Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 91 guests

Post #511721  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 am 

Tough to have a top 5 dribblers list without Zidane but I guess its possible.

Post #511722  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 am 

The one thing I notice between my British friends and Americans is a lot more banter related to sports. I'm not saying its something I don't like. Its just a cultural difference and emphasizes just how important and integral football specifically (because I assume the same level of banter isn't used for the Rugby Union, or cricket) to the masses.

I enjoy it. I give as well as get. This friend is a Liverpool supporter, living in England and not even a strong one. As a kid, yes, but he doesn't look for their results and I don't think he's seen a match on tv for years. But he knows how I feel about The Arsenal, so its usually one way...haha.

He has helped me understand British culture, especially as it applies to this forum, and my interaction, which has been very, very helpful. :1laughter:

Attachments:

Post #511723  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:39 am 

In addition, I have two very good friends in America, one is a hard core Boston Celtics fan who I despise because as a 76ers basketball fan, they were our hated enemy as a child and the main reason I supporter Rangers over Celtic.

The other friend is a Dallas Cowboys fans who are hated by my Philadelphia Eagles in American football. We correspond frequently and as I recall our communications, its rarely infused with sports banter. During the season it changes. But mainly when they play each other. They will make a general statement about my team but its directed to all.

Post #511724  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The one thing I notice between my British friends and Americans is a lot more banter related to sports. I'm not saying its something I don't like. Its just a cultural difference and emphasizes just how important and integral football specifically (because I assume the same level of banter isn't used for the Rugby Union, or cricket) to the masses.

I enjoy it. I give as well as get. This friend is a Liverpool supporter, living in England and not even a strong one. As a kid, yes, but he doesn't look for their results and I don't think he's seen a match on tv for years. But he knows how I feel about The Arsenal, so its usually one way...haha.

He has helped me understand British culture, especially as it applies to this forum, and my interaction, which has been very, very helpful. :1laughter:

You’d think that if your mate is on lockdown in Dubai that he’d have learned how to spell Emirates by now. :42laughter:

Post #511725  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 am 

The inconvenient truth is that there are a certain percentage of Americans. The exact percentage we may never know but we can, with a fair amount of confidence, say at least 30 or 35 percent, who literally have no issues whatsoever with subversion of the rule of law....and subversion of their fellow citizens.
While other countries, like Britain, may totally disagree with a Tory or Labourite, they will still see that person as a fellow citizen.
These hard core Trump supporters literally see other Americans as an existential threat to not only themselves but to their progeny. We can try to understand as difficult as it may be but it will be difficult trying to understand someone and something that is completely alien to you.
What is shocking, to me at least, is that they were always there. Lurking in behind the scenes. We had clues. Gun sales have been at near record highs. 2nd or 3rd most sales recently. Why 2nd or 3rd and not 1st? Obama's election eclipsed all prior records. We have elected Democrats before (Clinton), some far more liberal (Carter, Kennedy), so why didn't they elicit the same reaction? There is an elephant there and it has a name that's whispered and we have done a great job of ignoring it, walking around it as difficult as it may be.
I honestly see little difference between those who zealously supported a certain Austrian in 1933 Germany and now. I honestly believe, given cover from repercussions, consequences, public shame, they would at the worse entertain some of the same acts against not just some of the same but new ones as well.
The irony is the ones that claim to love the constitution, love the freedom, have zero issues with their man spitting on all of it. None whatsoever.
How do you reason with such minds in a democracy? Dishonest actors in a debate. Total disregard for the opposition, for the rules, for ethics and morality? How do you run a free and open society with that many people who simply will use Machiavelian means first and foremost. And the established laws are seen only as a weapon against those who they believe are foolhardy to rely on it.
There have been protests to end the lockdowns by 1000s of his followers. Mainly in 3 states, coincidentally run by democratic governors. One of the reasons they are doing this is partially because Herr President believes he can not win re-election without the economy going back to some semblance of normalcy. But there are surreptitious other reasons whispered on progressive chat rooms. The virus seems to be claiming almost all elderly with pre-existing illnesses and ethnic minorities with the aforementioned status. The latter making up the lions share grossly disproportionally in new cases and deaths due to long standing difficulty in access to healthcare. Two groups his minions see as insufficient reasons to have a lockdown. Two groups they feel we could well without anyway.
As for the article below, one of the main secret strategies of Steve Bannon, the nationalist, was to appoint as many judges as possible. Its not only the Supreme Court that serve for life. The Federal judges under them in district courts are also lifetime appointments. So, this will set the stage one day to have legal cover to overturn abortion, or to interpret actions such as a moslem ban as legal among other things such as lawsuits regarding voter suppression that are used especially in former Confederate states.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/610171/
Trump Is Threatening to Subvert the Constitution

Post #511726  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:32 am 

So Victoria Beckham, with a combined wealth of £335m, has furloughed 30 of her employees. She's apparently just bought a flat in Miami for £17m but can't look after her own employees.

She is taking the piss and should be brought to account, after all her and her husband made their vast fortune from their careers in England. The true colours are shown when the country needs them to step up.

*%^@ the Beckhams, Branson and all the other multi-millionaires and billionaires who have *%^@** the country over in its time of need.

Post #511727  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
The question in my mind about PPE is just why there isn't enough of it. Presumably the NHS has an Emergency Plan, and it would be remarkable if the onset of a pandemic was not seen as one of the most important emergencies to fall within the remit of that Plan. The provision of PPE for all NHS frontline staff must surely be one of the most basic requirements of the Plan? Whether you want to blame the government or NHS management or Gordon Brown, the undeniable fact is that scurrying around for PPE a month into the emergency suggests very strongly that the Emergency Plan has an unforgiveable hole in it.

Hi OMG,

You'd have thought that with much of industry happy to step-up and help out PPE would be a relatively easy thing to re-purpose manufacturing facilities to make.

Post #511728  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:32 am 

Now you've done it and made me see what the fuss was about in that cup final. .I'm thinking What does it take to get a booking in those days?

Post #511729  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:47 am 

Today’s times article without a paywall. A must read

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https ... -hq3b9tlgh

Post #511730  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:48 am 

John Gleiber sent me this old photo to post.

Attachment:

Post #511731  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:19 am 

warrior wrote:

Attachment:
Arsenal 1913 .jpg

Interestingly all the staff sport moustaches, but only a few of the players.
Perhaps one of our more senior members (naming no names) can explain the significance of this.

Post #511732  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:39 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

Attachment:
Arsenal 1913 .jpg

Perhaps one of our more senior members (naming no names) can explain the significance of this.

I'm not as 'senior' as some, by any means, but;

To increase pace by reducing wind resistance?

Post #511733  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:44 am 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Thought provoking theory John. The beginning of sport science as we know it?

Post #511734  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Perhaps back then moustaches were generally fashionable for older men. A sort of reverse of very short mini skirts now being a fashion followed by younger girls more than older women.

Post #511735  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Perhaps back then moustaches were generally fashionable for older men. A sort of reverse of very short mini skirts now being a fashion followed by younger girls more than older women.

I think we're all grateful for the mini skirt situation Bernard.
You could be right about moustaches. I believe that in some cultures a man can only grow a moustache after marriage.

Post #511736  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Narrator: Bernard, though he had been to Newcastle, had never visited the Bigg Market...

As for the moustaches obviously working men couldn't afford them back then.

Post #511737  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:12 am 

Match of their day was Ian Wright last night if anybody caught it

A decent Watch and reminder of how much fun football used to be

Post #511738  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:30 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
As for the moustaches obviously working men couldn't afford them back then.

Is not shaving your philtrum while shaving the rest of your lower face and upper neck more expensive than shaving everywhere then?

Post #511739  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Majid Nawaz on LBC calling out the half truths in the article. The scientists they refer to are the hundreds not thousands who are represented by Sage and NERVTAG.
These two agencies are the ones advising the Government and who's guidance the Government are taking.

Listen and learn rather than believing the lies some propagate.

Post #511740  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

What games did they show? The only one I’ve seen was the Jermaine Jenas one.

Post #511741  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Majid Nawaz on LBC calling out the half truths in the article. The scientists they refer to are the hundreds not thousands who are represented by Sage and NERVTAG.
These two agencies are the ones advising the Government and who's guidance the Government are taking.

Right back at ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TJnu-mQXPw&app=desktop

Edit - quite amusing that the Sunday Times is now on the list of lefty papers spouting 'half-truths' who don't support the ridiculous policies of HMG.

Attachments:

Post #511742  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:05 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One day you’ll realise what an absolute clusterfuck HMG made of the Coronavirus Crisis. Then again......

Post #511743  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:25 pm 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

One day you’ll realise what an absolute clusterfuck HMG made of the Coronavirus Crisis. Then again......

Your talking rubbish as usual. I do not always agree with Nawaz but this time he read the article the firstb time qand says started to write a tweet condemning Boris and Co. He says he thenn realised something was wrong with the article and that the timeline was completely wrong. The timeline cannot be construed
or made up, it is what it is, and unless you try to understand it you will never believe the truth when it smacks you in the face.

I may be wrong but what he says and is saying makes sense and not just the rantings of a pro Goverment supporter.

Why not listen to the program?

Post #511744  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What games did they show? The only one I’ve seen was the Jermaine Jenas one.

He picked his cup final v United for palace

Arsenal debut v saints

Arsenal 3. United 2 Wenger era

And Everton v Wimbledon when Everton saved themselves from relegation

He was a fantastic player, really fantastic and it’s weird but unfortunate that after his time we had so many strikers like Bergkamp as you forget Ian a little.

Post #511745  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
The question in my mind about PPE is just why there isn't enough of it. Presumably the NHS has an Emergency Plan, and it would be remarkable if the onset of a pandemic was not seen as one of the most important emergencies to fall within the remit of that Plan. The provision of PPE for all NHS frontline staff must surely be one of the most basic requirements of the Plan? Whether you want to blame the government or NHS management or Gordon Brown, the undeniable fact is that scurrying around for PPE a month into the emergency suggests very strongly that the Emergency Plan has an unforgiveable hole in it.

Hi OMG,

You'd have thought that with much of industry happy to step-up and help out PPE would be a relatively easy thing to re-purpose manufacturing facilities to make.
Indeed Soc, and it seems that offers were made to the relevant authorities by businesses but not replied to very quickly.

If the NHS Emergency Plan did not include the pre-purchase and storage of sufficient PPE for a pandemic scenario then some serious questions must be asked of those responsible. Surely it should have been one of the highest priorities? When the dust has settled I hope somebody asks some simple questions about how many face masks and gowns were in stock before the emergency hit the NHS.

Post #511746  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Keep the snot out of the mouth when running?

Post #511747  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
You could be right about moustaches. I believe that in some cultures a man can only grow a moustache after marriage.
My wife let hers grow after we married. She looks like Salvador Dali now...

Post #511748  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...He was a fantastic player, really fantastic and it’s weird but unfortunate that after his time we had so many strikers like Bergkamp as you forget Ian a little.
I never forget Ian Wright, mainly because he was unforgettable.

Post #511749  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:25 pm 

Credit to Mustafi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standa ... html%3Famp

I wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will try to find a reason to moan about this. Perhaps he thinks the meals won’t taste that nice, or maybe he feels the portions won’t be big enough?

Post #511750  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Credit to Mustafi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standa ... html%3Famp

I wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will try to find a reason to moan about this. Perhaps he thinks the meals won’t taste that nice, or maybe he feels the portions won’t be big enough?

That is a wonderful gesture

Do some maths around it. If it costs 8 pound a meal.

Well done Mustafi

Post #511751  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi OMG,

Indeed Soc, and it seems that offers were made to the relevant authorities by businesses but not replied to very quickly.

If the NHS Emergency Plan did not include the pre-purchase and storage of sufficient PPE for a pandemic scenario then some serious questions must be asked of those responsible. Surely it should have been one of the highest priorities? When the dust has settled I hope somebody asks some simple questions about how many face masks and gowns were in stock before the emergency hit the NHS.

Masks and gowns ?

Johnson HIMSELF hadn’t bothered to go to ANY of the 5 cobra meetings warning him of the danger in January ,if he had perhaps he wouldn’t have suffered from this serious illness. He may have realised how irresponsible it was to encourage people to shake hands on March 3rd which was 3 months after China flagged the pandemic to WHO.

They didn’t care.

Post #511752  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:37 pm 

Attachment:

Post #511753  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:52 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Darren wrote:

Your talking rubbish as usual. I do not always agree with Nawaz but this time he read the article the firstb time qand says started to write a tweet condemning Boris and Co. He says he thenn realised something was wrong with the article and that the timeline was completely wrong. The timeline cannot be construed
or made up, it is what it is, and unless you try to understand it you will never believe the truth when it smacks you in the face.

I may be wrong but what he says and is saying makes sense and not just the rantings of a pro Goverment supporter.

Why not listen to the program?

Bottom line is we have a dangerously incompetent leader. Gordon Brown attended every single Cobra meeting for Foot and Mouth when we were in the throes of that issue. This is far more serious and our PM was missing in action. According to various reports, the lax approach to our early response to this crisis is because they were still fully obsessed with that Willy waiving wankfest called Brexit.

We are led by donkeys who were voted for by idiots.

Post #511754  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm 

Do either of you two clowns not listen to all the news reports or just make it up as you go along?

Do you now what COBRA stands for? fyi it stands for 'Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms' nothing more nothing less. It is not the war office or anything like it. From https://www.forces.net/news/what-cobra- ... ho-attends

"Who attends the meetings?

It varies depending on the situation. In response to a terrorist incident such as in London, the intelligence and security agencies will usually attend to provide updates on the latest information they have, while senior police officers will also be present.

:: Apart from police and spymasters, which politicians attend?

Senior ministers from relevant departments attend the meetings in Whitehall along with top officials.

:: Does the Prime Minister always chair COBRA meetings?

No, other members of the Cabinet or senior ministers can lead the meetings when appropriate. But the decision by Mrs May to chair this meeting is an indication of the severity of the incident and a sign that she wants to personally lead the Government's response."

Give up the witchhunt ffs the Government have more important things to do.

Asd for George Brown, what else did he do? Oh yes sold off all the gold and wrecked pensions. Great point of reference Darren.

Get a life ffs.......................

Post #511755  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 pm 

With respect Bubblechris. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Johnson refused the science initially. Check his speech from Feb 3 when he was already informed by a senior scientist on Jan 24th to lockdown to prevent a national crisis. He ignored it.

Keep knocking one out for Boris though.

Post #511756  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:31 pm 

Darren wrote:
With respect Bubblechris. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Johnson refused the science initially. Check his speech from Feb 3 when he was already informed by a senior scientist on Jan 24th to lockdown to prevent a national crisis. He ignored it.

Keep knocking one out for Boris though.

The difference between us is you read what you want to read and believe what you want to believe.

If you looked further into the matter you would find that the scientist, the only one at that time, in question is Neil Ferguson who was the only member of SAGE and NERVTAG that believed a lockdown was necessary on Jan 24th a month or so before the WHO declared a pandemic. The Government's Scientific advisers advised the Goverment at that time to wait and not to lockdown.

They followed the science you appear to follow your noase.

Keep up young man.....................

Post #511757  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
My wife let hers grow after we married. She looks like Salvador Dali now...

You are in the zone today.
:42laughter:

Post #511758  Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

I am not sure too many countries across the world had sufficient numbers. In Australia we did not have sufficient masks or ventilators. It was not a good look early on when some hospitals had insufficient masks and we saw some footballers travelling to games with the sought after masks.

But a lot earlier than many other countries our government made a call to start shutting down and start proper distancing. One of the purposes was so we could build new ventilators and try and get more masks etc. Closed the borders a little later and helped people get home as the second measures and then strictly enforced social distancing. We were buying ourselves time.

Down in places like Sydney there was not as much compliance. I can tell you up my way, a long way from capital cities people were generally very compliant even although it was against our natural instincts. I can remember discussing with friends the news footage of people still travelling on crowded tubes in London and we all thought this could end badly. Mean while in the US they really botched it because of Trump and no one else. And if they relax the conditions, without having really slowed its advance, which is what Trump is telling people to do and there are outbreaks it is he who is responsible.

A dire situation and a time for good leadership. Not too many good leaders out there.

Post #511759  Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:21 am 

The Arsenal XI of players who we were 'close to getting' or 'wanted to come' would be world beaters.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 1587309615
JUAN THAT GOT AWAY Arsenal missed out on beating Chelsea to Juan Mata transfer back in 2011 because of ‘Arsene Wenger’s dithering’ over fee

Post #511760  Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Arsenal XI of players who we were 'close to getting' or 'wanted to come' would be world beaters.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 1587309615
JUAN THAT GOT AWAY Arsenal missed out on beating Chelsea to Juan Mata transfer back in 2011 because of ‘Arsene Wenger’s dithering’ over fee

These lists often get rolled out, usually because Wenger has been saying how we 'nearly' signed X player. I can believe the dithering and penny pinching, but to cut the club some slack there were times when we really did have to watch what we spent and had to be sure that the player was the right one. All the while competing against clubs who could just chuck another £5m at a transfer without blinking AND not worry if they turned out to be a dud because they'd just go and get a different £40m player next year - we never had that luxury of flexibility.

Also, Barca were never letting Messi leave. Mbappe chose to stay at Monaco, Man U Gazumped us for Ronaldo, Čech and Yaya couldn't get work permits, Ibrahimovic turned us down after we asked him for a trial (most footballers at that age wouldn't have had that level of arrogance) Arsenal were often the first on the scene with many of these players but for various reasons couldn't get them over the line.

The ones I'm more frustrated about are probably the ones we haven't heard of, the years when we only signed Čech, or the year we only signed Özil and Flamini on a free. These were two critical summers when the squad was good and just needed 3-4 players to really make it a title winning team, but every lost summer meant more needed to be done the next, the same pattern then repeated and we fell further and further away until Wenger left a massively overpaid, overhyped and unbalanced squad that we're still sorting out.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12791, 12792, 12793, 12794, 12795, 12796, 12797 ... 14269  Next