Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 143 guests

Post #511641  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 am 

richie wrote:
Too young to remember Bob McNabb. I may have seen him play a few times but not enough to make a lasting impression. The best left back for me was Kenny Sansom. He was a joy to watch and just oozed class. So cool and calm. Then it would be Ashley Cole. A fantastic player. Nigel Winterburn was an excellent purchase. I used to go to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon occasionally as it was quite near me and could see what a good player he was. Maybe not as refined as the former two but a scrapper and always gave 100%.

Couldn’t agree more with your entire post. Sansom would be the left back in my best ever Arsenal team because he had his peak at Arsenal. Cole had his peak at Chelsea. I can understand people arguing that Cole may have been the better left back at his peak, though personally I’m not convinced. But for me, as left backs at Arsenal, Sansom gets my vote.

Post #511642  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:42 am 

Bernard wrote:
richie wrote:
Too young to remember Bob McNabb. I may have seen him play a few times but not enough to make a lasting impression. The best left back for me was Kenny Sansom. He was a joy to watch and just oozed class. So cool and calm. Then it would be Ashley Cole. A fantastic player. Nigel Winterburn was an excellent purchase. I used to go to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon occasionally as it was quite near me and could see what a good player he was. Maybe not as refined as the former two but a scrapper and always gave 100%.

Couldn’t agree more with your entire post. Sansom would be the left back in my best ever Arsenal team because he had his peak at Arsenal. Cole had his peak at Chelsea. I can understand people arguing that Cole may have been the better left back at his peak, though personally I’m not convinced. But for me, as left backs at Arsenal, Sansom gets my vote.

I liked sansom but not sure I can agree he was a better player. Also I don’t agree Cole peaked at chelsea, with us he played more expansive football and often contributed to attacks. I didn’t really see that from him at Chelsea. He was so consistent he didn’t seem to peak.

I know it irritates but Ashley Cole was one the the best full backs of all time I’m not sure how you could pick Sansom unless you were bitter and I say that as someone whose favourite player was Sansom as a kid. I hate seeing the state he’s got himself into.

The fact Cole is as thick as mince is another matter.

https://youtu.be/99ORphzwLsc

Post #511643  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:48 am 

However if you had to pick a left back off goal celebrations alone Nutty wins that by an absolute mile.

Post #511644  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 am 

What was the reason we sold Sansom anyway ? Can anyone remember.

Post #511645  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am 

Sansom and Cole were both fantastic left backs but having watched both their careers I find it very easy to say Sansom was the better player. Because he was.

Post #511646  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:28 am 

re McNab.

In 66/67 he played exclusively at right back, with either Storey or Simpson at left back (Woodward played 1 game at LB).

In 67/68 he played mainly on the left with Storey on the right, although when he wasn't in the team Storey went on the left and Simpson on the right. However in the home games against Manchester United, Wolves, Burnley, Sheffield Weds and WBA, he played right back, as he did away against Southampton.

After that the only game I can find him playing right back was away to Ipswich Town in 1973/74.

Post #511647  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Sansom and Cole were both fantastic left backs but having watched both their careers I find it very easy to say Sansom was the better player. Because he was.

Again, I agree. I just think Top Gun is mistaken in saying Cole was better, in particular comparing them as Arsenal players. Of course Cole had his peak at Chelsea. Silly to claim anything else, in my view.

Post #511648  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Again, I agree. I just think Top Gun is mistaken in saying Cole was better, in particular comparing them as Arsenal players. Of course Cole had his peak at Chelsea. Silly to claim anything else, in my view.

It would make sense if Cole had his peak years at Chelsea but I didn't pay enough attention to him in their shirt to have an opinion on that!

Post #511649  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

To be fair it’s a slightly unfair comparison possibly I find as Cole was part of a side that was awesome.

Sansom however had some very average looking players alongside him really. If you put Kenny in a side with Henry and Vieira might have been a different story. Still not sure I’d say sansom was better. Cole routinely had Ronaldo in his pocket

Post #511650  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:26 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It would make sense if Cole had his peak years at Chelsea but I didn't pay enough attention to him in their shirt to have an opinion on that!

Whenever I watched him he seemed to have a mandate to cross the halfway line less for them so the probing runs forward which were a feature for us occurred less for him at chelsea from what I saw.

I’m also ashamed to say I took some clients to hospitality at Stamford bridge to watch chelsea v boro when they were on the verge of winning the title and Fabregas looked a class act in that game and I left wondering why the hell we didn’t take his buyback option

Post #511651  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
re McNab.

In 66/67 he played exclusively at right back, with either Storey or Simpson at left back (Woodward played 1 game at LB).

In 67/68 he played mainly on the left with Storey on the right, although when he wasn't in the team Storey went on the left and Simpson on the right. However in the home games against Manchester United, Wolves, Burnley, Sheffield Weds and WBA, he played right back, as he did away against Southampton.

After that the only game I can find him playing right back was away to Ipswich Town in 1973/74.

Just had a look at the 1968-69 handbook, which gives the line ups for the 1967-68 season. You’re obviously basing your observations above on whose name appeared immediately following the goalkeeper’s (taking that as the right back) and who came next, taking that as the left back. That’s logical, but what seems less logical is why according to the order of names in the handbook Storey was mostly right back and McNab left back, but sometimes they switched with McNab at right back and Storey at left back. Why did they swap around, if they did?

By the way, the oldest handbook I’ve got is the 1947/48 one, giving the results and line ups for the 1946/47 season. Cost was 6d. Dreadful start to the season. First game was a 1-6 away defeat at Wolverhampton, then came a 1-3 home defeat against Blackburn, followed by a 2-2 home draw against Sunderland, then a 2-3 defeat at Everton. So one point from the first four games before a 2-0 away win at Aston Villa. Presume we’d have been in the relegation zone (two went down in those days) after four games.

Post #511652  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Whenever I watched him he seemed to have a mandate to cross the halfway line less for them so the probing runs forward which were a feature for us occurred less for him at chelsea from what I saw.

I’m also ashamed to say I took some clients to hospitality at Stamford bridge to watch chelsea v boro when they were on the verge of winning the title and Fabregas looked a class act in that game and I left wondering why the hell we didn’t take his buyback option

I heard Amy Lawrence talk about this on a podcast the other day. I think the season before Fabregas came back to England we'd bought Özil who on paper would fill that creative midfielder role. Amy said when Cesc decided it was time to leave Barca there was only one place he wanted to go and it was Arsenal, he waited and waited and when Arsenal decided not to take up the buy back option he went to Chelsea. Amy suggested finances played a part and we couldn't have Özil and Fabregas. Also mentioned how little Wenger went back to old players. Lehmann, Campbell, Henry all for small periods but never re-signed anyone like Fabregas or even Anelka when he was available and doing well in the prem again.

Post #511653  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

Jennings

Rice
Nelson
O'Leary
Devine

Vieira
Petit
Brady
Limpar

Quinn
Stapelton

And here's me as an 80's Junior Gunner

Loved this :laughing7:

Henry and Bergkamp slightly peeved at missing out to Quinny

Easy choice, I never saw Bergkamp or Henry score one like this:

Post #511654  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:00 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Loved this :laughing7:

Henry and Bergkamp slightly peeved at missing out to Quinny

Easy choice, I never saw Bergkamp or Henry score one like this:

Own goal.

Post #511655  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 pm 

I see Norman Hunter has succumbed. Sad but no surprise, makes you nostalgic for the’70s.

Post #511656  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
I see Norman Hunter has succumbed. Sad but no surprise, makes you nostalgic for the’70s.

I have no wish for any human to die and I'm sad for his family, but I hated that player with a passion. For me, Hunter the player epitomised everything that was wrong with the game in those days. I was always particularly sickened by his smiling mock sympathy to the opposition player he'd just scythed down and his palms-up pleadings of heartfelt contrition to the Ref. Horrible cynical violent player.

Peter Storey was almost as violent but you never got any apologies or excuses from him - just a cold-eyed stare.

Post #511657  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
re McNab.

Just had a look at the 1968-69 handbook, which gives the line ups for the 1967-68 season. You’re obviously basing your observations above on whose name appeared immediately following the goalkeeper’s (taking that as the right back) and who came next, taking that as the left back. That’s logical, but what seems less logical is why according to the order of names in the handbook Storey was mostly right back and McNab left back, but sometimes they switched with McNab at right back and Storey at left back. Why did they swap around, if they did?

By the way, the oldest handbook I’ve got is the 1947/48 one, giving the results and line ups for the 1946/47 season. Cost was 6d. Dreadful start to the season. First game was a 1-6 away defeat at Wolverhampton, then came a 1-3 home defeat against Blackburn, followed by a 2-2 home draw against Sunderland, then a 2-3 defeat at Everton. So one point from the first four games before a 2-0 away win at Aston Villa. Presume we’d have been in the relegation zone (two went down in those days) after four games.

I don't use old handbooks anymore because they're often full of errors. This is by far the best researched and accurate book:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlL8T_vWsAAMFU7.jpg

Firstly you've got to remember that a lot of managers were playing catch-up with tactics due to the '66 World Cup leading to wingers going out of fashion. The job of the full back changed from worrying about the outside to the inside so quite a few clubs started playing full backs on the 'wrong' wing, such as Arsenal with Storey. Nelson started out on the right as well. McNab being a right footer wasn't a case like that until he moved to the left (if you watch that clip someone posted you can see how right footed he is). As to the times they 'swapped' there could be many reasons. It may have been down to the balance of our team, or deciding that they could cope with the opposition players better that way round, or even that the other team had dodgy full backs that could be taken on the outside.

btw as far as handbooks go there are some wonderful old ones up on here, along with loads of programmes and other stuff. http://thearsenalcollection.org.uk/

Post #511658  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:00 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Talking of McNab I was at a supporters do a while back. Eddie Kelly and Frank McLintock were talking about Bob and according to Frank McNab was actually right footed not left footed which is why he often cut inside before playing the ball forward.

I'd never met Eddie Kelly before but he's one funny bugger. He had a hilarious moan about 'bloody George Graham' trying to nick his goal in the 1971 Cup Final that had everyone in stitches. A few minutes later someone asked him about the Fairs Cup Final goal and he turned to Frank and said "Didn't bloody George Graham score that one?"

I used to live in Riversdale Rd. One Saturday evening, I was going to meet my mates in the Alwyne Castle so I hopped onto a 19 bus at the end of the road, opposite The Bank of Friendship in Blackstock Rd. I was sitting on the bench seat just inside from the platform. Sat opposite was a suited and booted Eddie Kelly whom I obviously recognised, having recently broken into the First Team (him, not me). Presumably, he was off up West. I was slack-jawed in awe. Not sure you'd see too many Prem players on a bus these days.

I used to quite often see players arriving at The Arsenal tube as I went to work each morning. My timing meshed oddly with Bertie Mee arriving in his Rover 2000 - regulalry enough to exchange a salute! And Pat Rice'd be working in the Greengrocers in Gillespie Rd; he fancied my sister though sadly she spurned his advances! I coulda been connected.

Last edited by warrior on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fixed quote

Post #511659  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:56 pm 

Post #511660  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 pm 

I wonder what type of book it will be? What unknown secrets or the 'real' version of things. Not sure if I'll buy it or not. I don't see Wenger as the self introspected type who acknowledges his past wrongs. I'm guessing a wee bit of revisionist history as well. Basically, I'm not confident how insightful it will be. It's going to be through Wenger vision. I hope not but I won't be surprised if it is.

Post #511661  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:37 pm 

Niall with personalised number plates back in the day :toothy9:

Attachment:
nm_child.jpg
nm_child.jpg [ 38.55 KB | Viewed 1936 times ]

Post #511662  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 pm 

Hmmm....interesting. Wonder how that would have worked out? Chelsea was the smarter option in 2004.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... e-18104922
Jose Mourinho had deal in place to become Liverpool manager claims new book

Post #511663  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:54 pm 

DHD wrote:

I have no wish for any human to die and I'm sad for his family, but I hated that player with a passion. For me, Hunter the player epitomised everything that was wrong with the game in those days. I was always particularly sickened by his smiling mock sympathy to the opposition player he'd just scythed down and his palms-up pleadings of heartfelt contrition to the Ref. Horrible cynical violent player.

Peter Storey was almost as violent but you never got any apologies or excuses from him - just a cold-eyed stare.

Ironic that that decade began with the most glorious of sides on view in Mexico and quickly descended into Revie’s “dirty” Leeds team.

The first televised game I saw in colour was the cup final between Chelsea and Leeds.

Post #511664  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:15 pm 

Ironic that that decade began with the most glorious of sides on view in Mexico and quickly descended into Revie’s “dirty” Leeds team.

The first televised game I saw in colour was the cup final between Chelsea and Leeds.

I’ve been to two FA Cup finals not involving Arsenal and that 2-2 draw in 1970 at Wembley was the first (I didn’t go to the replay at Old Trafford). The other was the West Ham vs Fulham final, think it was 1975.

Just shows how times have changed. I actually wanted Chelsea to win. If Chelsea played Leeds in a cup final now, I would definitely want Leeds to win.

Post #511665  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
richie wrote:

Left back is one position where Arsenal have been blessed. Remarkable to think that between August 1980 and May 2006 we essentially only had 3 left backs, injuries/suspensions and dodgy passports notwithstanding.

Post #511666  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:26 pm 

Niall wrote:

Presumably 352 pages of egomania, narcissism and self-praise.

Post #511667  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

Presumably 352 pages of egomania, narcissism and self-praise.

:laughing7:

There’s bound to be a bit of that. Personally I’ll be fascinated to read it and it will be interesting to see how revealing it is. Bound to sell a bucketload

Post #511668  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:48 pm 

Walked up to the stadium yesterday evening with the family for our daily lockdown exercise. A lovely walk and the dog even managed to behave himself. Wanted to get my Arsenal fix and it started so well with the walk up to the old East Stand which still looks fantastic, especially coming from the road to the side of the Bank of Friendship. I got a bit weepy looking at where the Clockend used to be and realise I still haven't fully come to terms with leaving Highbury.

But got to say that the new place looks a tad jaded. Something I miss/ignore on match days for obvious reasons. Those huge banners, which were once quite inspiring, now look faded and old. And some of the player pictures hanging from lamposts are torn or missing. Not good. They have stuck some new ones up, including one for Mustafi which is semi hidden behind a tree. Which seemed about right.

Anyway, come on Arsenal...sort it out when things get back to normal. I know there are a few more important things to worry about right now, but why have you let it slip over the past few years? What your home looks like sends out a message.

But don't prune that tree please.

Post #511669  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 pm 

DHD wrote:

I watched the full 90 mins of the 1970 World Cup Final at some stage in the last few years. While Brazil were magnificent, it was striking how dirty Italy were.

I was born in 1971 so that Leeds team were before my time. Giles is very clear on his approach. When he was a kid at Man Utd some journeyman hurt him really badly and it was deliberate. Potential career ending tackle. He said that once he got over the injury his attitude was completely different. He was a small guy with lots of ability but needed to take care of himself and sometimes that meant being overly aggressive.

Anyway, for me the zenith was the 1990 world cup. It was magic for Ireland being there but feck me it was pure cynicism. The changes to the game after that - far more yellow and red cards - made a really positive difference. Unfortunately, it's gone stupidly to the other extreme now.

Post #511670  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:16 pm 

dec wrote:

I watched the full 90 mins of the 1970 World Cup Final at some stage in the last few years. While Brazil were magnificent, it was striking how dirty Italy were.

I was born in 1971 so that Leeds team were before my time. Giles is very clear on his approach. When he was a kid at Man Utd some journeyman hurt him really badly and it was deliberate. Potential career ending tackle. He said that once he got over the injury his attitude was completely different. He was a small guy with lots of ability but needed to take care of himself and sometimes that meant being overly aggressive.

Anyway, for me the zenith was the 1990 world cup. It was magic for Ireland being there but feck me it was pure cynicism. The changes to the game after that - far more yellow and red cards - made a really positive difference. Unfortunately, it's gone stupidly to the other extreme now.

Dec hope you’re well and surviving this craziness.
Leeds of the late 60s and early 70s were a fantastic team ...individually and collectively...and stand comparison to any of the great teams that came after including our Invincibles and the great Man U andLiverpool teams . Yes they were hard and occasionally cynical but do not let that fool you. They could all play. Great back four. Tough and uncompromising. Bremner and Giles in midfield
Peter Lorimer and Eddie Gray flanking Mick Jones and Alan Clarke.
They probably underachieved and could have won the European Cup.

Brazil were magnificent in the 1970WC finals To this 17 year old at the time they were mesmerizing.
Tostao Jairzinho Rivelino Carlos Alberto and imho the best of all time Pele. That final when they demolished Italy stayed with me forever
They say comparisons are odious but pound for pound this was the best international team I’ve ever seen.

Post #511671  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:49 am 

Attachment:

Morning walk this morning near the weir. A freshwater croc about 6 feet from the path. He was about 4 foot long.

Post #511672  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:32 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Dec hope you’re well and surviving this craziness.
Leeds of the late 60s and early 70s were a fantastic team ...individually and collectively...and stand comparison to any of the great teams that came after including our Invincibles and the great Man U andLiverpool teams . Yes they were hard and occasionally cynical but do not let that fool you. They could all play. Great back four. Tough and uncompromising. Bremner and Giles in midfield
Peter Lorimer and Eddie Gray flanking Mick Jones and Alan Clarke.
They probably underachieved and could have won the European Cup.

Brazil were magnificent in the 1970WC finals To this 17 year old at the time they were mesmerizing.
Tostao Jairzinho Rivelino Carlos Alberto and imho the best of all time Pele. That final when they demolished Italy stayed with me forever
They say comparisons are odious but pound for pound this was the best international team I’ve ever seen.

You name the midfield and attack. Let’s not forget the defence. Sprake in goal. Reaney at right back. Charlton and the passed away yesterday Hunter in the middle. Some of us were discussing who might have been the best between Sansom and Cole. Cooper was probably a better left back than both of them. Then the brilliant Madely covering any or all of them.

You’re right. As much as I hated them they were a truly brilliant team. They outplayed Bayern in the 1975 European Cup final. How my second team somehow ended up winning that game I’ve no idea. It was as undeserved a victory as Arsenal beating Man Utd in the 2005 FA Cup final.

Post #511673  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:01 am 

They never wanted to have the lockdown. Only did it because of public pressure. Thousands have died because they wanted to do nothing

Attachments:

Post #511674  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
They never wanted to have the lockdown. Only did it because of public pressure. Thousands have died because they wanted to do nothing

Without wishing to come across all bubblechris, you won’t find a government in the world that ‘wanted’ a lockdown. Lockdowns seriously damage economies and no government will have ‘wanted’ to do that in its country.

You can argue the lockdown should have been introduced earlier. But you shouldn’t criticise the government for not wanting a lockdown.

Post #511675  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Without wishing to come across all bubblechris, you won’t find a government in the world that ‘wanted’ a lockdown. Lockdowns seriously damage economies and no government will have ‘wanted’ to do that in its country.

You can argue the lockdown should have been introduced earlier. But you shouldn’t criticise the government for not wanting a lockdown.

Why can’t I criticise them. Other countries did want a lockdown as they knew this thing would rip through society and it was inevitable to effect the economy anyway.

That idiot resents having to pretend that he cares about trying to save peoples lives. Gross.

Post #511676  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am 

Well I just wish 2020 would have used some lube first.

I'm starting to wonder if all this is happening because I didn't forward that message to 10 people.

And I thought 2016 was bad.

Post #511677  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 am 

TG your usual fake news bollox.

I suppose you're still blaming ther Government fort the PPE cock up as well despite the fact that they have no control whatsoever over what the NHS does and doesn't do?

The procurements are organised by the NHS and managed by the NHS. The Chairman or Cheif Executive of the NHS has total control, total independence and cannot be sacked or replaced by the Prime Minister.

Criticise away everyone with a braincell knows you talk bollox 99% of the time.

Post #511678  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Why can’t I criticise them. Other countries did want a lockdown as they knew this thing would rip through society and it was inevitable to effect the economy anyway.

That idiot resents having to pretend that he cares about trying to save peoples lives. Gross.

I’m not saying you can’t criticise them. What I’m saying is you shouldn’t criticise them for not wanting a lockdown. Who the hell does considering what it does to economies? Criticise them for not introducing it sooner by all means. But don’t criticise them for not wanting a lockdown. Anyone with common sense shouldn’t want a lockdown. You used the wrong word with ‘wanted’.

Post #511679  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TG your usual fake news bollox.

I suppose you're still blaming ther Government fort the PPE cock up as well despite the fact that they have no control whatsoever over what the NHS does and doesn't do?

The procurements are organised by the NHS and managed by the NHS. The Chairman or Cheif Executive of the NHS has total control, total independence and cannot be sacked or replaced by the Prime Minister.

Criticise away everyone with a braincell knows you talk bollox 99% of the time.

I don't think you understand how budgets for government organisations work. They depend on government money so the control is maintained by the government. Was there unlimited money for the NHS to fund all activities or did they have to pick and chose.

Post #511680  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Actually thousands have died because China ‘did nothing’.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12789, 12790, 12791, 12792, 12793, 12794, 12795 ... 14269  Next