Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 116 guests

Post #498201  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Anything can happen in a final

I make the final a genuine 50/50, especially if Kane's back.

Post #498202  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 pm 

socrates wrote:
Just when I thought this season could not get any worse.......

It's the season from hell

Post #498203  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Gutting not to have that excellent Ajax team in the final.

But they bottled it.

Ajax were knackered after 65mins - just ran out of steam.

Looks that way.

Post #498204  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I won’t be able to watch that final.

There’s no way that can be healthy

Oh I'll be watching. I might have to borrow a Liverpool kit for it

Post #498205  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 pm 

All those years in the champions league

How the *%^@ did Wenger not get to more finals and semis

Post #498206  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 pm 

Also what ever happened to a side winning the champions league having won and been the best team in each tie.
Each semi finalist had huge flaws in their semi to either go down by so much or get beaten on a big comeback.

I can’t stand the thought of that champions league final. I’ll be cheering Liverpool on for sure. Absolutely terrible.

This may sound bitter but I think of the rotten luck alongside the rotten performances we’ve had in the champions league and see the luck spurs have had on this run. I mean if Barca don’t play a B team in the group spurs are out at that stage

Post #498207  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Because we spewed it or came up against Barca or BM in top form. We should have beaten Liverpool in the quarter final at Anfield and should not have lost to the Chavs

Post #498208  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:22 pm 

One thing to be admired in both spurs and Liverpool is how some relatively average squad players have come in and done the business when the best we’re injured. Llorente, moura, Origi, Shaqiri- all big parts to play in each semi and none of whom are first choice

Post #498209  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Because he was tactically inept and was somewhat hamstrung by scrooge Kroenke so always 2-3 players short of a really good squad that could cope better with multiple competitions.

Spurs seem to be having similar luck to the luck Chelsea had when they won it, ironic we used to be called 'lucky Arsenal' because I'd say if anything we're the opposite, these days at least.

Hopefully Liverpool win it but honestly I just feel numb these days, we're on a road to nowhere under Kroenke and watching rival clubs battle for the top prizes is just a total turn off.

Reminds me I need to cancel BT sport..

Post #498210  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:23 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Because we spewed it or came up against Barca or BM in top form. We should have beaten Liverpool in the quarter final at Anfield and should not have lost to the Chavs

And should have beaten Monaco, and not spewed up a 4-0 defeat to Ac Milan.....and done much better in the early years when teams like Valencia and fiorentina put us out

Post #498211  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bloody hell, how many lives do spurs have in this competition.
Minutes from being knocked out in the group stage in week 4, 5 and 6. Down and out v city, down and out v Ajax. Ajax hit the post with a minute to go and then spurs launch a Hail Mary and spawn one in.

It's what great teams do Rich. You can look at imperfections like replacing Tottenham player x with a player from club z. But Pochetinno appears to have changed the DNA of Tottenham this season. Make no mistake, Tottenham have a very real chance of winning the final in a one off game.

Request to Rog. I don't like anyone being permanently banned from the forum. But can you at least ban American from making predictions? Arsenal looked in with a great chance of a top four place until his gross over-confidence about getting it. He practically guaranteed Tottenham won't win the Champions League, even wanting them to reach the semi-final by beating arguably the best team in it (City), which of course they did.

His predictions are poison for Arsenal and it's fans.

Post #498212  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Luck plays a huge part. Ferguson for all his greatness was unbelievably lucky to win his two CLs and he had great teams. Liverpool and Chelsea won it with average sides. Our 2006 team was mlies away from Wenger's best yet nearly won the thing. There's no legislating for luck. PSG actually looked the best side on this year's competition but got done by an absurd late peno.

Post #498213  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Bloody hell, how many lives do spurs have in this competition.
Minutes from being knocked out in the group stage in week 4, 5 and 6. Down and out v city, down and out v Ajax. Ajax hit the post with a minute to go and then spurs launch a Hail Mary and spawn one in.

It's what great teams do Rich. You can look at imperfections like replacing Tottenham player x with a player from club z. But Pochetinno appears to have changed the DNA of Tottenham this season. Make no mistake, Tottenham have a very real chance of winning the final in a one off game.

Tottenham are not a "great team", Bernard. Not even close. They have been crazy lucky. Liverpool are a totally different story. They are a very very good team.

Post #498214  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:
Just when I thought this season could not get any worse.......

It's the season from hell

Not necessarily ..... both Champion's league ties will show Unai and our gay boy players exactly what is required of an English team ...battle , never give up , don't f&&% around with the ball at the back .

Two splendid blueprints on how to approach a tie ... of course stuck out in the poxy little country I haven't got some knobby Spurs or Pool supporter in the workplace to wind me up ...... but in both these Euro ties I think it's better to say well done Liverpool and Tottenham and move on .

Hopefully out of the ashes of our woeful end of season form some Phoenix will arise and we will be far more competitive next year .

No Salah , Firmino and Kane and they can still put in credible performances

....while we whinge and whine " Oh we didn't have Ramsay , Bellerin or we have lost our two first choice centre halves " hence the reason why we lost to Everton , Altringham , Middlesborough Ironside or whoever " Bollocks

Post #498215  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yups. Wenger's sides always had that slight brittleness and lack of bottle .. we should have won more titles too.

Spurs and Liverpool don't lack fight, it must be said.

Post #498216  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 pm 

Thanks spuds for knocking out that horrible bunch. Mousers won't lose 2 finals in a row. Though I hate spuds they are the lesser of 2 evils. Well happy.

Post #498217  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:45 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Thanks spuds for knocking out that horrible bunch. Mousers won't lose 2 finals in a row. Though I hate spuds they are the lesser of 2 evils. Well happy.

Probably best to have kept that to yourself?.

:icon_mrgreen1:

Post #498218  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 pm 

Live and work in Merseyside. Have to work with four tottenham fans. It was bad enough this morning with a scouse love in. *%^@ me I ain't going in tomorrow.

Post #498219  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm 

I feel sick

Post #498220  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 pm 

I knew they would score

Post #498221  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm 

Before Kos who was the last truly world class defender we have bought on the transfer market or developed ourselves?

And Bernard you cannot count Mert as he was on the wane when he came to us. Though the defence always seemed a bit more secure when he played with Kos.

Post #498222  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm 

It will be peak typical Arsenal to be the only English team to take a lead into the 2nd leg......and get knocked out

Post #498223  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm 

Please dont embarrass us tomorrow Arsenal.
Give US a final to look forward to.

Post #498224  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 pm 

Hate to say it but we are miles away from Liverpool and Spurs. Many many miles.
Superb managers motivating good to great players.

Post #498225  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 pm 

david.d wrote:
It will be peak typical Arsenal to be the only English team to take a lead into the 2nd leg......and get knocked out

Its nailed on.

Spurs were fantastic that second half, Llorente just killed them. All Moura's goals were clinically taken. Unfortunately they are a top side with a top manager. Saw them play some great football in the group stage and somehow not get the result.

Liverpool though are on another level. Absolutely outstanding team. One of the best in a premier season ever.

But as Bernard says anything can happen in a final.

Should be a belter.

Post #498226  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:05 pm 

david.d wrote:

Not sure Emery is good enough. I know it is his first season but I don't see any leadership or charisma from him. All the best managers seem to have that indecipherable something special. But I have not seen it with Emery.

Think about Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Stein, Ferguson, GG and early Wenger. They all had charisma and leadership. Klopp has it in spades. Not sure Emery has it or will ever have it

Post #498227  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:15 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:

Not sure Emery is good enough. I know it is his first season but I don't see any leadership or charisma from him. All the best managers seem to have that indecipherable something special. But I have not seen it with Emery.

it

Pochettino who has just got spurs to a European cup final had to speak through a translator for 2 years. I don’t think anyone would suggest right now he’s a bad manager.

Emery has made mistakes but my goodness he’s getting too much grief

Post #498228  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

it

Pochettino who has just got spurs to a European cup final had to speak through a translator for 2 years. I don’t think anyone would suggest right now he’s a bad manager.

Emery has made mistakes but my goodness he’s getting too much grief

Didn't say he was not good enough. Just not convinced yet. Does Emery have charisma? You either have it or you don't have it. It is not learned.

Post #498229  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Before Kos who was the last truly world class defender we have bought on the transfer market or developed ourselves?

And Bernard you cannot count Mert as he was on the wane when he came to us. Though the defence always seemed a bit more secure when he played with Kos.

Mertesacker was 26 when he joined us. If you won't call him world class, I don't think you can call Koscielny world class. I firmly believe that Mertesacker turned Koscielny into the player he became. The latter's first season was ordinary to okay but wasn't great. Mertesacker arrives and Koscielny improved massively. Since Mertesacker has stopped playing through injury or retirement, Koscielny has gone back to his old self when fit. Coincidence? Maybe, but maybe not.

I think people undervalue Mertesacker's organisational abilities. World class is a term with, as far as I'm aware, no agreed definition. If winning over a hundred caps fnr one of the world's premier national teams isn't, then other maybe biased measures can come into it.

Post #498230  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 pm 

That vapourous f&*%wit Kroenke will now be thinking "well if Spurs can get to a final..".

Post #498231  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:35 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Tottenham are not a "great team", Bernard. Not even close. They have been crazy lucky. Liverpool are a totally different story. They are a very very good team.

I didn't call Tottenham a great team. But it is what great teams do. Also, I have seen sides worse than Tottenham called great.

Post #498232  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Mertesacker was 26 when he joined us. If you won't call him world class, I don't think you can call Koscielny world class. I firmly believe that Mertesacker turned Koscielny into the player he became. The latter's first season was ordinary to okay but wasn't great. Mertesacker arrives and Koscielny improved massively. Since Mertesacker has stopped playing through injury or retirement, Koscielny has gone back to his old self when fit. Coincidence? Maybe, but maybe not.

I think people undervalue Mertesacker's organisational abilities. World class is a term with, as far as I'm aware, no agreed definition. If winning over a hundred caps fnr one of the world's premier national teams isn't, then other maybe biased measures can come into it.

Neither of them were world class. They did okay but the defence was never good enough to win the EPL or CL. People throw names like world class and legend when the players have never been anything than a player doing an average job at that level.

Post #498233  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 pm 

Ajax have been giant killers and fall to the likes of Tottenham.

A few things. First, its looking like the PL is becoming, if it isn't already, the best league in the world. The quality of the league seems deeper than any other. Would Barcelona dominate the PL as it does la Liga?

The future for us doesn't bode well. The league is getting better and better and we are risking mid table mediocrity.

It all comes down to ownership. We are in grave danger because Kroenke is not going to committ the resources not does he have the leadership for us to compete. Man Utd aren't going to sit idle. They are going to cut the dead weight and buy their way out of it. Chelsea's ownership aren't as committed as they were in 15 years ago but they will still spend more than we will and are more committed to trying than we are. We are going to scrap together 2nd tier players from various leagues and roll the dice to try and become top 4.

I have to wonder what the former board members, Dein, the rest are thinking now? I wonder if they could go back in a time machine, what they would change and what they would still do? I wonder if they would go with Usmanov instead if they could have? And yeah, I'll repeat it because its the truth, Dein effed up the club. Dein brought Kroenke in knowing he knew nothing about football and wanted to be the de facto head of Arsenal through a non involved owner. And then again under Usmanov who would have been more of a Roman type owner. He is ultimately to blame for our present issues. Dein more than anyone brought us to prominence and Dein more than anyone else, ruined the club he was pretty much responsible for building, with bringing in Wenger and forming that great partnership.

It's depressing. This must what it felt like for Leeds fans early 00s, on the cusp of renewing their early 70s glory years and seeing it all go down the drain.

I'll be the biggest Liverpool fan for that final but frankly, its anyone's game. I can see Tottenham winning it and it will be glad I am not an Arsenal fan in London if that happens. In the span of a decade 2 London clubs winning a CL when we haven't is going to be hard to take if Tottenham wins. :20hospitals:

With Ramsey going, the clear out of players, Özil among them probably, and the difficulty of finding players given our budget and diminishing reputation of a big club that can't offer CL football, I don't see us improving. I don't see us improving in a league where the top six are getting stronger and the clubs behind us are getting stronger. I don't think 7th or 8th is out of the question next season. :1cry:

Post #498234  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:

Think about Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Stein, Ferguson, GG and early Wenger. They all had charisma and leadership. Klopp has it in spades. Not sure Emery has it or will ever have it

Is there any one else better who will take the job? Fair question. I don't know. Any suggestions?

Post #498235  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Neither of them were world class. They did okay but the defence was never good enough to win the EPL or CL. People throw names like world class and legend when the players have never been anything than a player doing an average job at that level.

You have your own definitions for terms such as 'world class' or 'average'. But for my definitions I'd put both Mertesacker and Koscielny way above average.

Post #498236  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 pm 

American, you keep going on about Dein. He led to Kroenke being a minor shareholder. It was Fitzman, yes Danny Fitzman, who made Kroenke the majority shareholder.

Post #498237  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Is there any one else better who will take the job? Fair question. I don't know. Any suggestions?

Emery contract is for three years if not mistaken. If he can win a silverware or two and make us a consistent top four team within the next two seasons, I'd say he would be deserving of a new contract to bring us to another level and become real contenders for the league and CL.

On a somewhat related note, whoever the next manager that win either La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga not with RM, Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern Munich will be the next big thing. Jardim winning Ligue 1 with Monaco was fantastic achievement. May be worthwhile to consider him if Emery does not work out. Simeone's brand of football is a bit too Mourinho-ish.

If Ljungberg continues to develop, he could be an "internal solution". And Vieira now at Nice - his managerial win column is pretty decent. This quote about Balotelli - "When it comes to Mario, I want to answer back, or just slam him up against the wall or leave him hanging by his collar on the coat rack, but I can’t, as I’m no longer a player.' We lacking this in the dressing room now I guess.

Post #498238  Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 am 

somewhere in North London are some very delirious fans :22cry: :1cry: :20hospitals:

when will it be us? :8angers:

Post #498239  Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 am 

If we could make a deal, I'd love to get Coutinho.

https://www.givemesport.com/1474000-phi ... y3HcNGSOJs

Post #498240  Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 am 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying the business and intricacies of transfers but it just seems we suck at it. Why is Mustafi an Arsenal player as long as he is? Even at a loss (and with a 17 mil transfer which seems critical right now) we'd have been much better off exchanging him for the best or one of the best conference defenders. Even a few lower table sides. There aren't many defenders I've seen worse than him.

The minute we knew we didn't want Ramsey anymore we should have been lining up someone of quality, take the hit financially if we had to than to let him go right now in the way we are.

We seem to hang on too long to players that it's clear aren't going to work out.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12453, 12454, 12455, 12456, 12457, 12458, 12459 ... 14269  Next