuck with it, forever...

:laughing7: :angel8: :emoticon_mClapp:

you stupid *%^@*** tw.at

:laughing7: :laughing7:

[ 571908 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12268, 12269, 12270, 12271, 12272, 12273, 12274 ... 14298  Next