Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 156 guests

Post #486721  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:46 am 

What set of fans should be more disappointed with this season based on expectations last August, Arsenal or Chelsea? [Honorable mention: Tottenham]

Post #486722  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Allegri will cost a lot to hire. Does any one think one of the reasons they are going with an 'unknown' (if it turns out to be Klopp's right hand man) is to save money on wages? :icon_mrgreen:

Allegri is supposedly on £2-3m a season LESS than wenger. I expect most of the Juve team are on far lower wages that our boys as well

Post #486723  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Jeremy Wilson of the Telegraph is on it. So is the Mirror’s John Cross. And the Daily Mail’s Sami Mokbel is matching the reports as well.

All three are reporting tonight that Arsenal’s search for Arsène Wenger’s replacement is down to a shortlist of just five with three confirmed:

Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri
Former Arsenal midfielder and current Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta
Former Arsenal midfielder and current New York City FC head coach Patrick Vieira
The other names seemingly to fill out the final five are two among:

German national football team head coach Joachim Löw
Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim
Hoffenheim head coach Julian Nagelsmann

If these are the choices. Allegri is handsdown the preferred. I love Vieira but I'd be worried with him as gaffer. Arteta is learning at the feet of one of the best. I'd put Low as second preferred. Don't know much about Nagelsmann.

If we want a young coach then Nagelsmann should be head and shoulders above Arteta and Vieira. The guy has actually managed for a few seasons for a start, and in the German league, and has taken Hoffenheim from near relegation to champions league. If he had previously been a player for arsenal he’d be miles above Arteta and Vieira in peoples list.

Post #486724  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 am 

I can't believe that Arteta is anywhere near any list for the managers job. If you start considering Arteta then surely Eddie Howe should be in consideration (and he's not ready), at least he's managed in the PL and has some sort of track record in management.

Appointing Arteta would just be a huge throw of the dice for any PL club let alone one with top four aspirations.

Post #486725  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 am 

socrates wrote:
I can't believe that Arteta is anywhere near any list for the managers job. If you start considering Arteta then surely Eddie Howe should be in consideration (and he's not ready), at least he's managed in the PL and has some sort of track record in management.

Appointing Arteta would just be a huge throw of the dice for any PL club let alone one with top four aspirations.

if Arteta is being considered then I reckon my Nan is in with a shout...

Post #486726  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 am 

socrates wrote:

Morning socrates. I'd rather have Vieira than Arteta, and at this point I'd be disappointed with Vieira. I'd even rather have Rodgers than Arteta, and I really don't want Rodgers. I keep reading that Gazidis is very much open to Arteta getting the job. I hope it isn't true.

The way I see it, there were two main tasks for Gazidis this summer. First, getting rid of Wenger. Job done, and credit to him for that. Second, replacing Wenger with the right man. If it ends up being Arteta, my initial reaction will be that Gazidis failed miserably with that vital task.

Post #486727  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:00 am 

Bernard wrote:
I'd rather have Vieira than Arteta, and at this point I'd be disappointed with Vieira. I'd even rather have Rodgers than Arteta, and I really don't want Rodgers.

The way I see it, there were two main tasks for Gazidis this summer. First, getting rid of Wenger. Job done, and credit to him for that. Second, replacing Wenger with the right man. If it ends up being Arteta, my initial reaction will be that Gazidis failed miserably with that vital task.

How would you feel about Mertesacker "grabbing the reins "

Post #486728  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 am 

Arsenal have made more errors leading to shots (31) and goals (15) than any other Premier League side in the current campaign.

We clearly don’t have the worst players in the league who are just so bad that they make continued mistakes through lack of ability. For the 6th placed team to have those stats points squarely at two things, a lack of concentration and too much risk taking in defensive areas. The style of play wenger enforces on the team requests risk taking at the back, when mistakes are made they aren’t punished or coached out because wenger sees these mistakes as necessary collateral damage to the way he wants to play football.

If a new manager came in and simply said to the defence, whoever you have the ball in your own third get it in to the opposition half we would be far better off. We have enough talent in the fron 5 positions to create and score goals

Post #486729  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I'd rather have Vieira than Arteta, and at this point I'd be disappointed with Vieira. I'd even rather have Rodgers than Arteta, and I really don't want Rodgers.

He strikes me as the type of character who could develop into a good coach, perhaps even more so than Arteta. But needs more experience than he currently has.

Post #486730  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 am 

hoxton square wrote:
Niall wrote:
Your Russian is sound Kiwi, I am starting to wonder about you.

You don't suspect him to be a 'sleeper" do you? He could have been recruited when he lived in London and then transferred to NZ and Oz to get an unbiased update on life down under.

I think a closer look at that op shop might reveal a group of covert conspirators. Bin Laden was said to be an Arsenal fan so Red Pete may not be too far from the truth.

Post #486731  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:21 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Of a donkey on the beach at Blackpool but nowhere else.

In the coverage of todays game the comms mentioned the position and said that the club had indicated they hoped to appoint the new manager before the WC started. How about making an announcement next week. Of course depending on current contracts the manager may not be able to start officially much later.

Post #486732  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:43 am 

I have no issues with Arteta. Much rather him than Rodgers. It would be something different. I quite like the look of Nagelsmann. Not that excited by the idea of a name as such. Let's be brave.

Post #486733  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:02 am 

Well, who will it be then ?

Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri
Former Arsenal midfielder and current Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta
Former Arsenal midfielder and current New York City FC head coach Patrick Vieira
German national football team head coach Joachim Löw
Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim
Hoffenheim head coach Julian Nagelsmann

Post #486734  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 am 

Darren wrote:
I have no issues with Arteta. Much rather him than Rodgers. It would be something different. I quite like the look of Nagelsmann. Not that excited by the idea of a name as such. Let's be brave.

Morning Darren.
Allegri would be perfect but will he leave Juventus??
Have to admit I'm warming to the idea of a younger coach. If going down that road Nagelsmann would be a good shout.
Took a team of average players near the bottom to looking like champions league qualification the last 2 seasons. Comes across as innovative as well.
At first a no no to Arteta but warming to him as well as he seems very highly thought of.
Gazidis did say we need to be bold. I think that comment could prove very telling.
Then again I like Jardim's work at Monaco. Worked under constraints but did wonders with a young squad.
Bloody difficult isn't it!!!

Post #486735  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:52 am 

Just received my Season Ticket renewal notices. Deadline is 1st June.

Hmmmmm.....

Post #486736  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm 

DHD wrote:

Hmmmmm.....

Got mine yesterday. Isn't the deadline always 1st June?

Post #486737  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm 

david.d wrote:
Darren wrote:

Morning Darren.
Allegri would be perfect but will he leave Juventus??
Have to admit I'm warming to the idea of a younger coach. If going down that road Nagelsmann would be a good shout.
Took a team of average players near the bottom to looking like champions league qualification the last 2 seasons. Comes across as innovative as well.
At first a no no to Arteta but warming to him as well as he seems very highly thought of.
Gazidis did say we need to be bold. I think that comment could prove very telling.
Then again I like Jardim's work at Monaco. Worked under constraints but did wonders with a young squad.
Bloody difficult isn't it!!!

These folks could be available as well - Unai Emery, Zidane and Conte.

Post #486738  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Hmmmmm.....

On checking, the notifications did come through yesterday - shows how much notice I take of Arsenal emails these days.

My tickets seem to have gone up by a bit more than 5% Bernard - have yours?

Post #486739  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

On checking, the notifications did come through yesterday - shows how much notice I take of Arsenal emails these days.

My tickets seem to have gone up by a bit more than 5% Bernard - have yours?

Must be honest, I can't remember what I paid last year.

Post #486740  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 pm 

Travelling yesterday so I missed the game. Can’t believe Wenger lost again surely he can’t lose against Huddersfield. It would be a staggering way to end his tenure without an away win in his final year.

Again Allegri for me but I have a feeling we may end up with Arteta which would be a mental appointment but not beyond our board

Post #486741  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Travelling yesterday so I missed the game. Can’t believe Wenger lost again surely he can’t lose against Huddersfield. It would be a staggering way to end his tenure without an away win in his final year.

Again Allegri for me but I have a feeling we may end up with Arteta which would be a mental appointment but not beyond our board

The Huddersfield players were allowed out on an all night booze session in London after their draw with Chelsea. No excuses not to beat a hungover still celebrating team

Post #486742  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 pm 

Can't see how it could be Arteta. He only left the club 2 years ago. For me, that's too little time to establish a break from team-mates who he will now manage, and too little time to learn the job.

Vieira on the other hand has built plenty of distance and with his background and record, he'd command instant respect. He also has some decent managerial experience as a number 1.

Watch out for Lehmann and O'Leary, both of whom seem to have been fully re-absorbed.

Post #486743  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The Huddersfield players were allowed out on an all night booze session in London after their draw with Chelsea. No excuses not to beat a hungover still celebrating team

Last chance for Wenger to win an away league match in 2018. Hope he goes out with a bang.

Post #486744  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm 

Even if Wenger does wins the match, I think it will likely be a relief to be done with the Wenger era and usher in a new one. I hope he wins but if he loses, I won't be angry. My guess is it will end in a draw. Huddersfield is safe.

I drove by the construction site where the LA Rams new stadium is being built Large cranes and it looks like it will be nice. I kept thinking. So this is where our money is going?

Post #486745  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Arse beating Husdersfield... :icon_rolleyes: Nearly beat Chelsea. We lost to Leicester yesterday. Maybe players won't let a loss happen to AW's last game. Up for grabs.
Arteta...er...yeah. Possible appointment. Has Arsenal knowledge, experience, yet a well groomed asst. coach by a manager who is well versed in football ways. Board, the 2 Kroenkes, Ivan see a new Guardiola in the making.

Post #486746  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
Can't see how it could be Arteta. He only left the club 2 years ago. For me, that's too little time to establish a break from team-mates who he will now manage, and too little time to learn the job.

Vieira on the other hand has built plenty of distance and with his background and record, he'd command instant respect. He also has some decent managerial experience as a number 1.

Watch out for Lehmann and O'Leary, both of whom seem to have been fully re-absorbed.

The O'Leary thing is a little weird. What is it he actually does ? He's sat next to board members most games. Weird considering the way he disenfranchised himself with our fans

Anyone who watches the MLS knows it's not even championship level. choosing Vieira is a little mental but not as crazy as choosing Arteta.

Post #486747  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
hoxton square wrote:

You don't suspect him to be a 'sleeper" do you? He could have been recruited when he lived in London and then transferred to NZ and Oz to get an unbiased update on life down under.

I think a closer look at that op shop might reveal a group of covert conspirators. Bin Laden was said to be an Arsenal fan so Red Pete may not be too far from the truth.

have you been eating dodgy Morton Bay bugs or something .... how you manage to weave Bin Laden in with the communists is anybodies guess .

Post #486748  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:12 pm 

DHD wrote:

Agreed on Arteta but I'd probably quit Arsenal permanently if O'Leary were appointed.

Post #486749  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

have you been eating dodgy Morton Bay bugs or something .... how you manage to weave Bin Laden in with the communists is anybodies guess .

I was just looking for enemies of our freedom fighters - the good old USA. Just on the USA, do you join with our British friends in wanting Trump to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I almost choked when I heard that idiot Boris Johnston calling for it.

Post #486750  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
DHD wrote:

Agreed on Arteta but I'd probably quit Arsenal permanently if O'Leary were appointed.

And relocate to Russia?

Post #486751  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

And relocate to Russia?

da tovarishch

Post #486752  Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:43 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I was just looking for enemies of our freedom fighters - the good old USA. Just on the USA, do you join with our British friends in wanting Trump to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I almost choked when I heard that idiot Boris Johnston calling for it.

Even worse when it was the South Korean prime minister who actually did all the work while Plump was still twitttering around in the background

Post #486753  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 am 

Draw against Huddersfield, probably a high score draw.

Post #486754  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Even if Wenger does wins the match, I think it will likely be a relief to be done with the Wenger era and usher in a new one.

Interesting take, AG. I hadn't thought of it like that.

AmericanGooner wrote:
I hope he wins but if he loses, I won't be angry.

I admire your sang-froid, but I'll be livid if we don't win this crucial fixture.

Post #486755  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:35 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

That blonde mopped moron would nominate Pol Pot if he was still around .

Obama got it for wiping out Libya , don't think Donald has done quite enough yet ; 22 missiles into Syria is a good start , but a war with Iran would see him clinch it for sure .

Post #486756  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

The O'Leary thing is a little weird. What is it he actually does ? He's sat next to board members most games. Weird considering the way he disenfranchised himself with our fans

Anyone who watches the MLS knows it's not even championship level. choosing Vieira is a little mental but not as crazy as choosing Arteta.

O'Leary consciously created a hostile atmosphere between himself and Arsenal, largely I believe because the Man U job was coming up. As the brightest thing in the EPL managerial firmament at the time (he got Leeds to the SF of the Champions League), O'Leary clearly fancied his chances but knew they wouldn't offer it to him because he was so obviously an Arsenal man.

On the choice between Arteta and Vieira, my clear preference would be PV4 at the moment, but that doesn't mean I think he'd be particularly suitable. There must be better options but I have no real view on or feel for any of the other candidates who've been mentioned. I struggle to envisage an Italian manager since amongst all the nationalities we've seen turn out for us over the years, as far as I can recall we've never had an Italian player. Unlike Chelsea for instance, there's not a shred of Italian history or heritage at the club.

Post #486757  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 am 

Viera's name seemed to have been in the rumor mill because a reporter first asked Wenger I think. At least that's what I read and Wenger answered politely about Vieira, but what would one expect him to say? It was an uncomfortable situation even if he thought Vieira wasn't up to it.

Furthermore, if its true the board were looking to sack Wenger and had already started preliminary discussions on his replacement, how would Wenger be part of the selection committee when his decision to leave was because the thought he'd be sacked?

Basically, I don't think Wenger is part of the process. He may have been asked his opinion perhaps when he resigned but at the time of his announcement, I don't think he was part of the process.

I'm a little surprised Bould is not being mentioned since he would seem to have much more going for him than Arteta. Maybe its age and too close to Wenger and too ingrained in Wenger style of football and they want a departure.

Post #486758  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:58 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

O'Leary consciously created a hostile atmosphere between himself and Arsenal, largely I believe because the Man U job was coming up. As the brightest thing in the EPL managerial firmament at the time (he got Leeds to the SF of the Champions League), O'Leary clearly fancied his chances but knew they wouldn't offer it to him because he was so obviously an Arsenal man.

On the choice between Arteta and Vieira, my clear preference would be PV4 at the moment, but that doesn't mean I think he'd be particularly suitable. There must be better options but I have no real view on or feel for any of the other candidates who've been mentioned. I struggle to envisage an Italian manager since amongst all the nationalities we've seen turn out for us over the years, as far as I can recall we've never had an Italian player. Unlike Chelsea for instance, there's not a shred of Italian history or heritage at the club.

Arturo Lupoli? Peter Marinello sounds Italian.

Not sure if it matters there's no Italian link in the past there wasn't a strong French connection before Arsene. I like the idea of a hot headed Italian going absolutely crazy on the touchline each game. I could just imagine Allegri or Ancellotti screaming at Bellerin to stop playing centre forward whilst defending a single goal lead away from home.

Whoever it is the new guy will have his work cut out.

Post #486759  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Not sure if it matters there's no Italian link in the past there wasn't a strong French connection before Arsene. I like the idea of a hot headed Italian going absolutely crazy on the touchline each game. I could just imagine Allegri or Ancellotti screaming at Bellerin to stop playing centre forward whilst defending a single goal lead away from home.

Ah yes - Lupoli - one of a long line of 'the next big things' who never kicked on and disappeared without trace.

Peter Marinello wasn't just 'the next big thing' - he was the next George Best. Scottish, by the way who came to us from Hibs; we paid £100,000 which was then a Club record. I remember his spectacular debut, but he sort of fizzled out quite quickly thereafter.

Post #486760  Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ah yes - Lupoli - one of a long line of 'the next big things' who never kicked on and disappeared without trace.

Peter Marinello wasn't just 'the next big thing' - he was the next George Best. Scottish, by the way who came to us from Hibs; we paid £100,000 which was then a Club record. I remember his spectacular debut, but he sort of fizzled out quite quickly thereafter.

And not forgetting Niccolo Galli (RIP). A future captain of Arsenal and Italy, according to Wenger.

[ 571912 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12166, 12167, 12168, 12169, 12170, 12171, 12172 ... 14298  Next