Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Rich, warrior and 54 guests

Post #512481  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:56 am 

It's a friendly so its difficult to say the result was bad in context.

Post #512482  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:19 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Didn't know we were playing Brentford. Took the lead twice but still lost 2-3. But it looked like Brentford goals came only after we made many subs - guess that affected the performance.

Wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will start blaming Mustafi for conceding three against Brentford? If he does, perhaps you or someone else he hasn’t blocked could tell him we conceded all three goals after Mustafi went off. According to Arsenal.com Mustafi was substituted after 60 minutes. Brentford scored their first after about 70 minutes, which they followed up with a further two.

Info from the Arsenal website. The subs at 60 minutes in the defence
60 - Sokratis for Bellerin
60 - Holding for Mustafi
60 - Kolasinac for Tierney

Even then we had only scored once prior to this time. This result does not fill me with joy. The first half team had been
First half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney; Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pépé, Nketiah, Aubameyang

The following started the second half:
Second half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Özil; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Saka

I would have expected better. It is not as if we had on a pile of non first team players involved.

Post #512483  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
60 - Holding for Mustafi

Even then we had only scored once prior to this time. This result does not fill me with joy. The first half team had been
First half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney; Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pépé, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Second half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Özil; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Saka

I would have expected better. It is not as if we had on a pile of non first team players involved.

In my view the defensive substitutions on the hour all involved bringing on worse players than the guys who went off. But I’m not going to get worried about the result. These games against Charlton and Brentford were little more than part of a warm up or fitness strategy that were presumably a bit more competitive than playing the youth team would have been.

Perhaps if anyone should get slightly worried it’s Charlton as we slaughtered them before losing to Brentford. Having said that, I would guess Brentford must be a better side than Charlton as I thought they were supposed to be fighting for a place in the Championship play offs for promotion to the Premier League. I don’t remember Charlton ever being mentioned in that context on the rare occasions I heard the play off fight being mentioned on Talksport. Maybe they are. Or could they be way down the Championship? Indeed, I don’t even know what division Charlton are in these days. For all I know they might be in League 1, or even League 2.

But just like the Charlton result didn’t enthuse me that much, the Brentford result doesn’t really concern me. I see both games as fitness events in a semi-competitive environment.

Post #512484  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:41 am 

I’d never heard of La Liga TV until just now. I fancied watching the Seville match this evening. It turns out that Sky haven’t been showing La Liga games for a couple of seasons.

Apparently “People in the UK have missed Spanish football,” LaLigaTV’s Simon Hanley told the Independent on a visit to its Barcelona studios last month.” Obviously I didn’t.

Seems that the Spanish league have set up their own TV channel which they control and sell. Sky subscribers can see it for an extra £6 per month although the next couple of weeks are covered by a free trial.

I wonder how long before the Premier League goes that way.

Post #512485  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I’d never heard of La Liga TV until just now. I fancied watching the Seville match this evening. It turns out that Sky haven’t been showing La Liga games for a couple of seasons.

Apparently “People in the UK have missed Spanish football,” LaLigaTV’s Simon Hanley told the Independent on a visit to its Barcelona studios last month.” Obviously I didn’t.

Seems that the Spanish league have set up their own TV channel which they control and sell. Sky subscribers can see it for an extra £6 per month although the next couple of weeks are covered by a free trial.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rts-rights

Post #512486  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rts-rights

Would be okay for you but not me then..

The chances of a “Premflix” channel happening in England, where Sky Sports has around six million subscribers and BT Sport close to two million, are slim. But Masters suggested a two-tiered system – with some countries watching games shown by existing TV broadcasters and others streamed directly by the Premier League – was inevitable. “I’m not saying it will happen in the next cycle or when it will happen but eventually the Premier League will move to a mix of direct consumer and media rights sales,” he said. “It is impossible to say when that will be.”

Post #512487  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm 

Actually as a general point I find the whole location issue immensely annoying. I pay for a service (like Sky or BT Sport or Eurosport) but am not allowed to access when abroad. Simply ridiculous.

Post #512488  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
60 - Holding for Mustafi

In my view the defensive substitutions on the hour all involved bringing on worse players than the guys who went off. But I’m not going to get worried about the result. These games against Charlton and Brentford were little more than part of a warm up or fitness strategy that were presumably a bit more competitive than playing the youth team would have been.

Perhaps if anyone should get slightly worried it’s Charlton as we slaughtered them before losing to Brentford. Having said that, I would guess Brentford must be a better side than Charlton as I thought they were supposed to be fighting for a place in the Championship play offs for promotion to the Premier League. I don’t remember Charlton ever being mentioned in that context on the rare occasions I heard the play off fight being mentioned on Talksport. Maybe they are. Or could they be way down the Championship? Indeed, I don’t even know what division Charlton are in these days. For all I know they might be in League 1, or even League 2.

But just like the Charlton result didn’t enthuse me that much, the Brentford result doesn’t really concern me. I see both games as fitness events in a semi-competitive environment.

Charlton are in the Championship. They fell into the bottom 3 just before lockdown. Which is why I was hoping the Championship would be binned this season. Another club where the fans have been shafted by a succession of owners not fit for purpose. I hope they can stay up but not looking likely as their best player Lyle Taylor is now refusing to play as his contract expires at the end of June.

Post #512489  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Stretching the point admittedly, but might our Sovereign Lady (may she sustain) have a few stiffs to answer for?

Do you mean the Queen? If so, who are you suggesting she bumped off? Diana? Did the Queen hire Diana’s rat-arsed driver?

I'm suggesting there perhaps she'd be one of the few Gooners who have had wars fought in their name.

Presumably as Head of State, many infamous murderers would have been executed 'at her pleasure'? I bet you know how many.

Post #512490  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm 

If Hodd happens to look in, do you have any news of a reported cull of Academy Scouts?

Post #512491  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:48 pm 

I'll be very interested to see how teams are affected by no fans being in the stadium. Lots of early conclusions have been made from the Bundesliga games that have taken place behind closed doors.
One thought was that those teams who typically have less possession have struggled in home matches as they don't have the fans to feed off for that extra burst of fitness/stamina.
I think about the number of times I've watched Arsenal away from home where we've failed to quieten the crowd, it could be as simple as dwelling on the ball and a forward blocking a clearance, it gets an underdog crowd up for it and the opposition players really do feed off that.
I think we can benefit from no fans in comparison to a lot of clubs in the league. Certainly away from home against some vociferous home fans. In our home games it is only really in some of the biggest games that our crowd really seem to get going and provide impetus for the team.

Post #512492  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm 

ltg, have you tried using a VPN when abroad for access?

Post #512493  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
If Hodd happens to look in, do you have any news of a reported cull of Academy Scouts?

Just read reports that their contracts are not renewed as a result of financial impact due to COVID-19. Sheesh... If the club is restructuring or they don't perform up to standards, fine release them. But don't make it like the club cannot afford their wages.

Post #512494  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm 

Anthony Taylor is the ref for the Man City match next Wednesday.

Post #512495  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:52 pm 

DHD wrote:
Presumably as Head of State, many infamous murderers would have been executed 'at her pleasure'? I bet you know how many.

I’ve just looked it up. The current Queen was crowned on 2nd June 1953. The executions after that date totalled 69. Interestingly the first was that of John Christie of 10 Rillington Place fame on Wednesday 15th July 1953. Hanged by Albert Pierrepoint at Pentonville Prison, quite close to Arsenal’s ground.

Post #512496  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think we can benefit from no fans in comparison to a lot of clubs in the league. Certainly away from home against some vociferous home fans. In our home games it is only really in some of the biggest games that our crowd really seem to get going and provide impetus for the team.

I’ve been to over fifty different clubs as an away fan following Arsenal. More grounds than that as quite a few have built or use new stadiums. To be honest I don’t think Arsenal’s home support is much different to pretty well any club. I went to our away Champions League game at Celtic Park some years ago and their home support wasn’t noisy enough to make them noticeably different. Maybe it’s better when Rangers are the away team, but the only two Old Firm derbies I’ve been to were both at Ibrox.

Indeed on one of them, the Rangers Celtic game was the same weekend as a Tottenham Arsenal match at White Hart Lane (the Glasgow derby was on the Saturday and the North London one the next day on the Sunday). I went to both. Believe it or not, there wasn’t that much of a noticeable difference in the atmosphere at each.

I’ve seen Arsenal at places like the Manchester clubs (both City and United), the Merseyside clubs (both Liverpool and Everton), the north east (Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough), Leeds, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea and West Ham plus countless smaller clubs and I honestly don’t consider Arsenal’s home support as consistently worse than any of them. Not enough to make me notice anyway.

Post #512497  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:11 am 

Zed wrote:

I really hope VAR will be used, to negate, hopefully, his crap decisions.

Have they decided not to use it?

Post #512498  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:20 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
ltg, have you tried using a VPN when abroad for access?

No. I’ve looked into it. It just seemed a bit messy and unduly complicated.

Post #512499  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:30 am 

I agree. I was at first. That's why if I encounter any thing technologically daunting i go to my tech savvy my nieces, nephews or children of friends. :42laughter:

Post #512500  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I agree. I was at first. That's why if I encounter any thing technologically daunting i go to my tech savvy my nieces, nephews or children of friends. :42laughter:

It’s not that it’s technologically daunting (I’m way out of Warrior’s league - aren’t we all - but I do run two websites that I have set up). It’s just the mess of stop starting a paid service plus the degrading impact of VPN in normal usage.

Post #512501  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:57 am 

Andy Green can attest to the reputation of the Philadelphia police force I imagine (at the risk of putting him on the spot). More like the Philadelphia gestapo in some respects, especially during my youth. I finished HS in a nice upper class suburb of Philly using a local address and the local constabulary were nice, helpful, small town police types.

I also have 4 friends who are police officers. One a former HS classmate. Salt of the earth guy. That said, policing in America, especially urban areas are often tantamount to bullies with guns. Imagine that 5th former that hit the younger students all the time for nothing and now he's got a gun and a badge and free reign to do it without much repercussions? Exactly.

When ever those of us in America demand better conduct from our police force, after some incident of abuse that gets national attention, we are invariably given the response by someone "They put their lives on the line. We can't fault all of them over a few bad apples." That term 'a few bad apples" is repeated ad nauseam.

I've never heard of anyone who would agree to get on a plane of an airline if they openly allowed a 'few bad apples' to among their many pilots. Or a hospital that had a 'few bad apples' among all the surgeons. Even the American military doesn't allow a 'few bad apples' among the soldiers. But we allow an organization that is given an extensive screening process, extensive training, a gun and legally allowed to use lethal force on the citizenry to still employ and deploy a 'few bad apples' among the good ones?

The NYC police department union boss made this 'bad apples' assertion. The city paid out over nearly a quarter billion in settlements https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-stringer-report-nypd-payout-settlement-lawsuits-20190415-2zzm2zkhpna63dtlcr2zks6eoq-story.html . Doesn't sound like a few bad apples. Youtube has many videos of those 'few bad apples'. Many. Sounds more endemic than a 'few bad apples'.

No job that has life and death implications should be allowed to have a 'few bad apples' employed. We don't even allow it for jobs where there are no life and death implications. No parent would allow their small child to go a to a kindergarten or primary school that has a 'few bad apples' teaching there. But we allow it for the police? I'm not the brightest so I will need to be spoken to slowly and carefully for that explanation to make sense.

The police were given military equipment since the 90s. Excess weaponry and materials from years of cold war buildup as well as the too many to recall foreign conflicts we Americans seem to find ourselves in at least once a decade. We have militarized the police against its own citizens.

Finally, and this is an uncomfortable truth in America, we only hear the 'few bad apples' argument when the victims are black. I've never heard it when it was any other. I've seen instances of police abuse issues involving a wide variety of people in NYC:
white college students, Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn, Asian or two, handicapped believe it or not and even Latinos the 2nd most targeted group, and the 'few bad apples' mantra isn't trotted out.

The current movement to defund police departments in certain urban areas sounds scary as hell to me. I'd have to see what will replace it or what is proposed before I sign that petition..lol. But the police departments of NYC and other major cities facing this would not even have this posed if they were doing their jobs properly. That suburban town I went to HS hasn't spoken of defunding at all nor is it even a question. The local police do their jobs. There are fairly large urban areas in America where the police department is not seen as the enemy. It's possible.

I've encountered the police in major cities globally and have seen the stark differences to America. I've been to Istanbul and Barcelona after terrorist bombings in a heightened atmosphere and still didn't see the same antagonistic attitude of the police in cities like Los Angeles.

Post #512502  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:32 am 

Why is it that when Arsenal players are linked with a move away the fee quoted is so low in comparison to other deals. The media pretty much pluck a number out of thin air but I read this morning that Inter Milan want to sign Bellerin for £27m. Compare that to Chelsea/City rumoured chase of Ben Chilwell for £75m. Bellerin is only 2 years older at 25.

Post #512503  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:08 am 

The forums has lost it's mojo ............;....fifty fivw buillion f^^%%%$##$(((*&*&&*B AMerican dickstop posts

Old Man , Long time , Warrior ......;.......simper dot com .......

Post #512504  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 am 

We never seem to get full value on deals do we? And way too many players let go for free or close to it.

Post #512505  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We never seem to get full value on deals do we? And way too many players let go for free or close to it.

I thought the club stated that losing experienced players for nothing will stop. That’s why if Aubameyang doesn’t extend his contract this summer, I fully expect him to be sold. Saka might be kept as he isn’t experienced and isn’t worth as much. The only reason we’ll keep Özil is if nobody will take him off our hands, by which I mean pay him enough to move. Otherwise we’re stuck with him until the end of his contract.

Post #512506  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm 

With football coming back in England, I was looking at the games left. Top 4 is likely out of reach. I went over to the FA Cup fixtures and too many big clubs are still in it to leave me with much hope. So, for the rest of the season I'd be happy if we defended better, started playing Arteta's system better and we bring in some quality players and get rid of the dead weight, which is self evident who these players are.

Post #512507  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:19 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Zed wrote:

I really hope VAR will be used, to negate, hopefully, his crap decisions.

Have they decided not to use it?

Apparently it is still preferred to use VAR, as the integrity of the competition would be compromised. FIFA is giving clubs an option not to. It's to be voted on this week.

Post #512508  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:43 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1270774073992400898?s=20

Pathetic.

Sorry what’s pathetic?

Post #512509  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 pm 

Ramsey didn't make the Juve squad tonight for the Copa Italia semi v Milan. Is he injured? I heard Juve were putting him up for sale as they count the cost of his £400k a week contract.

Many have thought over the years Juve have been the kings of the free transfer, they have made some very sought after signings, but the free transfer does mean these players have huge wages, if they aren't performing that is a big weight around the clubs neck - as we know all too well.

Post #512510  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
The forums has lost it's mojo ............;....fifty fivw buillion f^^%%%$##$(((*&*&&*B AMerican dickstop posts

Old Man , Long time , Warrior ......;.......simper dot com .......

My sincere apologies to the three simperers '' especially Warrior who does the tireless yards ...totally out of order .

I got so smashed on gin last night it is a wonder I could type , read , breathe .

Watched rugby . played chess , rock n roll music till about 3 am ....wife not saying much .

Post #512511  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ramsey didn't make the Juve squad tonight for the Copa Italia semi v Milan. Is he injured? I heard Juve were putting him up for sale as they count the cost of his £400k a week contract.

Many have thought over the years Juve have been the kings of the free transfer, they have made some very sought after signings, but the free transfer does mean these players have huge wages, if they aren't performing that is a big weight around the clubs neck - as we know all too well.

Despite the huge salary, signing a player on a free is still much cheaper than paying the transfer fee and his wages.

Post #512512  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:54 pm 

Rich wrote:

The most consistent rumours I’ve heard of Ramsey’s season in Italy is that he’s struggled for form and fitness. He’s apparently played 24 games in all competitions with four goals and one assist. Not bad but for an attacking midfielder not that great either.

I can understand any decision by Juventus to sell him for what will presumably be a more than decent fee. They’ll make a decent profit on signing him. When I think of his time at Arsenal he had one outstanding season but was otherwise often good but not great, and sometimes worse than good. Maybe a modern day equivalent of David Platt? Alright, but fairly underwhelming a lot of the time.

If I was to list every Arsenal midfielder I’ve ever seen Ramsey would probably get somewhere in the top half but nowhere near the very top group with the likes of Vieira, Petit, Brady, Pires, Rocastle, Ball and various others. I’d definitely put Ramsey lower than Ray Parlour, Steve Williams, Paul Davis and Michael Thomas too.

When he left, from memory weren’t some saying what bad news it was? Financially, I’d go with that. To lose him for nothing was a big shame. But on the basis of Ramsey’s footballing contribution to the team, I was shrugging my shoulders and thinking ‘oh well, worse things happen at sea so nothing to feel that bothered about’.

Post #512513  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:30 am 

Rich wrote:

Interesting point about the business of free transfers. Ramsey and Wilshere are a couple great 'what ifs'. Both talented and had they stayed healthy, probably would have had very good Arsenal careers. Ramsey especially. I understand why he left but I think he would have thrived under Arteta...assuming he stayed healthy. I was very sorry to see him leave. He had a few cracking goals and was never shy about taking shots in a game that most players would only attempt on a training pitch. Enough of them scored for it to be on a few video compilations.

i wish him well. Always liked him personally. And a personal fave with him being Welsh.

Post #512514  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:00 am 

New sponsor named for English FA Cup final
This season's FA Cup final will be dedicated to mental health campaign Heads Up.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-spo ... ocid=ientp

Post #512515  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Watched rugby . played chess , rock n roll music till about 3 am ....wife not saying much .

Next time invite us over !

Post #512516  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:35 am 

DHD wrote:

My only comment is “don’t believe everything you read in the press“

Post #512517  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:45 am 

Goonie wrote:
DHD wrote:

Just read reports that their contracts are not renewed as a result of financial impact due to COVID-19. Sheesh... If the club is restructuring or they don't perform up to standards, fine release them. But don't make it like the club cannot afford their wages.

The reports are 90% bollocks
All leaked by a disgruntled ex-scout

Post #512518  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:42 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

My only comment is “don’t believe everything you read in the press“

Thanks Hodd

Post #512519  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

The reports are 90% bollocks
All leaked by a disgruntled ex-scout

Good to know it's not true.

Post #512520  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Despite the huge salary, signing a player on a free is still much cheaper than paying the transfer fee and his wages.

Agreed, but signing a player for £0 and paying them £400k per week on a 5 year deal (£104m total investment) and then they don't perform makes it very difficult to move the player on if the player digs his heels in. Who else will pay those wages.
Alternatively you could pay £50m a transfer fee and £200k a week on the same 5 years deal (£102m total investment) and you'd be much more likely to shift the player on and cut your losses as more clubs can afford those wages

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12810, 12811, 12812, 12813, 12814, 12815, 12816 ... 14269  Next