Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 112 guests

Post #513681  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 pm 

Arteta said:

"If we minimise the mistakes we do and keep playing like that, we will win many, many football games."

I think that’s correct.

Now where’s that straw.........

Post #513682  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 pm 

I think there are positives from today. We were in control for the majority of the game. There is a growing decisiveness in the team play as Arteta's coaching is having an impact. The gaping holes through midfield are gone and Ceballos & Zhaka are developing a good partnership.

Obviously, Kolasinac's error was a brutal one. I can't see him being with us next season. Mustafi has been very good of late and played well for 60mins before going to pieces. Hard to know what to do with him.

I won't mind at all if we miss out on Europe. It might help us a lot in the league.

Post #513683  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
but where was Bellerin? Tactical mistake by Arteta. We were vulnerable to their counter attacks.

Sorry for sounding like socrates but Bellerin has lost so much pace it’s frightening. Heard a rumour that Seville want him. Sounds his level now he’s so slow, for a full back anyway. If true I can see it happening to get some money in.

You could say the same for so many of our squad. If a decent offer came in you'd happily sell 75% of them I reckon.
On the basis that we are probably in a break even requirement in our finances for transfers this summer I can't see Bellerin being one of those sold unless Sevilla go for £30m+. If we sold him we'd have to replace him in a position that doesn't actually need surgery as much as other areas.

Post #513684  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:09 pm 

Arteta has got us more controlled, solid and less wide open in normal play. That is 1 out of 3. Silly mistakes is only in his control in the sense that he picks the team, the 3rd aspect is those blasted set pieces.

Going forward the change to make us more solid defensively has affected what happens up top. Arteta saw it necessary to go with 3 at the back because none of our CB can be trusted to perform in a 2. What that means in terms of goals and assists is we're basically relying on just 3 players. Xhaka and Ceballos maybe chip in with 2 a year, the wing backs are not exactly Robertson and Trent racking up assists.

The long terms plan has to be to get back to a back 4, find a better balance in midfield adding more creativity and runs beyond the strikers and also getting a front 3 who all contribute goals and assists in the way Liverpool, City and now Man U do.

Post #513685  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:17 pm 

Kolasinac has never been good defensively, either technically or positionally. He's only ever really looked good as a marauding wingback.

Post #513686  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta has got us more controlled, solid and less wide open in normal play. That is 1 out of 3. Silly mistakes is only in his control in the sense that he picks the team, the 3rd aspect is those blasted set pieces.

Going forward the change to make us more solid defensively has affected what happens up top. Arteta saw it necessary to go with 3 at the back because none of our CB can be trusted to perform in a 2. What that means in terms of goals and assists is we're basically relying on just 3 players. Xhaka and Ceballos maybe chip in with 2 a year, the wing backs are not exactly Robertson and Trent racking up assists.

The long terms plan has to be to get back to a back 4, find a better balance in midfield adding more creativity and runs beyond the strikers and also getting a front 3 who all contribute goals and assists in the way Liverpool, City and now Man U do.

I think Arteta needs time and whilst I have some reservations he must be given at least a proper transfer window to change things. Now if he starts giving the likes of Mustafi a new contract (except in order to preserve some transfer value) then I will start to have real concerns.

Mustafi is not, and never will be, the answer. Ditto David Luiz and Kolasinac. None of them are at the level required.

Post #513687  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:38 pm 

Oh yeah, St. Totteringham's Day. What a comedy. NL is white. :8surprise:

Post #513688  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:58 pm 

Zed wrote:
Oh yeah, St. Totteringham's Day. What a comedy. NL is white. :8surprise:

Could be the 4th year in a row the finish above us, starting to make up ground on the 21 consecutive years we finished above them before that

Post #513689  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:16 pm 

Late goals are killing us as well at the moment. It was evident when Arteta first took over that he was asking a lot more in training and matches than players had been used to and they were out on their feet after 70 minutes. It is absolutely the right thing to have done because how can we expect to compete with the best when the fitness levels were so poor.
One of the early games was Chelsea at home when they came back in the last 15, sheff utd equalised in the last 10, brighton won it in the last minute, leicester equalised with 6 to play and spurs won it in the last 10 today. Cut out those late goals in those games only and it is 9 extra points

Post #513690  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:57 pm 

I actually think there are some green shoots. Arteta has given us a pattern of play that we can get behind. He’s improved a few players and we are generally conceding fewer goals. The obvious flaws are only resolved with personnel changes. Whilst our defence is an obvious area for improvement, the lack of goals from midfield is also killing us. We used to have Ramsey, Santi, Rosicky, Cesc etc who would always contribute goals. We have no one who can chip in regularly. Wenger had the defensive side all at sea but with goals from midfield and up top we still managed to get top four each year. If Arteta can add some goals to midfield and tighten us defensively then, whilst the title is still a long way off, top four isn’t. There is huge scope for improvement but this is the first, early days of something I feel quite positive about in the long term. He needs to cull the deadwood but with a tiny budget it’s going to be a challenge. But I think there should be some cause for optimism looking at the bigger picture.

Post #513691  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 pm 

At the end of the day your just not getting anywhere with the defenders we have.

Bellerin, Mustafi, kolasinac and Luiz ? Just no chance.

Feel sorry for Mikel who is doing his best. He needs a energetic midfielder with a range of passing but also needs several new defenders,only Tierney fits the bill.

Post #513692  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
At the end of the day your just not getting anywhere with the defenders we have.

Feel sorry for Mikel who is doing his best. He needs a energetic midfielder with a range of passing but also needs several new defenders,only Tierney fits the bill.

You are right, TG.

The defenders we have, par perhaps Tierney are not at the level required.

I'd maybe give Bellerin a little more time to see if he gain recapture some of that speed he appears to have lost since his injury, but let's be brutally honest he's always been a converted winger and never been a great defender. If a big bid came in I'd take it.

I'd also keep Holding because I think he, like Bellerin, is still working his way back to full fitness. Could be a useful back-up.

Luiz should be gone but obviously he won't be. Kola is never going to be anything other than but an athletic powerful wingback with limited technical ability and no defensive nous.

Ceballos is beginning to look decent but I wouldn't want to be breaking the bank to sign him. £20-25m maybe, anymore and its too high a gamble if we have limited resources because we need at least one other topclass midfielder.

I'd like to see Edu pull some Brazilian rabbits out of the hat. Surely, there are some outstanding young kids coming through who we could perhaps get.

Make no mistake, though, without any form of european football we are not a great attraction for any of europe's elite players.

Post #513693  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:50 pm 

john1 wrote:
Arteta said:

"If we minimise the mistakes we do and keep playing like that, we will win many, many football games."

I think that’s correct.

Platitudes like this really annoy me. Why didn't he finish with another profound statement like íf you score more goals than the opposition you will win games'. This is his responsibility. He kept Luiz on and has always gone back to the old (failed) defence. If he wants Guendouzi to apologise he should be doing the same.

As soon as this team are faced with any quality team or put under pressure they fold. What is even worse is that Spurs are pretty woeful. What does it say about Arteta.

Total waste of a great Lacazette goal. Amy Lawrence on the Arseblog was asked about next year and settling Saliba in. She said, correctly in my opinion, there was not one CB at Arsenal who was good enough to teach him and mentor him. Arteta with the continued use of the old defence is not improving the team. He has no excuses at all. It looks like he is not the messiah , as so many on here claim, but just a manager who is not good enough.

Post #513694  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:54 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You are right, TG.

I'd maybe give Bellerin a little more time to see if he gain recapture some of that speed he appears to have lost since his injury, but let's be brutally honest he's always been a converted winger and never been a great defender. If a big bid came in I'd take it.

I'd also keep Holding because I think he, like Bellerin, is still working his way back to full fitness. Could be a useful back-up.

Luiz should be gone but obviously he won't be. Kola is never going to be anything other than but an athletic powerful wingback with limited technical ability and no defensive nous.

Ceballos is beginning to look decent but I wouldn't want to be breaking the bank to sign him. £20-25m maybe, anymore and its too high a gamble if we have limited resources because we need at least one other topclass midfielder.

I'd like to see Edu pull some Brazilian rabbits out of the hat. Surely, there are some outstanding young kids coming through who we could perhaps get.

Make no mistake, though, without any form of european football we are not a great attraction for any of europe's elite players.

Tierney really. Totally outplayed at Man City, taken apart and subded against Wolves, no really good crosses etc. Then was he the person who failed to jump on Spurs second goal. Thats what the comms said. Saka should have played.

Post #513695  Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta with the continued use of the old defence is not improving the team. He has no excuses at all. It looks like he is not the messiah , as so many on here claim, but just a manager who is not good enough.

Who should Arteta be picking to play in defence for us? He joined in Dec, managed to scrape a couple of loans in defence in the jan window, 1 has a serious injury the other has played only a few minutes of football since January.
Arteta picks them because he has no other options.
Are you suggesting he plays a couple of CB from the youth team?

Post #513696  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:24 am 

Defense. Defense. Defense.
We lack team defense while leading. The silly mistakes, are often part of drilling. Muscle memory. The famous backline were drilled to death. Then even after they have pretty much mastered their craft, they had to face some of the best attackers in the world in Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Anelka, Overmars. Players at a skill level they wouldn't have normally seen unless they were in European competition.

Who we have working on defense, needs to either be replaced or get help. Even before we scored, Tottenham should have been a goal up. They scored so easily and quickly after we scored has to be disconcerting. Luiz is...gulp...looking worse than Mustafi. That takes some effort.

Post #513697  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 am 

Arteta's failure to deal with the problems caused by Spurs attackers on our right cost us the point. Should have gotten Bellerin to drop deeper to support the hapless (or is it hopeless?) Mustafi. Also. we need to play some quick ball over the top of opponent's defence - our transition play is too slow. Still Aubameyang should have scored at least once. Unlucky with the post/bar, forced a good save from the GK with a curling shot but that first half miss was horrible.

Post #513698  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 am 

john1 wrote:
Kolasinac’s cockup changed the whole game. There was a palpable feeling of energy and belief draining out of the side after that.

He should be on the out list.

Kola regressed as a player for us. I suspect the Özil factor has an effect. He passes back more than forward. Slows us down in our attacks. That back pass was horrible.

And Luiz is also not someone we can count on. Trying to play with panache, but end up losing the ball and making panic tackles. Too casual in his play.

Mustafi, hot and cold. His second half display was very poor.

How long do we need to work on our ever-shaky defence? Please make best use of Saliba next season. Please do not let Luiz be our key centre defence plan.

Post #513699  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Kolasinac pass map doesnt make for pretty viewing, must be 85% of passes backwards

I feel he is no longer committed to this team. Doesn't bust a gut for the team.

Post #513700  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 am 

john1 wrote:
Arteta said:

I think that’s correct.

So fix the people who keep making similar mistakes. Drop them for good. Allow the youngsters to get their game.

Post #513701  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta with the continued use of the old defence is not improving the team. He has no excuses at all. It looks like he is not the messiah , as so many on here claim, but just a manager who is not good enough.

Who should Arteta be picking to play in defence for us? He joined in Dec, managed to scrape a couple of loans in defence in the jan window, 1 has a serious injury the other has played only a few minutes of football since January.
Arteta picks them because he has no other options.
Are you suggesting he plays a couple of CB from the youth team?[/quote]
Either Holding is the real deal or not. Play him and find out. Not pay Luiz for another year. If Holding is not good enough then we will have to buy. But by keeping Luiz we wait another year to find out. We were told Tierney was also a CB having played in a back 3 for Scotland. It seems he may not even be a FB because Arteta does not trust him there. Hows that for a couple of suggestions.

Post #513702  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Kolasinac has never been good defensively, either technically or positionally. He's only ever really looked good as a marauding wingback.

But he has hardly been marauding when he had the chance, he almost always prefers to pass back. Very irritating for the forwards who were moving into attacking positions. Arteta needs to sort this out.

Post #513703  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 am 

Goonie wrote:
Arteta's failure to deal with the problems caused by Spurs attackers on our right cost us the point. Should have gotten Bellerin to drop deeper to support the hapless (or is it hopeless?) Mustafi. Also. we need to play some quick ball over the top of opponent's defence - our transition play is too slow. Still Aubameyang should have scored at least once. Unlucky with the post/bar, forced a good save from the GK with a curling shot but that first half miss was horrible.

Loaded question for you. Liked the results from Friday? (don't need to answer :42laughter: )

Post #513704  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Either Holding is the real deal or not. Play him and find out. Not pay Luiz for another year. If Holding is not good enough then we will have to buy. But by keeping Luiz we wait another year to find out. We were told Tierney was also a CB having played in a back 3 for Scotland. It seems he may not even be a FB because Arteta does not trust him there. Hows that for a couple of suggestions.

I think Tierney not playing left back in a 4 has nothing to do with Arteta not trusting him there and everything to do with Arteta realising none of our CB can be trusted in a back 4
If we’re playing 3 at the back id like to see Tierney in there and Saka LWB, but that team had won 4 in a row and would have been 5 without Nketiah’s red. Saka has also played a lot of minutes in a short space of time for someone so young.
Mari is our and Arteta wants a left sided defender.
If we didn’t give Luiz another year it still wouldn’t help the CB Arteta has to pick from this season.
I suspect 2 things.
1) Arteta sees these playing in training and decided to pick the ones who are the best and fittest and fit in to his system knowing there is a chance any of them can make a mistake. He’s almost completely sidelined Sokratis for example
2) if Arteta has likely been told he won’t be able to sign 3 new CB this summer then he has to stick with some of them. Luiz on a free and look to generate funds from Sokratis and holding

The defence we have and the mistakes they keep making I really don’t see as something Arteta can take a huge amount of blame for.

Don’t this team have 10 clean sheets in 23 odd games since Arteta took over?

Post #513705  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:59 am 

Rich wrote:

I think the move to change the formation was less about shoring up the leaky defence but Arteta acknowledging his midfield players aren’t good enough. The new formation pushes Bellerin and Tierney into more advanced positions and all of a sudden our midfield looks more functional and energetic as it’s not dependent on 3 players who are very one paced. It’s not a coincidence. It’s pretty astute tactics from Arteta who is working with what he has.

I think your right once better midfield players come in he will revert to a back 4.

Post #513706  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:11 am 

Mustafi was so bad in the 2nd half I was half expecting Harry Kane to throw a custard pie in his face.

Post #513707  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

You are right, TG.

Tierney really. Totally outplayed at Man City, taken apart and subded against Wolves, no really good crosses etc. Then was he the person who failed to jump on Spurs second goal. Thats what the comms said. Saka should have played.

A little unfair Gaz, he's probably been our best defender since his return, which admittedly is a low bar.

Post #513708  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

A little unfair Gaz, he's probably been our best defender since his return, which admittedly is a low bar.

More than a little, he was superb at city for the first 25 minutes charging around like a madman. He struggled a bit at wolves but to say he’s no good at crosses is ludicrous. He’s the most capable defender we have.

Our problems are obvious ..

Mustafi, Xhaka, Özil, kolasinac, Luiz and sadly I hate to admit it because I like him Bellerin. Our squad is clogged with players who aren’t good enough technically or motivated.

Post #513709  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 am 

I think City will win their europe ban appeal, which means to get in europe next year we need to win the fa cup or finish 7th. We're 2 points behind 8th and 4 points behind 7th and 5 points behind 6th with 3 to play.
It is probably folly to think we can pick up 9 points in the remaining games so lets say 7 points is the best we can hope for. Can we see Wolves only picking up 2 points from games v burnley(a), palace (h), chelsea (a). I think the palace game is a win and puts Wolves out of reach for us.
So can we see Sheff utd only picking up 3 points from leicester (a), everton (h), southampton (a)? Id say there is easily more than 3 points in there for them. If we can't get past one of sheff utd or wolves then it'll be no europe unless we win the cup or city are banned
Spurs have newcastle (a), leicester (h), palace (a) - they might only get 5 points to our 7 but there is still a lot of 'ifs'

In summary I can't see how we'll be playing European football next year, it is what the first half of the season deserved. It means we should go all out for the League Cup and will have no fatigue excuses for poor league performances but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

Post #513710  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:22 am 

This morning I read that from Klopp's first squad he inherited in October 2015 only 6 of the 24 senior first team players are in the current squad: Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Firminho, Origi. Only 4 of them really part of the match day squad regularly.
In 5 seasons Klopp turned over 18 of his senior first team squad.
Who from the current squad can you see still with Arsenal in 5 seasons? Leno, Martinez, Bellerin? Saliba,Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Pépé - and potentially some of the young english players. Or, who from the current group could you still see being with Arsenal in 5 years and being good enough to be in a title winning team?

Post #513711  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:26 am 

Rich wrote:
I think City will win their europe ban appeal, which means to get in europe next year we need to win the fa cup or finish 7th. We're 2 points behind 8th and 4 points behind 7th and 5 points behind 6th with 3 to play.
It is probably folly to think we can pick up 9 points in the remaining games so lets say 7 points is the best we can hope for. Can we see Wolves only picking up 2 points from games v burnley(a), palace (h), chelsea (a). I think the palace game is a win and puts Wolves out of reach for us.
So can we see Sheff utd only picking up 3 points from leicester (a), everton (h), southampton (a)? Id say there is easily more than 3 points in there for them. If we can't get past one of sheff utd or wolves then it'll be no europe unless we win the cup or city are banned
Spurs have newcastle (a), leicester (h), palace (a) - they might only get 5 points to our 7 but there is still a lot of 'ifs'

In summary I can't see how we'll be playing European football next year, it is what the first half of the season deserved. It means we should go all out for the League Cup and will have no fatigue excuses for poor league performances but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

Hi Rich,

You say it's what the first half of the season deserved but apparently we've now lost more games under Arteta than Emery and have lost more points from winning positions than any other manager in the PL. So the second half of the season has hardly been a revelation.

I am not trying to imply that Arteta is not the right man for the job, it's just too early to tell and he deserves at least a couple of transfer windows. However, I have not been overly impressed with some of his team selections or his substitutions so the jury is still out for me. If we carry on this way until Christmas I reckon the natives will be increasingly restless.

A lot is riding on the ins and outs this summer.

Post #513712  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

More than a little, he was superb at city for the first 25 minutes charging around like a madman. He struggled a bit at wolves but to say he’s no good at crosses is ludicrous. He’s the most capable defender we have.

Mustafi, Xhaka, Özil, kolasinac, Luiz and sadly I hate to admit it because I like him Bellerin. Our squad is clogged with players who aren’t good enough technically or motivated.

Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.

Post #513713  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:48 am 

socrates wrote:
Mustafi was so bad in the 2nd half I was half expecting Harry Kane to throw a custard pie in his face.

Panic every time.

Post #513714  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 am 

Just saw a headline saying City won their appeal.

Post #513715  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 am 

One thing people have not commented upon is why Pépé replaced Saka in the team. Without Pépé we have looked okay. I have to say Pépé did a couple of good things but they were not often enough.

In reality only Martinez had a good game. It will be interesting to see if there are changes for the Liverpool game.

Post #513716  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just saw a headline saying City won their appeal.

Yep. Business as usual.

Post #513717  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 am 

Live reaction as Manchester City win appeal and Champions League ban is lifted

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... dates-cas/

- Manchester City have Champions League ban overturned
- The club will pay a reduced fine but are free to compete in European football next season
- Report: Man City's Champions League ban overturned by CAS in crushing blow to club rivals and Uefa

Post #513718  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 am 

So, as we suspected, FFP is a complete waste of time because the big clubs with the cleverest lawyers can simply find a way to circumnavigate the rules.

I am sick of PL clubs being owned by foreigners. The govt should never have allowed foreign ownership.

The only chance we have of competing at the top again is to find an owner willing to splash inordinate amounts of cash, and that says it all.

Post #513719  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.

Traore took him apart? eh? traore played up front in that game until Jota came on at which point Traore went wide and AMN was bought on to man mark him. Traore had 2 chances all game, 1 in the first 30 seonds straight through the heart of the team and one he chipped over the bar from a left side but hardly the wing back's fault. I thought it was one of the major talking points after the game how quiet Arsenal had managed to keep Wolves danger man Traore.
I saw a graphic yesterday of the 11 chances Spurs created in yesterday's game and every single one of them came from our right half of the pitch

Post #513720  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 am 

socrates wrote:
So, as we suspected, FFP is a complete waste of time because the big clubs with the cleverest lawyers can simply find a way to circumnavigate the rules.

I am sick of PL clubs being owned by foreigners. The govt should never have allowed foreign ownership.

It is amazing isn't it. No one really has to look in any detail at finances and financial records to understand that a team like City to have come from where they have to where they are now, with the astronomical investment in transfers set against the hugely over inflated sponsorship from their own owners are clearly doing the exact thing FFP was set up to counteract.

Yet the authorities look at it and basically say no case to answer here.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12840, 12841, 12842, 12843, 12844, 12845, 12846 ... 14269  Next