Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 88 guests

Post #486801  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:37 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Around 20 hours and he’s history guys , :21encouragement: :21encouragement:

This is what it must of felt like when the Berlin Wall fell :laughing7:

I’ve put a bottle of champers in the fridge am uncorking it around 5.30 tomorrow ( we’ll his farewell interview are bound to go on a while , the old scrote will be reluctant to vacate the stage)

How long have many of us waited for this day ?

Post #486802  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:25 am 

Pete on the beach wrote:

I’ve put a bottle of champers in the fridge am uncorking it around 5.30 tomorrow ( we’ll his farewell interview are bound to go on a while , the old scrote will be reluctant to vacate the stage)

I'm ecstatic ! Waited too long for this day to come.
:21encouragement:
:22encouragement:
:26encouragement:

Post #486803  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
He was a breath of fresh air, and provided the most sustained period of quality football I’ve witnessed at our Club. Showed loyalty to his players which at times seemed misplaced. My belief is he was misled by those that controlled the purse strings. Became stale in recent years and undoubtedly let down by his squad. Time to go but the highlights far outweigh the low points.

End of an era and thanks for the memories, regards the low points, *%^@ happens..... get over it.

Merci

It's fine to be all tra la la la thanks for the memories now he is actually going ...but the " get over it **&^%% happens routine " ....... what a crock of sh**t .

We haven't won an away game this year , played mind numbingly boring possessional football .... if it wasn't for a few you advise to get over it ; getting their nuts in a knot and protesting etc .......... the posing plonker would be with us for another year .

:53big-emoticons:

Post #486804  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
He was a breath of fresh air, and provided the most sustained period of quality football I’ve witnessed at our Club. Showed loyalty to his players which at times seemed misplaced. My belief is he was misled by those that controlled the purse strings. Became stale in recent years and undoubtedly let down by his squad. Time to go but the highlights far outweigh the low points.

End of an era and thanks for the memories, regards the low points, *%^@ happens..... get over it.

Merci

I am sorry I cannot agree with your views that he was misled by those who controlled the purse strings.

Wenger always wanted to prove that you did not need to spend money to win the title. He would have been telling the board he did not need big money. He should have been telling the board I will walk unless you invest. We had a Russian part owner who wanted to put money in. He needed to be aggressive and go to the press. But he wanted to do the 'Leicester'. He had the power.

Instead he misread many situations and because he was all of the positions in the club he helped cause the problem.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #486805  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Merci

Fair post.

:20hospitals:

Post #486806  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:39 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I can't recall who we were strongly linked with at the time (was it Robson?) but whomever it is, there is no way we would have had the success we had from '98 to '04 and the FA Cups after. We wouldn't have and if someone says "you can't say that, you don't know"....no, I know. It wouldn't have and if in some alternate universe the manager we were associated with would have won a title maybe....and thats a big maybe or an FA Cup or two, and kept us competitive, I wouldn't trade it for what Wenger brought, warts (last several years) and all.

Its clearly time to go but the good times were fantastic. They were envied even from the fans of the biggest clubs in the world. The Arsenal and Brazil were uttered in the same sentence at one point.

Time for a new era.

:20hospitals:

How do you know we wouldn't have gotten a better manager, who will adapt to the changes in the game after Chelsea and City got their financial backers?
How do you know we wouldn't get a manager who is tactically more astute and will respond to the type of opposition we are playing?
How do you know we wouldn't have a manager who will listen to his (for that matter, could be her) fans and make the necessary star purchases which we always needed (Don't you recall we were always a position or two short, season after season. And in these final years, an entire defensive outfit short).
How do you know we wouldn't have a manager who will keep the star players, instead of letting them go.

In short, what makes you believe that you know best? (Even better than Wenger?). AKB will now be AmericanGooner Knows Best! :icon_mrgreen:

Post #486807  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

I'm ecstatic ! Waited too long for this day to come.
:21encouragement:
:22encouragement:
:26encouragement:

Me too. Wenger didn't do what he needed to when he could have. He'd been riding his luck for more than half a decade and now the chances and his time is up. Even if the new manager makes mistakes, at least they won't be so boringly predictable.

Post #486808  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:56 am 

Must be f.....en joking - Brendan Rogers should be manager according to Merson
https://www.thesportreview.com/2018/05/ ... w-manager/

Post #486809  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:18 am 

I wonder which players we would have gotten had we went with a different manager. No Henry, Vieira, Pires, Fabregas probably but that doesn't mean we wouldn't have had others we would come to know and love.

As for adjusting to Chelsea we would have been moving into the stadium no matter what and so short of funds so Chelsea would still have been ahead of us. I think we'd have had a better record possibly against them.

I can't see any situatioin where we the first several years would be better. The last several? Yes, but not the first several years.

Post #486810  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:47 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Merci

It's fine to be all tra la la la thanks for the memories now he is actually going ...but the " get over it **&^%% happens routine " ....... what a crock of sh**t .

We haven't won an away game this year , played mind numbingly boring possessional football .... if it wasn't for a few you advise to get over it ; getting their nuts in a knot and protesting etc .......... the posing plonker would be with us for another year .

Precisely.

Post #486811  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 am 

Niall wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

No need for the crass post from Pete either Kiwipete. No comment on that?

You pays your money you takes your choice , one persons hero is another persons plank. Arsene Wenger was a brilliant manager once but hasn’t been for half a generation ( in the opinion of many who don’t buy into all this ridiculous send off %%&) , he became ( with the help of compliant bosses) the master at doing just enough to keep the coffers jingling ! . And very skilfull at getting everyone to not question him too closely by creating an air of reverence ( in twenty years...... yak, yak’! Etc), occasionally if someone breaches that and dares follow up beyond banalities - Jacqui Oakley and jake Humphrey’s spring to mind - the mask slipped and charming, courteous old Arsene wasn’t quite the whole picture, unfortunately the media were too in awe or scared of losing access to do it too often

Post #486812  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:51 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Must be f.....en joking - Brendan Rogers should be manager according to Merson
https://www.thesportreview.com/2018/05/ ... w-manager/

I'd rather Rogers than Arteta believe it or not. I'm more than aware about the David Brent style quotes but I have a horrible feeling that it's going to be Arteta with Mertesacker as his assistant. Whilst they would have my complete support and SYMPATHY i can't see how they are qualified to be the management team of Arsenal football club

Post #486813  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 am 

Yes a great day in prospect. Our last with the Wenger

I will always remember his tenure in roughly 2 parts the first half being when he was the best manager in the world the 2nd when he grossly mismanaged not just the team but whole club. Like I said previously I think some of the things that made Arsene great hurt him later on.

It's not right to tell someone they are being crass when they are just saying how they feel and some of the Praise for Arsene has been great but had an elephant in the room feeling about it. In particular I thought the presentation of the golden invincible trophy seemed too nostalgic. What's that quote "..............when you have no future try to live in the past? (Or something like that! )

Post #486814  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I will always remember his tenure in roughly 2 parts the first half being when he was the best manager in the world the 2nd when he grossly mismanaged not just the team but whole club. Like I said previously I think some of the things that made Arsene great hurt him later on.

It's not right to tell someone they are being crass when they are just saying how they feel and some of the Praise for Arsene has been great but had an elephant in the room feeling about it. In particular I thought the presentation of the golden invincible trophy seemed too nostalgic. What's that quote "..............when you have no future try to live in the past? (Or something like that! )

It’s ok TG niall’s had it in for me since 2011 when I suggested we got “ in Arsene we rust “ t shirts made up :laughing7:

Actually that proved to be largely prophetic as it turned out

Post #486815  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 am 

I couldn't see anything crass about Pete's post either. He's opening a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the Wenger nightmare (my words, not his) ending. At our house we celebrated by opening a bottle of fine Bordeaux on the day his then forthcoming departure was confirmed, simply because our youngest daughter (who also hates Wenger) is the only one of us who likes sparkling wine. We have Champagne at weddings and events like that, but in my view Champagne is over-rated and over-priced. It isn't crass to say you're opening a bottle to celebrate. I didn't see anything crass about his reference to the Berlin wall coming down either.

Post #486816  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
I couldn't see anything crass about Pete's post either. He's opening a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the Wenger nightmare (my words, not his) ending. At our house we celebrated by opening a bottle of fine Bordeaux on the day his then forthcoming departure was confirmed, simply because our youngest daughter (who also hates Wenger) is the only one of us who likes sparkling wine. We have Champagne at weddings and events like that, but in my view Champagne is over-rated and over-priced. It isn't crass to say you're opening a bottle to celebrate. I didn't see anything crass about his reference to the Berlin wall coming down either.

Actually one of the guys on OG forum likened it to Paris the night before the allies arrived : so I toned it down , re champagne my wife is a bit of an expert ( she used to be in the trade ) so we often have it around , personally I agree with you , but still drink it if around

Post #486817  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:49 am 

Dennis Nilsen, the famous serial killer, died yesterday. Coincidentally there was a documentary on him yesterday, pre-planned so not shown because of his death.

Post #486818  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am 

And you know what!!

I’ll also drink to my small role in this , and the other boys on the OG forum who did far more than I did last year with organising planes, light projections and ofcourse marches. Around much hostility and apathy from others ( plus some of those guys had been holding banners at away games for a good few years prior, and getting verbally and physically abused in the bargain). Whilst we didn’t win the battle initially, we put protest in the media and shone a light on the situation which clearly led to the events of this season

Post #486819  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am 

Don’t agree one iota with Pete’s post but as he says, it’s his choice. Wenger will always be a hero to me.

Bernard, my mum lived on Melrose Avenue in Crickkewood for a bit when she was a young girl, which was one of roads Dennis Nielson lived and killed on.

Post #486820  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am 

I also think it may be Arteta. The one I’d like though is Nagelsmann. I don’t have a problem with either though. It’s not brain surgery after all.

Post #486821  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am 

Darren wrote:
Don’t agree one iota with Pete’s post but as he says, it’s his choice. Wenger will always be a hero to me.

Bernard, my mum lived on Melrose Avenue in Crickkewood for a bit when she was a young girl, which was one of roads Dennis Nielson lived and killed on.

Fair dues as I’ve said for years , i’ll Give a proper considered judgement on how I see Wenger two years from the day he leaves , which is ofcourse today

Post #486822  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:12 am 

Darren wrote:
I also think it may be Arteta. The one I’d like though is Nagelsmann. I don’t have a problem with either though. It’s not brain surgery after all.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Arteta as a person but out of all the options I think it's the most illogical. It's based on a personal relationship with him and Gazidis not if he's qualified and I fear if he was appointed we would be looking for another new manager within 2 years. Even Vieira or Henry would be preferable to me. The way Mertesacker was standing directly next to Arsene in front of everyone when he was addressing everyone in the photos of the last training session seemed to indicate something to me but I may be reading too much into it.

Funny you mentioned it's not brain surgery, Wenger did a great job over the last few years convincing everybody it absolutely was.

Post #486823  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Funny you mentioned it's not brain surgery, Wenger did a great job over the last few years convincing everybody it absolutely was.

He’s made it much harder than it needs to be certainly. I just have a hunch that there’s something about Arteta. I don’t really mind who gets the job. Just something new is enough for me, for now at least.

Post #486824  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 am 

Darren wrote:

He actually did more murders at Melrose Avenue than Cranley Gardens. My parents lived in Muswell Hill before moving to Totteridge. Not in Cranley Gardens but not far at all. A short walk.

Post #486825  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am 

Hate to be negative about him but I think the club's playing side needs a new direction. I have doubts Arteta has the personality to do that. He seems a little too introverted to change things. I also feel DHD made a good point that he's possibly played with too many of the players. Might that make him more accepting of their faults?

Was it Top Gun who said the only reason he's being considered is Gazidis likes him? He's had one year as an assistant manager. Whether or not that was under Guardiola, is that sufficient experience to take over at a club the size of Arsenal?

Post #486826  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:47 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Merci

Yep, I too felt a little disappointed when we didn't win 22 titles on the spin.

Post #486827  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Merci

Wenger always wanted to prove that you did not need to spend money to win the title. He would have been telling the board he did not need big money.....

Can't wait to read the truth about this story.

Post #486828  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 am 

Babu III wrote:
On the 26th May 1989, The Arsenal won the League at Anfield.
A great day for me because my girlfriend disappeared on that day as well.

Apparently she knew the guy I threw the bottle at already, and he'd been trying to persuade her to leave me as I was no good, and that he and "The Lord" would make her happy. She left without a note. I went to see her Mum but she had no idea where she was. She hadn't seen her for a few weeks either and the last thing she knew was that her daughter was planning to go and do some Missionary work somewhere "Abroad".

Sounds like a narrow escape to me.

Post #486829  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 am 

I am just relieved that it's finally going to be all over, and I used to love Arsene. I will take whoever we get, and feel like I can go back to properly supporting Arsenal again. I would love Allegri but I think that's unlikely to happen, so whoever it is, bring it on.

Post #486830  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:00 am 

Babu III wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Sounds like a narrow escape to me.

Yes indeed!

In conclusion, if it hadn't been for cotton eye Joe, I'd have been married a long time ago.
Where did you come from, where did you go?
Where did you come from, Cotton Eye Joe?

So if we hadn't lost to Derby, not only would Anfield 89 never have happened, but your life would have potentially been very different.
Come on you Rams :53big-emoticons:

Post #486831  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Wenger always wanted to prove that you did not need to spend money to win the title. He would have been telling the board he did not need big money.....

Can't wait to read the truth about this story.

I understand your views & I also understand why it may be an emotional time for you. Sport can do that to you. The night I had my baby son on my lap, sometime after midnight and ayrton senna was killed was the absolute worst for me in sport. He was my hero despite the fact I was in my late 30’s, So I do see how others might have an attachment to their sporting hero. Wenger may be your senna.

Post #486832  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
So if we hadn't lost to Derby, not only would Anfield 89 never have happened, but your life would have potentially been very different.
Come on you Rams :53big-emoticons:

I really want Fulham to get promoted so hope they beat Derby tomorrow.

Post #486833  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am 

Arsenal has a higher net spend than Real Madrid since 2010.

Post #486834  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:34 am 

Bernard wrote:

Was it Top Gun who said the only reason he's being considered is Gazidis likes him? He's had one year as an assistant manager. Whether or not that was under Guardiola, is that sufficient experience to take over at a club the size of Arsenal?

Yes it was, he’s undoubtedly a good guy. Remember the stories about him bringing all the different players together to eat lunch as a team. I just don’t think he’s the best candidate we could choose and if you had told most at the start of the season or when Wenger was fired he would be replaced by Arteta there would have been a state of shock and anger. It’s looks like the club have been putting feeler type articles out there to gauge public opinion on Arteta being next manager.

More here

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2018/ ... ager-watch

Post #486835  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 am 

Darren wrote:
He’s made it much harder than it needs to be certainly. I just have a hunch that there’s something about Arteta. I don’t really mind who gets the job. Just something new is enough for me, for now at least.

Agree with this. Also think experience is way overrated when it comes to football management, it's the notion that experience is vital that keeps dinosaurs like Allardyce, Pulis and Hughes in the league. If anything we're desperate for a fresh pair of eyes.

Post #486836  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
Dennis Nilsen, the famous serial killer, died yesterday. Coincidentally there was a documentary on him yesterday, pre-planned so not shown because of his death.

Good news when any serial killer goes. I know nothing about his crimes and don't intend to do research on him, but I hope he suffered at the end. The older I get the more I favour the death penalty.

Post #486837  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It’s ok TG niall’s had it in for me since 2011 when I suggested we got “ in Arsene we rust “ t shirts made up :laughing7:

Actually that proved to be largely prophetic as it turned out

Ah Pete I haven't got it in for you at all, I just don't agree with some of your opinions and didn't like the crassness of your recent post. Annoyed me a bit. Obviously I have more respect for AW than some others as Kiwipete pointed out but I am glad it's over now too.

Post #486838  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:54 pm 

When the news hit me that Arsene was going on the 20th April i was Buzzing and ecstatic. The painful defeats and sometimes thrashings to our near rivals. The acceptance of defeat in those big games even before kick off.
We were slowly deteriorating year by year despite those magnificent cup wins in the last 4 years which i thoroughly enjoyed.
However it was time to go and thankfully so.
Thank you Arsene for the greatest moments as an Arsenal fan. The Invincibes. The League titles and the 7 fa cups. The sparkling football. The keeping us in the top 4 after the stadium move and the genuine love you have for our great club. Thank you for everything.
You failed to scale the heights recently BUT YOU TOOK US TO THOSE HEIGHTS!
All the best for the future.

Post #486839  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:08 pm 

I wonder what Steve Bould is thinking?

Post #486840  Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:17 pm 

Decent stream anyone?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12168, 12169, 12170, 12171, 12172, 12173, 12174 ... 14269  Next