Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Rich, warrior and 165 guests

Post #515881  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 pm 

Darren wrote:
Martinez gone. £20m and 4 year deal. Villa have a good keeper and we have some money towards our midfield.

And towards a replacement number 2 keeper?

Post #515882  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:49 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:
Martinez gone. £20m and 4 year deal. Villa have a good keeper and we have some money towards our midfield.

And towards a replacement number 2 keeper?

Seen us linked with an Icelandic GK from Dijon for a very low fee £2m or so.

Raja is rumoured to cost £10m+. Depends how much of a risk we want to take in order to secure our first choice midfield target(s)

Post #515883  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 pm 

Everton should be 1-0 up v spurs. Richarlison goes round the GK, tight angle and a defender covering the line and he shoots wild and high - but standing completely free in the 6 yard box is Calvert-Lewin, a simple square pass from Richarlison and he taps it in an empty net - get your head up!

Post #515884  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:42 pm 

Spuds 0 Everton 1

Final score. Expecting Everton to have a good season, and hopefully the exact opposite for Maureen's boys.

Post #515885  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 pm 

:42laughter: Spurs lose :1laughter:
:21encouragement:

Post #515886  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:25 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Sometimes, just sometimes, we are in total agreement.

Post #515887  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Fans in meltdown on TalkShite :1laughter:

Post #515888  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Anyone seen the new Christopher Nolan movie ?

Thought he over cooked it personally but a good watch never the less.

The trailers look good. I quite fancy it.

But, sadly, it will be a long time before I would attend a cinema.

I'm sorry to hear this mate

I Understand the feeling and know where you are. I'm probably reckless a little in as much as I've never been to concerned about my health. Recently I learned I'm not indestructible

We will get through this I promise

Post #515889  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:21 pm 

C - Chelsea
I - Inter Milan
R - Real Madrid
C - Chelsea
U - United
S - Spurs

Ladies and Gents.... Jose Mourinho

Pinched from BBC, I thought it was funny anyway.

Post #515890  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Recently I learned I'm not indestructible

Me too.

Good luck with yours.

Post #515891  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ok I’m reminding you of this one dude when it happens :laughing7:

Even the BT pundits today said it was going to happen. Also when Leno needs to get rested “why the F did we let Martinez go!” Etc etc

Maybe Ash himself will now feel obliged to keep quiet about the next Leno boo boo. But he’s not the only possible candidate.

I will feel obliged to do nothing cheeky sod, if an Arsenal footballer makes a mistake for Arsenal he may get criticised on the Gleiber forum, and I might even criticise him myself, feels par for the course. If Leno makes the odd mistake what I will not be doing, and neither I’d wager will anyone else be, is pining for Martinez. Although I might if only to wind you up. Fair warning.

Post #515892  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Saw it Friday, bizarre to be so spaced out with compulsory mask wearing after being in the pub, which was a zoo.

Found the film slightly frustrating viewing, apart from the “mind blowingness”, which I’m not sure about at all, it seemed beset with what I call grim acting, everyone fairly emotionless and being all gruff. Although that’s a bit Nolan. Had me talking about the film and thinking about it afterwards so perhaps thought provoking at least.

Post #515893  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
C - Chelsea
I - Inter Milan
R - Real Madrid
C - Chelsea
U - United
S - Spurs

Ladies and Gents.... Jose Mourinho

Pinched from BBC, I thought it was funny anyway.

Bet Mourhino misses those summer club tours he took to LA. :1laughter:

Post #515894  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Saw it Friday, bizarre to be so spaced out with compulsory mask wearing after being in the pub, which was a zoo.

Found the film slightly frustrating viewing, apart from the “mind blowingness”, which I’m not sure about at all, it seemed beset with what I call grim acting, everyone fairly emotionless and being all gruff. Although that’s a bit Nolan. Had me talking about the film and thinking about it afterwards so perhaps thought provoking at least.

Haha yeah this is similar to my experience, the pre film pint went slightly adrift as I didn’t feel encouraged to walk into a weatherspoons packed with people not distancing and went round the corner instead

You’ve nailed the film too, its overcooked this time with too much moody dialogue. I think Nolan is brilliant and Dunkirk very good but this was more Emery than Arteta I felt

Post #515895  Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:43 pm 

Speaking of LA, tonight is Kroenke's LA Rams v Dallas Cowboys game at his new $5B Sofi stadium showpiece. Stan just did a ribbon cutting to open the stadium this past Tuesday. Game to be played behind closed doors, no fans. Only media and certain NFL personnel, as well as Stan's ally, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to attend.

Post #515896  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 am 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Most, if not all of us hated Leeds when they were in the top flight and probably took pleasure seeing them implode. But I gotta admit I was hoping they made it back to the PL. Chastened, phoenix from the ashes.

Many of us will have hated them since well before then. The brand of anti-football of Don Revie introduced us sticks long in the mind.
A team of two faces back then? Mostly teamwork and skill of the highest order, but sometimes the most cynical outfit ever seen in top level English football.

Post #515897  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 am 

Darren wrote:

All the best to him, except when they play Arsenal

Post #515898  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 am 

Good to see Spurs lose

Post #515899  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Good to see Spurs lose

They are missing Eriksen I guess. James to Everton may be a masterstroke by Ancelotti. Allan and Doucoure are good additions as well.

Post #515900  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:36 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Maybe Ash himself will now feel obliged to keep quiet about the next Leno boo boo. But he’s not the only possible candidate.

I will feel obliged to do nothing cheeky sod, if an Arsenal footballer makes a mistake for Arsenal he may get criticised on the Gleiber forum, and I might even criticise him myself, feels par for the course. If Leno makes the odd mistake what I will not be doing, and neither I’d wager will anyone else be, is pining for Martinez. Although I might if only to wind you up. Fair warning.

Good on you Ash. I will not give the same undertaking. It will depend on the mistake and how crucial it is. Down the track Leno gets injured it might get very interesting at our club.

Post #515901  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 am 

Ash wrote:
If Leno makes the odd mistake what I will not be doing, and neither I’d wager will anyone else.

Having just read the last post by Gaz from Oz, are you sure about the ‘neither I’d wager will anyone else’ comment?

Post #515902  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 am 

Arsenal.com are saying that It’s hoped Martinelli can return to full training by the end of the calendar year. So I guess he won’t be playing until January at the earliest, more likely February. That’s a long injury.

Post #515903  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
If Leno makes the odd mistake what I will not be doing, and neither I’d wager will anyone else.

Having just read the last post by Gaz from Oz, are you sure about the ‘neither I’d wager will anyone else’ comment?

Well obviously Gaz was always going to be an anomaly... :laughing7:

Post #515904  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

Good on you Ash. I will not give the same undertaking. It will depend on the mistake and how crucial it is. Down the track Leno gets injured it might get very interesting at our club.

Not sure what else the club was supposed to do in this situation. If Martinez wanted an assurance that he was going to be No.1 and Arteta wasn't prepared to give him that assurance, he was always going to leave. In an ideal world it would be great if he'd stayed and we had two top drawer goalkeepers in the event of one of them getting injured, but that was never going to happen. All Arteta can do now is use some of the Martinez money to sign a competent goalie who is prepared to be No.2 to Leno.

Post #515905  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
Arsenal.com are saying that It’s hoped Martinelli can return to full training by the end of the calendar year. So I guess he won’t be playing until January at the earliest, more likely February. That’s a long injury.

Always worrying when a youngster gets an injury that keeps him out for so long.

Post #515906  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 am 

Neymar makes racism allegation as PSG's game against Marseille ends with brawl and five red cards

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/14/foot ... index.html

Post #515907  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Absolutely, bit worrying. What will that be 6 months? A fair few what-could-have-been Wilshere stories out there, but Serge Gnabry gives me a bit of hope.

Post #515908  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 pm 

tomc wrote:
Not sure what else the club was supposed to do in this situation. If Martinez wanted an assurance that he was going to be No.1 and Arteta wasn't prepared to give him that assurance, he was always going to leave. In an ideal world it would be great if he'd stayed and we had two top drawer goalkeepers in the event of one of them getting injured, but that was never going to happen. All Arteta can do now is use some of the Martinez money to sign a competent goalie who is prepared to be No.2 to Leno.

Yes, I agree. At his age Martinez wanting to be first choice is completely understandable, so if that guarantee can't be met then best for all concerned that he takes the next step in his career at a good club, which Villa is. If we are honest, until he came in for the injured Leno and did well, there were very few fans or pundits suggesting Martinez was vital to our future. Anyway, if he improves even more in his next move, there is still a chance for him to return to us one day. His connection with Arsenal is a strong one.

Post #515909  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Many of us will have hated them since well before then. The brand of anti-football of Don Revie introduced us sticks long in the mind.
A team of two faces back then? Mostly teamwork and skill of the highest order, but sometimes the most cynical outfit ever seen in top level English football.

During the lock down I looked at a lot of clubs playing late 60s into the '70s. I specifically looked at the Leeds side in the early to mid 70s and some matches they were class, powerful but skillful. Then a few matches, and it seemed to be against sides that could match them in skill (Liverpool, and others) they got stuck in early and often. The referee seemed to expect it and some things that would have been a sending off or a yellow now were a free kick. Nasty game at times in some of those old clips.

Maybe I have them pegged wrong but the games I saw it seemed like if they could outclass you they could and if they couldn't they'd kick you and with their skill get a goal and get stuck in so you don't equalize. Maybe I'm being too simplistic. The Revie/Clough interview was surreal.

Post #515910  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 pm 

So, Rams playing in the house The Arsenal built, eh? :42laughter:
Joking obviously, but I saw it while it was being erected. Looked awe inspiring to be honest. Massive project.

Post #515911  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
During the lock down I looked at a lot of clubs playing late 60s into the '70s. I specifically looked at the Leeds side in the early to mid 70s and some matches they were class, powerful but skillful. Then a few matches, and it seemed to be against sides that could match them in skill (Liverpool, and others) they got stuck in early and often. The referee seemed to expect it and some things that would have been a sending off or a yellow now were a free kick. Nasty game at times in some of those old clips.

Maybe I have them pegged wrong but the games I saw it seemed like if they could outclass you they could and if they couldn't they'd kick you and with their skill get a goal and get stuck in so you don't equalize. Maybe I'm being too simplistic. The Revie/Clough interview was surreal.
They could play any team off the park, and often did, but as you say were not afraid to put the boot in. The clashes with us, Everton, United and Chelsea in the Revie years were just that - volcanic. They had a "no one likes us but we don't care" attitude. A key factor was the desire to make it amongst the big boys - for most of their history they had been a second division club. Revie's achievement was astonishing, something that is easily overlooked due to his methods. Ironically he was a stylish rather than aggressive player himself!

Post #515912  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:09 pm 

Ash wrote:
john1 wrote:

Absolutely, bit worrying. What will that be 6 months? A fair few what-could-have-been Wilshere stories out there, but Serge Gnabry gives me a bit of hope.

After all, Martinelli did have surgery. Can't expect him back that soon.

Post #515913  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, Rams playing in the house The Arsenal built, eh? :42laughter:
Joking obviously, but I saw it while it was being erected. Looked awe inspiring to be honest. Massive project.

Rams won
:8surprise:

Post #515914  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm 

Hello everyone,

I am new here, but a long time reader.

Post #515915  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:39 pm 

Christian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hello. Hope you enjoy participating here.

Post #515916  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Christian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hello. Hope you enjoy participating here.

Thank you. It really is a good forum.

Post #515917  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Currently making my famous Top Gun chicken, leek and mushroom pie for the kids. Listening to music whilst making it and I’ve put on Led Zeppelin IV album on.

I’m not the biggest rock n roll fan in the world and I’m not actually a massive zeppelin fan either but it’s surely a contender for the greatest music album of all time.

It seems a showcase for musical talent and people determined to show the breadth of their own musical talent. No track sounds similar, complete comfort in changing musical variety, percussions and product. Possibly the greatest of all time

What a trip. Which led me to this ... possibly my favourite disc from that or any era. The percussion fills when Carlos is doing his thing are just delicious, especially in Oye Como Va.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnKyrekzok&t=816s

Post #515918  Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 pm 

Ha! No investment...no surprise at all.

https://www-football-london.cdn.ampproj ... a-18930562

Post #515919  Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 am 

Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson looks like the GK to replace Martinez, very low fee £1.5m. He's worked with our GK coach before so you'd think that he had a big say in this.

Post #515920  Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 am 

Interesting to see where Saka fits in the team at the moment. AMN ahead of him at LWB, and Tierney you would assume is also ahead of him in that position. Aubameyang has left wing sealed, and he has Pépé and Willian on the right wing.
Is Saka a victim of his versatility? Similar to AMN. Potentially our strongest 11 doesn't have either of them in it. Real competition for places in defence and attack.

If we can get one of Partey or Aouar that makes us pretty competitive and have decent squad depth all over the pitch. I'd love to get both but I can't see where the money will come from. Sokratis and Torreira sales should add £30m to the pot, add in the £20m from Martinez and that will get you one of those star midfielders with some wages left in the bank by removing 3 and getting in 1. If only we could also sell Guendouzi for £30m and shift Özil's £18m wages off the book and move on Kolasinac for £5-10m you could start to see how we might be able to get the other central mid.

We do have a huge squad, and even as it stands I struggle to see how players like Chambers, Willock, Nelson, Smith-Rowe get many minutes

[ 571924 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12895, 12896, 12897, 12898, 12899, 12900, 12901 ... 14299  Next