Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 94 guests

Post #510241  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:41 am 

Torreira has a broken ankle. That's it for his season.

Post #510242  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 am 

DHD wrote:

Compare the penalty for that tackle with the Aubameyang’s red card. Inconsistent or what? And the commentators were justifying the tackle.

Post #510243  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Emery was flop but at least he wasn't toxic. So on the whole I'd say we dodged a bullet ... which subsequently found its way into the nether regions of our neighbours :laughing7: :laughing7: .
Yes when he signed up with Spurs that was almost as good as us winning a trophy. So glad he got no nearer to our club than the away benches.

Post #510244  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:29 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
Eric Dier has just run up in to the stand and had an ‘altercation’ with a spurs fan. Video on twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafWr4v_fyE

According to Jose he went to defend his younger brother.
I know its probably not the best thing he has ever done, but something in me admires Dier's reactions. I have always rated the guy's passion and if he is pissed off with the Spurs fans, I wouldn't say no if he came our way. No Fancy Dan that one.

Post #510245  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:31 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Compare the penalty for that tackle with the Aubameyang’s red card. Inconsistent or what? And the commentators were justifying the tackle.

I missed it the other night but having viewed it, it's a clear example of a scissor tackle - the type that's supposed to have been outlawed. Strange that Mike LOOK-AT-ME Dean missed it, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgU2toNxzng&feature=emb_logo

Poor sod.

EDIT - reading the caption beneath the video, it says "Lucas Torreira injured his leg". Simple. Mike Dean clearly agreed.

Post #510246  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:20 pm 

We avoided City, Man Utd and Chelsea, although going to Sheffield won't be easy by any measure.
Hoping Man Utd get upset today but not much chance of that happening either. I expect City or Leicester to win the competition but it would be nice if made it into the finals and get a bit of luck there. Lifting a trophy would do wonders for this team.

Post #510247  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:54 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I know its probably not the best thing he has ever done, but something in me admires Dier's reactions. I have always rated the guy's passion and if he is pissed off with the Spurs fans, I wouldn't say no if he came our way. No Fancy Dan that one.

Another midfielder we have been linked is Southampton's Hojbjerg... wouldn't say no to this one either.

Post #510248  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:36 pm 

Goonie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Another midfielder we have been linked is Southampton's Hojbjerg... wouldn't say no to this one either.
Don't know much about him, but Soton have good players.

Post #510249  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

There was an admirable implacability about the way he kept going. I just can't imagine Bellerin doing that.

Post #510250  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm 

Goonie wrote:

How on earth is that pronounced? :1laughter:

Post #510251  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hey Old Man - you seen the Jimmy Greaves documentary yet? BT Sports production. It's excellent.

He was truly an amazing player but had the misfortune to play at a time of very limited TV coverage. He was solely a back-page sensation, not like Best who was an all-round media darling.

Post #510252  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Lamina, at Bournemouth I think, is another with bags of potential, bought from Southampton I believe. Young and I think with a reputation for a bit of an attitude.

Post #510253  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hey Old Man - you seen the Jimmy Greaves documentary yet? BT Sports production. It's excellent. He was truly an amazing player but had the misfortune to play at a time of very limited TV coverage. He was solely a back-page sensation, not like Best who was an all-round media darling.
Hi DHD - I haven't seen it but very much want to. He was a phenomenonal goalscorer - the original fox-in-the-box. I believe he once said one of his regrets in football was not playing for The Arsenal. A WBA mate of mine recalls him scoring 5 goals in a 7-1 win over the Albion, and maintains Jimmy only touched the ball five times! Probably an exaggeration but he was that predatory.

Post #510254  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 pm 

Nope, I’m thinking of Jefferson Lerma :1laughter:

There is a Mario LEMINA who is on loan from Southampton at Glatasary who came via French national set up and then Juve with a big reputation. Not him.

Jefferson Lerma apparently is a DM who can play at RB.

Post #510255  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:10 pm 

Yes I’m going to start banging the drum for this guy or Doucoure at Watford. I think he’d do the job nicely for us. Youngish but not too young, premier league experience, keeps it simple and really mobile. Here’s a performance from February against Chelsea

I’d be very happy with a signing like that. Although I’m guessing it’d take about £30m in today’s market if he’s got a long contract.

Post #510256  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 pm 

And he’s already scored for us!!

https://talksport.com/football/451225/a ... -goal/amp/

This is just meant to be. Let the record show that I called it.

Post #510257  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
I believe he once said one of his regrets in football was not playing for The Arsenal.

Greaves definitely said that. I remember it well; albeit not that well as I don’t recall if it was a television or printed interview.

Post #510258  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I believe he once said one of his regrets in football was not playing for The Arsenal.

Greaves definitely said that. I remember it well; albeit not that well as I don’t recall if it was a television or printed interview.

I watched him regularly due to being dragged down to the hinterlands by my mates. He was truly incredible. Hate to admit it but he’d be right up there with the best strikers I’ve ever seen. You young-uns - just check his stats.

Post #510259  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:26 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I watched him regularly due to being dragged down to the hinterlands by my mates. He was truly incredible. Hate to admit it but he’d be right up there with the best strikers I’ve ever seen. You young-uns - just check his stats.

Surely the most prolific English striker of all time. He even scored 9 in 12 for ac Milan and he never wanted to go there and was trying to get himself booted out.

My mate is a Barnet fan and said in greaves season he spent there it was height of his drink problem and he still turned up every week and scored goals.

Post #510260  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Surely the most prolific English striker of all time. He even scored 9 in 12 for ac Milan and he never wanted to go there and was trying to get himself booted out.

My mate is a Barnet fan and said in greaves season he spent there it was height of his drink problem and he still turned up every week and scored goals.

Fantastic player. In my view the best English striker ever. Made it look so easy. Also one of the earliest TV pundits (Saint and Greavsie) on ITV.
I actually played against him for Eton Manor when he was at Barnet and he shattered a few illusions...didn't stop moaning at the ref...miserable as hell...
This hasn't affected my opinion of his football prowess....an all time great....wish he'd played for us. Having said that he was surrounded by better players at Spurs in the early mid sixties than what we had....he might not have flourished so much for us...who knows.

Post #510261  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:07 pm 

If we need to make some extra money from sales then perhaps we need to be ruthless with some of the players from the academy. I don’t mean the likes of Nketiah or Nelson - unless utterly stupid money is offered.
But looking down at some of those guys who are 21 ish and have gone on loans. A bit like Bielik last year, didn’t we get £10m for him. That’s a great deal. Not everyone can generate that sort of sale but we need to make a call on some players and sell them. The loan gives the exposure but we can’t just keep loaning these boys out hoping they’ll show their Arsenal quality, all the while their contract runs down.

Post #510262  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:51 am 

I saw a reserve match at Barnet many years ago and I loved the atmosphere. If I lived in England I think I would spend a lot of time at the small clubs. Reminds me of the same in America at small colleges and HS games.

Post #510263  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:39 am 

:22encouragement: :53big-emoticons:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=226025718530301

Post #510264  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am 

Another great Jose moment

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/footba ... m-1.988945

Apparently he can only prioritise one game for the week Burnley or Leipzeg. I wonder how other managers have done it over the years. He is turning into a joke - but the good news is he is Spurs joker.

Post #510265  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 am 

Interesting to see the media reaction to Dier climbing over seats to confront a fan in the stands. It has generally been its was the wrong thing to do but we all understand why he did it and therefore it can be excused and really we should open up a discussion on fan abuse.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been Xhaka, Özil or Pogba (ie a foreign player who the media love to criticise at any opportunity)

Post #510266  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:34 am 

This coronavirus is looking really serious now. If cases rise exponentially, which seems likely once it takes hold, then you would think that major sporting events would have to be postponed.

Look at what is happening in Italy.

I've heard experts say that its a mild illness comparable to flu but I've also seen interviews with people who have now recovered after suffering with the virus and they have said how bad it is.

If this becomes a worldwide pandemic, if it's not already, then who knows what will happen.

Post #510267  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Wouldn't want him as a player but definitely respect what he did in defending his brother.

Post #510268  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am 

Darren wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Wouldn't want him as a player but definitely respect what he did in defending his brother.

According to a Spurs mate, Dier has apparently been playing like an absolute drain for weeks, ever since he came back from illness. As usually happens down there, the crowd have turned on him big-style to the point where's he's become the lightning rod for all the club's ills. It's not helped by the fact that he grew up in Portugal and is widely believed to be unduly favoured by Mourinho.

Post #510269  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:05 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

An amusing man too. I like the story about Alf Ramsey taking elocution lessons in order to help his upward mobility in the eyes of the FA. Alf was trying hard to shed his East London working-class roots. In the England dressing room Jimmy, who grew up in the same part of London as Alf, is said to have enquired of his manager how much the lessons cost. On hearing the reply Jimmy advised Alf in front of all the players he had wasted his money. Alf had the last laugh by leaving Jimmy out of the World Cup final.

Post #510270  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:

An amusing man too. I like the story about Alf Ramsey taking elocution lessons in order to help his upward mobility in the eyes of the FA. Alf was trying hard to shed his East London working-class roots. In the England dressing room Jimmy, who grew up in the same part of London as Alf, is said to have enquired of his manager how much the lessons cost. On hearing the reply Jimmy advised Alf in front of all the players he had wasted his money. Alf had the last laugh by leaving Jimmy out of the World Cup final.

And he came sixth in the 1970 London to Mexico rally. Hard to imagine Harry Kane doing something similar during the off-season.

Post #510271  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
This coronavirus is looking really serious now. If cases rise exponentially, which seems likely once it takes hold, then you would think that major sporting events would have to be postponed.

Look at what is happening in Italy.

I've heard experts say that its a mild illness comparable to flu but I've also seen interviews with people who have now recovered after suffering with the virus and they have said how bad it is.

If this becomes a worldwide pandemic, if it's not already, then who knows what will happen.

A pandemic of sorts is the very kind of "black swan" event that will trigger a global economic crash with it. The main people dying from it are those over 60, elderly largely due to having diminished immune systems and people with existing health issues that have over stressed immune systems.

If you are relatively young and healthy you won't probably die from it. The very curious thing is that there are some areas with a lot of Chinese that have very few cases, especially sub Saharan Africa even though they have by far the largest number of expat Chinese working there. 10s of thousands but no real outbreak among the native populous. Same with India, Thailand and Philippines. The latter two having many Chinese tourists.
South America seems curiously unaffected as well. Its mainly Europe, northern Asia and America.

Post #510272  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:03 pm 

There are 21 approved premier league referees, 50% of Arsenal games have been referred by just 3 of them

Post #510273  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 pm 

That's a crazy stat. Conspiracy?

Post #510274  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:56 pm 

And Dean is refereeing 50% oft the time among those 3.. :42laughter:

Post #510275  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:19 pm 

Martin Atkinson to ref tomorrow's game against WHU.

Post #510276  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:58 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

And he came sixth in the 1970 London to Mexico rally. Hard to imagine Harry Kane doing something similar during the off-season.

Hard to imagine Kane having any personality at all.

Post #510277  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:01 pm 

Arteta doesn’t fancy Guendouzi and Maitland niles

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Kokcu.html

Can’t help but feel a bit sorry for Maitland Niles who has endured a torrid time filling in at right back.

Post #510278  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Arteta doesn’t fancy Guendouzi and Maitland niles

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Kokcu.html

Can’t help but feel a bit sorry for Maitland Niles who has endured a torrid time filling in at right back.

Is the article meant to support your statement that Arteta doesn't fancy Guendouzi and AMN?

Post #510279  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:06 am 

Ash wrote:
Yes I’m going to start banging the drum for this guy or Doucoure at Watford. I think he’d do the job nicely for us. Youngish but not too young, premier league experience, keeps it simple and really mobile. Here’s a performance from February against Chelsea

I’d be very happy with a signing like that. Although I’m guessing it’d take about £30m in today’s market if he’s got a long contract.

Doucoure would be good for us I think. We sure can do with a centre mid chipping in with at least 5 goals a season. Wylan Cyprien at Vieira's Nice could be a cheaper option. Or we may already have the solution at the club. Willock and Emile Smith Rowe both look capable of becoming consistent scorers from midfield.

Post #510280  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 am 

Would Dangote make a good owner?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-21642506

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12754, 12755, 12756, 12757, 12758, 12759, 12760 ... 14269  Next