Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: kiwipete, warrior and 58 guests

Post #486321  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm 

Do we have another attacking player to throw on?

Post #486322  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:51 pm 

For me, the sooner this poxy season ends the better.

Post #486323  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:52 pm 

thofman wrote:
The standard of crossing from Arsenal players is embarrassing.

This aspect of the game has let us down regularly. Yet, the manager can't fix it. Years and years of the same.

Post #486324  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 pm 

Come on Welbeck, face the goal to take a shot! Instead the players prefer to face away from goal for the pass back. Very irritating aspect of this Arsenal team. We are a goal down and need any kind of attempt.

Post #486325  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 pm 

Another piss poor pass. Boy do we miss Alexis :icon_mrgreen:

Post #486326  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:58 pm 

Good riddance wenger. You messed up the last 3-5 years of this club and you’re going to mess up the next 5 after your gone.

Woeful today absolutely woeful. Held at arms length all night

Post #486327  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 pm 

Good old Arsenal, you can rely on them to find a way to lose a game they should be winning.

*%^@ off back to Spain Bellerin and Monreal. If those two are the answer then I want to know what the question is.

Post #486328  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 pm 

That's the story of Wenger's reign. Promised so much, but delivered far below the promise or the potential.

Post #486329  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

Haven't watched much Arsenal in the last year but on this evidence, the new manager has an even bigger task than I thought. A nothing team, really. A couple of points above Burnley is about right. Comfortable for Atletico. Thanks, Rioch... I mean Wenger. And good riddance.

Post #486330  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

Weak spineless gutless performance. Not one leader on the field. If I ever see Wellbeck or Wilshire on the field for us again it will be too soon. Defensively a disgrace.

Post #486331  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm 

As mentioned, can't wait for the season to end. Can't wait to see the departure of Wenger. His lack of tactical nous and boring approach will soon be over. Retire well Wenger. Just don't get anywhere near Arsenal again. Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #486332  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm 

Godin, Costa and Greismann are on a different planet to any of the Arsenal players.

Post #486333  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm 

It’s going to be a bloody long way back, but at least we can now start the journey.

Wenger you have completely screwed us and the next manager up.

The tie was only so close because they played all but half of it with 10 men. They totally bossed us. Different class. We are miles off the pace.

I expect to be also rams for at least 5 years. Any new manager cannot work miracles and certainly won’t be able to undo this mess wenger has made over night.

Great that he’s gone but a sad sad time for arsenal

Post #486334  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:03 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
As mentioned, can't wait for the season to end. Can't wait to see the departure of Wenger. His lack of tactical nous and boring approach will soon be over. Retire well Wenger. Just don't get anywhere near Arsenal again. Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should have marched Wenger out 2 weeks ago and tried something different.

Post #486335  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:03 pm 

socrates wrote:
Good old Arsenal, you can rely on them to find a way to lose a game they should be winning.

How on earth "should" we be winning this? We're 6th in the league and up against a top class side, with the best defensive organization in Europe. They haven't let in a single goal at home since January.

Let down by a moment of poor defending again but overall we were not poor.

Post #486336  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
It’s going to be a bloody long way back, but at least we can now start the journey.

The tie was only so close because they played all but half of it with 10 men. They totally bossed us. Different class. We are miles off the pace.

I expect to be also rams for at least 5 years. Any new manager cannot work miracles and certainly won’t be able to undo this mess wenger has made over night.

5 years is about correct.

Post #486337  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Weak spineless gutless performance. Not one leader on the field. If I ever see Wellbeck or Wilshire on the field for us again it will be too soon. Defensively a disgrace.

Welbeck does next to nothing for us. Can no longer carry the ball onto the opponent's penalty area. Stumbles too easily. And can't even shoot properly for a striker.

Wilshere has been past it for a long time. What he had going for him was his guts and guile. But sadly, that itself is not enough anymore.

Post #486338  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 pm 

Rich wrote:

Also Rams was that a Freudian slip as that’s Kroenke *%^@ team in wherever it is in America.

Not sure I agree as close to sticking my head in the oven as I am right now that they totally bossed us. If either of our full backs put in a decent ball of the 10 great chances they must have had we might be looking at a different scoreline. Clearly I’m not going to argue it much because I watched this non performance really from a bunch of misfits who aren’t really a team.

Post #486339  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

How on earth "should" we be winning this? We're 6th in the league and up against a top class side, with the best defensive organization in Europe. They haven't let in a single goal at home since January.

I am talking about this game, we had more than enough of ball, some good chances and some great situations but failed to do anything with them. Monreal and Bellerin's final balls were atrocious. How many crosses did Monreal hit the first defender or massively overhit.

Post #486340  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 pm 

Get rid of Xhaka too. Lazy player, who is giving nothing to the team. Slow and lazy. Cannot be relied upon to burst a gut for the team. So many stray passes as well. And all because he is too casual with his play. Yet, Wenger made him Captain in some matches. Sigh! :20hospitals:

Post #486341  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

We were good in the middle of the pitch but shite at the business ends.

Over the two legs we have had mountains of possession, gifted them two goals and failed to convert numerous chances and golden opportunities.

Post #486342  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 pm 

55% possession with 7 shots but only 1 on target. Speaks for itself. Just not good enough.

They had 15 shots with 5 on target.

Post #486343  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Get rid of Xhaka too. Lazy player, who is giving nothing to the team. Slow and lazy. Cannot be relied upon to burst a gut for the team. So many stray passes as well. And all because he is too casual with his play. Yet, Wenger made him Captain in some matches. Sigh! :20hospitals:

I thought he was quite good tonight.

To me it was our final ball that let us down and that was mainly from the two fullbacks. Having said that we really do fail to get bodies in the box when crosses do come in.

Post #486344  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm 

But in all honesty - how many of us are surprised we lost?
We all hope for the best but the first half was typical Arsenal and it came as no surprise that we didn't get a goal. Second half we seemed to try for a while but for a multitude of reasons we couldn't get the equalizer. Just a few more games to go and we can start looking at Arsenal without Wenger and the tippy tappy style that the team is simply not capable of playing.
Roll on next season!

Post #486345  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm 

I would have thought it was worth throwing on AMN to energise the midfield.

Post #486346  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I am talking about this game, we had more than enough of ball, some good chances and some great situations but failed to do anything with them. Monreal and Bellerin's final balls were atrocious. How many crosses did Monreal hit the first defender or massively overhit.

But we can't sit here and complain about every aspect of the team for an entire season and then expect some sort of miracle performance away against one of those sides that are everything we're not. They are much better than us. We tried. Not faulting the players tonight, we all know there's some rebuilding to be done.

Post #486347  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

But we can't sit here and complain about every aspect of the team for an entire season and then expect some sort of miracle performance away against one of those sides that are everything we're not. They are much better than us. We tried. Not faulting the players tonight, we all know there's some rebuilding to be done.

Did you think we would have as much of the ball as we did tonight and have as many great situations to put in a quality final ball. I thought we played better tonight than I thought we would but as I said earlier we somehow contrived to lose a game where we had enough possession and good situations to at least draw the game. Athletico are a great defensive side but they aren't worldbeaters.

Post #486348  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:20 pm 

We played well in many aspects over the two legs against excellent opposition. But two pieces of shoddy defending was the difference. No surprise as we've been throwing away goals like that for years.
Still think the new manager will have something to build on so I'm looking forward to next season. And can't wait for Wenger to finally *%^@ off, albeit several years too late.

Post #486349  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 pm 

socrates wrote:

To me it was our final ball that let us down and that was mainly from the two fullbacks. Having said that we really do fail to get bodies in the box when crosses do come in.

Xhaka was really good again. Made a crucial tackle at the end to prevent a goal, think that should ve mentioned with all the rightful criticism he gets for causing goals.

Agree about the lack of quality on the final ball as well. Everytime we had the chance for a cross or final pass it was just a bit off. Made it easier to defend for an already great defensive team.

Post #486350  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

They aren't worldbeaters Haz or they wouldn't have dropped into the Europa League in the first place. They are an extremely well drilled defensive side but Barcelona they are not.

With a little more quality and some ruthlessness in the final third we could have won this game tonight, even with Bellerin's faux pas.

Post #486351  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Xhaka was really good again. Made a crucial tackle at the end to prevent a goal, think that should ve mentioned with all the rightful criticism he gets for causing goals.

Agree about the lack of quality on the final ball as well. Everytime we had the chance for a cross or final pass it was just a bit off. Made it easier to defend for an already great defensive team.

Exactly, we could not have wished for some better crossing opportunities than we had tonight.

Post #486352  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm 

I have today there were times tonight when a final cross or pass was relatively simple and we messed it up. These were moments I would expect a decent championship level player to get right 8/10 times. So often it seems to me that arsenal players are very good at playing 5-10 yard passes with a first touch but ask them to dribble, shield a ball, cross a ball, shoot with power and accuracy, shoot at all! And they look like they haven’t really played football at the top level at all.

Post #486353  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Agree with this. We've been average at best this year, worse than that in many games. We did ok over two legs but came up against a better side who took the chances when they came their way.

New era about to start. Disappointing end for a once brilliant manager.

Post #486354  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 pm 

Time to rebuild. We need leaders along the spine. A new CB, DCM and GK, and more importantly a new defensive system.

Post #486355  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Did you think we would have as much of the ball as we did tonight and have as many great situations to put in a quality final ball. I thought we played better tonight than I thought we would but as I said earlier we somehow contrived to lose a game where we had enough possession and good situations to at least draw the game. Athletico are a great defensive side but they aren't worldbeaters.

When it comes to defending, they are worldbeaters. They are the best defensive team in the world, and have been for several years. Arsenal put in a decent effort tonight but couldn't break them down. Godin was superb. Watching the CL games in the last few weeks, Godin is like a player from another era. Atletico are far more than just a defence too. Gabi and Koke are very good midfielders while Costa and Griezmann are world class.

Post #486356  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Exactly, we could not have wished for some better crossing opportunities than we had tonight.

It was totally obvious where we’d get chances from tonight. Look at the first leg, 35 crosses. 7 of the 8 goals they’d conceded at home were from crosses. They had inexperienced full backs who would tuck in tight to the CB, all the space was out wide. To not exploit that with good crosses and players attacking the ball was criminal. Fergie classic Man U teams would have terrorised them

Post #486357  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
They aren't worldbeaters Haz or they wouldn't have dropped into the Europa League in the first place. They are an extremely well drilled defensive side but Barcelona they are not.

Well, they're ahead of Real Madrid in La Liga so I'd say they're pretty close to being a world class team. There are not many teams I'd fancy over them over two games.

Agree that we could've done more with a bit more quality in the final third, but it's just not there this season. There's no belief in the team.

Post #486358  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:30 pm 

Unsurprising result tonight.

Worth watching Martin Keown on BT Sport. He is really giving Özil and Wenger a hard time.

I did feel sorry for Wenger but you reap what you sow.

Post #486359  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Time to rebuild. We need leaders along the spine. A new CB, DCM and GK, and more importantly a new defensive system.

I think it’s a long road back. If Wenger had been sacked when he should have 3-5 years ago we had a decent base to build from and CL football.

No doubt in my mind that wenger has left us in a worse place than when he found us.

6thin the league. Humiliated in the league cup final. Dumped out of the fa Cup by conceding 4 to lower league opposition. Completely outclassed by 10 Man Atletico and setting records left, right and centre for defeats, low pours totals, streaks etc.

A season to forget. The new manager has a tough tough task on his hands

Post #486360  Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:32 pm 

Keown giving Özil an absolute coating.

“Not fit to wear the shirt”

“Lost count of how many times he’s gone sick this season”

“Bet he’ll have a breakdown and won’t play again the season”

[ 571628 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12156, 12157, 12158, 12159, 12160, 12161, 12162 ... 14291  Next