Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #517281  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Can’t you take up sowing?

...wild oats?

Or knighting?

Post #517282  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Its football madness to expect Özil to close down and press - it is not what anybody expects him to bring to the team - he never did in his career before at other clubs. If defending is what Arteta wants most from Özil, then it is no surprise he leaves him out in the cold!

I saw a stat this morning that Arsenal run more kilometres per match than any other Premiership side. From memory Liverpool were second. I strongly suspect Arsenal’s kilometres run would be significantly less had Özil been in the team this season.

There’s nothing to stop skilful or creative players working hard. Ceballos, Saka and Willian all do. That’s one of the important reasons why, in my view, Özil clearly isn’t part of Arteta’s plans this season.

Actually Özil often used to be top or near the top of the 'km covered' stats, whether playing for us or Germany. So it isn't that.

Post #517283  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:11 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

...wild oats?

Or knighting?

....or croquet?

Post #517284  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
In 8 months time Özil, Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis will be out of contract.
I'm sure if we sweetened the deal and offered Özil a bigger pay packet, he'd be willing to stay on, no ?

Post #517285  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:04 pm 

So Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for Covid19! :sad4:
He seems fine so far. This pandemic keeps reminding you it respects no one.

PS Send a doctor over to check on Mustafi, please.

Post #517286  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:43 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for Covid19! :sad4:
He seems fine so far. This pandemic keeps reminding you it respects no one.

PS Send a doctor over to check on Mustafi, please.

The implication from that is sick. You should feel ashamed of yourself.

Post #517287  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:19 pm 

Eddie misses a pen then scores a lovely goal England U21s 2 - Turkey 0

Post #517288  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:07 am 

Watching Chile Columbia live and you have to say the drama and niggle in South American qualifiers is always fun to watch.

Post #517289  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:57 am 

Rich wrote:
In 8 months time Özil, Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis will be out of contract.

:7laughter:

Post #517290  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 am 

So, I just read that the reason we aren't playing Özil at all is to save money on appearance and performance goals add ons. The Arsenal are a slick operation.

Post #517291  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 am 

bubblechris wrote:
I'm surprised that you and AG are still on the forum because all you do is ruin the pleasure that the late Steve Glenbervie put his heart and soul into.

I’ve no idea if you already aree, but if you’re not I’ve little doubt that’ll get you blocked by our friend from across the Atlantic as soon as he sees it.

Post #517292  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:02 am 

eery

Attachments:

Post #517293  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 am 

DeBruyne being out is a big help. I hate that Tierney is out. I want to be at full strength defensively and not having, without question, the best LB since turncoat Cole is a big set back.
I'd love to leave with a draw. Doable. If we can somehow manage a goal first and open up some space between van Dijk and keeper for Aubameyang when they press for an equalizer, to run at, that would be great as well.

Post #517294  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DeBruyne being out is a big help. I hate that Tierney is out. I want to be at full strength defensively and not having, without question, the best LB since turncoat Cole is a big set back.
I'd love to leave with a draw. Doable. If we can somehow manage a goal first and open up some space between van Dijk and keeper for Aubameyang when they press for an equalizer, to run at, that would be great as well.

We’re playing Manchester City; van Dijk plays for Liverpool.

Post #517295  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 am 

Bernard wrote:

:2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter: :2laughter:

Post #517296  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:26 am 

So Eddie has become the record goal scorer for England at U21 level with 14 goals in 12 appearances. Whatever one's view on him as a player at Arsenal, that's a mighty impressive record. He takes over from Shearer who got 13 in 11, and Jeffers with 13 in 16 games.

I know everyone will point at Jeffers' failure with us but he was absolutely dogged with injury and he was competing for a place with TH14 and Wiltord. On the other hand, Shearer didn't do badly.

I personally have high hopes for Eddie.

Post #517297  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well, no-one's perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I remember a forumite posting that Willock is a 'fox in the box', which was even more baffling. Hang on, that was AG as well.

Post #517298  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DeBruyne being out is a big help.

Is De Bruyne definitely ruled out? I read he'd returned to the club from international duty and was 'a doubt'. Which whenever that occurs for a player about to face Arsenal means he will turn up fit as a fiddle.

Post #517299  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:47 pm 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-debruyne-injury-arsenal-19095481

Post #517300  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:50 pm 

Jeffers, our reputed 'fox in the box' didn't work out, as DHD said, due to injuries so we will never really know how he would have done. I recall a match he got sent off and Wenger seemed to be cold towards him since, despite the injuries.

Post #517301  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 pm 

A trip down memory lane has me thinking of some 'what ifs'

Eduardo. The injury killed his Arsenal career. I really liked him and thought had the injury not happened he'd have had a pretty decent career with us.

Rosicky. Like Jeffers, if only he didn't have recurring injuries.

Santi. Must be the water in London because he recuperated pretty quickly back in Spain. Who was taller, him or Arshavin? :icon_mrgreen:

Diarra. We went from starting the season with perhaps the best defensive midfielders as a collective we've had in years to ending the season scrambling to hold on to one.

RvP Had he stayed healthy his whole career, I think we'd be talking about him being near or catching Henry's record.

Henry. Arguably the best PL striker (Arguero and Rooney might disagree) ever and had he not gone to Barca lord know how many goals and assists he'd have amass.

Cole. Left in his prime. Legendary status certainly to come. Had he stayed, I envision arguments between forumites about who was better, him or Sansom.

Anelka. Could we have had 2 players with 200+ goals each playing on the same squad?

Post #517302  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 pm 

Hmm...you're right. Not certain. And its just like Pep to have that story out there to change our XI.

Post #517303  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Well, no-one's perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I remember a forumite posting that Willock is a 'fox in the box', which was even more baffling. Hang on, that was AG as well.

I wasn’t sure about bubblechris. But I’m pretty sure you are already blocked.

Post #517304  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm 

Seems we got even an better deal with Gabriel that was known prior. Our payments are spread over a few years. Edu is doing a bang up job. I wonder if he grew into the role or he was hired because he had shown some skill for the job?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/14/edus-done-it-again-sensational-some-arsenal-fans-buzzing-after-transfer-details-emerge/

Post #517305  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:49 pm 

I don't believe this reason for a second. It's a very convenient reason but I suspect its the reason Anelka, and similar other players weren't welcomed back. If you push to leave when you are needed, you can't come back. This time, I didn't want him back. (Anelka I did). A lot of cheek van Persie has to ask for a return.
You helped our hated rivals win a title after you spent your years here injured and we stood by you. F off.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/arsenal-news-arsene-wenger-robin-van-persie-man-utd-13419650/?ito=newsnow-feed

‘My relationship with Alex Ferguson and Manchester United had improved by then, but every transfer is a polite game of poker where you attempt to give not anything away. ‘Van Persie had a fantastic first six months at Old Trafford: he put the team on track for the Premiership title and made it even more difficult for us. But after three years of the four that he signed for, he was injured and Ferguson (sic) sold him to the Turkish club Fenerbahce. ‘He called me because he wanted to come back, but it was impossible: he was at the end of his career and we were investing in young players.’

Post #517306  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm 

Ainsley starting and Saka on the bench for England tonight.

Post #517307  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

AMN subbed off after 30 mins - sacrificed because Harry Maguire got himself sent off, buffoon!

Post #517308  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

AMN subbed off after 30 mins - sacrificed because Harry Maguire got himself sent off, buffoon!

Maguire must be the worst 80 million quid ever spent.

Post #517309  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Most expensive defender in the world. Mad. English + Leicester player = absurd transfer fee.

Man U have spent some crazy money on ordinary players in recent years.

Post #517310  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

I said so at the time, but I wouldn't have signed him for 25m. Leicester was the absolute peak of what he was capable of, but he gets all these extra points for being English and thus being perceived as having "the right mentality" or something dumb like that. Just a terribly mediocre defender, and it didn't weaken Leicester one bit to lose him.

Post #517311  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am 

The England team were the more attacking side and after the sending off in one of the first few Danish attacks they give up a penalty.
England didn't seem to have anyone who could score after the final pass. Weak shots, etc.

Post #517312  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I wasn’t sure about bubblechris. But I’m pretty sure you are already blocked.

Yes, I think I am blocked, Bernard, but I'm not 100 per cent sure. It'd be helpful if AG provided us with the complete list of his blockees.

Post #517313  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:17 am 

I didn’t watch a single second of the England vs Denmark match. How did AMN play before he was taken off?

Look, I rate AMN and am glad he stayed, but if he’s now a full England international it just shows how much easier it is to win England caps these days. George Armstrong and Peter Simpson didn’t win a single cap between them. And now AMN has, I find it amazing.

Rob Holding is now 25 and as far as I’m aware, still hasn’t won a cap. Considering England’s alleged problems in central defence, if I’m right and he hasn’t does that raise the question ‘how bad must Holding be not to have won an England cap’?

Post #517314  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
I didn’t watch a single second of the England vs Denmark match. How did AMN play before he was taken off?

Look, I rate AMN and am glad he stayed, but if he’s now a full England international it just shows how much easier it is to win England caps these days. George Armstrong and Peter Simpson didn’t win a single cap between them. And now AMN has, I find it amazing.

Rob Holding is now 25 and as far as I’m aware, still hasn’t won a cap. Considering England’s alleged problems in central defence, if I’m right and he hasn’t does that raise the question ‘how bad must Holding be not to have won an England cap’?

Chambers and Jenkinson also have England caps. It's a funny old world.

Post #517315  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Chambers and Jenkinson also have England caps. It's a funny old world.

Good point. I’d forgotten them.

Post #517316  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 am 

Bernard wrote:

Much tougher back then. Fewer games and no substitutes.

Now caps get given out for just a tiny bit of contribution.

Post #517317  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm 

Interesting that after Maguire's latest terrible display to gauge the general reaction in the media vs someone like Luiz when he has a bad game. After getting through the basics of Maguire didn't play well, was clumsy etc there has been general sympathy from the media calls for him to be given a break, taken out of the limelight, there's still a top player in there, feel sorry for him. I get that some of that is down to the incident in Greece - but that is his own fault he was caught up in that. Yet someone like Luiz (and there are plenty other non Arsenal player - Pogba for example) tend to get it with both barrels whenever they play badly or make a mistake, there is no mitigation or feeling sorry for them - but good old english slabhead CB Maguire is treated differently.
The media will have their heroes and villians and no matter what happens the narrative is already written. How many articles or even comment was made about Luiz at the back end of last season, having fantastic games in the cup run and being a true leader and mentor for so many young Arsenal players? Most tended to focus on that 1st game back v City and that his contract was extended by another year. I'd wager Maguire has been directly at fault for more goals than Luiz since he signed for Man U.......and he cost £79m more!

Post #517318  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm 

The future appears to be a Saliba/Gabriel partnership. Until both are fully ready, Luiz is needed. If I could only keep one defender of the ones we currently have on the books it would be Luiz for a myriad of reasons.

Arsenal fans are tough on him and others. I certainly have been very tough on one of our defenders in particular. :icon_mrgreen:

Luiz was always a stop gap till we could get the defense Arteta wants.

Post #517319  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 am 

Hi Kiwipete, have not heard from you for a while now. Hope everything is well with you.

Post #517320  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 am 

To borrow one of your Brit terms. Arteta must be 'taking the piss' lol
The 17 foreign players rule thing I was not aware of so it makes sense to some extent but clearly Özil is good enough to be one of the 17. Sokratis is off it which is reasonable. I wouldn't be shocked to see him off in January (or is that window still in effect?) if we get a chance to off load him. At this point, I'm resigned to have Mustafi for a while. I was also surprised of reports that Saliba wasn't as developed as a defender as we have previously thought.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-22854605

Arsenal have 19 foreign players - two more than selection guidelines will allow.

With time running out on his deal and little chance of playing, it would appear Özil's career at the Emirates is over.

But Arteta has thrown the 32-year-old a lifeline, telling him to keep working hard in case an opening appears.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12930, 12931, 12932, 12933, 12934, 12935, 12936 ... 14269  Next