Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris and 100 guests

Post #509281  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Alex Cropley. I’d quite forgotten that name. I was very excited when he signed for us.

It was a leg break and then a repeat of that break that did for him wasn’t it?
Shades of Diaby there.

Yes I think it was a leg break. Both of our signings from Hibernian, Cropley and earlier Marinello, seemed exciting at the time. Both had talent but it never quite worked out for them at Arsenal.

Post #509282  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Alex Cropley. I’d quite forgotten that name. I was very excited when he signed for us.

It was a leg break and then a repeat of that break that did for him wasn’t it?
Shades of Diaby there.

Yes I think it was a leg break. Both of our signings from Hibernian, Cropley and earlier Marinello, seemed exciting at the time. Both had talent but it never quite worked out for them at Arsenal.

If only Marinello had put away that one on one in the European Cup semi final. Lives long in the memory.

Post #509283  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If only Martinelli had put away that one on one in the European Cup semi final. Lives long in the memory.

Have you just returned from the future, Marty McFly-style, LTG? Don't spoil it by telling us what year this is going to happen. And throw away that sports almanac. No good can come of it.

Post #509284  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
If only Martinelli had put away that one on one in the European Cup semi final. Lives long in the memory.

Have you just returned from the future, Marty McFly-style, LTG? Don't spoil it by telling us what year this is going to happen. And throw away that sports almanac. No good can come of it.

I was puzzling over what you meant until I saw what a lash up I had made of entering the name Marinello.

PS I have edited the original nonsense

Post #509285  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I was puzzling over what you meant until I saw what a lash up I had made of entering the name Marinello.

It’s the spell checker. The first time I wrote Marinello this morning it changed it to Martinelli. I edited it before anyone noticed.

Post #509286  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:36 am 

I was thinking back to spurs beating city and how they basically got smashed that day but somehow through grit and good fortune, and taking the two half chances that came their way managed to win.

I can’t recall the last time we had such a game, especially against a top team. Generally Liverpool and city dominate us from the first minute and everything seems so inevitable, we’re just waiting for the first goal which will signal our defeat, the only question is by how many.

The closest I can think off the top of my head is Leeds at home where we really should have been 3 or 4-0 down at half time. But we were quite dominant second half. I can’t think of a game where we’ve been dominated for 90 but still burgle a win. Sadly I can think of plenty examples the other way round.

Post #509287  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It’s the spell checker. The first time I wrote Marinello this morning it changed it to Martinelli. I edited it before anyone noticed.

Ah. Thanks for that. Just realised that it was a quarter final rather than a semi final. I really believed that we could win that cup at the time.

Post #509288  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 am 

The more I look at our team the more I realise that we are now a million miles away from being contenders.

If you want to contend you need top players in almost every position and decent quality cover as well.

I would say the only top players we have are Leno (possibly) and Aubameyang. Saka, Martinelli and some of the other kids are very promising but still have a lot to learn.

Our midfield is a complete disaster. I don't think either Xhaka or Torreira are the level we need and I am not even convinced by Guendouzi anymore, he's good on the ball but lacks so much in terms of of his positional play, physicality and defensive awareness. He's still young with time to develop but he needs hours and hours of work on the training ground.

Pépé, for all his fancy footwork and drops of the shoulder appears to lack an end product.

The only way we get out of this mess is with some incredible scouting, picking up bright young things at the beginning of their careers, or through splurging on some of the top talents around who are not already at big clubs and hoping we get it right.

Relying on Raul Sanllelli's contact book does not seem to me to be the way to go.

Despite the arrival of Arteta I am probably as pessimistic about our situation as I have ever been because there is just so much work to do and it will take years to turn things around. It will also require some quite brutal decisions to me made about certain players who are simply not at the level we require and I am not sure we have the willingness to do that or even the nous or business acumen to be able to get rid of them for decent prices in the way other clubs seem to. I am not sure we have the ambition to spend what is required and I am not even sure if we fall out of european competition (which looks increasingly likely) what kind of transfer budget we will have in the summer anyway.

Who would have thought after building such a great new stadium with all the financial benefits it brings that we would find ourselves in such a mess.

Post #509289  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:16 am 

socrates wrote:
The more I look at our team the more I realise that we are now a million miles away from being contenders.

If you want to contend you need top players in almost every position and decent quality cover as well.

I would say the only top players we have are Leno (possibly) and Aubameyang. Saka, Martinelli and some of the other kids are very promising but still have a lot to learn.

Our midfield is a complete disaster. I don't think either Xhaka or Torreira are the level we need and I am not even convinced by Guendouzi anymore, he's good on the ball but lacks so much in terms of of his positional play, physicality and defensive awareness. He's still young with time to develop but he needs hours and hours of work on the training ground.

Pépé, for all his fancy footwork and drops of the shoulder appears to lack an end product.

The only way we get out of this mess is with some incredible scouting, picking up bright young things at the beginning of their careers, or through splurging on some of the top talents around who are not already at big clubs and hoping we get it right.

Relying on Raul Sanllelli's contact book does not seem to me to be the way to go.

Despite the arrival of Arteta I am probably as pessimistic about our situation as I have ever been because there is just so much work to do and it will take years to turn things around. It will also require some quite brutal decisions to me made about certain players who are simply not at the level we require and I am not sure we have the willingness to do that or even the nous or business acumen to be able to get rid of them for decent prices in the way other clubs seem to. I am not sure we have the ambition to spend what is required and I am not even sure if we fall out of european competition (which looks increasingly likely) what kind of transfer budget we will have in the summer anyway.

Who would have thought after building such a great new stadium with all the financial benefits it brings that we would find ourselves in such a mess.

this post resonates Soc.

Gaz said something earlier about us regressing since fabregas left. I kind of understood and agreed with it. Whilst we have more money to spend these days than that period our focus and drive seem to have long since left.

The only way out of this is exceptional recruitment not executive relationships. Look at the liverpool team, how many of those players would have been on the radar of the super agents. Their recruitment has been exceptional, they sought players with the right qualities and brought them in.

Imagine letting Cazorla, Ramsey, OX and Jack go and replacing them with Xhaka and Guendouzi. Just ludicrous. Imagine not exercising the buyback on Cesc because we had Özil then paying Özil more than twice the weekly 156k wage cesc was on at chelsea. I know who i would rather have chose.

I look at this now and think this is years of rebuilding in the making and I seriously doubt the credentials of the people being tasked to do it to. Imagine longing for Hillwood and Dein however you'd take them in a heartbeat right now.

Post #509290  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:08 pm 

Interesting analysis of the Torreira and Guendouzi situation

http://24sportshqip.com/arsenal/2020/02 ... eira-role/

Post #509291  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

You have to appreciate the honesty from Arteta, he makes no attempt to try and show the situations for anything apart from what they are

“I was very disappointed with how we started the second half,” Arteta said in his post-match press conference.

“The first 15-20 minutes we could not control any aspect of the game and we allowed a lot of crosses and second balls inside our box and some would say we were lucky not to concede a goal.”

He’s nothing if not honest, Arsene would have blamed the ref

Post #509292  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
You have to appreciate the honesty from Arteta, he makes no attempt to try and show the situations for anything apart from what they are

“I was very disappointed with how we started the second half,” Arteta said in his post-match press conference.

“The first 15-20 minutes we could not control any aspect of the game and we allowed a lot of crosses and second balls inside our box and some would say we were lucky not to concede a goal.”

Let’s hope that he has a plan to rectify the situation, and that he is enabled to effect the necessary changes.

Post #509293  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
3 supposedly easy home games coming up. We need to take maximum points from these. I feel our confidence as a team is low right now. Arteta magic for 9 points?

Well there is that one EL away match to Olympiacos thrown in 4 days after we play Newcastle. The 2 week Winter break may ease any knackered players.

Post #509294  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:46 pm 

Zed wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
3 supposedly easy home games coming up. We need to take maximum points from these. I feel our confidence as a team is low right now. Arteta magic for 9 points?

Well there is that one EL away match to Olympiacos thrown in 4 days after we play Newcastle. The 2 week Winter break may ease any knackered players.

Since we've only won 6 league games all season, I think it's highly unlikely we'll win all three 'easy home games', whether our players are knackered or not.

Post #509295  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:04 pm 

3 in a row :laughing7:

It’s more likely the dinosaurs will Rule the earth again before that happens again.

Love the optimism though

At this point we’d literally be better off playing allardyce type long ball and bypassing the midfield. At least we would be able to win the second ball

Post #509296  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 pm 

Any sign of bubblechris? I gave him a bit of a lecture as I think he took his disagreement with Top Gun way too far. But I hope he returns to the forum soon.

Post #509297  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Any sign of bubblechris? I gave him a bit of a lecture as I think he took his disagreement with Top Gun way too far. But I hope he returns to the forum soon.

I agree,

I don’t care about the death threats anyway. He’s about as intimidating as a packet of Tesco Everyday Value frozen Beef Burgers.

Happy to extend the hand of truce or parley. Increase the peace, that’s my motto.

Post #509298  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 pm 

When Wenger sold RVP to Man U I wrote on this forum I would never see a title again in my lifetime. I have seen nothing to change my views.

To give people some hope I am 63yo in good health so your guess is as good as mine as to when that could be.

Post #509299  Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
When Wenger sold RVP to Man U I wrote on this forum I would never see a title again in my lifetime. I have seen nothing to change my views.

To give people some hope I am 63yo in good health so your guess is as good as mine as to when that could be.

Your wrote earlier something like Fabregas leaving was the downwards spiral.

I agree , for me that also seemed just so regressive. It was the poignant moment in our decline. I even recall the post match interview with Cesc when he’d given 100% and you could tell he’d had enough and wouldn’t take anymore. When Robin left it was just resignation for me at that point.

Post #509300  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Ah, that dreaded name appears in the forum again :42laughter: He might be secretly "coaching" Arteta on tactics. After all, Arteta used to be his Captain.

Post #509301  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm with you on this one. We were not able to keep our top & key players because we had no ambition as a club. RVP & Cesc were top class players.

Post #509302  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I agree , for me that also seemed just so regressive. It was the poignant moment in our decline. I even recall the post match interview with Cesc when he’d given 100% and you could tell he’d had enough and wouldn’t take anymore. When Robin left it was just resignation for me at that point.

For me when we sold RVP that was the end. But looking back Cesc just couldn't buy in any more to Wengers dreams (and I suspect promises of good signings) and that is when the decline really commenced for me. It is always good to look back and review what happened. There was a bit of hope with Alexis for me but it was still a slide.

Post #509303  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 am 

Rush Limbaugh getting the Medal of Freedom is akin to Goebbels getting the Iron Cross.

Post #509304  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

For me when we sold RVP that was the end. But looking back Cesc just couldn't buy in any more to Wengers dreams (and I suspect promises of good signings) and that is when the decline really commenced for me. It is always good to look back and review what happened. There was a bit of hope with Alexis for me but it was still a slide.

I would love to see us rebuilding the attack with Martinelli, Nketiah, Pépé... sell Aubameyang and Lacazette and re-invest in midfield and defence.

Post #509305  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm with you on this one. We were not able to keep our top & key players because we had no ambition as a club. RVP & Cesc were top class players.

People drone on about this player or that. At the end of the day, it isn’t the big issue. It is the ownership of the club that is and influences everything else. Wilts no longer posts here, but he was right. The main step is getting rid of Stan, not releasing or signing player A or B.

Post #509306  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

People drone on about this player or that. At the end of the day, it isn’t the big issue. It is the ownership of the club that is and influences everything else. Wilts no longer posts here, but he was right. The main step is getting rid of Stan, not releasing or signing player A or B.

Bernard when I am having a down day and think about Arsenal I look at Huddersfield, Preston NE, Newcastle, Derby and similar clubs and think they had their day in the sun - look where they are now. With the current owners we may be joining them. 20 years for Liverpool to win a title - how long do you think it will take us.

Post #509307  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 am 

Bernard wrote:

I didn't realise I'd flounced. I ain't going nowhere but my response to TG vanished and I haven't seen your response Bernard.

I made no threats other than to TG if and only if he didn't stop calling me a racist.

Post #509308  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:21 am 

Checked back again. Still missing as is your response Bernard.

Post #509309  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:01 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I would love to see us rebuilding the attack with Martinelli, Nketiah, Pépé... sell Aubameyang and Lacazette and re-invest in midfield and defence.

Agree totally with you. I feel that both Aubameyang and Lacazette has lost interest in Arsenal. Those half-hearted attempts at goal are not coincidences. And I am tired to see Lacazette curled up in a ball whenever he is fouled. His theatrics reminds me of Giroud.
Hmm ... both French.

Post #509310  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Agree totally with you. I feel that both Aubameyang and Lacazette has lost interest in Arsenal. Those half-hearted attempts at goal are not coincidences. And I am tired to see Lacazette curled up in a ball whenever he is fouled. His theatrics reminds me of Giroud.
Hmm ... both French.

Whats your thoughts on Xhaka and Torriera? I feel that Xhaka makes us unbalanced. He is pretty slow and all the time when Guendouzi is playing he has to drop back and get the ball from the keeper. He should be breaking upfield to open up forward passes. But Xhaka's weakness means they do not trust him to get the ball first. His thought process is slow.

When torriera plays it often gets very ugly with balls distributed by the keeper to either of them. Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder. I know they don't grow on trees but everything gets bogged down after the keeper gets the ball. If he belts it up the field we don't seem to have any ability to win it - Guendouzi is a poor header, Torriera is too short and Özil and Wilock seem incapable of getting it. If the ball starts coming straight back at them it is easy to get around Xhaka with any player with speed.

Then the keeper plays it short to luis, Guendouzi or Xhaka - the first two are slow and easier to shut down. Luis and Xhaka will pass the ball to anyone including many players in a worse position. It happened with luis a number of times against Burnley. I think overall others have to cover for Xhaka's weaknesses and often provide additional cover - this means the go forward in the team is terrible in the midfield.

Post #509311  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:29 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I didn't realise I'd flounced. I ain't going nowhere but my response to TG vanished and I haven't seen your response Bernard.

I made no threats other than to TG if and only if he didn't stop calling me a racist.

Good to see you back. I didn’t say you threatened him. But I took your post as you wanting him to pass away. Perhaps I was reading too much into it.

Has Top Gun called you a racist? If so he shouldn’t as there’s no evidence I’ve ever seen of it. But I wouldn’t. Brexit ended up boring me stiff and I barely glanced over many of the posts about it. What I will say is that not everyone, by a huge margin, who supported Brexit was a racist. Seriously, was Old Man of Hoy a racist? No chance whatsoever.

I’m not saying none of those who favoured Brexit weren’t racists. Some probably were, but I’ve little doubt some who opposed Brexit could be called racist as well even if it was a smaller number. Supporting Brexit does not automatically mean someone is a racist and does make him or her a racist either.

Let me clarify that this post says nothing about whether I supported or opposed Brexit. All I will say is that I ended up finding the endless debate and discussion about it so boring I largely lost interest in it.

Post #509312  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder.

I thought Torreira was supposed to be a defensive midfielder. If you think he needs one alongside him, you must presumably think he’s crap in that role.

Post #509313  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder.

I thought Torreira was supposed to be a defensive midfielder. If you think he needs one alongside him, you must presumably think he’s crap in that role.

It seems to me that any combination of Xhaka/Guendouzi and Torriera are just playing defensively or that is the way Arteta wants them to do it.

Post #509314  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:53 am 

Torreira is the best midfielder we have but he’s purely a defensive midfield enforcer so if you play either Guendouzi or Xhaka who definitely are not attack minded midfielders we are unable to get the ball into any attacking positions what so ever in most games. You need to play torreira with 2 creative midfielders to get the right balance.

May as well just get Leno to punt the ball at Aubameyangs head to try and get a knock down.

We need to get one of those Delap guys too that can lob the ball 50 yards from a throw in

Post #509315  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:07 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hmm ... both French.

I'm not questioning Aubameyang and Lacazette's motivation. I just think we need to make our midfield and defence stronger. Aubameyang and Lacazette not signing new contract it seems, so makes sense to me to sell them.

Post #509316  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm 

By the end of this month I think we'll see a more settled and effective side. The two new players will be a bit more settled, Ceballos should do well in Arteta's system. I think we will end the season visibly stronger.

Liverpool gnaws at me though. It will sadden me if/when they go unbeaten including the 49 unbeaten but if they do it will be fully deserved. We should have gotten Klopp. I recall a few naysayers on here about him. Water under the bridge I suppose.

Post #509317  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
By the end of this month I think we'll see a more settled and effective side. The two new players will be a bit more settled, Ceballos should do well in Arteta's system. I think we will end the season visibly stronger.

Liverpool gnaws at me though. It will sadden me if/when they go unbeaten including the 49 unbeaten but if they do it will be fully deserved. We should have gotten Klopp. I recall a few naysayers on here about him. Water under the bridge I suppose.

Who gives a toss about Liverpool. If they get the record and unbeaten season, so be it. They did us a massive favour by beating Tottenham in the CL final last year so I'm happy to trade.

We need to concentrate on getting our own house in order, never mind Liverpool. Get to the end of this car crash season without further damage and then give Arteta the summer to try and start making it "his" team. He can't wave a magic wand in 6 weeks and have us playing like the Scousers.

Post #509318  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Who gives a toss about Liverpool. If they get the record and unbeaten season, so be it. They did us a massive favour by beating Tottenham in the CL final last year so I'm happy to trade.

We need to concentrate on getting our own house in order, never mind Liverpool. Get to the end of this car crash season without further damage and then give Arteta the summer to try and start making it "his" team. He can't wave a magic wand in 6 weeks and have us playing like the Scousers.

Top post. :58big-emoticons:

Post #509319  Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm 

Yet another dive by Son.

He is a cheating so and so.

Post #509320  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:11 am 

tomc wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I do obviously. I cherished our record. The club has its own problems but as fans, we can multi task our concerns.
As for Arteta, we've seen changes just in the short time. From to we have seen so far, I don't think its unreasonable to expect improvements.

C'mon tomc, have faith. :icon_mrgreen:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12730, 12731, 12732, 12733, 12734, 12735, 12736 ... 14269  Next