Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, gooner7, warrior and 156 guests

Post #512521  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:08 pm 

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSport/sta ... 7624510477

This is an absolute disgrace.

Post #512522  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:02 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1271552857624510477

And why would you think that?

Post #512523  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:07 pm 

Dafatone wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1271552857624510477

Football should be apolitical. FIFA stopped England wearing poppies as no symbols or political messages were allowed on a Jersey. Correct call. This sets a precedent.

Post #512524  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:00 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Football should be apolitical. FIFA stopped England wearing poppies as no symbols or political messages were allowed on a Jersey. Correct call. This sets a precedent.

Prior to each game as well, players will be taking the knee and a minute of silence for C19 victims and solidarity for BLM.

Post #512525  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:09 pm 

I'm flying to England to protect Mustafi's statue. :42laughter:

Post #512526  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:14 pm 

The one thing with football I've seen over the last decade is it makes an attempt to be morally responsible. Its a global sport and the league is extremely diverse.
It would be interesting to find out how many nations are represented in the league.

Post #512527  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Andy Green can attest to the reputation of the Philadelphia police force I imagine (at the risk of putting him on the spot). More like the Philadelphia gestapo in some respects, especially during my youth. I finished HS in a nice upper class suburb of Philly using a local address and the local constabulary were nice, helpful, small town police types.

I also have 4 friends who are police officers. One a former HS classmate. Salt of the earth guy. That said, policing in America, especially urban areas are often tantamount to bullies with guns. Imagine that 5th former that hit the younger students all the time for nothing and now he's got a gun and a badge and free reign to do it without much repercussions? Exactly.

When ever those of us in America demand better conduct from our police force, after some incident of abuse that gets national attention, we are invariably given the response by someone "They put their lives on the line. We can't fault all of them over a few bad apples." That term 'a few bad apples" is repeated ad nauseam.

I've never heard of anyone who would agree to get on a plane of an airline if they openly allowed a 'few bad apples' to among their many pilots. Or a hospital that had a 'few bad apples' among all the surgeons. Even the American military doesn't allow a 'few bad apples' among the soldiers. But we allow an organization that is given an extensive screening process, extensive training, a gun and legally allowed to use lethal force on the citizenry to still employ and deploy a 'few bad apples' among the good ones?

The NYC police department union boss made this 'bad apples' assertion. The city paid out over nearly a quarter billion in settlements https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-stringer-report-nypd-payout-settlement-lawsuits-20190415-2zzm2zkhpna63dtlcr2zks6eoq-story.html . Doesn't sound like a few bad apples. Youtube has many videos of those 'few bad apples'. Many. Sounds more endemic than a 'few bad apples'.

No job that has life and death implications should be allowed to have a 'few bad apples' employed. We don't even allow it for jobs where there are no life and death implications. No parent would allow their small child to go a to a kindergarten or primary school that has a 'few bad apples' teaching there. But we allow it for the police? I'm not the brightest so I will need to be spoken to slowly and carefully for that explanation to make sense.

The police were given military equipment since the 90s. Excess weaponry and materials from years of cold war buildup as well as the too many to recall foreign conflicts we Americans seem to find ourselves in at least once a decade. We have militarized the police against its own citizens.

Finally, and this is an uncomfortable truth in America, we only hear the 'few bad apples' argument when the victims are black. I've never heard it when it was any other. I've seen instances of police abuse issues involving a wide variety of people in NYC:
white college students, Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn, Asian or two, handicapped believe it or not and even Latinos the 2nd most targeted group, and the 'few bad apples' mantra isn't trotted out.

The current movement to defund police departments in certain urban areas sounds scary as hell to me. I'd have to see what will replace it or what is proposed before I sign that petition..lol. But the police departments of NYC and other major cities facing this would not even have this posed if they were doing their jobs properly. That suburban town I went to HS hasn't spoken of defunding at all nor is it even a question. The local police do their jobs. There are fairly large urban areas in America where the police department is not seen as the enemy. It's possible.

I've encountered the police in major cities globally and have seen the stark differences to America. I've been to Istanbul and Barcelona after terrorist bombings in a heightened atmosphere and still didn't see the same antagonistic attitude of the police in cities like Los Angeles.

Apparently you weren't aware of the Spanish police violent clashes with protesters over the Catalan referendum over the last 2 years in Barcelona and other regional cities.

Post #512528  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:20 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

That's fair enough if that's the reason. We have to remember though that a lot of our players are BAME and they probably want to show solidarity with the BLM movement.

Post #512529  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:43 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Agree with Gunfire.

Post #512530  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:15 am 

You are right about the clashes Zed. Other countries have experienced event-specific clashes with the police. However, the police in many cities in America are abusive regularly, arbitrarily. It's endemic, no matter how peaceful the public is.

Post #512531  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:59 am 

I really hope this comes to fruition.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/06/13/ill-lose-my-freaking-mind-if-this-is-true-some-arsenal-fans-really-excited-by-35m-transfer-update/
According to Tuttosport, Arsenal are ahead of AC Milan and leading the race to sign Dayot Upamecano.

Post #512532  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:49 am 

Dafatone wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

That's fair enough if that's the reason. We have to remember though that a lot of our players are BAME and they probably want to show solidarity with the BLM movement.

Nothing stopping them doing that just not with our clubs jersey. Also one would have to question why the club distanced themselves from Özil's stance on the Uighurs while embracing BLM. It looks like some lives matter more than others.

Post #512533  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:01 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Nothing stopping them doing that just not with our clubs jersey. Also one would have to question why the club distanced themselves from Özil's stance on the Uighurs while embracing BLM. It looks like some lives matter more than others.

Supporting Özil's stance would no doubt have lost the club income in China. So, as with most things it comes down to money.

Post #512534  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:48 pm 

Seen reports today that Juventus will offer Ramsey to both Tottenham and Manchester United. If it’s true, which like most transfer rumours it probably isn’t, perhaps Juventus fancy players at those two English clubs?

Post #512535  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:25 pm 

I’m cooking rack of lamb - with a bit of a crust - for me and the old trout. I’ve no doubt i’ll overcook the lamb but then we are at different ends of the spectrum - rare for me but that’s not popular.

Cheeky Californian Pinot noir. I can see Bern’s lip curling.

Post #512536  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:11 pm 

DHD wrote:
Cheeky Californian Pinot noir. I can see Bern’s lip curling.

I must admit pinot noir isn’t my favourite grape variety. The wines are a bit too light for my liking. I prefer meatier, heavier and more robust red wines with a greater depth of flavour than the thin, watery and weedy wines you often get with pinot noir.

You can find nice pinot noir wines. Burgundy is the traditional home of them. But even then, boy do you have to pay a lot of money to get a good Burgundy. I my view, significantly more than you have to pay for a good Rhône wine, or even Bordeaux.

You had a Californian example tonight. You do get good pinot noir wines at better prices than you can from Burgundy. But I would say exactly the same of new world shiraz (the same grape variety is called syrah in the Rhône Valley), as well as the traditional Bordeaux varieties cabernet sauvignon and merlot.

Post #512537  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm 

Another in a long list of transfer rumors. The Iranian Messi. Azmoun.

https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-closing-in-on-signature-of-iranian-lionel-messi/248344

Post #512538  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:56 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I really hope this comes to fruition.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/06/13/ill-lose-my-freaking-mind-if-this-is-true-some-arsenal-fans-really-excited-by-35m-transfer-update/
According to Tuttosport, Arsenal are ahead of AC Milan and leading the race to sign Dayot Upamecano.

I wonder if Malang Sarr is one of our targets.

Post #512539  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 am 

I've only seen fan sites suggest the player for us to buy. Nothing as far as I have seen of rumors that the club was interested. I would love his addition to the squad.

Post #512540  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 am 

Article in The Athletic shows the stats for using Aubamayang on the left wing, and shows he scores more from that position.
So much to sort out with this team. Central defence and central midfield are still to most critical areas to fix, it feels like they have been for a decade or longer now.
Depending on the futures of our 2 main strikers we could face a re-build there, although I'm more confident we have some young talent coming through in those positions.
Also, depending on how Arteta starts to shape the team we could be looking for a central creative player, or Arteta may get rid of the No. 10 position and go with the double 8 as City do with De Bruyne and Silva. Or he may look at the liverpool route and try to get more creativity from the full back positions and a potent front 3.

Happy that football is back but we must remember Arteta has still had precious little time with the players. We really do need some sort of European football for next season (even Europa fills the coffers with £40m odd), but it is still a tall ask, particularly when you look at the fixtures and the fixtures of some of our rivals. Man U have a very easy run in. Although who knows what state each team will be in when football returns

Post #512541  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've only seen fan sites suggest the player for us to buy. Nothing as far as I have seen of rumors that the club was interested. I would love his addition to the squad.

Serie A clubs, Newcastle, W. Ham, Frankfurt and Lyon are also interested.

Post #512542  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:34 pm 

Well said, Marcus Rashford.

Post #512543  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Article in The Athletic shows the stats for using Aubamayang on the left wing, and shows he scores more from that position.
So much to sort out with this team. Central defence and central midfield are still to most critical areas to fix, it feels like they have been for a decade or longer now.
Depending on the futures of our 2 main strikers we could face a re-build there, although I'm more confident we have some young talent coming through in those positions.
Also, depending on how Arteta starts to shape the team we could be looking for a central creative player, or Arteta may get rid of the No. 10 position and go with the double 8 as City do with De Bruyne and Silva. Or he may look at the liverpool route and try to get more creativity from the full back positions and a potent front 3.

Happy that football is back but we must remember Arteta has still had precious little time with the players. We really do need some sort of European football for next season (even Europa fills the coffers with £40m odd), but it is still a tall ask, particularly when you look at the fixtures and the fixtures of some of our rivals. Man U have a very easy run in. Although who knows what state each team will be in when football returns

I agree with most of your post but disagree on one issue ; Arteta has had basically a pre-season after having had an opportunity to assess players earlier in the season. His excuse period is over. We need to start seeing improvement and more importantly a style of play developing. I am disappointed we have not sorted out Saka's contract. I hope they have a plan A and plan B for the transfers coming up.

Post #512544  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 am 

Aubie coming in from the left with Marinelli up top and Pépé on the other wing may be a dream combination.

Post #512545  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:58 pm 

Widespread rumours that Maintland-Niles will be sold to get some funds towards Aubameyang’s new contract, if he signs it. I accept AMN is probably not good enough to be an automatic choice for the first team. But however good your first team is, back up squad players of a decent standard will always be required. Especially if they’re sufficiently versatile to cove more than a single position. If the stories are true, one has to assume that Arteta doesn’t feel AMN is the standard required, either as a back up for midfield or right back.

Post #512546  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Widespread rumours that Maintland-Niles will be sold to get some funds towards Aubameyang’s new contract, if he signs it. I accept AMN is probably not good enough to be an automatic choice for the first team. But however good your first team is, back up squad players of a decent standard will always be required. Especially if they’re sufficiently versatile to cove more than a single position. If the stories are true, one has to assume that Arteta doesn’t feel AMN is the standard required, either as a back up for midfield or right back.

I'm with Arteta on this one Bernard.

Homegrown and multi-talented AMN (Conservative) undoubtedly is, but he seems to have a problem with his levels of concentration. I don't think he's lazy, but too often for me he's been lacksadaisical (sp?). Whether that's confidence or a couldn't care less attitude I don't know, but at the end of the day it makes no difference. He has mistakes in him and gives the ball away in dangerous positions.

So if the rumours are true, they make sense to me.

Post #512547  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 pm 

Sooooo.....Özil.....in or out?

Post #512548  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:51 pm 

Arteta has stopped the downward slide Özil was going through and resurrected him to a certain extent as he's done with a few other players who have played better but Özil's performances have not justified the wages. For what we are paying him we can do much, much better. Not that Özil isn't talented enough to play to a level his wages suggest, he's just not performing at that level. And likely won't consistently enough.

(we should have taken Cesc back :42laughter: )

Post #512549  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:58 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Homegrown and multi-talented AMN (Conservative) undoubtedly is, but he seems to have a problem with his levels of concentration. I don't think he's lazy, but too often for me he's been lacksadaisical (sp?). Whether that's confidence or a couldn't care less attitude I don't know, but at the end of the day it makes no difference. He has mistakes in him and gives the ball away in dangerous positions.

You’re probably right. But if we’re not keeping the bloke from Southampton (which I heard somewhere), who will fill in at right back?

Are you saying AMN votes Conservative? I didn’t know that. Where did you get that from?

Post #512550  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
(we should have taken Cesc back :42laughter: )

You keep saying that over and over and over again. Wenger was never going to take Fabregas back. He refused to play for the club in order to engineer his move to Barcelona. That’s what stopped Wenger taking him back, and it was always going to. None of the other players he did take back like Henry, Campbell, Flamini and Lehmann ever did what Fabregas did.

There was more chance of someone winning the Euromillions jackpot six weeks running when they haven’t bought a ticket than there was of Wenger taking Fabregas back after he’d refused to play for him and the club.

Post #512551  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

You’re probably right. But if we’re not keeping the bloke from Southampton (which I heard somewhere), who will fill in at right back?

Are you saying AMN votes Conservative? I didn’t know that. Where did you get that from?

It was a running joke on Alan Davies’ Yellow Boots podcast. Just a referral to the posh-sounding double-barreled name like he was a Conservative candidate.

Post #512552  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 am 

Truly Mustafi, Germany is lovely this time of year. You remember, don't you? :58big-emoticons:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-22203972
Shkodran Mustafi makes transfer admission amid uncertain Arsenal future

The Mustafi Arsenal Legend Highlight Video

Post #512553  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:42 am 

Bernard wrote:

If we sign Cédric on a free and get someone in for central midfield then it makes sense that AMN is someone who could be sold to raise funds. Cédric is a better natural RB so can compete with Bellerin.
We can't go out and build our ideal squad right away, we have too many problems to fix and will lose some players as well. So my view is we need to build for longer term but also put cheap plasters in places that help but don't break the bank. Cédric and Mari help this. Then look to get your core team for the next 5 years in place. My number 1 target in central midfield would be Ndidi from Leicester. He's only 23, covers so much ground, has lead the league in tackles for the past 2-3 seasons and just look at how Leicester dropped off when he was out injured. He may cost £40m but I think he'd be worth it. I would love Partey but for a similar price and 4 years younger Ndidi may be the less fashionable but more sensible purchase

Post #512554  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:57 am 

Rich wrote:
If we sign Cédric on a free and get someone in for central midfield then it makes sense that AMN is someone who could be sold to raise funds. Cédric is a better natural RB so can compete with Bellerin.
We can't go out and build our ideal squad right away, we have too many problems to fix and will lose some players as well. So my view is we need to build for longer term but also put cheap plasters in places that help but don't break the bank. Cédric and Mari help this. Then look to get your core team for the next 5 years in place. My number 1 target in central midfield would be Ndidi from Leicester. He's only 23, covers so much ground, has lead the league in tackles for the past 2-3 seasons and just look at how Leicester dropped off when he was out injured. He may cost £40m but I think he'd be worth it. I would love Partey but for a similar price and 4 years younger Ndidi may be the less fashionable but more sensible purchase

As I thought I’d implied, there were lots of stories that Soares (albeit I called him the bloke from Southampton if my memory serves) will be leaving. I’m not arguing that AMN could be sold. But if the fairly widespread rumours (links to the Telegraph, Sun, Mirror and Metro though there were others) that Cédric will go turn out to be true, we are going to need more than Bellerin as the only player who can play right back in the squad.

I completely agree with you over Ndidi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... ingle/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... aying/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 181742.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 42315/amp/

Post #512555  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am 

Bernard wrote:

That’s where I’d said that about Cédric.

Post #512556  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 am 

john1 wrote:
It was a running joke on Alan Davies’ Yellow Boots podcast. Just a referral to the posh-sounding double-barreled name like he was a Conservative candidate.

Fair enough john1.

I suppose it isn’t rare these days for women (from all types of social background) getting married to keep their own surname and combine it with the surname of their new husband. One of my female cousins did that. Her maiden name was that of one of Arsenal’s best ever keepers. She married someone with a bog standard Welsh surname (he is Welsh). She’s now got the surname of them both following each other.

My guess is the maiden name of AMN’s mother was Maitland and she married someone named Niles (or vice versa). Hence she ended up as Maitland-Niles and passed it to Ainsley.

Post #512557  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Ramsey didn't make the Juve squad tonight for the Copa Italia semi v Milan. Is he injured? I heard Juve were putting him up for sale as they count the cost of his £400k a week contract.

Many have thought over the years Juve have been the kings of the free transfer, they have made some very sought after signings, but the free transfer does mean these players have huge wages, if they aren't performing that is a big weight around the clubs neck - as we know all too well.

The most consistent rumours I’ve heard of Ramsey’s season in Italy is that he’s struggled for form and fitness. He’s apparently played 24 games in all competitions with four goals and one assist. Not bad but for an attacking midfielder not that great either.

I can understand any decision by Juventus to sell him for what will presumably be a more than decent fee. They’ll make a decent profit on signing him. When I think of his time at Arsenal he had one outstanding season but was otherwise often good but not great, and sometimes worse than good. Maybe a modern day equivalent of David Platt? Alright, but fairly underwhelming a lot of the time.

If I was to list every Arsenal midfielder I’ve ever seen Ramsey would probably get somewhere in the top half but nowhere near the very top group with the likes of Vieira, Petit, Brady, Pires, Rocastle, Ball and various others. I’d definitely put Ramsey lower than Ray Parlour, Steve Williams, Paul Davis and Michael Thomas too.

When he left, from memory weren’t some saying what bad news it was? Financially, I’d go with that. To lose him for nothing was a big shame. But on the basis of Ramsey’s footballing contribution to the team, I was shrugging my shoulders and thinking ‘oh well, worse things happen at sea so nothing to feel that bothered about’.

Hi Bernard,

I’m with you, overall Ramsey going isn’t a huge loss to Arsenal apart from financially. I found him to be more of a frustrating player than some and agree he’d be in the bottom half of a 100 greatest Arsenal midfielders list. It would be interesting to measure that again if we only took into account his form in his purple patch as that was something entirely different and astonishing to behold. His creative touches started to come off and every shot seemed to hit the net with some real worldies included. I think that Ramsey is even in the top 5 of the 100. Imagine that YouTube compilation, Juventus fans could have been expecting something really exciting.

I think the question of how much of a loss Ramsey was is informed by the team at the time. He wasn’t anywhere near his purple patch form but he was one of the most senior serving players, represented goals from midfield and seemed less injury prone than usual. To the squad at the time with Emery at the helm I think Ramsey’s departure represented a greater loss than it would have to better squads from the past. So I think he was a biggish loss, but mainly because every other aspect of the club was all at sea. Still is a bit.

Post #512558  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm 

I agree Ash. I was stunned at the negativity some attached to his departure. As you imply it probably reflected the state of things at Arsenal at the time more than his real worth as a player.

Post #512559  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Fair enough john1.

I suppose it isn’t rare these days for women (from all types of social background) getting married to keep their own surname and combine it with the surname of their new husband. One of my female cousins did that. Her maiden name was that of one of Arsenal’s best ever keepers. She married someone with a bog standard Welsh surname (he is Welsh). She’s now got the surname of them both following each other.

My guess is the maiden name of AMN’s mother was Maitland and she married someone named Niles (or vice versa). Hence she ended up as Maitland-Niles and passed it to Ainsley.

I believe they never married, and are no longer an item but vice versa is correct

Post #512560  Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:15 pm 

Does anyone know if season ticket holders are able to stream Arsenal matches for 'free'? There's no mention of it on the website.

[ 571920 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12811, 12812, 12813, 12814, 12815, 12816, 12817 ... 14298  Next