Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 95 guests

Post #514681  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:17 pm 

Emery wants to sign Guendouzi for Villarreal

Post #514682  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 pm 

This on the 55 being made redundant and other financials.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... a-18722368

Post #514683  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lots of talk that the Willian deal is very close, and that if it happens there is no chance of Arsenal getting Coutinho.
Also some talk tonight from French football that we're close to Gabriel Magalhaes, young left sided CB from Lille. 22 years old, 6ft 3". Must be seen as the long term partner for Saliba and much more like the profile we need

With Saliba and Mari both being 6ft4, I'll be livid if we concede from a single corner next season.

Post #514684  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:44 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Lots of talk that the Willian deal is very close, and that if it happens there is no chance of Arsenal getting Coutinho.
Also some talk tonight from French football that we're close to Gabriel Magalhaes, young left sided CB from Lille. 22 years old, 6ft 3". Must be seen as the long term partner for Saliba and much more like the profile we need

With Saliba and Mari both being 6ft4, I'll be livid if we concede from a single corner next season.

But the first choice pairing is Luiz and Mustafi. :)

We've been linked with Coutinho, Willian and now Gabriel... plus Luiz and Martinelli... the influence of Edu?

Post #514685  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Emery wants to sign Guendouzi for Villarreal

As replacement to little man Cazorla? Big shoes to fill.

Post #514686  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:10 am 

This Gabriel character looks physically imposing at a young age, I hope the rumors are true.

Post #514687  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 am 

KEY DATES 2020-21

Europa League Aug. 5-21
Champions League Aug. 7-23
UEFA Nations League Sept. 4-9
Premier League beings Sept. 12
Bundesliga begins Sept. 18
Serie A begins Sept. 19
Transfer window closes Oct. 5
UCL group stage begins Oct. 20
UEL group stage begins Oct. 22

Post #514688  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’ll make you a little bet, a pint of strong lager says when our transfer business is done this summer our net spend is zero and we are in profit. Bet that happens

To me that's a sensible transfer policy. But we are struggling with attracting the talent the manager wants and getting rid of those he doesn't. If we sell Guendouzi and use the money to buy Ceballos, I have no complaints. Similarly if bringing in Gabriel Magalhaes is financed by the sale of Chambers, Sokratis, Kolasinac, and he turns out to be a good buy, the board may even be praise for their transfer activities.

Post #514689  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:48 am 

I hadn't realized how long Martinez has been at the club. I'm very, very happy for him. He's going to give Arteta a tough decision when Leno comes back from injury.

Post #514690  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:54 am 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 55826.html

Post #514691  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 am 

Deebo wrote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-redundancies-latest-news-miguel-delaney-a9655826.html

I think this reflects really poorly on the club, but I'm happy the press decided to take some time off from speculating about Manchester City's next big signing to complain about morality in football.

Post #514692  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:00 am 

Deebo wrote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-redundancies-latest-news-miguel-delaney-a9655826.html

Hi Deebo,

The article makes the same point I made yesterday, I do think it is morally indefensible to sack 55 employees when the savings that will make is simply a drop in the ocean compared to the money spent (often unwisely) on player transfers and salaries. If the saving is around £2.5m that's about 60k a week or the salary of an average back-up player.

Kroenke could have kept them on for a year, until the landscape becomes a little clearer, and it would have been no more than a little loose change to a man of his wealth.

I get the bit that some of these jobs are simply no longer there because of the effects of Covid but I feel this has done the reputation of the club no favours at all at a time of extraordinary hardship for many people.

Post #514693  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:11 am 

Hey Hodd,

What on earth is going on re the scouting network. Are we getting rid of scouting in favour of a contact book aproach to signing players? I'm dumbfounded by what's going on.

Surely, the way forward for a club like Arsenal if they wish to compete with the elite clubs is to have THE best scouting network, not none at all.

Post #514694  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 am 

Apparently the players are annoyed that 55 staff have lost their jobs because they were told the 12.5% pay cut was necessary to avoid the loss of jobs. We were the only team in the league to take the pay cut, Arteta was key in convincing the players - what does this do for the trust and confidence between players and senior management.

I think we have a really great manager in Arteta, his attention to detail his professionalism and from what I've read he's incredibly well respected by everyone and quite simply a damn nice bloke. I'm at odds to work out how Arteta's vision for the club (which seems hugely positive and correct) works with what is going on above him?

Post #514695  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 am 

Deebo wrote:

Ridiculous article.

Also what is being missed here is that the people involved would have been provided redundancy payments too, generous or not I don’t know but far better to get a redundancy payment and move on with your life than a false impression you have a job that doesn’t exist.

Also wasn’t it suggested our staff had become bloated anyway ? EDU commented how bloated the club's coaching staff had become when he joined and he axed loads of people before Christmas including Steve morrow as part of streamlining. This seems to be getting missed. I recall Arsene made some remarks that could be construed as suggesting we had way too many staff.

Feel for the people involved but it’s just realistically dealing with the reality of this horrid thing.

Post #514696  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Deebo wrote:

Ridiculous article.

Also what is being missed here is that the people involved would have been provided redundancy payments too, generous or not I don’t know but far better to get a redundancy payment and move on with your life than a false impression you have a job that doesn’t exist.

Also wasn’t it suggested our staff had become bloated anyway ? EDU commented how bloated the club's coaching staff had become when he joined and he axed loads of people before Christmas including Steve morrow as part of streamlining. This seems to be getting missed. I recall Arsene made some remarks that could be construed as suggesting we had way too many staff.

Feel for the people involved but it’s just realistically dealing with the reality of this horrid thing.

You are wrong on this one TG.

The amount being saved here on salaries is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the money being squandered on agents fees, greasing the palms of intermediaries etc.

Saving around £2-3m on wages is loose change to a man of Kroenke's wealth and it is all very well saying that they will get redundancy payments but where do they get another job in the current environment.

The Krankies could have of at least waited until the dust settled a bit on the Covid thing. In a year's time things could look a whole lot different.

The gloss has been taken off the elation of a cup final win by ill-timed redundancies that reflect badly on the club.

It's morally indefensible and the timing stinks.

Post #514697  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ridiculous article.

You are wrong on this one TG.

The amount being saved here on salaries is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the money being squandered on agents fees, greasing the palms of intermediaries etc.

Saving around £2-3m on wages is loose change to a man of Kroenke's wealth and it is all very well saying that they will get redundancy payments but where do they get another job in the current environment.

The Krankies could have of at least waited until the dust settled a bit on the Covid thing. In a year's time things could look a whole lot different.

The gloss has been taken off the elation of a cup final win by ill-timed redundancies that reflect badly on the club.

It's morally indefensible and the timing stinks.

You can say Kroenke should have paid their salaries but he doesn’t put money into the club.

You can say Mesut Özil should pay it, but he’s contractually bound and already refused a pay cut.

You’ve already given the players a pay cut they agree to so therefore what are Arsenal supposed to do?

Oh step back investing in the team and don’t acquire new players or pay agents. Well that will definitely mean these people won’t have jobs in future.

This is happening up and down the country, what makes football think of itself any differently.

Post #514698  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 am 

I'm sure these names are not unknown but some interesting ones among them. Wish they had more defenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjyx0j7R5E&t=29s

Post #514699  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am 

Nails it on it’s head.

https://shewore.com/2020/08/06/arsenal- ... explained/

Post #514700  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 am 

Just being curious about what exactly was said can have me be labeled homophobic.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53678416

Post #514701  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am 

Have another go at this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.c ... 623209/amp

Post #514702  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am 

Goonie wrote:
But the first choice pairing is Luiz and Mustafi. :)

Mustafi will probably miss the start of the season though.

On a little more serious note, looking beyond the height of our recent (and rumoured) signings in central defense, it seems like all three of Mari, Saliba and Gabriel have a reputation of being very comfortable with the ball. This is possibly a big part of Arteta's strategy, and a reason for why he extended the contract of Luiz despite his uneaven defensive performances. Our ability to play out from the back was one of many things that improved under Arteta compared to Emery's reign.

Post #514703  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

As you said, you feel for the individuals affected, but this article makes a lot of good points.

Post #514704  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hey Hodd,

What on earth is going on re the scouting network. Are we getting rid of scouting in favour of a contact book aproach to signing players? I'm dumbfounded by what's going on.

Surely, the way forward for a club like Arsenal if they wish to compete with the elite clubs is to have THE best scouting network, not none at all.

I know no more than anyone else on this

Post #514705  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm 

Saw this this morning......"Chelsea have prioritised the signing of £60m-rated Uruguay defender Jose Gimenez, 25, from Atletico Madrid after being priced out of a move from West Ham's England midfielder and centre-back Declan Rice"

That sums up how craxy it is to shop in the Prem for english talent. I like Rice but he plays for West Ham. Gimenez has played champions league finals and is at the top end of La Liga with Atletico in often the meanest defence in the league and has nearly 60 caps for his country - but Chelsea are going for him at £60m because they are PRICED OUT of a move for Rice!

Crazy

Post #514706  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm 

dec wrote:
...I have shirts from 20 years ago that look exactly like they were when I bought them.
But do you?

Post #514707  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:58 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Very disappointed; they've been fantastic this season and deserved to go up, albeit they were 2nd best last night. It would have been nice for them to have been able to christen their new stadium as a premier league club
I have a soft spot for Fulham, but it would have been something else to see Brentford back in the top division. What a great effort they made. Last time we played them in the League was May 1947 when we won by the only goal of the game scored by Paddy Sloan. Sloan must have been the definition of have boots will travel, including a spell at Milan. Read his Wiki entry!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Sloan

Post #514708  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:21 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
...I have shirts from 20 years ago that look exactly like they were when I bought them.
But do you?

Mean

Post #514709  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm 

According to Matt Law, Aubameyang is close to signing a new contract until 2023.

Post #514710  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
According to Matt Law, Aubameyang is close to signing a new contract until 2023.

And Willian turned down a 2 year deal at £140k per week with Chelsea to sign a 3 year deal at £100k per week with us. One of my fears with Willian was paying him upwards of £200k a week. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if that is his wage

Post #514711  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
But do you?

Mean
Back in the 80s I helped out in the Miners Strike and was given a Coal Not Dole tee shirt by one of the mining families from Kent. In those days I was a guy who had to run around in a shower to get wet - a sort of shorter version of Peter Crouch. The shirt fitted well and I was proud to wear it. A couple of years ago I attempted to try it on for old times sake. Sadly I looked like I was gas mark ten pregnant.

Post #514712  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm 

Arteta is going to have a tough choice once Mustafi is back from injury. :42laughter:

Post #514713  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Back in the 80s I helped out in the Miners Strike and was given a Coal Not Dole tee shirt by one of the mining families from Kent. In those days I was a guy who had to run around in a shower to get wet - a sort of shorter version of Peter Crouch. The shirt fitted well and I was proud to wear it. A couple of years ago I attempted to try it on for old times sake. Sadly I looked like I was gas mark ten pregnant.

It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Post #514714  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

And Willian turned down a 2 year deal at £140k per week with Chelsea to sign a 3 year deal at £100k per week with us. One of my fears with Willian was paying him upwards of £200k a week. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if that is his wage

Doesn’t sound right Rich. Those figures, if correct, would mean Willian getting £14,560,000 in two years at Chelsea (£140,000 x 52 = £7,280,000 x 2 = £14,560,000). At Arsenal he would be getting £15,600,000 in three years (£100,000 x 52 = £5,200,000 x 3 = £15,600,000).

That represents a difference of £1,040,000 more that he’d be getting at Arsenal for staying a year longer. He could make up that difference by joining an American or Chinese club paying him £20,000 a week on leaving Chelsea in two years. In reality, I’m sure he would be able find a club somewhere that would be willing to give him appreciably more than twenty grand a week in a couple of years time (when he’d still be 33, albeit on the verge of 34 as his birthday is 9th August). Hence your figures just don’t sound right.

Post #514715  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Doesn’t sound right Rich. Those figures, if correct, would mean Willian getting £14,560,000 in two years at Chelsea (£140,000 x 52 = £7,280,000 x 2 = £14,560,000). At Arsenal he would be getting £15,600,000 in three years (£100,000 x 52 = £5,200,000 x 3 = £15,600,000).

That represents a difference of £1,040,000 more that he’d be getting at Arsenal for staying a year longer. He could make up that difference by joining an American or Chinese club paying him £20,000 a week on leaving Chelsea in two years. In reality, I’m sure he would be able find a club somewhere that would be willing to give him appreciably more than twenty grand a week in a couple of years time (when he’d still be 33, albeit on the verge of 34 as his birthday is 9th August). Hence your figures just don’t sound right.

Bernard I agree. On the face of it..it doesn’t seem to make sense but there may be other aspects to the deal not reported....such as....win and trophy bonuses, appearance targets, the security of an extra years employment with full medical insurance, personal rights clauses like percentage of shirt sales, an extra year of pension contributions..... I’m kinda making these up a bit as I go along But you get the drift.

Post #514716  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm 

The gooner now seems keen to promote internet and social media hysteria

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5300

Post #514717  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 pm 

Few journalists saying AMN has been told he can leave the club. Whilst he may be a player we can generate a decent fee for there are a lot of players who should be leaving before him and I’d actually be against him leaving as beyond Saka I think he’s the best academy player we’ve got. Seems to have flipped a switch with his work with Arteta.

If he does leave the price needs to be £25m minimum. Kyle Walker peters is going to Southampton for £15m. If we sell AMN for anything close to £15m I’d be fuming

Post #514718  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
But do you?

Ha. :angel9: . I certainly don't. They still fit me but would be entirely decorative these days. I'd pull half the muscles in my body if I tried to play football these days.

Post #514719  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

It happens. I took up running in April - I was working from home and not really seeing any people because of corona, so I needed something to occupy myself with (and I'd been a lazy b****** for far too long). After going on a run three times a week for about three months I finally climbed the scales at the end of June and found out I'd gained five pounds.

Muscle is heavier than fat, Haz......

Post #514720  Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Few journalists saying AMN has been told he can leave the club. Whilst he may be a player we can generate a decent fee for there are a lot of players who should be leaving before him and I’d actually be against him leaving as beyond Saka I think he’s the best academy player we’ve got. Seems to have flipped a switch with his work with Arteta.

If he does leave the price needs to be £25m minimum. Kyle Walker peters is going to Southampton for £15m. If we sell AMN for anything close to £15m I’d be fuming

Hi Rich,

He shouldn't be leaving, he's homegrown and he's versatile. He's quick, athletic, technically adept and quite strong. The only negative was in his head but he seems to have sorted himself out now. He has the makings of a better right back than Bellerin.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12865, 12866, 12867, 12868, 12869, 12870, 12871 ... 14269  Next