Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests

Post #506161  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
But I’m not anti-Ljungberg at all. I consider him an Arsenal legend. I’m just prepared to accept he was grossly overrated as a player. It seems you’re not. That’s your problem, not mine.

I disagree he was a superb player,

He scored critical match winning goals and never shirked. I always loved watching him play. I think the reason he got less acclaim was the quality of the team he was in which was sensational. Scored a winner and is one of only 16 players who have scored hat tricks in the league for us since the start of the premier league

Ramsey or Ljungberg ? Don’t make me laugh. If he was around now our whole team would be built around him.

Completely disagree. You’re one of the people who make me see Ljungberg as grossly overrated. A really likeable person, but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

Post #506162  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I disagree he was a superb player,

He scored critical match winning goals and never shirked. I always loved watching him play. I think the reason he got less acclaim was the quality of the team he was in which was sensational. Scored a winner and is one of only 16 players who have scored hat tricks in the league for us since the start of the premier league

Ramsey or Ljungberg ? Don’t make me laugh. If he was around now our whole team would be built around him.

Completely disagree. You’re one of the people who make me see Ljungberg as grossly overrated. A really likeable person, but not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

You think Guendouzi is “the heartbeat of our side” yet Freddie “not great”

In 2002 when Pires got injured if it wasn’t for Ljungberg we wouldn’t have won that title.

Unfortunately your talking nonsense again,

Post #506163  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

In 2002 when Pires got injured if it wasn’t for Ljungberg we wouldn’t have won that title.

You can’t seriously be that stupid. Guendouzi is the genuine heartbeat of the current team and Ljungberg was nowhere near great.

Post #506164  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can’t seriously be that stupid. Guendouzi is the genuine heartbeat of the current team and Ljungberg was nowhere near great.

Guendouzi stunk the place out this week when he came on. He looked worse than a 32 year old centre half being played out of position that he came on for.

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

At this point your as logical on here as man who goes around saying ‘Oooh, you’re looking a bit chunky’ at a convention for recovering anorexics.

Post #506165  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Rodgers won't leave.

Having been told what Rodgers said when asked about the job, I think he would take it. The rumours are buying him out of his Leicester contract would cost £14m. In modern Premier League football that is peanuts. Worth every single penny.

Agreed, moneyat that level to buy out a manager is nothing when you compare it to what we spend on players. The right manager changes an entire team.

Let’s say Barca want to ‘buy’ Klopp, why shouldn’t that cost £100m. Is there any greater risk that Klopp won’t be a success than if they spent £100m on Salah for example. If Klopp is at his best that is better for Barca than if Salah is at his best for them.

Post #506166  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 pm 

Darren wrote:

I just get the feeling that Per and Freddie are very decent coaches. Am fascinated to see how this plays out. I am more excited by tomorrow’s game than I have been for a very long time. Something just feels right about this, based on absolutely nothing tangible. I would love this to be a success. However you feel about the two as players they are real Arsenal men who both absolutely got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

Well any change is to be welcomed Darren ... you'd have to hope Ljungberrg had zero input in his Emery relationship .

Yes it does seem a good mix ...but don't get your hopes too high .

This passing backwards sideways will take some time to eradicate .

but if Fred turns out better than he was as a player as Decaf points out we could win the league next year

.... if Per turns out better than he was as a player we should avoid relegation .

Post #506167  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 pm 

The one big take away from this move is a positive.
Josh wants to win. Stan would not have pulled the trigger at this time.

Post #506168  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:58 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
.... if Per turns out better than he was as a player we should avoid relegation .

Give it an effing rest.

Post #506169  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Guendouzi stunk the place out this week when he came on. He looked worse than a 32 year old centre half being played out of position that he came on for.

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

At this point your as logical on here as man who goes around saying ‘Oooh, you’re looking a bit chunky’ at a convention for recovering anorexics.

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone. Plenty of players made contributions to title wins. Ljungberg one of them.

Seriously, I’m worried about you. I hope you’re okay.

Post #506170  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone. Plenty of players made contributions to title wins. Ljungberg one of them.

Guendouzi might be the midfielder we hope he can be one day, but currently not at the level we need. One paced, defensively open, goes down looking under pressure. When he's the age Freddie was at his peak at Arsenal compare their impact, but atm I'd suggest there's no contest.

Post #506171  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:29 pm 

Ash wrote:
Guendouzi might be the midfielder we hope he can be one day, but currently not at the level we need. One paced, defensively open, goes down looking under pressure. When he's the age Freddie was at his peak at Arsenal compare their impact, but atm I'd suggest there's no contest.

Good for you to have your own opinion. I just think it’s hopelessly wrong.

Post #506172  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Good for you to have your own opinion. I just think it’s hopelessly wrong.

:laughing7: my own opinion. Who's else would I have?

No he's not that bad, but honestly honestly, in an Arsenal team actually challenging for top 4 and, heaven forbid we see it again in our lifetimes, the title, Guendouzi has got some improving to do and some consistency to achieve to make that team. As is true for half this squad. He's young and is very confident and looks decent in fits and spurts, but I don't take it for granted he'll just keep improving with age and by 22 onwards will be Petit mark II. I hope he does but it's by no means guaranteed.

Post #506173  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ljungberg won us titles.

Utterly clueless

He had an off day on Thursday. That doesn’t mean Guendouzi isn’t the heartbeat of the team. Ljungberg contributed to title wins. He did NOT win us titles alone.

He did, he carried our torch after pires got injured in 2002. Anybody denying this is an idiot. His goals literally won us the points needed.

Guendouzi was not only bad this week but has been for several games. Is he a good prospect ? Certainly looks to have many great attributes , better than Wilshere or Fabregas at similar ages ? Not on your nelly and to suggest we struggle without him is nonsense.

At this point your credibility is equal to Prince Andrew. Say something else

Post #506174  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:50 pm 

Ash wrote:

No he's not that bad, but honestly honestly, in an Arsenal team actually challenging for top 4 and, heaven forbid we see it again in our lifetimes, the title, Guendouzi has got some improving to do and some consistency to achieve to make that team. As is true for half this squad. He's young and is very confident and looks decent in fits and spurts, but I don't take it for granted he'll just keep improving with age and by 22 onwards will be Petit mark II. I hope he does but it's by no means guaranteed.

Talksport declared Guendouzi as our player of the season so far. Apart from Aubameyang, who else is a candidate? Leno maybe? While I know Talksport isn’t the most reliable source, I think their presenter(s) got this one right.

Post #506175  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:51 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Guendouzi is a fine prospect, his attitude is excellent with his aggression but his technical abilities and speed of distribution or lack of it (at the moment) isn’t great however, to suggest he’s anywhere near Ljungbergs level is daft.

Post #506176  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Talksport declared Guendouzi as our player of the season so far. Apart from Aubameyang,t.

Well no it’s Aubameyang

....I could have banged Kim Basinger if I wasn’t me !

Post #506177  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Is he a good prospect ? Certainly looks to have many great attributes , better than Wilshere or Fabregas at similar ages ? Not on your nelly and to suggest we struggle without him is nonsense.

I think thats the thing really, we've seen players play better at the same age and either go on to be the players we hoped or not quite make it. Guendouzi could be either.

Also for me tellingly close to zero goals and assists. That's the cutting edge and when any quality you have comes under pressure and, as of yet, he doesn't deliver. Which is just to say he needs to keep improving, not that we should put him in waste disposal quite yet.

Post #506178  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
He did, he carried our torch after pires got injured in 2002. Anybody denying this is an idiot. His goals literally won us the points needed.

Guendouzi was not only bad this week but has been for several games. Is he a good prospect ? Certainly looks to have many great attributes , better than Wilshere or Fabregas at similar ages ? Not on your nelly and to suggest we struggle without him is nonsense.

Well done Top Gun. You’ve driven me off the forum to avoid interacting with an idiot like you. This is my last post after first joining in 1998, over 21 years. Sod off Top Gun, you’re an offensive fool with serious problems.

Post #506179  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well done Top Gun. You’ve driven me off the forum to avoid interacting with an idiot like you. This is my last post after first joining in 1998, over 21 years. Sod off Top Gun, you’re an offensive fool with serious pr
oblems.

Come back dude !!

I was only pointing out your general daftness ! Relax !

Ljungberg is rubbish ! Guendouzi should be king !

Whatever will make you happy

Post #506180  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 pm 

That was your fault Ash you should apologise !

Post #506181  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Bernard. Stop throwing your *%^@*** toys out of the pram, it wasn't even close to that bad.

Come tomorrow we'll have an actual game to discuss.

Post #506182  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

You're the one who brought up Prince Andrew! Part of the British Royal family! You know he has a soft spot for Germans.

Post #506183  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:12 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You're the one who brought up Prince Andrew! Part of the British Royal family! You know he has a soft spot for Germans.

:laughing7:

Bollocks your absolutely right.

Ljungberg, the English, pastry based food products. All obvious points of contention to be avoided

Post #506184  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 pm 

The mirror has just gone from Rodgers to Arteta strongly

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-20997533

To be honest I think this will be it. Cheap, available, Spanish speaking for Raul, obvious. Very Kroenke

Post #506185  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Ljungberg, the English, pastry based food products. All obvious points of contention to be avoided

With the absolute drivel you 2 talk I question all the basics.

Obviously Darwin's theory of natural selection is not working.

Post #506186  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

Entertainment expectation levels must be pretty damn low in Townsville .....

" he is a good manager " ..... what ...just because he avoided 8 -2 and 6 - 1 losses " :icon_scratch:

He was abysmal , worst Arsenal manager ever , set out to play an awful slow build up
style of football , then didn't have the brains to coach something else when it failed week and week out .

" The right location for his skills " ....

Hmmm let's see here ... would have to be Spanish speaking .... ahhmmm.. [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

Your missus had a word to you recently about your rum intake?

Post #506187  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 am 

Here's hoping Ljungberg will play more direct football, especially down the wings. He was a fantastic player for us there. Ljungberg could always be counted upon to drive forward down the wings, or run into the opposition box to latch on to passes. He is just like Pires. Both very driven players. We have missed that aspect of play ever since Emery decided to experiment.

The team I hope to see against Norwich

Leno
Bellerin Chambers Holding (if fit) Tierney
Pépé Torreira Guendozi Willock Martinelli
Aubameyang

Sok if Holding is injured.

Waiting in the wings, Martinez, Lacazette, Saka, Özil, Reiss, Mustafi, AMN, Smith-Rowe

Forget Xhaka

Post #506188  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:40 am 

I have a feeling that Ljungberg may get a few weeks in charge. I think the club would like to see how he takes to the role because he has apparently impressed a lot of people with his coaching and his energy and ideas.

I would not be surprised to see him given the role until the end of the season if he impresses over the next few weeks. I like the idea of Mertesacker in the dug-out as well. That could be a good combination.

Post #506189  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Here's hoping Ljungberg will play more direct football, especially down the wings. He was a fantastic player for us there. Ljungberg could always be counted upon to drive forward down the wings, or run into the opposition box to latch on to passes. He is just like Pires. Both very driven players. We have missed that aspect of play ever since Emery decided to experiment.

Leno
Aubameyang

Waiting in the wings, Martinez, Lacazette, Saka, Özil, Reiss, Mustafi, AMN, Smith-Rowe

Forget Xhaka

Hi g7.

It will be interesting to see how Ljungberg sees things, especially with regard to Özil and Pépé etc. Will he give Martinelli a run, who will be his centreback pairing? A lot of questions to be answered.

Post #506190  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

With the absolute drivel you 2 talk I question all the basics.

Obviously Darwin's theory of natural selection is not working.

Righto

Post #506191  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

" The right location for his skills " ....

Hmmm let's see here ... would have to be Spanish speaking .... ahhmmm.. [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

She wouldn't dare Gaz .. there's only one boss in this household .

I let her have her way 95% of the time but really important issues like how many V8 s I feel like buying ; how much rum I want to drink . She just has to zip it .

Bought another Ford flathead couple of days ago .

Getting my son's alternator checked at a local auto electrician started waffling to this old coot .
He was getting his trailer wiring sorted ..... "yeah I've got one of those somewhere "... went down to his workshop , old bulldozers , forklifts , pumps , gearboxes , hunks of pipe , steelwork ...you name it he had it

He roots around ... "under that bit of canvas "... there she is .... been lying there for fifty years . Seized solid . Paid $100 ... pretty horrified when I pulled the heads and sump off but after a high pressure water blast , a bit of wire buffing it looks more presentable .
If I can hammer the pistons out I think I can get it running .

He had a whopping great brute of speedboat called Topaz 30 feet long , had a 540 cubic inch Chevvy twin turbo producing 1100 horsepower ; reckons it does 85 mph .

https://boatmags.com/classic-offshore-powerboat-topaz/

Post #506192  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 am 

socrates wrote:
I have a feeling that Ljungberg may get a few weeks in charge.

Soc ......now I know I've been critical of you in the past but I think you've nailed this one ...... visionary :icon_mrgreen:

Post #506193  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 am 

Bernard, I hope you reconsider your decision to leave the forum, you would be very much missed.

As for the football, I read somewhere that Freddie favours high pressing (good) and playing out from the back ( :36angers: ).
I hope he plays 4 at the back, leaves Xhaka out of the squad and finds a way to include Martinelli.

Post #506194  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:00 am 

socrates wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Leno
Aubameyang

Forget Xhaka

Hi g7.

It will be interesting to see how Ljungberg sees things, especially with regard to Özil and Pépé etc. Will he give Martinelli a run, who will be his centreback pairing? A lot of questions to be answered.

For some reason I have a feeling he may play chambers or holding at centre back.

I think Luiz needs to be dropped but seems to carry some senior status in the squad that doesn’t allow it.

It’s going to be interesting

Post #506195  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:
I have a feeling that Ljungberg may get a few weeks in charge.

Soc ......now I know I've been critical of you in the past but I think you've nailed this one ...... visionary :icon_mrgreen:

Look you rum addled windbag, Warrior does not pay me a retainer of millions a year for nothing you know. :laughing7:

I will give some more insightful thoughts.........in my experience games like today either end in a win, lose or draw so I think there are three ways today's game could go.

Post #506196  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Give it an effing rest.

You are welcome to hold idiosyncratic, frankly weird, or even offensive views. However, if you call people 'stupid' for disagreeing with you, and then tell them it is 'their problem' that they don't agree with you, do not expect them to 'give it an effing rest'.

Post #506197  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

She wouldn't dare Gaz .. there's only one boss in this household .

I let her have her way 95% of the time but really important issues like how many V8 s I feel like buying ; how much rum I want to drink . She just has to zip it .

Quite right too. You were a mere shadow of your normal self when you were off the sauce.

Post #506198  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:49 am 

Freddie warming up at Carrow Road...in 2004.

Attachments:

Post #506199  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:03 pm 

Leno, chambers, mustafi, Luiz, kolasinac, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock, Özil, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Slightly disappointed with that line up. Still if the attitude is right it’s good enough to win.

Must be one of the slowest and least mobile 11’s we’ve ever fielded.

Pace, power, mobility - the 3 things you desperately need in this league.

Post #506200  Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:11 pm 

A few big clubs sniffing around Aubameyang. He’s got 18 months left on his deal and it wouldn’t surprise me if he had no intention of extending his deal. Therefore we have to seriously consider listening to offers whilst he has some value.

Papers saying £70m + James Rodriguez from Real Madrid.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12652, 12653, 12654, 12655, 12656, 12657, 12658 ... 14269  Next