Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 88 guests

Post #514721  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Back in the 80s I helped out in the Miners Strike and was given a Coal Not Dole tee shirt by one of the mining families from Kent. In those days I was a guy who had to run around in a shower to get wet - a sort of shorter version of Peter Crouch. The shirt fitted well and I was proud to wear it. A couple of years ago I attempted to try it on for old times sake. Sadly I looked like I was gas mark ten pregnant.

It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Maybe it was the 15 donuts you eat at the end of every run, Haz.

Post #514722  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:24 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Well I had to reward myself for running, right?

Post #514723  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

I'm torn on Maitland-Niles. On the one hand I'd really want him to stay, he's a good young player who is versatile, and obviously being an academy player is a plus. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have a preferred position and while he has excellent physical qualities I'm not sure he's skillful enough on the ball to play full back or wing back consistently. With his pedigree hes probably worth about 20-25 million too, and he's 23 soon so certainly not a kid anymore.

Post #514724  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Well I had to reward myself for running, right?

Absolutely.

Post #514725  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I'm torn on Maitland-Niles. On the one hand I'd really want him to stay, he's a good young player who is versatile, and obviously being an academy player is a plus. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have a preferred position and while he has excellent physical qualities I'm not sure he's skillful enough on the ball to play full back or wing back consistently. With his pedigree hes probably worth about 20-25 million too, and he's 23 soon so certainly not a kid anymore.

In terms of his ability as a fullback/wingback I like his pace, going forward and recovering. Obviously he's not a natural defender but then neither is Bellerin.

Post #514726  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

In terms of his ability as a fullback/wingback I like his pace, going forward and recovering. Obviously he's not a natural defender but then neither is Bellerin.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't argue much with anyone wanting him to stay. He was excellent against Chelsea in the final, and his pace and work rate seems made for the way Arteta wants to play.

Anyway, speaking of departures, some apparently reliable sources in Italy are saying Fiorentina are close to signing Torreira.

Post #514727  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't argue much with anyone wanting him to stay. He was excellent against Chelsea in the final, and his pace and work rate seems made for the way Arteta wants to play.

Anyway, speaking of departures, some apparently reliable sources in Italy are saying Fiorentina are close to signing Torreira.

I could definitely see that one happening, although could Fiorentina afford a decent transfer fee for him?

Post #514728  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

In the current climate I can't see anyone (like Brighton) paying £20m+ for him as a RB unless they see him as a central midfielder to build a team around and I don't think they could possibly gamble on that given the limited opportunities he had in midfield.

I don't want him sold off cheaply.

Post #514729  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

In the current climate I can't see anyone (like Brighton) paying £20m+ for him as a RB unless they see him as a central midfielder to build a team around and I don't think they could possibly gamble on that given the limited opportunities he had in midfield.

I don't want him sold off cheaply.

I think the Mail have said we are asking 30.

Post #514730  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 am 

Hazuki wrote:
After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

'Fattening the curves' are you ? That's like when I get on the scale, it has a message that says "One at a time"

Post #514731  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:31 am 

:icon_eek1:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/06/poli ... index.html

Post #514732  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 am 

Haven't seen much of Mari in an Arsenal shirt to say one way or another but this is why we got him.

Post #514733  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:38 am 

I'm also looking caustiously at Soares. Why was he placed on loan by Soton? Twice? We being the second club. Soton is a good club, tough at home but why couldn't he secure a starting position? Hmm...

Post #514734  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:04 am 

I appreciate Emery wanting to take Guendouzi off our hands, but if we can have as part of a deal to sweeten us getting Partey, I'd do that. If we get Partey, we won't win the title but we'll be very tough to beat. I'd take Partey right now over Coutinho. Not because he's better in terms of his position compared to Coutinho but we need his position more. We can get by in creativity with Ceballos and if he stays Özil. We have other creative players, but if we can get a quick, athletic DM, in front of Saliba and whomever, we can hold on to leads better.

We have limited funds. We always seem to chase creative/attacking players at the expense of defense. We have been suffering at the back for ages. The one time we spent (he who shall not be named) we effed it up royally. Who ever scouted him needs to be taken out behind the back of big Tone's statue and shot.

In a perfect transfer world, I'd love to have Partey, Coutinho, Willian and Aubameyang staying but its not going to happen. Dein, via Fiszman, has left us with Kroenke. I said it then and its still the same. Any trophies we win with him as owner is, in spite of, not because of, him being our owner. Arteta and the ones that care have to play Bob Cratchit to Stan's Scrooge.

We are sorted at the full back positions. Although he's been getting it on here, I actually like Kolasinac. He's a decent back up. He's tough, experienced and decent going forward. He's not going to replace Winterburn in the memories of gooners of great Arsenal left backs but he's decent enough against most competition.

Tierney and Bellerin are a great pair of fullbacks even though the latter seems to have lost a yard of pace.

Post #514735  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 am 

...on a non football note, I was surprised I didn't see any mention of the passing of John Hume on here and assumed it was a sensitive topic. Or perhaps people were just too occupied.

Post #514736  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

You are wrong on this one TG.

The amount being saved here on salaries is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the money being squandered on agents fees, greasing the palms of intermediaries etc.

Saving around £2-3m on wages is loose change to a man of Kroenke's wealth and it is all very well saying that they will get redundancy payments but where do they get another job in the current environment.

The Krankies could have of at least waited until the dust settled a bit on the Covid thing. In a year's time things could look a whole lot different.

The gloss has been taken off the elation of a cup final win by ill-timed redundancies that reflect badly on the club.

It's morally indefensible and the timing stinks.

You can say Kroenke should have paid their salaries but he doesn’t put money into the club.

You can say Mesut Özil should pay it, but he’s contractually bound and already refused a pay cut.

You’ve already given the players a pay cut they agree to so therefore what are Arsenal supposed to do?

Oh step back investing in the team and don’t acquire new players or pay agents. Well that will definitely mean these people won’t have jobs in future.

This is happening up and down the country, what makes football think of itself any differently.

Hi TG,

Most businesses are not owned by a billionaire whose fortune has risen by over £300m during the pandemic.

He could absorb the costs of keeping those staff in jobs without even blinking and think of the goodwill it would have generated.

Post #514737  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 am 

Reading more reports that the £100k a Week wages for Willian are correct, but that he also gets a £10m signing on fee. So more like £160k a week for 3 years on a free transfer. Also has incentives/bonus related elements.

I’d much prefer us to move towards smaller basic wage topped up with bigger bonuses. It makes sense. Win things and you get paid more

Post #514738  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 am 

If the rumours that Aubameyang has agreed a new deal with us are true then it’s great news. It also made me think back to how, certainly one my time supporting Arsenal, that we’ve had some unbelievable strikers/goal scorers pretty consistently for 30 years.
Wright (who was a God to a 10 year old me), Anelka, Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aubameyang
Adebayor and Anelka weren’t as consistent or stay as long as some others but these were 25 a season strikers. When you look at what other top teams have had over that 30 year period we’ve been pretty lucky.

Post #514739  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:13 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can say Kroenke should have paid their salaries but he doesn’t put money into the club.

You can say Mesut Özil should pay it, but he’s contractually bound and already refused a pay cut.

You’ve already given the players a pay cut they agree to so therefore what are Arsenal supposed to do?

Oh step back investing in the team and don’t acquire new players or pay agents. Well that will definitely mean these people won’t have jobs in future.

This is happening up and down the country, what makes football think of itself any differently.

Hi TG,

Most businesses are not owned by a billionaire whose fortune has risen by over £300m during the pandemic.

He could absorb the costs of keeping those staff in jobs without even blinking and think of the goodwill it would have generated.

But the jobs don’t exist anymore that’s the entire point. If you come in to work and there’s no work to perform you’d expect to be out of work at some point

Surely it makes more sense to offer them a generous redundancy payment in a golden handshake then everyone moves on. A redundancy payment can be 5-9 months salary anyway. I bet that head scout is on a massive golden handshake.

Arsenal are one of the only clubs to have paid all their staff 100% of their salaries through out the whole crisis and not used any Government scheme or support to do so. Yet now they are getting battered by the fake twitter outrage mob

Post #514740  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:25 am 

Rich wrote:
If the rumours that Aubameyang has agreed a new deal with us are true then it’s great news. It also made me think back to how, certainly one my time supporting Arsenal, that we’ve had some unbelievable strikers/goal scorers pretty consistently for 30 years.
Wright (who was a God to a 10 year old me), Anelka, Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aubameyang
Adebayor and Anelka weren’t as consistent or stay as long as some others but these were 25 a season strikers. When you look at what other top teams have had over that 30 year period we’ve been pretty lucky.

I can still recall the excitement at signing SuperMac.

Post #514741  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
But the jobs don’t exist anymore that’s the entire point. If you come in to work and there’s no work to perform you’d expect to be out of work at some point

Surely it makes more sense to offer them a generous redundancy payment in a golden handshake then everyone moves on. A redundancy payment can be 5-9 months salary anyway. I bet that head scout is on a massive golden handshake.

Arsenal are one of the only clubs to have paid all their staff 100% of their salaries through out the whole crisis and not used any Government scheme or support to do so. Yet now they are getting battered by the fake twitter outrage mob

Kind of makes sense. But our scouting positions? Those jobs don’t exist any more?

Post #514742  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Kind of makes sense. But our scouting positions? Those jobs don’t exist any more?

It was always likely to get streamlined remember what Mslintat said.

https://shewore.com/2020/08/07/sven-mis ... unctional/

Post #514743  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

A little known fact is that most of our academy coaches are employed as "casual staff" so only usually get paid when the actually coach; during the lock down the club paid them based on average hours they had worked during the current season;
a very generous gesture from the club.

Post #514744  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:44 am 

Had RvP been healthier, god only knows what he would have done. Eduardo's situation was tragic. I think he would have been one of those players who would have made goal of the season quality scoring for us. Another player who would have been consistently productive and been a bit of a 'Robbie Fowler' for us is Podolski. And possibly the biggest what if may be Gnabry.

Post #514745  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Scouting at the senior level has change beyond recognition in the last couple of years.
Players are identified by local contacts and the recruitment can be done via statistical analysis and video scouting.

We have signed 3 players into the academy (18-23) during lockdown that can't have been watched in person.

I know Francis and have immense respect for him, but he had very little involvement in the Martinelli deal at all from my understanding; He was actually "given" to our scout in Brazil by Manures local contact after they didn't follow up on their interest; Edu was the one who got it over the line - mainly because he was still in Brazil when this was all unfolding.

Post #514746  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am 

...and so many other mysteries when it comes to Arsenal strikers where we don't know the real story of why they didn't make it. Joel Campbell, Park Chu Young, Carlos Vela, Ryo, Wellington, Asano.

Post #514747  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...and so many other mysteries when it comes to Arsenal strikers where we don't know the real story of why they didn't make it. Joel Campbell, Park Chu Young, Carlos Vela, Ryo, Wellington, Asano.

Don't think there's much of a mystery with these players, they simply didn't have what it takes at this level as evidenced by their post-Arsenal careers. The only one out of those who has done anything of note after Arsenal is Vela.

Post #514748  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:32 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A little known fact is that most of our academy coaches are employed as "casual staff" so only usually get paid when the actually coach; during the lock down the club paid them based on average hours they had worked during the current season;
a very generous gesture from the club.

That’s a touch of class from Arsenal. Paying valued staff for work they didn’t perform.

Post #514749  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:26 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Scouting at the senior level has change beyond recognition in the last couple of years.
Players are identified by local contacts and the recruitment can be done via statistical analysis and video scouting.

We have signed 3 players into the academy (18-23) during lockdown that can't have been watched in person.

I know Francis and have immense respect for him, but he had very little involvement in the Martinelli deal at all from my understanding; He was actually "given" to our scout in Brazil by Manures local contact after they didn't follow up on their interest; Edu was the one who got it over the line - mainly because he was still in Brazil when this was all unfolding.

Thanks for that An interesting perspective.

Post #514750  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm 

Arsenal's shadow recruiter.

Attachments:

Post #514751  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:11 pm 

Zed wrote:

There’s no doubt his influence is etched all over Arsenal right now

All the players we are signing or being linked with are his clients. Even the Lisbon player Joelson we are supposed to be interested in is repped by him.

Just looked at his companies filing at companies house. His revenue was 14.5 million last year. Not bad for essentially doing *%^@ all.

Post #514752  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

All the players we are signing or being linked with are his clients. Even the Lisbon player Joelson we are supposed to be interested in is repped by him.

Just looked at his companies filing at companies house. His revenue was 14.5 million last year. Not bad for essentially doing *%^@ all.

That’s not fair, I’ve seen him working hard watching football games in all expenses paid executive boxes the length and breadth of Europe! Did you know he started life as a car salesman? Why am I not surprised

Post #514753  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That’s not fair, I’ve seen him working hard watching football games in all expenses paid executive boxes the length and breadth of Europe! Did you know he started life as a car salesman? Why am I not surprised

Kia's uncle and father were both quite succesful in car sales. Father's uncle at one time, ran the biggest car manufacturer in the Middle East. Father had a car dealership called Medway Autos in Kent.
Kia has had a long standing friendship with super agent Pini Zahavi, (remember him?). Zahavi was responsible for acquisition of Chelsea by Abromovich, acted as broker for MSI (Joorabchian).
Fascinating stuff.

Post #514754  Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

We should have a buy back clause... same with Guendouzi. I think both, especially Guendouzi, will be top players when they reach their mid-20s. Pity he can't set his differences with Arteta aside.

Post #514755  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:33 am 

We haven’t missed Guendouzi one iota since he’s been taken out the fold. Not sure why would contemplate re signing him. Arteta sounds like he can’t wait to see the back of him.

Post #514756  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 am 

I'd personally like to keep AMN for a few reasons. Among which is that he's a good player. Not great. He won't be a great player probably but a good, decent squaddie. He came up through the academy at a very young age and its a good advertisement for the whole Arsenal system to see a player go from academy to first team. He's also flexible and can play multiple positions. With money tight, we need a versatile player.

If he is okay with not being a guaranteed starter and only an occasional starter but a place on the subs bench, then fine. He can have a decent Arsenal career.

If we have no choice (sell before we can buy for example) then so be it, but if its at all possible, I'd like to keep him.

Post #514757  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:12 am 

Not sure I’d sell Maitland Niles either. To sell him and keep Kolasinac seems a bit crazy.

That said we’re apparently trying to sell 6 players from our squad to balance the books. Has to come from somewhere and nobody will come in for some of our duff players

Post #514758  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:20 am 

With the exception of Partey, it seems more pure speculation than anything else.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-18723771

Post #514759  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Not sure I’d sell Maitland Niles either. To sell him and keep Kolasinac seems a bit crazy.

That said we’re apparently trying to sell 6 players from our squad to balance the books. Has to come from somewhere and nobody will come in for some of our duff players

Hi TG,

It seems like a lot of the potential suitors want loans with options to buy, which given the prevailing economic uncertainties is perfectly understandable, we would want the same. Unfortunately, unless its with an obligation to buy it does us few favours other than a small loan fee and taking the wages off our hands for a season. If we want to raise £100m for a splurge in the market we need sales not loans.

Post #514760  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Kola should definitely go before AMN, you might even argue that Bellerin should to.

It really depends if Arteta can persuade AMN to see his future as a RB/RWB. I think he has the tools for that role but may not have the mindset to want to play there for the rest of his career.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12866, 12867, 12868, 12869, 12870, 12871, 12872 ... 14269  Next