Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 106 guests

Post #513361  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 pm 

Good spot Rich.

Strange night huh. Liverpool now losing 3-0 :26surprise:
:42laughter:

Post #513362  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:06 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Good spot Rich.

Strange night huh. Liverpool now losing 3-0 :26surprise:
:42laughter:

God help us in the FA Cup semi.

Post #513363  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm 

So in our next 5 games only Man City won, if it stays the same, their last game and Wolves who appear to have a week off last lost in January?

If we can beat them on Saturday we should win 4 out of 5 but will our luck hold out? It only needs Dean or Atkinson to ref a game and all hope goes out the window.

To think we were so depressed after the Brighton game, what a turnaround...................

Post #513364  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
Right so Guendouzi being the subject of the post clearly the “he” in “he finished behind Xhaka” relates to Guendouzi. It wasn’t grammatically the clearest but it does show me you didn’t understand the graphic, engage with it or even look at it.

Yes, I’m sure you have a hard time believing Aubameyang is slower than Xhaka, no one thinks that or has even ever suggested it!

Believe what you will, I showed you actual evidence that at the time of the test he - that’s Guendouzi for clarity’s sake - was slower than Xhaka. It might not be the case now But it does go towards the case that Guendouzi is, in fact, slow.

Hadn’t you started off the post mentioning Aubameyang’s graphic? I simply presumed you were trying to say Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang so he must be quicker than Guendouzi. I also said I didn’t see the graphic.

Wonder what the fitness of players might be when any speed test was done? I imagine such tests are done when players are carrying knocks or when recovering from injury, to try and ascertain fitness. But I still think you are wrong in claiming Guendouzi is slow. I would describe his pace as average, as I’ve said.

Yes the graphic was early in Guendouzi’s arrival, and all may have changed, although I doubt by very much.

You think he’s average pace, I think he’s below average. I think we’ve pinpointed where we differ on that. I wasn’t super clear with the graphic, my apologies, and in reality it just points to the stats at that point of time, it isn’t irrelevant to the discussion but it isn’t a smoking gun either. I’m not sure Guendouzi is a player for the future of our midfield although I hope for the best. You do think he’s that player? and you also hope for the best. Is that a fair summation?

Post #513365  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Also, if I have read it right, a transfer at that fee means Liverpool will have made about £8m out of his time with them. That doesn't seem a lot. If Arsenal did that we'd never hear the end of it!

Liverpool? Do you mean city? Or are you thinking of Mané at Pool? I was racking my brain to think had I missed some complicated clause or a secret youth by Sane spent with Liverpool?? I have concluded it’s not me it’s you :laughing7:
Indeed. I am getting my Sane mixed up with my Mané!

Post #513366  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Hadn’t you started off the post mentioning Aubameyang’s graphic? I simply presumed you were trying to say Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang so he must be quicker than Guendouzi. I also said I didn’t see the graphic.

Wonder what the fitness of players might be when any speed test was done? I imagine such tests are done when players are carrying knocks or when recovering from injury, to try and ascertain fitness. But I still think you are wrong in claiming Guendouzi is slow. I would describe his pace as average, as I’ve said.

Yes the graphic was early in Guendouzi’s arrival, and all may have changed, although I doubt by very much.

You think he’s average pace, I think he’s below average. I think we’ve pinpointed where we differ on that. I wasn’t super clear with the graphic, my apologies, and in reality it just points to the stats at that point of time, it isn’t irrelevant to the discussion but it isn’t a smoking gun either. I’m not sure Guendouzi is a player for the future of our midfield although I hope for the best. You do think he’s that player? and you also hope for the best. Is that a fair summation?

I would say it’s a fair summation. Although ‘below average’ implies, to me anyway, something not quite as harsh as using the term ‘slow’, which you have used before. Simply because ‘below average’ implies something nearer the average than ‘slow’ does, although I also accept slow is below average. For me it’s just the suggestion of the terms, as I see them anyway.

Post #513367  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:37 pm 

Talking of goalkeepers watch the footage of this incredible match and ask yourself what was going on in the Italy keeper's head at certain times! Marvel at the great Rivera's winner. Cool as Pires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxr3kQnYvk

Post #513368  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:39 pm 

Phil Foden looks excellent every time I see him.
England have a potentially very exciting crop of young players it is a shame most of them are for the front 6 positions rather than defenders.
Foden, Sancho, Greenwood, Saka, Alexander-Arnold, Rashford, Mount, Rice - I think that crop are all 21 or under

Post #513369  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
England have a potentially very exciting crop of young players it is a shame most of them are for the front 6 positions rather than defenders.
Foden, Sancho, Greenwood, Saka, Alexander-Arnold, Rashford, Mount, Rice - I think that crop are all 21 or under

I was thinking the exact same thing Rich, really good crop, hadn’t noticed the defensive dearth. Rice made some noise at DM and can play at CB, And Alexander-Arnold as you mentioned, but yeah all up front apart from that
Is it only Saka from that list who hasn’t had a full call up? Theoretically he has the choice to represent Nigeria I think, he’s had an u-19 cap and that’s all so far. I don’t care loads about that, he’s signed for us and that’s the main thing.

Post #513370  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing Rich, really good crop, hadn’t noticed the defensive dearth. Rice made some noise at DM and can play at CB, And Alexander-Arnold as you mentioned, but yeah all up front apart from that
Is it only Saka from that list who hasn’t had a full call up? Theoretically he has the choice to represent Nigeria I think, he’s had an u-19 cap and that’s all so far. I don’t care loads about that, he’s signed for us and that’s the main thing.

Declan Rice and Jack Grealish both played all of their under-age football for Ireland. Those two would make an enormous difference to us now.

Post #513371  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:16 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

Declan Rice and Jack Grealish both played all of their under-age football for Ireland. Those two would make an enormous difference to us now.

Yeah, grealish and Maddison represent strength in depth for England right now, they could be lynchpins for Ireland. What do you feel about their decisions and the system? Seems to end up by nature favouring the bigger teams. Like Pacific Islanders and New Zealand, the kiwis get all the best players as a matter of course and they don’t really need the help.

Edit: don’t know why I said Maddison meant Rice. Although Maddison does represent strength in depth an no.10 position which is rare for England.

Post #513372  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 pm 

Ash wrote:
dec wrote:

Yeah, grealish and Maddison represent strength in depth for England right now, they could be lynchpins for Ireland. What do you feel about their decisions and the system? Seems to end up by nature favouring the bigger teams. Like Pacific Islanders and New Zealand, the kiwis get all the best players as a matter of course and they don’t really need the help.

Edit: don’t know why I said Maddison meant Rice. Although Maddison does represent strength in depth an no.10 position which is rare for England.

The system is flawed. I don't blame either of the two lads for their decisions because the financial benefits of playing for England are far greater. There is something wrong with a system that allows a kid who has represented a country for 4 or 5 years at under-age level simply switch when it comes to senior level.

As an aside, I think Grealish should be a regular starter for the England team these days as opposed to a squaddie. He's a cracking player.

Post #513373  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 pm 

So much for the Liverpool title being something special. Two Arsenal teams had better seasons winning the title than them.

Post #513374  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 am 

Interesting article. Gets my vote:

Rio Ferdinand has praised Bukayo Saka’s passion for Arsenal and believes Mikel Arteta needs to build his team around the teenager and two other young, hungry Gunners players. The 18-year-old put any doubts over his future to bed by signing a new long-term contract on Wednesday, having cemented his status as an integral part of the first-team squad after an excellent breakout campaign. Saka spoke of his love for the club upon penning his extension and Ferdinand believes that attitude needs to be the basis around which Arsenal mould the rest of their squad.

Asked how important that attitude is, Manchester United legend Ferdinand said on BT Sport: ‘Yeah I think attitude but the right characters and people that want to be at the club.

‘And I think the great thing about Saka, and seeing his tweet there and his statement when he was talking there, is that he loves the club and he believes in the philosophy and he wants to move forward with the club and improve here. ‘They’ve got to get more players to build around that. And I’d build this club around him, around [Gabriel] Martinelli, and around [Joe] Willock.

‘These young players that have come through and the badge means something to these young boys. ‘And they need players around that to build within that as well, to understand that, to come in and accept that this is the place they want to be and they believe in the management and they want to go forward together.’

Fellow pundit and Arsenal legend Martin Keown agreed, adding: ‘When I was coming through the ranks and was part of an outstanding youth team, you look back at [David] Rocastle, [Michael] Thomas and Tony Adams, it was very important when you look back that we really loved the club. ‘Saka mentions that, he loves the club, and you need that type of player, the fans need to identify with that. He is the fan on the pitch. So build it around those players.

Post #513375  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm 

And then there's this

Post #513376  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:04 pm 

If we get Partey along with Saliba, it will have immediate effect on team defense.

Post #513377  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:38 pm 

Martinelli has signed a new long term contract.

Post #513378  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 pm 

Rumours on the internet saying Aubameyang wants a minimum of a 3 year deal on £250k per week.
If that is true then I’d pay it to him in a heartbeat.

Post #513379  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Martinelli has signed a new long term contract.

By the way, when Martinelli announces his delight at signing the contract on his social media he signed off with
“Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back” @tonyadams

The lad has quoted Tony Adams in his message!

Post #513380  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:13 pm 

Give Aubameyang what he's asking.
It was done for Özil so it can be done for Aubameyang.

Post #513381  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:21 pm 

Rich wrote:
Rumours on the internet saying Aubameyang wants a minimum of a 3 year deal on £250k per week.

Yep. No question. He will slow down over the next few years but we will get at least 2 years of top level striker out of him.

Post #513382  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:40 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yep. No question. He will slow down over the next few years but we will get at least 2 years of top level striker out of him.

It is a £40m commitment to a top level striker, with an impeccable injury record and probably guarantees at least 60 goals over those 3 years.

You’d have to find a £20m striker, pay him £125k a year and expect the same output. £20m last season bought Sheff Utd Ollie McBurnie

Post #513383  Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 pm 

dec wrote:
Ash wrote:

The system is flawed. I don't blame either of the two lads for their decisions because the financial benefits of playing for England are far greater. There is something wrong with a system that allows a kid who has represented a country for 4 or 5 years at under-age level simply switch when it comes to senior level.

As an aside, I think Grealish should be a regular starter for the England team these days as opposed to a squaddie. He's a cracking player.

It’s a problem that any small-ish nation with a large diaspora, as Ireland has, will have. I’m not sure how you get round it. I do feel for ireland though.

Post #513384  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:34 am 

I'm guessing the mood in England of Liverpool winning the title is far more subdued had there not been a Covid -19 pandemic.

There is a sort of 'meh' about it. Maybe because it was a foregone conclusion but I have to think it would have been a much, much bigger event nationally otherwise.

I'm reading whisperings of Tottenham not happy with Mourinho. I can't believe I'm feeling sorry for him. Doesn't change the fact I get a thrill seeing Tottenham lose.

Post #513385  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm guessing the mood in England of Liverpool winning the title is far more subdued had there not been a Covid -19 pandemic. There is a sort of 'meh' about it. Maybe because it was a foregone conclusion but I have to think it would have been a much, much bigger event nationally otherwise...
Yes Covid-19 has affected the response but another thing making it less than spectacular news is that Liverpool have won trophies since their last league title. Two European Cups, a UEFA Cup, four League Cups and three FA Cups. Although the league eluded them they never went away as a big club. Arsenal's complete lack of silverware from 1953 until 1970 was a far bigger story at the time. Such a massive club going all those years without any success was a real cross to bear for the fans. In comparison the Scousers have carried a light load.

Post #513386  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am 

Seems we are getting fined by FIFA for getting paid on sell on clauses.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... ZuizLGLqo4

Post #513387  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:26 am 

omoh,
I wasn't following football when we won in '89, not having won it since '71, winning cups inbetween that time, Man Utd as well, not having won since '67 was it? Won 4 FA cups inbetween their title in '92.

I have to think both of us winning it after such a long time, even though both won trophies since then had to be a huge national event being among the 3 biggest clubs in the country.

Granted, Liverpool has won more trophies within that time than either us or Man Utd but still, without Covid 19, I'd imagine it to be national news that even non football fans would be hearing about in the media.

But maybe its as you say, they were winning things anyway, even though a league title was elusive for 30 years.

Post #513388  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:08 pm 

.....pushed to explain what his ”on the boat” comment meant, Arsenal head coach Arteta replied: “Players that respect the values we want to implement, that they are 100 per cent committed to our culture, and players that are accountable every day for what we demand from them.

“Players that are ready to help each other, fight for each other and enjoy playing together.

“That is what I mean by being on the boat. If you behave like this every day, you are very very welcome here and we want to get the best out of you and help you to enjoy your profession with us.”

I’m 100% on board with those standards for being in the arsenal squad

Post #513389  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:25 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh,
I wasn't following football when we won in '89, not having won it since '71, winning cups inbetween that time, Man Utd as well, not having won since '67 was it? Won 4 FA cups inbetween their title in '92.

I have to think both of us winning it after such a long time, even though both won trophies since then had to be a huge national event being among the 3 biggest clubs in the country.

Granted, Liverpool has won more trophies within that time than either us or Man Utd but still, without Covid 19, I'd imagine it to be national news that even non football fans would be hearing about in the media.

But maybe its as you say, they were winning things anyway, even though a league title was elusive for 30 years.
Hi AG - yes it is normal over here for any trophy gained by Liverpool or United to be highly lauded, much more so than the success of other clubs. It would be an interesting debate why that is so. It may have its roots in the way things northern became very vogueish in England back in the 60s which coincided with much greater exposure of the game on TV. United also had a reservoir of national sympathy over the Munich air crash, which was sort of replicated years later for Liverpool with the Hillsborough disaster. There is a romance surrounding both clubs which other English clubs can't match. Chelsea have probably been the most successful club over the last couple of decades but for all their success and great players they have never captured the national imagination.

Post #513390  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm 

I can't see Chelsea or Tottenham attaining that status. No matter how badly we are doing, we will be seen as one of the storied sides. And I imagine, guessing on my point, the one club from the south that Londoners, the home counties and the south in general can take pride in terms of history over the northerners.

Post #513391  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm 

Martinez, Mustafi, Luiz, Kolasinac, Soares, Ceballos, Xhaka, Tierney, Saka, Nketiah, Aubameyang.

No Özil or Guendouzi in the squad.

Post #513392  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I can't see Chelsea or Tottenham attaining that status. No matter how badly we are doing, we will be seen as one of the storied sides. And I imagine, guessing on my point, the one club from the south that Londoners, the home counties and the south in general can take pride in terms of history over the northerners.
As time passes former reputations fade without success on the field. In my lifetime Everton and Wolves were considered very big clubs. Newcastle, Tottenham and Leeds perhaps a little less, but still significant. All of them are searching for the big time again, and personally I am chuffed to see Wolves doing so well. So well in fact they can afford to help us later today. From earlier days of the game Preston, Aston Villa, Sunderland and Huddersfield were all big noises, but not now.

I like your description of Arsenal as a storied club, and agree we may always be so both for our fascinating history and every now and then, wonderful teams.

Post #513393  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:18 pm 

Pépé not in the squad as his wife’s having a baby. Great for him, not for us as he’s an important player on the counter.
Looking forward to seeing Cédric properly.
Seems like it might be 3-5-2, or perhaps Saka or Aubameyang playing wide right, hopefully the former to match up with wolves as they have a very strong middle 5

Post #513394  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:20 pm 

Man U are flying going forward. Greenwood looks as good as any 18 year old in world football at the moment. Rashford and Martial adding bags of pace. Bruno Fernandes has totally transformed an awful midfield. Looks like a central mid who is good for 15 goals and 15 assists a season.

Post #513395  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm 

Sakaaaaaaaaaa

Post #513396  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm 

Wow what a strike from Saka 1-0!

Post #513397  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 pm 

Decent first half. Very few times we looked under pressure. Controlled a lot of the ball but mainly with safe possession.
Nketiah hit a snap shot on the post, hardly any other chances other than a fantastic finish from Saka. Aubameyang with the hold up to bring Tierney in to play and Arsenal had 3 players in the box.
Saka has played left back, left mid, left wing and now right wing. He’s a special player

Post #513398  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:26 pm 

Rich wrote:

Pleasing because up till then I didn’t think he’d had one of his better games.

Post #513399  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Pleasing because up till then I didn’t think he’d had one of his better games.

Not sure he and Cédric are on the same wavelength yet

Post #513400  Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 pm 

Wolves putting the pressure on. Getting all the 50/50ms from the ref as well. Never helps

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12832, 12833, 12834, 12835, 12836, 12837, 12838 ... 14269  Next