Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests

Post #513281  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
VAR in our favour again. We’re on a roll.

Awful from Cantwell. Initiated contact, dive then complain and appeal loudly and accusingly to the ref. Desperate stuff.

Post #513282  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 pm 

Aubameyang! Another gift

Post #513283  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 pm 

Lacazette making too many mistakes imo.

He needs to be moved on asap.

And Aubameyang shows him how to do it.......................

Post #513284  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 pm 

It's nice of Norwich to recognise a fellow struggler and throw us all these bones.

Post #513285  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 pm 

Next 4 games will make or break our season.

Wolves Leicester, Spurs then Liverpool..........................

Post #513286  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm 

Leicester are in reverse at the moment. If they lose today they’re only 3 points ahead of Man U and wolves in 4th and 5th. It wouldn’t surprise me if both overtook them as well as Chelsea and Leicester finish 6th. Would be incredibly harsh on them as the shutdown and restart of football seems to have affected them, whereas Man U have managed to get rashford and pogba both back fit for games they wouldn’t have played

Post #513287  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Next 4 games will make or break our season.

Wolves Leicester, Spurs then Liverpool..........................

First 4 months broke our season.

Post #513288  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 pm 

Oh my goodness! Cédric Soares is coming on!

Post #513289  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm 

Hooray, great changes by the Boss.....................

Post #513290  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm 

Cédric!!! :21encouragement:

Post #513291  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm 

Yay. Way to mark your debut. Cédric!!!!

Post #513292  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm 

Cédric! 4-0

Post #513293  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 pm 

That Cédric, eh?

Who knew?

Post #513294  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 pm 

What a great start to his carreer....................

Post #513295  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 pm 

Thankfully we haven’t missed Leno with Martinez stepping in.

Post #513296  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 pm 

12 shots 8 on target. Nice to see

Post #513297  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:52 pm 

Dafatone wrote:

Yep, Martinez has been top quality. He's a big guy, brilliant shot stopping and top class distribution. Has stepped up well.

Post #513298  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Dafatone wrote:

Yep, Martinez has been top quality. He's a big guy, brilliant shot stopping and top class distribution. Has stepped up well.

He’s looked good when he’s played in Europe

Post #513299  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:06 pm 

DHD wrote:
That Cédric, eh?

Who knew?

Pah, that shot wasn’t even on target, got lucky with the deflection, should be dropped to teach him a lesson...

Post #513300  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 pm 

Arteta on Guendouzi's absence: "It is the same reasons as last week.

"Somethings have to change and nothing has changed."

Post #513301  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ah, that clears it right up!

Post #513302  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It’s pretty clear what the problem is as far as I can see

Post #513303  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

It’s pretty clear what the problem is as far as I can see

So move him on? If we sell him for more than 7M it’ll be the first I can remember for a long time, of buying a young player, selling for a profit and not ripping the heart out of our team.

Post #513304  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:32 pm 

Enjoying the rewards the forwards are getting from closing down the defence and gk. twice in a couple of games.
It’s more than just closing down the man on the ball, it needs the whole team to buy in to the press and the positioning needs to be spot on so passing channels are closed off. Force a mistake high up the pitch or force them to go aimlessly long and regain possession. To get all this right needs hours and hours of work on the training pitch. Klopp and Pep both play this high press but both took at least a season to implement it properly

Post #513305  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 pm 

Ash wrote:
If you could sell two players to make funds available, because I’m convinced thats the only way we’re making any signings other than free’s and loans, who would you let go?

Mine would be Lacazette and (look away Bern) Guendouzi. Two players who would bring in decent fees and I think have played out their time here.

Sadly Lacazette has not been able to reproduce his Lyon's scoring form for us. But we are likely to lose Aubameyang and that may see Lacazette being retained.

As for Guendouzi, a good squad player at the moment but can't get along with Arteta? But we may need the numbers in midfield - Özil, Ceballos and even Torreira may be gone next season. Unless Mkhitaryan and Elneny are integrated back to team but that doesn't seem like the plan.

Post #513306  Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:30 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:
If you could sell two players to make funds available, because I’m convinced thats the only way we’re making any signings other than free’s and loans, who would you let go?

Mine would be Lacazette and (look away Bern) Guendouzi. Two players who would bring in decent fees and I think have played out their time here.

Sadly Lacazette has not been able to reproduce his Lyon's scoring form for us. But we are likely to lose Aubameyang and that may see Lacazette being retained.

As for Guendouzi, a good squad player at the moment but can't get along with Arteta? But we may need the numbers in midfield - Özil, Ceballos and even Torreira may be gone next season. Unless Mkhitaryan and Elneny are integrated back to team but that doesn't seem like the plan.

Mkhitaryan is gone, we’ve released him. I forgot Elneny even existed, I can’t see it, but quite a few players have returned Lazarus like under Arteta so never say never. Why might Torreria be gone next season? I also don’t think we’ll miss Özil seeing as he never plays. If we sell Guendouzi for a decent fee I think it’s a given we’ll sign someone in midfield to replace him.

Post #513307  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 am 

Rich wrote:
Rich wrote:
He did, but I assume he was just talking on the basis that Arsenal can't use him so why not extend the loan. The money side of things adds complexity

https://www.arsenal.com/news/william-saliba-statement

Wonderful news :58big-emoticons:

Post #513308  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 am 

Another 3 points away from relegation. Looking good.

We have a promising group of young players to develop into a well oiled team. Come on Arteta, do your stuff during the shortened off-season.

Post #513309  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Post #513310  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 am 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I respect Arteta for not elaborating details. He is also not using his power to talk up the matter, to.make Guendozi look bad. Respect.

Have an issue, try to resolve, cannot resolve, move on. That's the way to go.

Post #513311  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:47 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

Agree with you. Guendozi is a good squad player. Not in the same level as Vieira or Fabregas. Can he develop into that level? Yes, only if he focus fully on it and not let his emotions or ego get the better of him.

Post #513312  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Leicester are in reverse at the moment. If they lose today they’re only 3 points ahead of Man U and wolves in 4th and 5th. It wouldn’t surprise me if both overtook them as well as Chelsea and Leicester finish 6th. Would be incredibly harsh on them as the shutdown and restart of football seems to have affected them, whereas Man U have managed to get rashford and pogba both back fit for games they wouldn’t have played

I think Leicester have won 2 in their last 10 since start of the year so their decline started earlier. Agree on Man U fortune in having players return from injury. Meanwhile, in true Arsenal fashion, we start after the shutdown when everyone should be nice and fresh and get a swag of injuries. :)

Post #513313  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:21 am 

Ash wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Mkhitaryan is gone, we’ve released him. I forgot Elneny even existed, I can’t see it, but quite a few players have returned Lazarus like under Arteta so never say never. Why might Torreria be gone next season? I also don’t think we’ll miss Özil seeing as he never plays. If we sell Guendouzi for a decent fee I think it’s a given we’ll sign someone in midfield to replace him.

Agree we won't miss Özil just like we haven't missed Mkhitaryan and Elneny. Not sure how happy Torreira is at Arsenal but there have been transfer rumours surrounding him even in his first season with us. Our CM roster could look something like this next season: Xhaka, Willock, AMN, Emile Smith Rowe + 1 or even 2 new CMs

Post #513314  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Agree with you. Guendozi is a good squad player. Not in the same level as Vieira or Fabregas. Can he develop into that level? Yes, only if he focus fully on it and not let his emotions or ego get the better of him.

Can he develop to the level of the two best midfielders we’ve ever had? Safe to say no on that one.

Post #513315  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:54 am 

Ash wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Can he develop to the level of the two best midfielders we’ve ever had? Safe to say no on that one.

Fabregas one “of the two best midfielders we’ve ever had”. Good god, he wouldn’t even get on the bench of my best ever Arsenal team, let alone the starting eleven. Brady was comfortably better. I’d put Pires above Fabregas too: he was much quicker for a start. But maybe pace no longer bothers you if you think Fabregas is one of our two best midfielders ever?

Different type of player but I’d have Petit in my team before Fabregas as well.

Post #513316  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Fabregas one “of the two best midfielders we’ve ever had”. Good god, he wouldn’t even get on the bench of my best ever Arsenal team, let alone the starting eleven. Brady was comfortably better. I’d put Pires above Fabregas too: he was much quicker for a start. But maybe pace no longer bothers you if you think Fabregas is one of our two best midfielders ever?

But he was faster than Guendouzi though wasn’t he, and was also comfortably better in every regard at 17, making up for the pace with other attributes, see, that was my point. Guendouzi is slow and not good enough at other things to make up for it. And thankfully looks like he’s being moved on.

Post #513317  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:22 am 

Goonie wrote:

Price dependent of course - I’m hoping that Ceballos stays. He’s becoming a far more influential player for us and putting in far more complete performances.

Also it seems to me that Xhaka is doing far less of the stupid stuff like diving in which is a big positive.

The hand of Arteta perhaps?

Post #513318  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 am 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But he was faster than Guendouzi though wasn’t he, and was also comfortably better in every regard at 17, making up for the pace with other attributes, see, that was my point. Guendouzi is slow and not good enough at other things to make up for it. And thankfully looks like he’s being moved on.

By having average pace Guendouzi is quicker than Fabregas, who was slow. When Guendouzi first broke into the team he struck me as the best youngster since Fabregas.

I’m still hoping your wish to see him moved won’t be satisfied. Heard a little of a radio interview yesterday (I was in my wife’s car who changes the station that’s on way too much to keep track or even bother asking what’s on).

Anyway, there was some bloke with some sort of Arsenal background being interviewed. An ex-player I presume, but it could be another type of job or even a guy from a fan group for all I know. He said he doesn’t see Guendouzi being sold as he is rated within the club. Perhaps they’re trying to hasten his maturity? Who knows but it gave me a little ray of comfort as I genuinely think he’s a top player in the making. There was also a little hope offered by some more formal report earlier in the week that Guendouzi has been told he won’t be sold.

Going back to your initial post on this sort of thread naming players you want sold, why was there no mention of Aubameyang? If he refuses to renew his contact, do you see keeping him next season but then losing him for nothing as better than selling him now for what hopefully would be for a decent transfer fee to enable some sort of replacement to be signed, or a player in another position?

Post #513319  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:45 am 

Goonie wrote:
Agree we won't miss Özil just like we haven't missed Mkhitaryan and Elneny. Not sure how happy Torreira is at Arsenal but there have been transfer rumours surrounding him even in his first season with us. Our CM roster could look something like this next season: Xhaka, Willock, AMN, Emile Smith Rowe + 1 or even 2 new CMs

Central midfield really is a priority in the summer. Özil is no great loss, nor Mkhi and Elneny. Ceballos will return to Madrid, Torreira could go back to Italy and Guendouzi could be used to raise funds. That is 3 players who have had a fair emount of minutes this season. If those 3 go we definitely need 2 central midfielders and I think we also need another attacking creative central mid.
If Arteta uses the 3-4-3 as the last few games then it is Xhaka + 1 in the middle. But if he goes down the City route of 4-1-2-3 then it is Xhaka at the base plus 2 x No.8's (de bruyne + silva in the city team). Saka starts coming in to the equation for that role and it potentially suits Willock and ASR but both are still very young and asking them to control a game and be responsible for our creative output is too much. None of the other midfielders suit this.

To get a team to suit Arteta's management style we've seen so far I think as a minimum you need a couple more central mids, 1 who can play deep or box-to-box and another who can play box-to-box or attacking, swap out lacazette for a more mobile striker. Plenty more work to do in the squad, particularly in improving quality in defence but the 3 areas mentioned above are not necessarily about quality it is about the make-up of the player to suit the managers way of playing

Post #513320  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I’m hoping that Ceballos stays. He’s becoming a far more influential player for us and putting in far more complete performances.

Hasn’t the extension of Ceballos’ loan deal been confirmed? I’m sure I saw headlines saying it had. But having said that, I don’t recall reading any of the reports so perhaps I simply misunderstood the headline.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12830, 12831, 12832, 12833, 12834, 12835, 12836 ... 14269  Next