Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, gooner7, warrior and 134 guests

Post #519601  Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:
Flippin eck - Pépé tracking back and executing a great tackle!

It’ll be ironic, and good news, if the sending off at Leeds becomes the making of him.

Like rain on your wedding day? Or a free ride when you've already paid?

Post #519602  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Ah. Miss by Mustafi. Laid on a plate for him by Pépé.

My gf has banned me from complaining about him.

Post #519603  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 am 

At the risk of dampening the festive mood, the announcer said Rapid made 'several changes'. I am going to interpret that to mean not their best XI. So, I am putting this win in its proper context. Great mentally. Any win builds confidence. But I am not going to say 'we're back".

It was very important for Lacazette to score. I would have liked Pépé to score but Pépé giving assists is more important. He needs more team oriented play.

Post #519604  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:02 am 

There was a nice post match review showing just what drive and energy and impetus AMN had provided from central midfield. Just what we are looking for in the Premier League then.

Post #519605  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:01 am 

AMN interview last night, he was asked what he gave that central midfield role. He said he gave it some 'legs', more dynamic and an ability to get up and down the pitch'

He's spot on. For the time being ignore any thoughts on technique, passing etc just think about this mobility, speed and dynamic movement in the middle of the pitch. It was weak opposition granted, but it is what we're crying out for.

Post #519606  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:01 am 

long time gooner wrote:
There was a nice post match review showing just what drive and energy and impetus AMN had provided from central midfield. Just what we are looking for in the Premier League then.

You beat me to it

Post #519607  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:14 am 

Rich wrote:
AMN interview last night, he was asked what he gave that central midfield role. He said he gave it some 'legs', more dynamic and an ability to get up and down the pitch'

He's spot on. For the time being ignore any thoughts on technique, passing etc just think about this mobility, speed and dynamic movement in the middle of the pitch. It was weak opposition granted, but it is what we're crying out for.

Watch the footage of the goal from Smith Rowe again.

AMN runs at full pace 40 yards as fast as he can to get in an attacking position to square the ball for the goal.

I find it illogical he isn’t being picked in midfield and incomprehensible we would consider selling him. He’s a very good player who seems to understand how to play progressive football.

Post #519608  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Watch the footage of the goal from Smith Rowe again.

AMN runs at full pace 40 yards as fast as he can to get in an attacking position to square the ball for the goal.

I find it illogical he isn’t being picked in midfield and incomprehensible we would consider selling him. He’s a very good player who seems to understand how to play progressive football.

I find it infuriating that he keeps getting ignored in his natural midfield position.
I have been wanting him to be played in midfield for ages and how the slow ponderous Xhaka keeps getting selected ahead of him beggars belief.
AMN adds drive , pace and energy to the midfield and I can find it ridiculous Arteta hasn't tried him there more.
We are wasting his talents.
Seems the calls to play him there are growing.

Post #519609  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 am 

john1 wrote:
DHD wrote:
Why are we playing in blue?

Our red kit would clash with theirs and cause a problem for people with colour blindness, so apparently we opted to play in the blue
I can vouch for that.

Post #519610  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:47 am 

DHD wrote:
john1 wrote:

Our red kit would clash with theirs and cause a problem for people with colour blindness, so apparently we opted to play in the blue

All bolocks, isn’t it?
Not commenting on the kits but colour blindness can make it difficult to distinguish difference in certain spectrums. I have problems around red, green and brown. It was only last week I learned I hadn't been supporting Hibs since the 50s...

Post #519611  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
john1 wrote:
I can vouch for that.

Shouldn’t it have been for the away team to change last night though? We changed for the away game in Vienna, after all.

Post #519612  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:38 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Not commenting on the kits but colour blindness can make it difficult to distinguish difference in certain spectrums. I have problems around red, green and brown. It was only last week I learned I hadn't been supporting Hibs since the 50s...

I can remember when Sheffield Wednesday used to play in blue shirts with white sleeves rather than blue and white stripes. Guess you were okay with that when we played them if it’s red, green and brown you can’t distinguish.

Post #519613  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:45 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:

All bolocks, isn’t it?

I did wonder why you kept posting about Pat Stanton.

Post #519614  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

What a player he was.

Post #519615  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:34 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
What a player he was.

Not to mention Joe Baker, Peter Marinello, Alex Cropley ...

Post #519616  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
What a player he was.

Joe Baker played in my first ever game, though for Nottingham Forest not Arsenal. Also in the Forest team that day was Jim Baxter, the Rangers legend.

I remember Peter Marinello and Alex Cropley. Marinello was such a talented player he was dubbed the new George Best. Sadly he missed an early sitter at Highbury when Ajax knocked us out the European Cup. Cropley probably didn’t have Marinello’s level of ability, though he did have plenty. But he more than compensated for that with his tigerish competitive instincts.

Post #519617  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Joe Baker played in my first ever game, though for Nottingham Forest not Arsenal. Also in the Forest team that day was Jim Baxter, the Rangers legend.

I remember Peter Marinello and Alex Cropley. Marinello was such a talented player he was dubbed the new George Best. Sadly he missed an early sitter at Highbury when Ajax knocked us out the European Cup. Cropley probably didn’t have Marinello’s level of ability, though he did have plenty. But he more than compensated for that with his tigerish competitive instincts.

Joe Baker in my first game too.

My memory is playing tricks though as I falsely recall Brian Dear playing for them (via the song “Oh dear what can the matter be”).

https://www.11v11.com/matches/arsenal-v ... 964-78117/

Post #519618  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:07 pm 

I see PV4 has been sacked as head coach of Nice after 2-1/2 years, due to Europa League exit.

Post #519619  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Joe Baker played in my first ever game, though for Nottingham Forest not Arsenal.

Anyone remember Joe Baker knocking out man-mountain Ron Yeats in a Cup game?

1963 I think.

Post #519620  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:52 pm 

Joe Hart may be in goal for spurs on Sunday. If so we need to be taking lots of long range shots. He’s been weak on them for years now

Post #519621  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:14 pm 

If I remember correctly Alex Cropley broke his leg running to get on the coach at Villa Park

Post #519622  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Any guesses for what Arsenal will announce the official attendance as? Jokes aside this is an official first team game and fans are in so it must go down as the lowest attendance in Arsenal's history surely? There will be an asterix next to it in the record books but good trivia knowledge in years to come

Rich, it is accepted the club was founded in 1886, not when it was formally named Arsenal in 1919. From that, I think it’s right to include the home games under its names preceding that. I might be wrong but I believe Dial Square played at the Isle of Dogs, Royal Arsenal at the Invicta Ground in Plumstead, Woolwich Arsenal at the Manor Ground in Plumstead, and The Arsenal started the early years at Highbury.

I doubt The Arsenal got lower than 2,000 as I think the club played under that name at Highbury until 1919 and the lowest attendance there was the 4554 against Leeds in 1966.

However, let me say I don’t know, but I would be surprised if they never got below 2,000 in any home games during those early years. Be it Dial Square at the Isle of Dogs, Royal Arsenal or Woolwich Arsenal around Plumstead Common (or wherever else they played in those sorts of localities until the move to the Islington area in 1913).

Post #519623  Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:29 pm 

So, an AMN and Partey midfield? :58big-emoticons:

NLD week. Tottenham playing great, managed by a man we can't seem to ever beat. Doesn't look promising does it?

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking." - Napoleon (and hopefully Arteta)

Post #519624  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:19 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Any guesses for what Arsenal will announce the official attendance as? Jokes aside this is an official first team game and fans are in so it must go down as the lowest attendance in Arsenal's history surely? There will be an asterix next to it in the record books but good trivia knowledge in years to come

Rich, it is accepted the club was founded in 1886, not when it was formally named Arsenal in 1919. From that, I think it’s right to include the home games under its names preceding that. I might be wrong but I believe Dial Square played at the Isle of Dogs, Royal Arsenal at the Invicta Ground in Plumstead, Woolwich Arsenal at the Manor Ground in Plumstead, and The Arsenal started the early years at Highbury.

I doubt The Arsenal got lower than 2,000 as I think the club played under that name at Highbury until 1919 and the lowest attendance there was the 4554 against Leeds in 1966.

However, let me say I don’t know, but I would be surprised if they never got below 2,000 in any home games during those early years. Be it Dial Square at the Isle of Dogs, Royal Arsenal or Woolwich Arsenal around Plumstead Common (or wherever else they played in those sorts of localities until the move to the Islington area in 1913).

Good history aside. Low turnout of only limit of 2K fans Thursday night, due to C19. Fans allowed only first come, first served. Notice that fans were to observe social distancing among other things. And, yes, it may be the lowest turnout on record due to certain circumstances only. Same for NLD Sunday. Only 2K fans allowed and only Spurs fans. No away fans at all.
:blob9:

Post #519625  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:59 am 

Rich wrote:

I much prefer him in midfield to either Xhaka or Ceballos

Post #519626  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:09 am 

Old news to you guys but I discovered 'Endeavour' on Amazon Prime and enjoying it immensely. Good or bad, it's very 'British'...lol. The main character's immediate boss sounds exactly like Dumbledore. Anyway, never knew there were so many murders in quaint English towns. :42laughter:

Post #519627  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:10 am 

...not as good as the first 2 seasons of 'Luther', but what is? Still very enjoyable.

Post #519628  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Do you know if they have been recording recent attendances eg. Aston Villa as zero.

Post #519629  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Do you know if they have been recording recent attendances eg. Aston Villa as zero.

There were programmes produced for each of the behind closed doors games last season that you could order to receive by post, which I did. The attendances up to the Watford programme for those games were all recorded as zero. I’m absolutely certain the attendances for the final game last season (Watford) and all the ones so far this season before the Vienna match would also all be recorded as 0.

Post #519630  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

There were programmes produced for each of the behind closed doors games last season that you could order to receive by post, which I did. The attendances up to the Watford programme for those games were all recorded as zero. I’m absolutely certain the attendances for the final game last season (Watford) and all the ones so far this season before the Vienna match would also all be recorded as 0.

Cheers

Post #519631  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Old news to you guys but I discovered 'Endeavour' on Amazon Prime and enjoying it immensely. Good or bad, it's very 'British'...lol. The main character's immediate boss sounds exactly like Dumbledore. Anyway, never knew there were so many murders in quaint English towns. :42laughter:

Just in case you haven’t realised. That is a prequel to the old Morse series with John Thaw (being him as a young man).

A spin off from the original Morse series was Lewis.

Post #519632  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:36 am 

I was wondering why the description said prequel. I am going to tackle the series afterwards.

Post #519633  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:32 pm 

I hope they’re wrong but the Mirror are saying Arsenal are paying Willian £250k a week. Considering his form so far, I hope we haven’t got ourselves a slightly cheaper (if £100k a week can be called ‘slightly’) Özil who is on £350k a week.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... dium=email

Post #519634  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Joe Baker played in my first ever game, though for Nottingham Forest not Arsenal.

Anyone remember Joe Baker knocking out man-mountain Ron Yeats in a Cup game?

1963 I think.
Yes. A while ago I wrote this about it: "Amongst the many dramatic matches between Arsenal and Liverpool, the FA Cup clash of February 1964 ranks mountain high. It was an epic barney set before a large floodlit crowd. North squared up to south, rock collided with rock, and a blatant injustice prompted a moment of magnificent violence. Pre-match Wright hinted that his tactics would focus on his inside men playing quick, accurate football through the middle. On the night he banked on his speedy wingers’ ability to outrun the slowish Liverpool backs. It could have worked, but typically absent-minded defending let in St. John for the only goal of a raucous evening. Arsenal pressed hard, and according to Ure they ‘paralysed’ Liverpool, only to be denied a penalty when the referee missed Moran clearly punching a Baker shot off the line. Two minutes later the same forward was cut down in the area, and again no penalty. When Yeats fouled Baker fifteen yards inside Liverpool’s half they looked at each other with eyes full of fire and then traded blows. Though Yeats was the bigger man Baker was not one to let the same dog bite him twice. Referee John Taylor decided they were obviously not nonchalant gentlemen picking pears in an orchard and sent both off. The Times described the tie as having ‘more of the drama of a popular uprising than a game of football.’ True, and how we loved it! In the mayhem Liverpool manager Shankly ran on to the pitch to attend Yeats. The referee asked him what he was doing there and Bill explained ‘I merely said I was rearranging the team. He said ‘That’s alright’, and with my job done, I walked off.’ Yeats showered and dressed, left the ground and grabbed a cup of coffee in a nearby café. He returned in time to greet his jubilant team at the final whistle."

Post #519635  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Just in case you haven’t realised. That is a prequel to the old Morse series with John Thaw (being him as a young man).

Lewis is pretty good.

Post #519636  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:48 pm 

Read a stat. Pires only ever won 2 penalties for Arsenal. Ljungberg won 11.

Post #519637  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Read a stat. Pires only ever won 2 penalties for Arsenal. Ljungberg won 11.

How many did Wiltord win, out of interest?

Post #519638  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:35 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Lewis is pretty good.

I’d rank them as
1 Morse
2 Endeavour
3 Lewis

Kevin Whately (never better than in Auf Wiedersehn) was quoted as saying that he hated police procedurals and wouldn’t watch such stuff.

Post #519639  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 pm 

So fans allowed back in. And Millwall take the opportunity to loudly boo players taking the knee. How utterly depressing.

Post #519640  Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Lewis is pretty good.

I’d rank them as
1 Morse
2 Endeavour
3 Lewis

Kevin Whately (never better than in Auf Wiedersehn) was quoted as saying that he hated police procedurals and wouldn’t watch such stuff.

Busman's holiday I suppose. Lovely actor.

Morse was brilliant. We rewatched the whole lot recently.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12988, 12989, 12990, 12991, 12992, 12993, 12994 ... 14269  Next