Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 177 guests

Post #500761  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Mustafi booed when he came on

I don't condone booing our own players but I am sympathetic with the sentiment. Mustafi wants to do his best. So, I have respect that he is doing the best job he can.

The club has to get rid of him even at a financial loss. If its his wages, pay the difference to a club. He's going to lose us crucial points and we can't go into the season with that kind of liability. I'd take a quality conference defender any day of the week over him right now. Why can't we do that? Something has to be done. I read we have been trying to sell him every transfer window. Other clubs seem to get rid of dead weight. Why are we so different?

Post #500762  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:51 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Mustafi booed when he came on

I don't condone booing our own players but I am sympathetic with the sentiment. Mustafi wants to do his best. So, I have respect that he is doing the best job he can.

The club has to get rid of him even at a financial loss. If its his wages, pay the difference to a club. He's going to lose us crucial points and we can't go into the season with that kind of liability. I'd take a quality conference defender any day of the week over him right now. Why can't we do that? Something has to be done. I read we have been trying to sell him every transfer window. Other clubs seem to get rid of dead weight. Why are we so different?

Which quality conference defenders to you think might do the job?

Post #500763  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:25 am 

I watched highlights of the Lyon game only. I am a little concerned with our defending on their second goal. Did Koscielny play at all in any preseason games? Not saying I want to ever see him again - just curious as to what defenders we have available.

Post #500764  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Pépé

https://youtu.be/GY5pXemrdk4

Can go past players for fun

The longer this drags on the less confident I am it's actually going to happen. Am reading reports of rival bids and that we haven't come to an agreement with the player, just the club.

Post #500765  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I said something similar before. This idea that Mustafi is the worst player of all time, that American seems to have convinced himself of, is pure claptrap. I thought lomekian did an excellent post about Mustafi a few days ago. Does American block lomekian, or would he have read it? Mustafi main problem is that he makes occasional catastrophic errors which, if he could cut out, would make him at least fairly reasonable. I accept we paid too much for him and if he can be sold for a semi-decent price, then great. But this idea American has that you could easily find someone in the Conference better than him strikes me as so stupid it’s laughable.

Post #500766  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Pépé

The longer this drags on the less confident I am it's actually going to happen. Am reading reports of rival bids and that we haven't come to an agreement with the player, just the club.

I’m thinking exactly the same Bromley. It won’t be too long before I’ll be very surprised if we get him.

Post #500767  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I’m thinking exactly the same Bromley. It won’t be too long before I’ll be very surprised if we get him.

Would have been better if Ornstein had kept his mouth shut instead of big noting himself. We might have snuck it thru. Now I have no idea.

Post #500768  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Pépé

Drags on? It was only broken less than 48 hours ago. I'm pretty sure we know we have a deal, hence Ornstein's tweet. He's been given the nod I reckon.

Post #500769  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 am 

I think Mustafi is awful, but booing him? That's just *%^@*** dreadful.

Post #500770  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Pépé

Big high profile agents are involved so I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage.

It is quite unusual for Ornstein to go public without being pretty certain about something though. I think he did backtrack slightly in later tweets suggesting that although an agreement had been reached with Lille agreements still needed to be worked out with the player and his agents.

Post #500771  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 am 

Darren wrote:

It is, no wonder the bloke is a nervous wreck.

Post #500772  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I said something similar before. This idea that Mustafi is the worst player of all time, that American seems to have convinced himself of, is pure claptrap. I thought lomekian did an excellent post about Mustafi a few days ago. Does American block lomekian, or would he have read it? Mustafi main problem is that he makes occasional catastrophic errors which, if he could cut out, would make him at least fairly reasonable. I accept we paid too much for him and if he can be sold for a semi-decent price, then great. But this idea American has that you could easily find someone in the Conference better than him strikes me as so stupid it’s laughable.

Pure claptrap indeed Bernard. If there were any National League defenders ready to step into a top 6 Premier League club and do a better job than a German international like Mustafi, despite his flaws, then clubs would be queueing up. I go and see Bromley Town from time to time, and I can assure you none of their defenders are good enough for Arsenal.
If we choose to loan out Medley this summer, he would certainly be picked up by a League One club at worst in my opinion. So surely we'd be better off promoting Medley if we wanted to replace Mustafi than trawling around the non league clubs. And most of us would agree that despite his promise Medley isn't ready for the Arsenal first team just yet.

Post #500773  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:55 am 

Darren wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Drags on? It was only broken less than 48 hours ago. I'm pretty sure we know we have a deal, hence Ornstein's tweet. He's been given the nod I reckon.

I hope you're right Darren.

Post #500774  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 am 

Darren wrote:

Agreed, and it just seems counter-productive. I get that a q&a with the new regime turns hostile, and I think that’s pretty much fair enough. They need to understand the level of frustration that has been building for a number of years now, and even though it probably wasn’t a pleasant evening for them it comes with the job.

Booing a player, whoever it is, can only lead to creating a toxic atmosphere around the club which is the last thing we need when trying to build a new team.

Post #500775  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
I said something similar before. This idea that Mustafi is the worst player of all time, that American seems to have convinced himself of, is pure claptrap.

To be fair to AG, a lot of fans seem to be convinced that a number of our players are completely useless. The same is being said about Iwobi, Xhaka and Mkhitaryan for example, all of whom are really good yet flawed players who I’m certain would perform well in a better side than we were last season.

I wouldn't mind replacing all of them (except for maybe Iwobi) if we could find an upgrade, but the notion that they don't even belong in the Premier League is ridiculous.

Post #500776  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:15 am 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

Indeed. I flagged this in a post a few days back. I don't think there is any way back for Mustafi at Arsenal now. I posted that the crowd would be on his back as soon as he made his first mistake, but now it seems they're not going to bother waiting that long. He's getting it before he has even set foot on the pitch. Which is a disgrace really, no matter how poor he is. And it helps no one, not the player, or the team as a whole. And the opposition will know it is happening and target him even more.

For his sake I hope can go somewhere else and be a good player. But it ain't going to happen at Arsenal.

Post #500777  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Pure claptrap indeed Bernard. If there were any National League defenders ready to step into a top 6 Premier League club and do a better job than a German international like Mustafi, despite his flaws, then clubs would be queueing up. I go and see Bromley Town from time to time, and I can assure you none of their defenders are good enough for Arsenal.
If we choose to loan out Medley this summer, he would certainly be picked up by a League One club at worst in my opinion. So surely we'd be better off promoting Medley if we wanted to replace Mustafi than trawling around the non league clubs. And most of us would agree that despite his promise Medley isn't ready for the Arsenal first team just yet.

We had a very young team play away to Barnet last week and we still scored three goals, winning 2-3. Barnet are in the Conference; that says something about the level of the Conference - or whatever the league is officially called now.

See Medley got on as a late sub yesterday on 86 minutes. Wonder if he had time to do anything good or bad?

Post #500778  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I said something similar before. This idea that Mustafi is the worst player of all time, that American seems to have convinced himself of, is pure claptrap.

To be fair to AG, a lot of fans seem to be convinced that a number of our players are completely useless. The same is being said about Iwobi, Xhaka and Mkhitaryan for example, all of whom are really good yet flawed players who I’m certain would perform well in a better side than we were last season.

I wouldn't mind replacing all of them (except for maybe Iwobi) if we could find an upgrade, but the notion that they don't even belong in the Premier League is ridiculous.

I agree he’s not the only one. But as you imply, that doesn’t stop it from being utter claptrap.

Post #500779  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
See Medley got on as a late sub yesterday on 86 minutes. Wonder if he had time to do anything good or bad?

Not really, he was played as a left back which doesn't really suit him. Think it was more about giving him a taste of a game at the Emirates than anything else. Looks some way off the first team, but I guess defenders take longer to develop too.

Post #500780  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Not really, he was played as a left back which doesn't really suit him. Think it was more about giving him a taste of a game at the Emirates than anything else. Looks some way off the first team, but I guess defenders take longer to develop too.

Thanks.

Post #500781  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am 

tomc wrote:
socrates wrote:

Indeed. I flagged this in a post a few days back. I don't think there is any way back for Mustafi at Arsenal now. I posted that the crowd would be on his back as soon as he made his first mistake, but now it seems they're not going to bother waiting that long. He's getting it before he has even set foot on the pitch. Which is a disgrace really, no matter how poor he is. And it helps no one, not the player, or the team as a whole. And the opposition will know it is happening and target him even more.

For his sake I hope can go somewhere else and be a good player. But it ain't going to happen at Arsenal.

He's done at Arsenal. The crowd isn't going to stop booing him and its going to hurt the whole squad when it happens. I've gotten some sympathy for him (as well as the sentiment against him but booing is too far).

Is it really that difficult to get rid of him?

Post #500782  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

He's done at Arsenal. The crowd isn't going to stop booing him and its going to hurt the whole squad when it happens. I've gotten some sympathy for him (as well as the sentiment against him but booing is too far).

Oh the irony

Post #500783  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

If Koscielny is never going to play for the club again, which hardly seems the most far-fetched or outlandish comment ever, might the management not be keen to lose Mustafi? Not including Koscielny, the only central defenders we have anywhere near the squad are Sokratis, an injured Holding (when will he be fit again?), Mustafi, Medley (who nobody seems to think is anywhere near ready yet) and Mavropanos (who in his brief appearances last season looked even further from being ready than Medley).

As things currently stand, I’m not certain it’s impossible that we’d prefer Mustafi to stay. Or have I forgotten anyone in my list above?

EDIT: I forgot Monreal who did play out of position last season. But like Koscielny, he looks as far past it as Medley allegedly does from being ready. The only difference I can see between Monreal and Koscielny is that Monreal isn’t refusing to play for the club.

Post #500784  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:34 am 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:

I don’t agree with booing him but if he’s a nervous wreck that’s on him. His mistakes are ludicrous, failing to get goalside in a cup final, his debacle at palace costing us champions league, giving away ludicrous penalties. He’s just an absolute liability and it’s visible to every fan. He’s gonna get booed and it’s because he’s utterly brainless.

Years back he would have been moved on by now but because of his 100k wages and huge fee we can’t. The reality is the club should have loaned him out this coming season but due to our own issues we haven’t been able to bring in a replacement so we will have to watch the Mustafi debacle all over again this year. Our problems are literally played out over and over in front of our eyes

Post #500785  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:54 pm 

To be fair Top Gun, did Mustafi give away any more penalties through reckless tackles last season than Holding, who you seem to grossly overrate? They both conceded one at Palace; didn’t Holding give one away against Tottenham with a silly tackle?

Post #500786  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
To be fair Top Gun, did Mustafi give away any more penalties through reckless tackles last season than Holding, who you seem to grossly overrate? They both conceded one at Palace; didn’t Holding give one away against Tottenham with a silly tackle?

Firstly. The Holding one at spurs was a blatant dive.

Secondly for your viewing pleasure...

https://youtu.be/apjtTqavJQM

Post #500787  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:47 pm 

Hoping the Tierney transfer gets finalized. Any quality help at the back is sorely needed.

Post #500788  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 pm 

Bring back the caption competition.

Post #500789  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 pm 

With Pépé, Tierney and everything else we'll be slightly better this season. I do think we will miss Ramsey more than people think and I think he'll do very well in Italy, the best of luck to him.
That said, its going to be dicey this season. Man Utd is active in the transfer market, trying to get players in, dead weight out but who knows how this will all pan out. OGS came back to earth towards the end of the season. Chelsea is another club that's a wild card. City will be great, Liverpool will be good, Tottenham...hmmm...should be but one never knows. Not too much has changed there.
Top 4 is there for us and with a season under his belt, I'm expecting a bit more out of Emery. He still hasn't gotten 'his team' yet so I would give him some room till he gets the XI he wants for his system. Still, I expect improvement upon last season.

Post #500790  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:38 pm 

...and I like the new kit. Didn't buy it last season but will get this season's shirt.

Post #500791  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The Holding tackle against Tottenham was barmy, I thought pretty well everyone accepted that. I’m not saying I rate Mustafi, but a few YouTube type clips isn’t the oracle. You seem determined to focus on everything bad he does and ignore Holding’s downside. Your arguments would come across better, in my view, if you made a slight attempt to be more even handed.

Post #500792  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:14 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

I hope you're right Darren.

One of those recently simmering deals hovering in the background waiting to pounce.

Post #500793  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm 

Sky now reporting that a deal has been agreed for Pépé. Medical in a few days.

Post #500794  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The Holding tackle against Tottenham was barmy, I thought pretty well everyone accepted that. I’m not saying I rate Mustafi, but a few YouTube type clips isn’t the oracle. You seem determined to focus on everything bad he does and ignore Holding’s downside. Your arguments would come across better, in my view, if you made a slight attempt to be more even handed.

I think Holding is just about OK but at least he is young so has plenty of time to improve. Mustafi, on the other hand, is an experienced player prone to all sorts of errors. He has a terrible habit of going to ground when it's completely unnecessary. The booing is absurd and he has become a scapegoat for all of our defensive problems (which Emery singularly failed to make any progress on last season). He is the new Eboue but without the madcap charm.

Post #500795  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm 

dec wrote:
I think Holding is just about OK but at least he is young so has plenty of time to improve. Mustafi, on the other hand, is an experienced player prone to all sorts of errors. He has a terrible habit of going to ground when it's completely unnecessary. The booing is absurd and he has become a scapegoat for all of our defensive problems (which Emery singularly failed to make any progress on last season). He is the new Eboue but without the madcap charm.

I would agree with that, not only about Mustafi but about Holding being just about okay. He’s alright, but nothing that special. A decent second tier (so well outside the top group) defender.

Post #500796  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

If the transfer fee with Lille has been agreed and the deal with Pépé is also agreed, why will the medical be in a few days? Has the club doctor joined Koscielny on strike, or is Pépé walking to London from France?

Post #500797  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t over rate Holding, he’s our 2nd best centre half and can provide excellent performances when on form, is he world class ? Clearly not right now but he is a valuable player.

Mustafi however is *%^@
Always will be *%^@
And his shittyness has cost us dearly time and time again.

Post #500798  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If the transfer fee with Lille has been agreed and the deal with Pépé is also agreed, why will the medical be in a few days? Has the club doctor joined Koscielny on strike, or is Pépé walking to London from France?

A point that I had also reflected on. Until I see it on the AFC site then I put it in the ‘maybe’ camp.

Post #500799  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I would agree with that, not only about Mustafi but about Holding being just about okay. He’s alright, but nothing that special. A decent second tier (so well outside the top group) defender.

To put things in perspective and illustrate how standards have fallen since the invincibles days:

Koscielny in his prime was light years ahead of any of the CBs we currently have at our disposal.

Sol Campbell in his prime was light years ahead of Koscielny.

Post #500800  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:14 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

To put things in perspective and illustrate how standards have fallen since the invincibles days:

Koscielny in his prime was light years ahead of any of the CBs we currently have at our disposal.

Sol Campbell in his prime was light years ahead of Koscielny.

Fair comment.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12517, 12518, 12519, 12520, 12521, 12522, 12523 ... 14292  Next