Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 201 guests

Post #510481  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
The last 6 times we’ve visited City the aggregate score is 17-2! City's opening goals in these 6 games have come in the 19th, 18th, 15th, 14th, first and second minutes.

There are only 2 games a season where I fully expect to lose, Anfield and The Etihad. That’s before a ball is kicked and irrespective of form. There are other games in the season where I get a bad feeling or wouldn’t be surprised at a defeat but these two away trips we never even seem to put up a fight. Time for that to change

Hi Rich,

I'm not even counting this as a game in hand. I don't think we are good enough to get anything, our midfield is weak and will get overrun and our defence is simply not built to cope against really good teams.

The only way I see us getting something is if we score a couple of worldies and City have a really off day. Otherwise I see us with little possession and chasing shadows for most of the game. Damage limitation really.

Sadly I agree. It annoys me that so many teams have got wins away to big 6 sides but we haven’t had one for about 4/5 years. I think those big 6 sides are definitely more concentrated against us but I also think there is a mental block for us.
I don’t think we can concentrate for 90 minutes to execute to all our defence. But as long as we go there with the right mindset we do have players who can hurt their defence on the counter and in 1v1 situations

Post #510482  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Zed wrote:
Awe thanks Bernard. I do what I can.

:laughing7: of course Zed you do realise Bernard bestowed upon you this mantle of greatness ; as part of the plan to ward off attacks from the evil duo of Socrates / Top Gun and also the odd broadside from Dec .

:angel8:

Post #510483  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Recently on here there was a certain person that indicated that they were glad
Burnley were one nil down to Spurs at the half. It was the opposite until Spurs got level with a penalty second half.
Hmmm maybe AG. :26surprise:

You’ll get yourself blocked at this rate. Welcome to the club.

Well ..no he didn't. Gave me a decent reply.

Post #510484  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I'm not even counting this as a game in hand. I don't think we are good enough to get anything, our midfield is weak and will get overrun and our defence is simply not built to cope against really good teams.

The only way I see us getting something is if we score a couple of worldies and City have a really off day. Otherwise I see us with little possession and chasing shadows for most of the game. Damage limitation really.

Sadly I agree. It annoys me that so many teams have got wins away to big 6 sides but we haven’t had one for about 4/5 years. I think those big 6 sides are definitely more concentrated against us but I also think there is a mental block for us.
I don’t think we can concentrate for 90 minutes to execute to all our defence. But as long as we go there with the right mindset we do have players who can hurt their defence on the counter and in 1v1 situations

Just checked. The last time we won away against MC was Jan 2015. May 2016 we drew against them away and ever since lost all 3 away matches against them (had lost the last 4 home matches against them as well). Let's hope Arteta and the boys can come up with some magic...

Post #510485  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:25 pm 

This summer we really need to find a way to shift on some high earners. Özil (£350k), Mkhitaryan (£200k), Lacazette (£180k), Xhaka (£100k) Sokratis (£90k) Elneny (£70k) is £52m off the season wage bill!
I see prices of £40m for 16 year old Bellingham from B'ham, £70m for Grealish and Maddison. I just don't think we can be shopping in that market at all. Pépé may turn out to be brilliant but £70m for us is a huge risk. We need to move back in to the £20-£30m market and realise our current standing which means selling well and possibly our better players and buying smartly on potential with resale value.

I'm not certain we can afford Aubamayang's new contract but I also can't see how we do anything without him. Not a nice choice for Arsenal to have to make. At least in comparison to the £350k/week Arsenal gave Özil, Aubamayang is still operating as the best striker in the league and would be worth the deal, I'm just not sure a team (possibly) without European football and with the need to tighten the finances can afford him.

Aubamayang deal, 3 years at £300k per week = £47m, plus lets call it zero resale, but 3 more years of the league's top striker.
vs
Sell Aubamayang now for £70m, shift the £200k per week (£10m) of his last year.

So crudely this is a swing of £127m decision for Arsenal to make on 1 player (granted that any replacement has a fee and wages)

Post #510486  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 pm 

Rich wrote:

Aubamayang deal, 3 years at £300k per week = £47m, plus lets call it zero resale, but 3 more years of the league's top striker.
vs
Sell Aubamayang now for £70m, shift the £200k per week (£10m) of his last year.

So crudely this is a swing of £127m decision for Arsenal to make on 1 player (granted that any replacement has a fee and wages)

Likely no replacement for Aubameyang if he's sold. The club will rely on Lacazette, Nketiah, Martinelli, Pépé, Nelson and Saka to rotate the front three positions. We would only get a new striker if Lacazette is sold as well - to pacify the fans.

Post #510487  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:42 pm 

We won’t sell Aubamayang and not sign a replacement.

No way considering what he brings the team, who would come in I don’t know though

Post #510488  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:50 pm 

If we sell Aubameyang it shoukd be to finance a great defense. I'd like that money earmarked only for either a central defender or defensive center midfielder.

Post #510489  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If we sell Aubameyang it shoukd be to finance a great defense. I'd like that money earmarked only for either a central defender or defensive center midfielder.

Saliva to come in, Mari signed. That's our lot.

Post #510490  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:24 pm 

Spurs 2 down in 20 minutes. No trophy for Maureen.
:58big-emoticons:

Post #510491  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Saliva to come in...

Is this a reference to the fact this team needs the kiss of life? Fair assessment :laughing7:

Post #510492  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:37 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Leipzig look lethal at home. Lloris doing a passable impression of an over the hill once great GK has helped.

Post #510493  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pm 

Ash wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Leipzig look lethal at home. Lloris doing a passable impression of an over the hill once great GK has helped.

Yes, didn't exactly distinguish himself with either goal.

Post #510494  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 pm 

Spurs are lucky Mourinho was able to prioritise the Leipzig game otherwise they might have got a flogging. May he stay with them 3 years. Should totally wreck them in that time. Yesterday’s man.

Post #510495  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:09 pm 

Happened to catch a few Atlanta games this season. I think we should pencil the manager in as a potential future manager at our club. I like their style of play and organisation

Post #510496  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
We won’t sell Aubamayang and not sign a replacement.

No way considering what he brings the team, who would come in I don’t know though

Anything negative with regards departing players not being replaced is possible under the Kroenke ownership regime.

Post #510497  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:23 am 

I think Spurs should change their theme tune to yesterday. A yesterdays man manager and a yesterday team past their best.

Post #510498  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:27 am 

City game has been postponed.

And so it begins.....

Post #510499  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 am 

Evening,
Tonight's match at City has been postponed.

Post #510500  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:35 am 

From Arse.com:

“We identified that a number of players met the Olympiacos owner immediately following the game.

The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low. However, we are strictly following the Government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact. …

The players will remain at their homes until the 14-day period expires. Four Arsenal staff, who were sitting close to Mr Marinakis during the match will also remain at home until the 14 days are complete.”

Owner bloke has tested positive. The ‘contact’ was 13 days ago so as of this Thursday, it’s business as usual.

All sounds a bit daft - and slightly whiffy.

Post #510501  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:00 am 

DHD wrote:
From Arse.com:

“We identified that a number of players met the Olympiacos owner immediately following the game.

The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low. However, we are strictly following the Government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact. …

The players will remain at their homes until the 14-day period expires. Four Arsenal staff, who were sitting close to Mr Marinakis during the match will also remain at home until the 14 days are complete.”

Owner bloke has tested positive. The ‘contact’ was 13 days ago so as of this Thursday, it’s business as usual.

All sounds a bit daft - and slightly whiffy.

You start enforcing restrictions at a high level and then people on the ground cannot whinge. I recommend that the EPL be withheld this year.

Post #510502  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 am 

Reports the UK health Minster has it. Italy going on the banned list in Australia.

Post #510503  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 am 

Our FA Cup game away at Sheffield also falls within the 14 day period. So I guess that may be postponed as well. Even if it all works out well from a health standpoint I can’t imagine that this is great preparation for the remainder of the season (assuming that there is one).

EDIT Of course Saturday’s game at Brighton is within the period. According to the AFC website that is going ahead. But surely the player availability for that is the same as for tonight’s game?

Post #510504  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Our FA Cup game away at Sheffield also falls within the 14 day period. So I guess that may be postponed as well. Even if it all works out well from a health standpoint I can’t imagine that this is great preparation for the remainder of the season (assuming that there is one).

We played Olympiacos on 27th February. Our cup tie at Sheffield United is 22nd March. With the leap year meaning February had 29 days, it’s 24 days after. Hence 10 days after the 14 days. Moreover this weekend’s game at Brighton (14th March) is also more than 14 days after the Olympiacos match.

Post #510505  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 am 

long time gooner wrote:

They may count the days since the contact as already served.

Post #510506  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:29 am 

Reports saying Maitland-Niles has been late to training several times, and isn't impressing Arteta with his lack of professionalism. Evidently he has been dropped from the squad- unless something changes pretty quickly it looks like he will be on his way out.

Post #510507  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

We played Olympiacos on 27th February. Our cup tie at Sheffield United in 22nd March. With the leap year meaning February had 29 days, it’s 24 days after. Hence 10 days after the 14 days. Moreover this weekend’s game at Brighton is also more than 14 days after the Olympiacos match.

So if the players are having to self isolate I assume training is cancelled? Not great preparation for the weekend, assuming that game gets the go ahead.

What about West Ham players who came in to contact with Arsenal players? Are you considered at risk if you come in to contact with someone who has come in to contact with someone with coronavirus even if you haven’t had direct contact with the carrier?

Post #510508  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

They may count the days since the contact as already served.

I had wondered that, but it doesn’t explain why the club’s website says that the players and staff are returning on Friday in advance of the Brighton game. Makes no sense. Seems like an odd 14 day period.

Post #510509  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Reports saying Maitland-Niles has been late to training several times, and isn't impressing Arteta with his lack of professionalism. Evidently he has been dropped from the squad- unless something changes pretty quickly it looks like he will be on his way out.

I think the hard line on things like this is absolutely right. Everything the players do must have a standard and any slips from that need calling out. Give him plenty of chances to rectify but if he can’t then he should be moved on.

Post #510510  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

We played Olympiacos on 27th February. Our cup tie at Sheffield United is 22nd March. With the leap year meaning February had 29 days, it’s 24 days after. Hence 10 days after the 14 days. Moreover this weekend’s game at Brighton (14th March) is also more than 14 days after the Olympiacos match.

That would all be true IF the players had self isolated immediately after the game. But we have played two games since, and the Man City match is a surprise postponement. There’s no way that the affected people have had a 14 day period of self isolation.

Post #510511  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am 

So it looks like they are saying that if the symptoms haven’t shown within 14 days of contact then you are clear but it’s best to avoid people in that period in case you do eventually display the signs and any contacts will be at risk.

So the impact on our playing squad and staff could be zero (petering out on Friday) or massive.

Post #510512  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:03 am 

long time gooner wrote:
So it looks like they are saying that if the symptoms haven’t shown within 14 days of contact then you are clear but it’s best to avoid people in that period in case you do eventually display the signs and any contacts will be at risk.

So the impact on our playing squad and staff could be zero (petering out on Friday) or massive.

The only question I have is each player been tested? Many people show few symptoms but can have it already.

I know one thing, any virus at our club is a lot less dangerous than the Mourinho virus eating away at the heart of Spurs.

Post #510513  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The only question I have is each player been tested? Many people show few symptoms but can have it already.

I know one thing, any virus at our club is a lot less dangerous than the Mourinho virus eating away at the heart of Spurs.

I’m becoming confused about this. If someone is tested and shown to be clear do they still need a 14 day self isolation period?

Post #510514  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:11 am 

Enjoyed watching Leipzig again last night. I really like their young coach Nagelsmann - definitely destined for a bigger stage. Leipzig could have a number of their players pinched this summer. Whoever gets Werner is getting a great player, scores goals for fun, exceptionally fast, makes runs all day and never gives the defence a moments peace. He should be worth £75m but his buy-out clause is about half that.

Post #510515  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I think the hard line on things like this is absolutely right. Everything the players do must have a standard and any slips from that need calling out. Give him plenty of chances to rectify but if he can’t then he should be moved on.

Agreed - not sure about 'plenty' of chances though. How many chances would you or I get if we were turning up late for work and displaying an unprofessional attitude?

Post #510516  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Enjoyed watching Leipzig again last night. I really like their young coach Nagelsmann - definitely destined for a bigger stage. Leipzig could have a number of their players pinched this summer. Whoever gets Werner is getting a great player, scores goals for fun, exceptionally fast, makes runs all day and never gives the defence a moments peace. He should be worth £75m but his buy-out clause is about half that.

Hi Rich,

I thought I read a while ago that Liverpool were lining Werner him up.

Upamecano will be a great buy for someone, probably Bayern. Sadly, I think any chance we had for him was last summer.

Post #510517  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 am 

Rich wrote:

Leipzig looked very good didn't they. This is what I'd like to see us develop at Arsenal, a strong group of talented young players performing with confidence and discipline.

Post #510518  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’m becoming confused about this. If someone is tested and shown to be clear do they still need a 14 day self isolation period?

If tested I think the 14 days does it. But this requires them to test them even if displaying no symptoms. This story highlights some of the problems

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/ ... s/12026902

As he said he was as fit as Mallee bull but he actually had it. And of course it looks like it re-occurred on her. few other reports of people getting it twice which the experts have said was not likely. I think we are in a whole new area of virus.

Post #510519  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Leipzig looked very good didn't they. This is what I'd like to see us develop at Arsenal, a strong group of talented young players performing with confidence and discipline.

Bayern have had a fairly poor season by their standards, even causing them to sack their manager. However, Leipzig are only third in the Bundesliga, one point behind second placed Dortmund and five points behind Bayern who are top. As people know I watch Bayern Munich at every opportunity I get and I’ve long thought the Bundesliga isn’t as weak a league as some have claimed. It’s just Bayern are very, very good so win it consistently.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bundesl ... e&ie=UTF-8

Post #510520  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm 

With this Corona virus happening, I see the cruise lines are offering steep discounts.
I'm trying to convince the missus to go on a 7 day cruise.

We'd only be gone for a month.

[ 571660 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12760, 12761, 12762, 12763, 12764, 12765, 12766 ... 14292  Next