Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 112 guests

Post #510041  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:10 pm 

Another aspect of frustration last night was the absolutely woeful shooting from any sort of long range. I can see why we don’t do it that often if it’s like that. It is a valid tactic against packed defences, it forces the defence/gk to do something rather than just constantly shuffle sideways and never have to engage with us.
Last night Xhaka, Pépé and lacazette all hit wild, really wild shots, I mean 20 yards high and wide. Compare our shooting accuracy to some other top players in the league, how often do you see the following make the gk make a save: Kane, son, salah, Mané, aguero, de Bruyne, Vardy.

Lampard made a living of hitting it hard and accurate and getting deflections for goals.

I can’t think of a single player in our team who I trust to hit the target with power regularly from outside the box. To not have a central midfielder capable of striking the ball from long range is awful. Xhaka is wild, torriera accurate but weak, Guendouzi never tries, Özil haha compare this to Henderson, Fernandinho, Rodri, McTominay!

Central midfield needs a complete shake up, pace and power need to be top of the list but some form of decent shooting is a must.

Post #510042  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:51 pm 

DHD wrote:
I don't like losing. Not at all. And I like a good moan when we do.

However I do not give the arse of a rat about the poxy Europa Cup, and I never have. I rate it lower than the League Cup, whatever that's called this week. In my view it is a pointless waste of time and energy.

Personally, I am quite content that we're out of it.

That’s fine I don’t like the competition either but it just feels a bit naff. We’re losing to Olympiakos now.

We have regressed so much under the American ownership. United as well, I couldn’t believe their starting line up the other night.

Post #510043  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:59 pm 

I'd love to see an all XI of players who 'almost came' to Arsenal. We'd be good enough to win the World Cup.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/david-vil ... enger-snub

Post #510044  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:01 pm 

...to piggy back on Lampard hitting it hard from distance and making a living of it. Gerrard as well. Even Scholes made a few doing it.

Post #510045  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wow DHD! Haha...Really?!. I'm sure you rated it when it was the old cup winners cup.

No it wasn't. It was the UEFA Cup and before that the Fairs Cup. Happy to help.

Post #510046  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:53 pm 

I heard or read somewhere that Olympiakos had lost 10/11 of their last away European matches. Always happy to help other clubs improve their records. A day later it doesn’t seem to be any more excusable as to our lack of endeavour.

Post #510047  Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Why would we want any of those players? None of them are better than what we have.

Well Mertens is certainly better than Lacazette at the moment. and if you can raise £40m selling Lacazette, replace him with a short term solution and use the money to better balance the team then these are the creative ways we have to think in the market.

We are not going to be able to spend our way out of this mess, we're also not going to be able to pick up 7 or 7 Martinelli's each transfer window.

Lallala/Gotze over Özil? I'm not saying go and sign all these players, we obviously want better but we need to be realistic and in order to get rid of players who have consistently underperformed and to enable us to spend money on quality where we need it we may need a few stop gap players

I rather see more of Martinelli, Nketiah, Saka, Willock and Emile Smith Rowe. We do need a commanding leader or two which is lacking in the team at the moment.

Post #510048  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 am 

11 games to go in the EPL. 7 very winnable games in amongst a couple of hard ones.

So what do people consider an appropriate return, that would suggest we are improving?

Post #510049  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Not just that that defence is poor, but our midfield is always so tentative. Özil, Ceballos and Xhaka cannot make fast attacking plays. They are always looking to pass sideways or back, especially Xhaka. You see the forward play from them only when it is backs to the wall time. Frustrating that this style of play continues from the Wenger days, through from Emery, Lundberg and now Arteta. We are just too slow in our attacking play. And Pépé is over-doing things. And his tricks and flicks are not working for us.

Hi gooner,

Totally agree with this. Tentative is the perfect word. Our central midfield never get any goals, they rarely shoot and when they do it is usually into Row Z. How many killer passes do they ever hit? Their passing is mostly short and sideways and slows the play right down.

I realise that goalscoring central midfielders are a scarce commodity but if they don't contribute at all it outs a huge burden on our attacking players to get goals.

People tell me that Xhaka has improved under Arteta, well maybe he has but it is from a low base and he is still not mobile enough for a club with aspirations to be a force again. Torreira is tenacious but seemingly too small and lightweight for the PL. Guendouzi has ability and potential but is very one paced, takes the easy option far too often and has very little defensive awareness. Willock has a great engine and is very box-to-box which allows him to get into goalscoring positions but needs to work on his passing and decision-making.

All-in-all, our central midfield lacks creativity, goals, pace and power.

Post #510050  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:49 am 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Not just that that defence is poor, but our midfield is always so tentative. Özil, Ceballos and Xhaka cannot make fast attacking plays. They are always looking to pass sideways or back, especially Xhaka. You see the forward play from them only when it is backs to the wall time. Frustrating that this style of play continues from the Wenger days, through from Emery, Lundberg and now Arteta. We are just too slow in our attacking play. And Pépé is over-doing things. And his tricks and flicks are not working for us.

Hi gooner,

Totally agree with this. Tentative is the perfect word. Our central midfield never get any goals, they rarely shoot and when they do it is usually into Row Z. How many killer passes do they ever hit? Their passing is mostly short and sideways and slows the play right down.

I realise that goalscoring central midfielders are a scarce commodity but if they don't contribute at all it outs a huge burden on our attacking players to get goals.

People tell me that Xhaka has improved under Arteta, well maybe he has but it is from a low base and he is still not mobile enough for a club with aspirations to be a force again. Torreira is tenacious but seemingly too small and lightweight for the PL. Guendouzi has ability and potential but is very one paced, takes the easy option far too often and has very little defensive awareness. Willock has a great engine and is very box-to-box which allows him to get into goalscoring positions but needs to work on his passing and decision-making.

All-in-all, our central midfield lacks creativity, goals, pace and power.

The real problem is Özil, though. Having a luxury no 10 (who doesn't produce goals and assists and too often passes sideways) puts the other two midfielders and by extension the defense under pressure.

Post #510051  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:54 am 

kiwipete wrote:
PS Welcome back to my good mate ; that simpering little leprechaun Johnny Boy ...

I heard you were seriously laid up because you got tangled up in the plough harness when the donkey bolted .

Donkeys in the rutting season can get very temperamental , unpredictable and ornery .

Hope things are well .

That sounds terrible! At least (judging from your reporting) John's virtue remains intact.

Post #510052  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta is totally and 100% incorrect:

"It hurts, big time," Arteta said.

"We had a lot of hope in this competition. It was a great way for us to be able to go to Europe and it is a very beautiful competition to try to win.

"I think we did a lot of positive things in the game. I think we created enough chances to win the game, but if you concede two set-pieces again in a tie like this, then you put yourself in big trouble."

Think we did a lot of positive things in the game... I call BS. Name them. It was not a game against Bayern/Barca/RM. Two evenly matched teams. Now that is a Greek tragedy in itself.

did he really say that? Gawd!

Post #510053  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
11 games to go in the EPL. 7 very winnable games in amongst a couple of hard ones.

So what do people consider an appropriate return, that would suggest we are improving?

I don’t see seven as particularly easy to win. My prediction is five wins, two draws and four defeats, as follows:

West Ham H - 3 points
Brighton A - 3 points
Southampton A - 1 point
Norwich H - 3 points
Wolverhampton A - 0 points
Manchester City A - 0 points
Leicester H - 1 point
Tottenham A - 0 points
Liverpool H - 0 points
Aston Villa A - 3 points
Watford H -3 points

Whether seventeen points from eleven games represents an appropriate return is debatable. Also, my predictions won’t all be right. But I don’t see Southampton away and Leicester home as very winnable if they are part of your seven.

Post #510054  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I don’t see seven as particularly easy to win. My prediction is five wins, two draws and four defeats, as follows:

West Ham H - 3 points
Brighton A - 3 points
Southampton A - 1 point
Norwich H - 3 points
Leicester H - 1 point
Tottenham A - 0 points
Liverpool H - 0 points
Aston Villa A - 3 points
Watford H -3 points

Whether seventeen points from eleven games represents an appropriate return is debatable. Also, my predictions won’t all be right. But I don’t see Southampton away and Leicester home as very winnable if they are part of your seven.

Given what we’ve seen so far this season I’d say that is pretty accurate prediction.
Optimistic would say win v Leicester, win v saints, draws away to wolves and spurs
Pessimistic would say draw away to Brighton, draw away to villa and drop a silly draw at home to either West Ham, watford or Norwich

Post #510055  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:00 am 

I've got no confidence of us winning a game home or away, how many points we will get in the run-in is anybody's guess.

I don't think we are good enough to put a big run together and goodness knows what will happen if Aubameyang gets injured or his goals dry up.

I'd be inclined to give the kids some games in the run-in but I guess that while there is still a chance of top four we can't afford to do that. Plus not finishing in a Europa spot would cost us millions as well, however much we deride the tournament.

The club feels broken and I think many fans do to.

It's early days in Arteta's reign but already I am seeing things that just unnerve me a little bit, some of his team selections and especially his substitutions have been questionable (the choices and timing).

Does Bellerin really deserve to start ahead of AMN, I think that one crucial goal apart he's been pretty awful and looks either unfit or has lost some pace after his injury (hopefully the former). Not that AMN is in any way a great RB.

Does Özil really deserve to start given his lack of goals and assists and the fact that he tends to occupy the same space as Pépé.

Let's get real, Arteta may have been a great coach at City but how many great coaches have made great managers? It's a whole different ball game, excuse the pun.

Despite my unease I won't begin to really judge him until I see what he does in the summer and in the 1st half of next season. By then we should get a feel for his managerial capabilities.

Post #510056  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am 

socrates wrote:
I've got no confidence of us winning a game home or away, how many points we will get in the run-in is anybody's guess.

Post #510057  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:09 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

West Ham H - 3 points
Brighton A - 3 points
Southampton A - 1 point
Norwich H - 3 points
Leicester H - 1 point
Tottenham A - 0 points
Liverpool H - 0 points
Aston Villa A - 3 points
Watford H -3 points

Given what we’ve seen so far this season I’d say that is pretty accurate prediction.
Optimistic would say win v Leicester, win v saints, draws away to wolves and spurs
Pessimistic would say draw away to Brighton, draw away to villa and drop a silly draw at home to either West Ham, watford or Norwich

I think you’re optimistic and pessimistic viewpoints make sense. But another thing that has to be remembered is that on paper our easiest games are against West Ham, Brighton, Norwich, Aston Villa and Watford.

But they’re all likely to be fighting relegation (unless Villa and Watford have gone before we play them). So as an overall group, why they represent some of the worst teams in the league (I would add Bournemouth to that list but we don’t have to play them again), they’re probably not going to roll over and let us beat them.

Post #510058  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:24 pm 

socrates wrote:

I don't think we are good enough to put a big run together and goodness knows what will happen if Aubameyang gets injured or his goals dry up.

I'd be inclined to give the kids some games in the run-in but I guess that while there is still a chance of top four we can't afford to do that. Plus not finishing in a Europa spot would cost us millions as well, however much we deride the tournament.

The club feels broken and I think many fans do to.

It's early days in Arteta's reign but already I am seeing things that just unnerve me a little bit, some of his team selections and especially his substitutions have been questionable (the choices and timing).

Does Bellerin really deserve to start ahead of AMN, I think that one crucial goal apart he's been pretty awful and looks either unfit or has lost some pace after his injury (hopefully the former). Not that AMN is in any way a great RB.

Does Özil really deserve to start given his lack of goals and assists and the fact that he tends to occupy the same space as Pépé.

Let's get real, Arteta may have been a great coach at City but how many great coaches have made great managers? It's a whole different ball game, excuse the pun.

I think on Arteta he’s in for a bit of a hiding. He’s doing a good job but the only way we get out of the mess we are in is through business not coaching. We have far too many average players on big deals we can’t shift. I just think it’s a very average looking team right now. Arteta kind of needs the help of the board and owner to restructure,

On Bellerin I’d say I don’t think both he and Holding have looked right since they came back from their cruciate injuries.Neither looks mobile at all. We need a new right back so we can rotate a bit and provide competition.

Right now it just feels like we are so adrift and our decline is obvious.

Post #510059  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 pm 

Palace with a good away win. For those Londoners who were around in the '70s, and had some knowledge of Palace, it's been said today's opposition, Brighton and Hove were their biggest rivals in the mid 70s in the lower divisions. I wonder if they still are seen as a rival? Despite not being a local derby.

Post #510060  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:25 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arsenal-po ... 06462.html
Arsenal posts loss as Champions League absence felt

Post #510061  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm 

Darn it, just switched to the Chelsea match and they scored. :36angers: Hoping Bournemouth comes back.

Post #510062  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 pm 

If we're going to do anything in the league then the next few games are critical, especially considering the other fixtures. Going to be lots of dropped points, we have to take advantage.
No game for us this week but it is,
Everton v Man U
Spurs v Wolves
a pair of draws would be nice

March 7
Arsenal v West Ham
Chelsea v Everton
Man U v City
Burnley v Spurs

March 14
Brighton v Arsenal
Spurs v Man U

March 21
Southampton v Arsenal
Chelsea v Man City
Man U v Sheff utd

Post #510063  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 pm 

Who is Liverpool playing? :1laughter: haha

Post #510064  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:11 pm 

The AG lucky charm continues for Bournemouth :42laughter: Good equalizer.

Post #510065  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 pm 

DHD wrote:
I don't like losing. Not at all. And I like a good moan when we do.

However I do not give the arse of a rat about the poxy Europa Cup, and I never have. I rate it lower than the League Cup, whatever that's called this week. In my view it is a pointless waste of time and energy.

Personally, I am quite content that we're out of it.

Except that is a fairly ridiculous view to hold given the winner of the Europa League qualifies or the CL so it is patently higher than the League Cup.

Post #510066  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:51 pm 

Looking at Liverpool and seeing what they do with the ball in the same area we have it in the oppositions third with generally players dispersed approximately in the same areas, they don't make more than 3 or 4 passes sideways before they try to get into the box or take a shot from distance.

Post #510067  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:18 pm 

C'mon Watford, keep tit 0-0 for the half.

Post #510068  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:32 pm 

I'm watching an NBC SN advert on the EPL and they show clips over the years and the then 16 year old Wayne Rooney's winner against us. I've been a fan long enough to now to have watched players from their earliest days through the end of their careers. Only the American sports afforded me that.

Rooney was destined to be a great player but I wonder how it would have worked out if he hadn't had made that goal. I still remember it very well. Still hurts to see it.

Post #510069  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:53 pm 

I can't bare to watch the Watford v Liverpool game. I'm so nervous.

Post #510070  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm 

Come to think of it, Wenger is probably as nervous as I am. It's his marquee accomplishment as well.

Post #510071  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:07 pm 

Every time I change the channel because I can't bare to watch, Watford scores. :58big-emoticons:

Post #510072  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:21 pm 

90th minute, 3-0 up, 4 minutes stoppage and I'm still nervous.

Post #510073  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:27 pm 

I will toot my own horn. I did say if Liverpool lost it would be a lower half of the table side away from home where they over look and would be a 0-0 game where they get scored on later in the game and get countered.

If I were Klopp, I'd tell them they are fantastic. That for them to go this long without a loss or a draw is more than he or they could have ever imagined. To keep their heads up held up high. That he is not angry or upset. In fact, the loss should liberate them.

And the LFC away fans should applaud them off the pitch. Not for the loss but how much they have achieved.

Post #510074  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:28 pm 

:22encouragement: :21encouragement: :22encouragement:

Post #510075  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm 

Watford were singing "Can we play you every week"...haha...cheeky b@stards. Wenger and the invincible squad are having a sigh of relief right now. Fabregas is smiling to himself right now.

Post #510076  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm 

And so Liverpool go back to zero in an attempt to beat our 49 game unbeaten run!

Post #510077  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm 

I was resigned to Liverpool going unbeaten. In fact I was surprisingly relaxed about it as they started to win game after game after game as Liverpool's run has been unprecedented.

But I'm happy our record is intact for another season.

Post #510078  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Why would you take your clothes off?

Post #510079  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:33 pm 

Post #510080  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Why would you take your clothes off?

I'm rather proud of my body. I have pics I can post. Others can PM me if they are shy :1laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12749, 12750, 12751, 12752, 12753, 12754, 12755 ... 14269  Next