Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 102 guests

Post #510601  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The FA are usually not a favourite of mine but let me congratulate them on the decision not to play the Man City game. It was the correct decision in hindsight. If it prevents even the potential of players from another team being compromised it was a good decision.

Estimated that 1/4 Australians will get it. Everything will simply come to a halt. I would think the UK would expect the same if not worse. A wish for all those on the forum - may you and your loved ones survive these tough times.

Angela Merkel is quoted as saying that the expectation is for around 80% of Germans to get the virus.

Post #510602  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 am 

Greeny wrote:
In fact words almost fail me thinking about you, American Gooner.
What you don't understand is that you are the troll, you stupid man.

Hello Greeny

Exactly - American spends a good amount of his time on here 'trolling' which is ironic to say the least given his regular bleating about being a 'victim' himself. And yes, his post on Xhaka and Mustafi was the kind of thing you expect on the wild west of Twitter rather than on here.

However, I will not be leaving the forum because of this idiot.

I see Hudson-Odoi of Chelsea has now tested positive. Agree with other posters that drastic action now needs to be taken similar to that in China, although it may well be too late, as it's been estimated that here in the UK 10,000 may be infected despite only a few hundred being confirmed.

Stay safe everybody.

Post #510603  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The FA are usually not a favourite of mine but let me congratulate them on the decision not to play the Man City game. It was the correct decision in hindsight. If it prevents even the potential of players from another team being compromised it was a good decision.

Estimated that 1/4 Australians will get it. Everything will simply come to a halt. I would think the UK would expect the same if not worse. A wish for all those on the forum - may you and your loved ones survive these tough times.

Angela Merkel is quoted as saying that the expectation is for around 80% of Germans to get the virus.

Absolutely impossible for health authorities to deal with those numbers. Would not like to be in a position where you have to chose which person more deserves a hospital bed.

Post #510604  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:13 am 

All Champions league and Europa league ties next week now off.
Everton and Watford squads self isolating.
Premier league chief execs currently in conference.

Post #510605  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:36 am 

There has never been transparency out of China. All their economic numbers are what they say it is and you have to do some forensic accounting to get an idea of what the true numbers are as they keep 2 sets of books.
The same I believe about their reports on the numbers affected and died. It's much, much worse than whatever stats they give.

Their ambassador, I think, tried to deflect blame to the U.S. military. Saying anything to maintain the veneer of power.

I'd rather err on the side of caution. No one in the media is talking about the fear or possibility of martial law and other violations of civil and private rights if it gets bad enough. You do what you can to stop the spread but you MUST balance it with as much adherence to personal freedoms. This is just the type of event why you vote carefully. God forbid you get someone like Trump who's ONLY concern is re-election literally no matter the cost.

Post #510606  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 am 

The English Football League is suspending all fixtures until April 3.

Edit: all professional football in England suspended until April 3 at the earliest.

Post #510607  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:44 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
The English Football League is suspending all fixtures until April 3.

Edit: all professional football in England suspended until April 3 at the earliest.

With the European Nation’s Cup (ENC) this summer, it doesn’t leave long to complete all league fixtures. If there’s another suspension beyond 3rd April it’ll make the fixture list round the Christmas and Boxing Day period look like a picnic. Unless the ENC is suspended as well.

Post #510608  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:14 pm 

We are weeks away from the peak of this outbreak and months away from the all-clear. This season is over. Euros, Olympics and Test Cricket are highly unlikely to happen.

Smell the coffee, people.

Post #510609  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 pm 

DHD wrote:
We are weeks away from the peak of this outbreak and months away from the all-clear. This season is over. Euros, Olympics and Test Cricket are highly unlikely to happen.

Smell the coffee, people.

I agree - This is really major. I don't believe there will ever really be an all-clear for quite some time tbh.

Post #510610  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:36 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Absolutely impossible for health authorities to deal with those numbers. Would not like to be in a position where you have to chose which person more deserves a hospital bed.

Definitely a tough decision

American Gooner, Exiled, Bubblechris

One gets a hospital bed, one gets the hallway and the remaining one has to be let go.

Your decision, You pick ?

Post #510611  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Definitely a tough decision

American Gooner, Exiled, Bubblechris

One gets a hospital bed, one gets the hallway and the remaining one has to be let go.

Your decision, You pick ?

Anywhere where you are not suits me down to the ground.........................

Post #510612  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 pm 

As far as I am concerned the sooner we all get it the better. Instead of wrecking the world let it spread naturally and it will soon pass.

ALTERNATIVELY AS THE REMAINERS OF THIS WORLD THINK WE ARE DOOMED ANYWAY HOW ABOUT THEY VOLUNTEER TO BE TEST DUMMIES
:42laughter:

Post #510613  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:31 pm 

Bournemouth latest club to confirm they are self-isolating

Bournemouth have confirmed that five of its employees are currently self-isolating, having displayed symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

Post #510614  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm 

Darren wrote:
Don’t ban AG. He may annoy some of you but just ignore if that’s the case. There have been far worse individuals on here than AG over the years.

Er..ah..thanks? I think? haha....common sense would dictate just ignore.
PS: It has nothing to do with my posts, just being here is a trigger for some. It's far more personal to them. The fact I won't read the insults is a further trigger. Most have been trolling literally for several years! We are entering 'see a therapist' territory when it becomes that bad.

No worries.

Post #510615  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:59 pm 

Looking back while I was in LA over the holidays I had what I now think were the symptoms according to the data but it could just have been the common cold or flu and I'm being an hypochondriac.

Dry cough being the one thing that makes go hmmmm? It was persistent and no matter what I did it wouldn't go away, including my 'flu busting' remedy of ginger, lemon and honey tea.

All other economic crashes in modern history was always due to either 1. some bubble or another popping such as housing bubble, currency devaluation, etc. or 2. war

This is a totally different animal. This has the potential to change how we engage our neighbors socio-culturally.
If you are on a bus or train and have the flu or a cold and are sneezing, will the people force you off the transport. This could happen in areas that eventually get hit hard enough. If you are in the cinema and sneeze or cough persistently, will you be asked (more like told) to leave? If you are in a cab or uber and cough persistently? Churches, synagogues, mosques? How will they deal with it? These days places of worship are elderly weighted.

:1laughter: All public spaces become a 'war zone' of sorts. How do they sort out prisons? In America we have the biggest population in the world (China has yet to surpass us there. :1laughter: ). The interaction between new prison arrivals, and paroled inmates, interaction with correctional officers who cavity search prisoners routinely.

Dating? Tinder, bumble, match.com how does this affect romantic pursuits? How will it mutate? Other demographic niches may now be get more cases and deaths.

We have all seen tons of movies about things like this but obviously in a far, far worse situation in cinema. Not to sound alarmist but one can't help thinking of those movies and the potential fall out. The economic fall out is bad enough, but like all financial crashes before, you know eventually it will come to pass. This new health component exasperates a come back.

Strange times indeed.

Post #510616  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Looking back while I was in LA over the holidays I had what I now think were the symptoms according to the data but it could just have been the common cold or flu and I'm being an hypochondriac.

Dating? Tinder, bumble, match.com how does this affect romantic pursuits? How will it mutate? Other demographic niches may now be get more cases and deaths.

Out of the mates i’ve got who use Tinder right now I’d venture to suggest all of them seem little concerned about catching diseases at the best of times :laughing7:

As for the rest of the post you raised some interesting points and it’s definitely one to file in the “maybe he’s not a complete nutter” column

Post #510617  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm 

...in addition, my best friend in grade school became my best friend because he was severely bullied. I will not ever, ever, give in to bullies and be bullied off here. Ever. The irony is that if their child endured the same online trolling from classmates they would be speaking to the headmaster about it.
I'm made of sterner stuff.

Someone left me off the soapbox. :42laughter:

Post #510618  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...in addition, my best friend in grade school became my best friend because he was severely bullied. I will not ever, ever, give in to bullies and be bullied off here. Ever. The irony is that if their child endured the same online trolling from classmates they would be speaking to the headmaster about it.

,..... aaaand normal service is resumed.

Post #510619  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 pm 

:58big-emoticons:

Post #510620  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm 

I'm not debating the decision to suspend matches and if things get worse, hopefully not, the season is altered some how. Lives are at stake. It's "only" a game. That said, you have to feel for Liverpool. Historic title run, 30 years in the making and its done in the highest fashion and its marred.

I shouldn't as a gooner but I like them. Might have been my side at one time (with Palace). Not that I'm not happy with my choice. As the saying goes, your club chooses you. The Arsenal has made my adult given my adult life a second childhood of which I can't thank the football gods more. All the ups and downs of supporting this club and it has been more ups than downs. Which makes us luckier than the vast amount of supporters.

Post #510621  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm not debating the decision to suspend matches and if things get worse, hopefully not, the season is altered some how. Lives are at stake. It's "only" a game. That said, you have to feel for Liverpool. Historic title run, 30 years in the making and its done in the highest fashion and its marred.

I shouldn't as a gooner but I like them. Might have been my side at one time (with Palace). Not that I'm not happy with my choice. As the saying goes, your club chooses you. The Arsenal has made my adult given my adult life a second childhood of which I can't thank the football gods more. All the ups and downs of supporting this club and it has been more ups than downs. Which makes us luckier than the vast amount of supporters.

Yawn.

Post #510622  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:47 pm 

A few people have commented that it's getting real in response to the suggestion that COVID 19 is being over-hyped.

Here's my current version of real.....I sat next to a work colleague for 30mins at a meeting on Wednesday. I came into work yesterday morning to learn that she was now self-isolating and waiting to be tested because her partner tested positive on Wednesday evening.

My 92 year old father suffered a mild stroke 3 weeks ago. He is back in his own house this week. I am his only proper family support. I have to now try my best to apply the contact guidelines but obviously have to keep calling to him. If he contracts COVID19, he is unlikely to survive it.

Still, probably best to let it all pass naturally rather than wrecking the world. *%^@*** hell.

Post #510623  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm 

dec wrote:
A few people have commented that it's getting real in response to the suggestion that COVID 19 is being over-hyped.

Here's my current version of real.....I sat next to a work colleague for 30mins at a meeting on Wednesday. I came into work yesterday morning to learn that she was now self-isolating and waiting to be tested because her partner tested positive on Wednesday evening.

My 92 year old father suffered a mild stroke 3 weeks ago. He is back in his own house this week. I am his only proper family support. I have to now try my best to apply the contact guidelines but obviously have to keep calling to him. If he contracts COVID19, he is unlikely to survive it.

Still, probably best to let it all pass naturally rather than wrecking the world. *%^@*** hell.

Best wishes to you and your dad, Dec. It's getting a bit frightening.

Post #510624  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 pm 

Best wishes to your father dec.

Post #510625  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

,..... aaaand normal service is resumed.

Could someone be hasn’t blocked tell him the big majority of his posts are ignored. So why is that bullying? Sounds more like him wanting to act like a victim, even though he’s not.

Post #510626  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:06 pm 

Darren wrote:
Don’t ban AG. He may annoy some of you but just ignore if that’s the case. There have been far worse individuals on here than AG over the years.

Like who?

Post #510627  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:27 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p086hj ... PNoFevfIHs

This is about 6 minutes long. Someone with actual credentials saying some of what the plans might be and what we know. Which is not very much.

I’m so sorry for your situation Dec.

Post #510628  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 pm 

dec wrote:

Good luck to you and your father. Just got up here in Aus and I have a runny nose but no other symptoms. But this often happens with my sinus problems. But I won't visit my 90yo mother in the nursing home this weekend and will contact my mate who I was meeting for coffee. His sister lives with him and has cancer. Make him aware that I probably have the usual sinus problem that I have had for about 10 years but I need to make him aware in case he wants to cancel.

The sooner the FA make the call and cancel the season the better I believe.

Post #510629  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

It’s hard to see how any other outcome is possible. I listen to Talksport and they were discussing this. Someone argued that the season should be completed by playing games behind closed doors. But each club will take significant numbers of people to games including players (including those who won’t play), managers, coaches, medical and physio staff and no doubt others. That could add up to loads. There will be telly crew and media as well. Club directors will be there as well. Any number of whom could already have it.

Maybe the season has to be cancelled. Bad luck for Liverpool and bloody lucky for Norwich and Bournemouth. But what else can be done? Who do you choose to go in the Champions League because any number have a realistic chance including Arsenal?

Unless you just accept everyone is going to catch it and just carry on shopping, working and doing countless other daily activities including going to mass attendance events. The huge majority including Arteta will live. Sadly a number will die earlier than they otherwise would. Do we have to accept it?

Post #510630  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It’s hard to see how any other outcome is possible. I listen to Talksport and they were discussing this. Someone argued that the season should be completed by playing games behind closed doors. But each club will take significant numbers of people to games including players (including those who won’t play), managers, coaches, medical and physio staff and no doubt others. That could add up to loads. There will be telly crew and media as well. Club directors will be there as well. Any number of whom could already have it.

Maybe the season has to be cancelled. Bad luck for Liverpool and bloody lucky for Norwich and Bournemouth. But what else can be done? Who do you choose to go in the Champions League because any number have a realistic chance including Arsenal?

Unless you just accept everyone is going to catch it and just carry on shopping, working and doing countless other daily activities including going to mass attendance events. The huge majority including Arteta will live. Sadly a number will die earlier than they otherwise would. Do we have to accept it?

Surely you can’t just shrug your shoulders and say oh well we can’t stop people dying so back on for all sporting events and that’s life. Your talking about killing 200,000 people. Souls, parents, grandparents. That’s an unacceptable loss, an effort of trying to prevent the spread surely had to be put in place. *%^@ the football, seriously *%^@ it.

The argument againest this Herd Immunity suggestion

https://twitter.com/channel4news/status ... 94240?s=21

Post #510631  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Surely you can’t just shrug your shoulders and say oh well we can’t stop people dying so back on for all sporting events and that’s life. Your talking about killing 200,000 people. Souls, parents, grandparents. That’s an unacceptable loss, an effort of trying to prevent the spread surely had to be put in place. *%^@ the football, seriously *%^@ it.

I would rather the season be cancelled. But stopping people going to football matches isn’t going to stop the spread of the virus. Football is a side issue that you shouldn’t overemphasise the importance of.

People have to shop to get the food to stay alive, and they have to work so they can afford to buy the food to keep them alive. That routinely involves coming into contact with other people. It does for me, my wife, my children, and the huge majority of people. Don’t get diverted by the ‘should football be played with no fans in the ground’ question. It’s a side issue.

I think it’s tragic a small minority of people will die earlier than they would otherwise have done. But playing games behind closed doors will not stop that.

Post #510632  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I would rather the season be cancelled. But stopping people going to football matches isn’t going to stop the spread of the virus. Football is a side issue that you shouldn’t overemphasise the importance of.

People have to shop to get the food to stay alive, and they have to work so they can afford to buy the food to keep them alive. Don’t get diverted by the should football be played with no fans in the ground. It’s a side issue.

I think it’s tragic a small minority of people will die earlier than they would otherwise have done. But playing games behind closed doors will not stop that.

Isolation stops the spread. As much of it as possible. If you have 60 thousand people mingling and integrating in a small area of course you are enabling the spread of the virus.

Your right closed doors still enables the spread of the virus but on a much smaller level, probably a good few hundred rather than thousands. You can’t stop people buying food and essentials but there are measures to reduce exposure that have been ignored.

To achieve herd immunity you need to infect 60% of the population, that means putting around 5 million in hospital to be treated and killing 200 to 400 thousand people.

Post #510633  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 pm 

Whatever anybody thinks, football is cancelled until April 3 at the earliest, and almost certainly for longer. I am also reading that we should expect the government to ban mass gatherings very soon, early next week probably. All we can do is try to take the advice given, and keep the inevitable number of new cases each day as low as possible.
It's uncharted territory obviously, and while everyone has an opinion, none of us know how this is going to play out. I certainly fear for my elderly parents.

Post #510634  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Isolation stops the spread. As much of it as possible. If you have 60 thousand people mingling and integrating in a small area of course you are enabling the spread of the virus.

Your right closed doors still enables the spread of the virus but on a much smaller level, probably a good few hundred rather than thousands. You can’t stop people buying food and essentials but there are measures to reduce exposure that have been ignored.

To achieve herd immunity you need to infect 60% of the population, that means putting around 5 million in hospital to be treated and killing 200 to 400 thousand people.

How many people attend football matches? A pretty tiny proportion of the population would be my guess, and I’d bet my life savings on it. Think of the countless millions who have to come into contact with others for different reasons. Sorry, I honestly think you’re being diverted from the reality of the situation. As I’ve said, my own choice would be to abandon the season. But do I think that would save anyone from dying from the virus? Probably not.

Isolation is very difficult. Have Arteta, Moyes or Hudson-Odoi sent their families away while they’re self-isolating? They’re all so stinking rich they could afford to. But I still doubt it. The huge majority don’t have their wealth, making it impossible.

Post #510635  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 pm 

Zika, SERS, MERS, even Ebola to some extent came and went and with the latter, resurfaced periodically and was in isolated areas. This one has the feeling we will be living with it from now on. That it may become like the flu and hit us hard seasonally. Worse yet, mutate into affecting groups that it didn't prior. It has that feel to it. I pray not obviously but it has a 'We're not in Kansas anymore" feel to it.

And with it we change socially and perhaps culturally. The only relatable feeling I have that is somewhat similar is after 911. I felt so badly for my nephews and younger family members that they would grow up in a world where terrorism is the norm and events such as that would happen periodically. And then I became angry at the role we played if you connect the dots back (CIA, etc.).

I now have a fear for young people who will not have the childhood I had. As well as fear for myself when I enter the group most susceptible.

Post #510636  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

How many people attend football matches? A pretty tiny proportion of the population would be my guess, and I’d bet my life savings on it. Think of the countless millions who have to come into contact with others for different reasons. Sorry, I honestly think you’re being diverted from the reality of the situation. As I’ve said, my own choice would be to abandon the season. But do I think that would save anyone from dying from the virus? Probably not.

Isolation is very difficult. Have Arteta, Moyes or Hudson-Odoi sent their families away while they’re self-isolating? They’re all so stinking rich they could afford to. But I still doubt it. The huge majority don’t have their wealth, making it impossible.

We, meaning the whole world, are in damage control only. The best we can hope is to lessen the numbers who die, not eliminate the risk. Even here, in Townsville (population 180,000 with no known cases yet) it is smaller crowds going to the supermarket . What i don't understand is why we had the rugby league match go ahead. Government mismanagement. Let us learn lessons from China/Korea and Italy. How to try and stop that growth graph in China/Korea as opposed to acting too late in Italy. The numbers in Italy given the population are terribly high compared with the numbers in China.

Sorry sending their families away would in my opinion only help to spread it. The family are infected or potentially affected so they need to stay home.

Post #510637  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:57 pm 

I miss Brexit

Post #510638  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 pm 

I visited a mall yesterday. The air con affected me after coming in from the heat and I felt a sneeze and got scared. I fought it and was desperately looking for a bathroom or somewhere private to sneeze and not scare anyone.

We may sadly get to a place where a cough or sneeze or even sniffle in public spaces will get you a public shunning.

Strange times.

Post #510639  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:26 am 

i'd like to see the FA meet with all the PL owners and grant Liverpool the title. I can only imagine if that were us. Yeah, I know I'll get backlash for saying that and it won't be the most popular post on here but, they were hard done by in all fairness. It was necessary to put lives over football but they were the biggest casualty of an ended season.

Post #510640  Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 am 

dec wrote:

Take care Dec

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12763, 12764, 12765, 12766, 12767, 12768, 12769 ... 14269  Next