Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 192 guests

Post #511521  Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
There are fines for breaching the rules in shut down and they are being issued. people have been pretty good at being confined to home other than for food, medical or exercise.

I presume you left off work, as not everyone have jobs that can be done from home.

Round where I live I get the impression the rules are being adhered to. When I have had to go out, everywhere seems far more deserted than used to be the case. The police are able to fine people for going out unnecessarily but I’ve no idea whatsoever whether they are, or of the extent to which any fines that have been handed out are reasonable.

Yes sorry. But numerous jobs have gone to people working from home or people are stood down. One strange anomaly was they kept schools open. The theory being people actually still in jobs needed their kids to go to school so they could go to work. But people could withdraw their kids if they wanted to. People everywhere are generally good at social distancing even when out. But having police enforced closed downs is basicallly a yearly event for weather events like cyclones and floods up here. But usually then it is about a week at most. I acknowledge it is difficult to compare northern Australia with more densely populated parts of the world. From an outsider I think the UK left it a little late to start the stricter measures and I thought the US totally botched it.

My greatest issue is trying to envisage what happens in 3 months 6 months 12 & 24 months etc but with a number of different options such as vaccine, no vaccine, second outbreaks, mutation of the virus etc.

From what I am seeing it is not the first transmission across from animals with Ebola SARS bird flu HIV MERs etc. in Australia we had the virus from bats to horses which would kill people. Basically stopped the racing industry for some time.

I hope we can win the battle but the losses already are terrible and the mental illness effects that will follow are worrying.

Post #511522  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:08 am 

I hope Henry showered after.

Post #511523  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:43 am 

Soc I still feel that the action taken was wrong but I am not an expert and followed and will follow my elected Governments recommendations from the beginning to the end.

I have my view and always will have and will always speak up however much it is denegrated rightly or wrongly. I still watch Sweden's news for their situation and note the very low death rate, like I still wonder why Germany's figures are so low, but unlike you and others I accept that there is always a decision to be made qand it is not as clear as you seem to think that there is only one answer to every question.

Our figures are awful but we are one of the most densely populated Countries in the world are we not? Are there not more people living in London than live in than possibly the most of Sweden so does it not beg the question of shouldn't we be taking different actions from the majority of low density regions?

FFS look at what all the scientists are saying not just some of them. Hundreds wrote to the PM thousand didn't....................

Gaz the last point is also for your benefit. Aus is a different kettle of fish to the UK and should not be dealt with the same way. Leave it to the scientists, leave it to the Government and one day we may look back and say it could have been worse. Nobody knows.

However I do feel we should be slowly breaking down the lockdown procedures and getting back to normal but I do understand why the Government doesn't want to and will do as I am told. The depression that will follow this crisis will kill even more people but I thank God that we have a Government that is trying to deal with all the Countries problems and not just bleeding the rich dry like some would do. Boris is trying to help everyone but there are many many cracks which people can fall into.

I hope and pray that the vulnerable are given as much protection as possible but feel the need to get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Post #511524  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
The inevitable public enquiry that follows this (if it ever ends) will not look favorably on the Govt.

The difficulty with any public enquiry will be making the findings totally objective. That won’t be as easy or straightforward as it sounds on paper because the people involved will inevitably have their opinions shaped by their own views, beliefs, preferences and ideas.

Your probably right just look at the Trump impeachment. Too many republicans in Congress.

However history will show that In Italy over 2,000 people had died and the country was in lockdown and a state of emergency and on the same day the British government let a stereophonics concert with thousands attending take place and other ridiculous things because of a lack of measures.

History can’t Be re written on this,

Post #511525  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The difficulty with any public enquiry will be making the findings totally objective. That won’t be as easy or straightforward as it sounds on paper because the people involved will inevitably have their opinions shaped by their own views, beliefs, preferences and ideas.

Your probably right just look at the Trump impeachment. Too many republicans in Congress.

However history will show that In Italy over 2,000 people had died and the country was in lockdown and a state of emergency and on the same day the British government let a stereophonics concert with thousands attending take place and other ridiculous things because of a lack of measures.

History can’t Be re written on this,

Hi TG,

The Cheltenham festival was allowed to go ahead with huge crowds mingling and visitors jetting in and out from all over the world.

We are continually being told that we are being led by the science but surely any scientist or health advisor must have had grave concerns about letting such an even proceed unless:

a. they considered the virus to be very low risk, akin to a mild flu

b. following on from a. they considered that letting it run its course thereby creating herd immunity was the way to go.

The trouble with b. is that the theory of herd immunity has never been tested on a novel virus with no effective treatment or vaccine and even now nobody knows if those who have recovered are immune and, if they are, for how long. It was a flawed strategy from the outset, especially as it was increasingly clear that a portion of sufferers were ending up in intensive care fighting for their lives and the NHS could not cope with a mass outbreak.

Another thing is why we did not shut our borders and continued to allow flights in from Milan and places like that with no border checks at all.

Post #511526  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am 

Another thing while I am on my high horse......why are some PL players refusing to even countenance the idea of a wage cut given the economic circumstances unfolding around the world and the fact that clubs are currently getting no gate revenues. Selfish wankers.

Post #511527  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:47 am 

Post #511528  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:57 am 

:8angers:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Perez.html
'Not a chance, he's a mid-table player': Arsenal ignored advice from club's head of recruitment to AVOID signing Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez in 2016 transfer window

Post #511529  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:58 am 

socrates wrote:
Another thing while I am on my high horse......why are some PL players refusing to even countenance the idea of a wage cut given the economic circumstances unfolding around the world and the fact that clubs are currently getting no gate revenues. Selfish wankers.

You may have to bring your complaints to the WAGs. :42laughter:

Post #511530  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 am 

socrates wrote:

They need to be very careful at the moment. IM humble opinion there is a possibility that contracts could be cancelled. If you know of the term 'force majeure' in contract law it may be a possibility. Here is a good summary of the law

https://www.holdingredlich.com/force-ma ... o-know-now

Post #511531  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 am 

socrates wrote:

Arsenal players amongst them.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... newsletter

Post #511532  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:18 pm 

Oi Roger why did so many posts just vanish off the forum?

Anybody know?

Post #511533  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:22 pm 

Was it just mine?

Did 'fluck you' cause such a big offence or was it because I accused TG of being a troll?

Or was it something else?

Post #511534  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 pm 

Heartbreaking.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... m3Mhthkj1U

Jamie Brooks was two days away from becoming an Arsenal Invincible before illness struck

Post #511535  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Anybody know?

Not just your post. I just found the whole pontification and name calling about Coronavirus somewhat tedious and unedifying. Rog had edited one post. I just removed a few.

Post #511536  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Anybody know?

Not just your post. I just found the whole pontification and name calling about Coronavirus somewhat tedious and unedifying. Rog had edited one post. I just removed a few.

:58big-emoticons:

Post #511537  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:06 pm 

Talk of Kane to Man Utd. I must admit, I didn't think they would do as well while he was out and they didn't drop in form as bad as I thought they would. Son and other players stepped up.

Post #511538  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
... Why we didn't shut our borders I have no idea. It's the first thing I would have done.
For UK citizens trying to get back home from abroad?

Post #511539  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm 

socrates wrote:
Perhaps if some of the very privileged people in our country took a lead others might follow. As I said the other day let the Queen and her family, the other media and sporting elites, entertainers and the politicians set the tone. Yes the earnings of Premiership footballers are ridiculously out of kilter with the fans, and right now seem even more crackers, but I can't help feeling the players are a very easy target at the moment.

Post #511540  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:53 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
... Why we didn't shut our borders I have no idea. It's the first thing I would have done.

Quarantine? plenty of airport hotels to hold them I would have thought.

Post #511541  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:06 pm 

With so many sporting events cancelled they're having to televise the World Origami Championship.
It's on Paperview.

Post #511542  Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:43 pm 

warrior wrote:
With so many sporting events cancelled they're having to televise the World Origami Championship.
It's on Paperview.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #511543  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:55 am 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arse ... e598b9d7ea

Our club (like many others) will emerge much weaker.

Post #511544  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:08 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
A couple of weeks ago Raab advised there were somewhere between 400k-1 million Brits abroad. Not all of them will want to return but I wonder at what number it would become an impossible logistical challenge to enforce quarantine? Another tough decision for a government to make.

Post #511545  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
Perhaps if some of the very privileged people in our country took a lead others might follow. As I said the other day let the Queen and her family, the other media and sporting elites, entertainers and the politicians set the tone. Yes the earnings of Premiership footballers are ridiculously out of kilter with the fans, and right now seem even more crackers, but I can't help feeling the players are a very easy target at the moment.

Hi OMG,

Amongst the selfless heroes and true diamonds we have seen during this crisis there have been many selfish wankers (not just footballers) who have shown their true colours, including the likes of Branson.

Are you telling me that Arsenal players could not take a 12.5% pay-cut when most of the rest of the country are actually worried about having a job to go back to. I didn't even think they would need asking given what it would actually mean to them in terms of lifestyle (nothing). Maybe they wouldn't be able to afford all the optional extras on the Ferrari they buy this month.

The reaction of PL footballers and clubs is probably the final straw for me. I knew football was in danger of eating itself but I think it is close to happening now.

Post #511546  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 am 

warrior wrote:
Test message ...

So are u an alien. Don’t come anywhere near this planet. It is in big trouble.

Post #511547  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am 

long time gooner wrote:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arsenal-stars-reject-12-5-pay-cut-deal-2p2b7kffm?shareToken=8aa2293c26c834abaf9f10e598b9d7ea

Our esteemed Owner will certainly be feeling the pinch. A very large part of the Kroenke empire is vested in professional sport - LA Rams, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and The Arsenal - all with very highly paid stars and all currently sitting at home draining the KSE coffers while earning precisely nothing.

The other major element in the KSE portfolio is property - he owns stadia, theatres, sports centres, theme parks and malls all over America (and North London) - all currently mothballed, empty, soaking up maintenance resources and racking up interest charges.

Kroenke is bleeding. I wonder if he might feel tempted to offload one of his off-shore assets?

We can only hope.

Post #511548  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:46 am 

If clubs are having to let non-playing staff go then how can they possibly spend money in the next transfer window, or is some money going to miraculously appear, as if from nowhere, when a player become available?

Post #511549  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 am 

socrates wrote:
If clubs are having to let non-playing staff go then how can they possibly spend money in the next transfer window, or is some money going to miraculously appear, as if from nowhere, when a player become available?

That’s the problem it’s a chicken and egg thing. You can’t maintain your ability to pay the non playing staff if what’s happening on the pitch is going to *%^@.

The players should have just accepted the offer. 12.5% for 1 season, just peanuts to them. Barca did 20?

Someone posted on twitter that none of the current staff can ever be considered legends now because of what they have done. As Gaz quite rightly posted the other day the players may have written themselves into a corner if they have Force majeure in their contracts as that would allow arsenal to use unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.

Although how you could apply this I don’t know. It would be very difficult to say ok Mustafi, Xhaka and Özil your off first we will keep Aubameyang and Martinelli cheers ,
!

Post #511550  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arsenal-stars-reject-12-5-pay-cut-deal-2p2b7kffm?shareToken=8aa2293c26c834abaf9f10e598b9d7ea

Our esteemed Owner will certainly be feeling the pinch. A very large part of the Kroenke empire is vested in professional sport - LA Rams, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and The Arsenal - all with very highly paid stars and all currently sitting at home draining the KSE coffers while earning precisely nothing.

The other major element in the KSE portfolio is property - he owns stadia, theatres, sports centres, theme parks and malls all over America (and North London) - all currently mothballed, empty, soaking up maintenance resources and racking up interest charges.

Kroenke is bleeding. I wonder if he might feel tempted to offload one of his off-shore assets?

We can only hope.

Indeed. Just a dream though, I fear.
On the wages, the players absolutely should be helping the less fortunate, many of them are. But I wouldn't be very keen to take a pay cut to help out a multi billionaire club owner, who is quite happy to rake it in under normal circumstances, and is hardly going to be heading for the food bank however much his businesses are suffering now.

Post #511551  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:07 am 

socrates wrote:

I think all the Prem clubs are desperate to avoid paying back the TV money. They'll swallow the refund on Season Ticket money, largely I'd guess by discounting next season's renewal cost so that there's no immediate cash drain on the club's coffers. But if SKY & BT slap them with a reimbursement demand for non-delivery of pre-paid TV matches, that could cause mass panic.

Post #511552  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:19 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

We can only hope.

Indeed. Just a dream though, I fear.
On the wages, the players absolutely should be helping the less fortunate, many of them are. But I wouldn't be very keen to take a pay cut to help out a multi billionaire club owner, who is quite happy to rake it in under normal circumstances, and is hardly going to be heading for the food bank however much his businesses are suffering now.

This is a valid point. The CEO of my company donated 1 years salary to a fund to provide financial support for his business partners and non contracted employees during this crisis.

What has Kroenke done ? Probably little. Disgusting filthy maggot

Post #511553  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am 

That’s said your only asking Özil to survive off 284k a week rather than 325k or whatever !!!

This is the problem with Covid. It exposes people’s morality compass all over the place.

Post #511554  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
A couple of weeks ago Raab advised there were somewhere between 400k-1 million Brits abroad. Not all of them will want to return but I wonder at what number it would become an impossible logistical challenge to enforce quarantine? Another tough decision for a government to make.

Phased repatriation, hold them for 7 days and then test them, if all clear send them home with instructions to self isolate for a further 7 to 10 days.

Difficult, but not impossible, we’re all making it up as we go along.

Post #511555  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:32 am 

If Sky and BT do go after the clubs they should do what they do, don’t answer the phone or return the call.

Post #511556  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
That’s said your only asking Özil to survive off 284k a week rather than 325k or whatever !!!

This is the problem with Covid. It exposes people’s morality compass all over the place.

Yes, this is quite true. If any single individual 'ordinary' employee of Arsenal has to lose wages in any way, lose their job or rely on taxpayers money it will be an eternal disgrace.

Post #511557  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:40 am 

DHD wrote:
socrates wrote:

Good point. Hadn't thought about the TV money having to be paid back possibly.

I think all the Prem clubs are desperate to avoid paying back the TV money. They'll swallow the refund on Season Ticket money, largely I'd guess by discounting next season's renewal cost so that there's no immediate cash drain on the club's coffers. But if SKY & BT slap them with a reimbursement demand for non-delivery of pre-paid TV matches, that could cause mass panic.

Post #511558  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 am 

There is an outfit in south Philadelphia, whose last names end in vowels, play bocce ball and have loads of experience in contract negotiation who the clubs can bring in to deal with Sky.

Post #511559  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 am 

Post #511560  Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
There is an outfit in south Philadelphia, whose last names end in vowels, play bocce ball and have loads of experience in contract negotiation who the clubs can bring in to deal with Sky.

God only knows what you're on about.

[ 571782 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12786, 12787, 12788, 12789, 12790, 12791, 12792 ... 14295  Next