Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, warrior and 144 guests

Post #512441  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 am 

david.d wrote:
Morning forum
Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.
Have to say getting a bit worried about these Tierney rumours to Leicester.
Yes he hasn't had the best of starts injury wise but goodness me he looks a player in the few appearances he made.
I'm thinking this is nothing but paper crap because arteta himself has gone on record as saying he will bring something special to the team.
That doesn't strike me as someone we are looking to get our money back on. Surely not???
However the ineptitude we have shown in recent times with poor transfers and decision making in relation to letting players leave for free AND the current financial Climate means anything is possible.
Tierney has to be given a proper run in the team and will prove to be an excellent signing.
Interested to hear what you guys think?
Do you think it is just rubbish paper talk and would you be sorry to see him go??

Morning David
I would be sorry to see him leave before he's really got started David. I'm sure he could be an excellent player for us. A lot could depend on the Saka situation but I certainly hope we keep them both. Full backs are very important in Pep's City team so I imagine they'd be a priority for Mikel too.

Post #512442  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:33 am 

david.d wrote:
Agree with Darren and Tom.
I think Eddie needs to be trusted and was very surprised with the faith arteta has shown in him.
Really hope he continues to justify the faith shown in him. Have a soft spot for him being a fellow Ghanaian too.
We have the makings of some great strikers coming through with Martinelli too and I pray Balogun is someone arteta wants to give chances to.
I would be happy to trust these 3 if we sold Aubameyang and Lacs.

Agree Eddie showed enough earlier in the season to earn a place in the squad, personally I really like him, he's a natural finisher. I think losing both our experienced strikers would hurt us though. In that scenario we'd need at least one proven replacement. It will be an interesting summer window seeing exactly how the pandemic has affected the transfer market. Either way, unless we manage to extend Aubameyangs contract he has to be sold.

Post #512443  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:37 am 

With all the rumors of players coming and going, quality players at that, our ruin, one of a few will be an unsettled squad. Players need to work together as a unit. I remember Ranieri when he was at Chelsea saying the problem he is having is basically too many new players who do not know how to play together yet. He said 'Henry knows what Peres will do and Peres knows what Henry will do' or something to that effect.

Post #512444  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Morning forum
Yes he hasn't had the best of starts injury wise but goodness me he looks a player in the few appearances he made.
I'm thinking this is nothing but paper crap because arteta himself has gone on record as saying he will bring something special to the team.
That doesn't strike me as someone we are looking to get our money back on. Surely not???
However the ineptitude we have shown in recent times with poor transfers and decision making in relation to letting players leave for free AND the current financial Climate means anything is possible.
Tierney has to be given a proper run in the team and will prove to be an excellent signing.
Do you think it is just rubbish paper talk and would you be sorry to see him go??

Morning David
I would be sorry to see him leave before he's really got started David. I'm sure he could be an excellent player for us. A lot could depend on the Saka situation but I certainly hope we keep them both. Full backs are very important in Pep's City team so I imagine they'd be a priority for Mikel too.

I initially wondered why Leicester would want Tierney when they already have Chilwell. But then I saw that Chelsea want Chilwell which has made him hand in a transfer request. If true it may explain Leicester’s interest in Tierney.

But like you two I wouldn’t favour us selling Tierney. I accept his injury record so far has came close to justifying the opposition by Gaz from Oz to signing him. He has only started four Premier League games this season, after all. However, I would still like to see Tierney given at least next season to see if his injury record improves to an acceptable level as on the rare occasions he did play, he looked pretty good.

I know Saka played at left back in some games, but I would prefer him to be used further forward as I didn’t think he looked that accomplished when defending. Call me a traditionalist or stuck in the past if you like, but I do prefer our full backs to be good defenders.

Is there a possibility that Arteta, on the advice of Arsenal’s medical team, has lost confidence that Tierney will get over his injury problems? If so, that could be a reason why we’d let him go. But without inside info like that, my own vote would be to hang on to him for another season at the very least.

Post #512445  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Morning forum

Morning David

Agreed Brom
I can't see Saka signing a new contract if he continues to be played at left back.
Funnily enough I can see kolasinac being moved on seeing as we got him on a free.
Really want Tierney made first choice

Post #512446  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Morning David

I initially wondered why Leicester would want Tierney when they already have Chilwell. But then I saw that Chelsea want Chilwell which has made him hand in a transfer request. If true it may explain Leicester’s interest in Tierney.

But like you two I wouldn’t favour us selling Tierney. I accept his injury record so far has came close to justifying the opposition by Gaz from Oz to signing him. He has only started four Premier League games this season, after all. However, I would still like to see Tierney given at least next season to see if his injury record improves to an acceptable level as on the rare occasions he did play, he looked pretty good.

I know Saka played at left back in some games, but I would prefer him to be used further forward as I didn’t think he looked that accomplished when defending. Call me a traditionalist or stuck in the past if you like, but I do prefer our full backs to be good defenders.

Is there a possibility that Arteta, on the advice of Arsenal’s medical team, has lost confidence that Tierney will get over his injury problems? If so, that could be a reason why we’d let him go. But without inside info like that, my own vote would be to hang on to him for another season at the very least.

Hi Bernard
That's my nagging doubt that this story has legs.
Tierney injury record.
But as you say they have to give him a chance.
Not good news if chilwell has handed in a request to leave

Post #512447  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Agree with Darren and Tom.
I think Eddie needs to be trusted and was very surprised with the faith arteta has shown in him.
Really hope he continues to justify the faith shown in him. Have a soft spot for him being a fellow Ghanaian too.
We have the makings of some great strikers coming through with Martinelli too and I pray Balogun is someone arteta wants to give chances to.
I would be happy to trust these 3 if we sold Aubameyang and Lacs.

Agree Eddie showed enough earlier in the season to earn a place in the squad, personally I really like him, he's a natural finisher. I think losing both our experienced strikers would hurt us though. In that scenario we'd need at least one proven replacement. It will be an interesting summer window seeing exactly how the pandemic has affected the transfer market. Either way, unless we manage to extend Aubameyangs contract he has to be sold.

Agreed Brom
We have to sell Aubameyang and reinvest in the squad

Post #512448  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:55 pm 

Interesting things you didn't know was going on at the time.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/tony-ada ... -12803293/
Tony Adams admits he and Lauren ‘didn’t like’ each other at Arsenal

Post #512449  Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:28 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Very well said OMOH. But shouldn't the same comment on essence apply to the present Government's handling of Covid 19?
For sure no government anywhere is finding it straightforward to manage Covid-19, because, dare we say it, it is not easy. I know you don't think it is a government responsibility, but at the risk of being a bone-chewer, to my mind what is unforgiveable was the lack of emergency planning for the pandemic by UK governments over the past decade or so. This hugely undermined the government's response, which was then compunded by dilatory decision-making in the critical early weeks, and mixed messages ever since. While the final outcome of Brexit remains debateable, there was never any doubt we would be hit by Covid-19. We are right to have expected better from our politicians.

Post #512450  Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:34 am 

Some may say 'It's only Charlton', but you can only scrimmage who is in front of you and at this point, any win helps builds confidence.

Post #512451  Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:58 am 

Get ban idea of what it's like to watch us live at an empty Emirates.

We played a Friendly against Charlton. Some lovely goals and a great performance from Maitland-Niles.

It's on arsenal.com enjoy.....................

Starting XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles; Nelson, Özil, Aubameyang; Lacazette :22encouragement: :22encouragement:

Post #512452  Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:27 am 

Really unclear how the summer transfer window will play out. Chelsea seem to be ready to spend but have a couple of windows of being banned from spending. Man U and City will spend but I think everyone else will be looking at cost cutting, loans, swaps etc.
For us I would assume we make the Mari and Cédric deals permanent and obviously Saliba comes back. Luiz could be offered a new 1 year deal. Then we would have more than enough in terms of numbers in defence but the quality needs improving.
Central midfield is the area I'd be looking to do any spending we can do. A defensive minded player and a creative player are needed. Cellabos needs replacing as I don't think we can make that deal permanent.
Up front and wide we have the numbers and quality but there are question marks over the future of Lacazette and Aubamayang.

One move that has been mooted and would be perfect would be a swap of Lacazette for Partey. Nketiah would take Lacazette's role in the squad, with perhaps Balogun/John-Jules taking Nketiah's spot. There has always been a sense that we were top heavy with two strikers as our best players in a single striker system. Partey looks like the complete modern day central midfielder.

Possibly some shuffling in central defence where 2 leave and 1 comes in. Perhaps raising some extra money from Elneny and Mkhitaryan.

I'm hopeful with Arteta having more time to work with the squad and younger players like Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe all gaining experience that we can be a much better team next year even with only minor additions - which seems more likely than wholesale changes.

Post #512453  Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:59 am 

I forgot Elneny and Mkhitaryan were still on the books. Get rid of post haste. Throw in Mustafi as a bonus.
I would rather keep Aubameyang if we can. I'd prefer selling Lacazette if we have to sell one of the two.
Our priority should be the back line and defensive midfield. We have enough creative quality and attacking quality to get a couple goals a match. The Maginot line defended better than us.

Post #512454  Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:51 pm 

Strong rumours of Partey joining us. Looks the part of a strong midfield enforcer we've been missing since Vieira left. AMN in our midfield is also an interesting development.

Post #512455  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am 

We haven't had a player like Partey with his specific skillset in a while.

Post #512456  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am 

Goonie wrote:
Strong rumours of Partey joining us. Looks the part of a strong midfield enforcer we've been missing since Vieira left. AMN in our midfield is also an interesting development.

Unless I’m missing something (entirely possible), all I’ve seen this morning is that one of Partey’s international team mates is urging him to join us. Doesn’t sound an awful lot to me. Yesterday the evidence that he’d be joining us seemed to be little more than reports that he’s open to playing in the Premier League. Fine, but Arsenal aren’t the only members of the Premier League and there are bigger, richer and more successful clubs than us as well.

From what I’ve heard of Partey, I hope we get him as he sounds a kind of midfielder we could do with. But from what I’ve read, the likelihood of him coming to us sounds much less than, for example, the prospects of Werner going to Chelsea. Anyway, I suggest the huge majority of transfer rumours are garbage based on little more than the imagination of journalists trying to get people reading reports. Accuracy seems a lesser priority from what I‘ve seen over many years.

If I am trying to be positive about our chances of getting Partey, it’s if Atletico still want Lacazette. If that’s the case, maybe both clubs would be willing to get some sort of exchange between the two players over the line. I’ve got a feeling Rich implied this quite recently.

However, a negative side to this idea is that swap deals are inevitably more complicated to complete. Instead of the buying club getting their financial offer for someone accepted by the selling club and then agreeing terms with the player involved, there is this complication. The two clubs have to reach agreement over the fiscal value of two players rather than just one, with one club paying another more if they can’t agree they’re worth exactly the same. Both players will then have to agree terms with the clubs they are joining, rather than only one having to agree terms with a new club.

As I say, I hope Partey does join us. But from what I’m reading, it’s way too early to get all that excited about the transfer yet.

Post #512457  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:56 pm 

Darren wrote:
DHD wrote:
Is anyone else getting seriously worried at the increasingly extreme, reactionary and downright bizarre actions of POTUS? Does anybody believe or trust him?

Is anybody getting seriously angry at the way Boris and his cronies are treating us like serfs with their lies, damn lies and statistics? Does anybody believe or trust them?

Trump is clearly displaying fascistic traits now. A revolting narcissist who needs to be removed from office.

F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics .... my brother who thankfuully I see once a year spends 24/7 in the same mode

Trump ......... apparently killed both Kennedy's , Luther King , Marilyn Monroe , John Lennon , Jimmy Hoffa .and caused the 2008 financial crash

...... try reading a different news source .

Post #512458  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:43 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Darren wrote:
Trump is clearly displaying fascistic traits now. A revolting narcissist who needs to be removed from office.

F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics .... my brother who thankfuully I see once a year spends 24/7 in the same mode

Trump ......... apparently killed both Kennedy's , Luther King , Marilyn Monroe , John Lennon , Jimmy Hoffa .and caused the 2008 financial crash

kiwi has been away from the forum a bit lately because he was clearly busy taking a course on subtlety.

Post #512459  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Darren wrote:

I’ve recently spent time with a couple of people who have had direct dealings, both social and business, with Trump. They both said he was a dangerous narcissist, and one agreed that they thought he was sick. No “news source” required.

Post #512460  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I’ve recently spent time with a couple of people who have had direct dealings, both social and business, with Trump. They both said he was a dangerous narcissist, and one agreed that they thought he was sick. No “news source” required.

:laughing7: Wonderful ....... always helps to have a couple of anonymous sources to bolster your case .
.... yeah I had a couple of rums with Trey Gowdy a fortnight ago and he agrees Trump isn't the greatest dude on the planet ..... he also told me .........Hamstrung by the minefield of judges , mayors , governors , congressmen / women senators , the CIA , FBI , NSA , Secret Service , fifty states all marching to a different agenda . an avalanche of total b%*&s%*^ coming from CNN , BBC , MSBC , NBC , ABC it's a wonder he has achieved anything at all .

Post #512461  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

kiwi has been away from the forum a bit lately because he was clearly busy taking a course on subtlety.

:laughing7: :12hello-bye: too true Bernard , I guess old age , turned 75 couple of months back leads to this tendency to sugarcoat things , tone it down ..... not really tell it how it is .

Post corona ..... the Aussie Rugby league re -started a couple of weeks back .

No fans allowed but they came up with a novel scenario .....,"FANS IN THE STANDS " for $22 you can have a life sized cut out of yourself , your wife , your dog propped up on a seat , they have some taped subtle crowd noises .... quite good .

EDIT ...although having just checked ..... some turkeys paid for a cut out of Adolf Hitler and Harold Shipman which didn't go down to well .

Post #512462  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 am 

:15laughter: :bs:

Post #512463  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I understand he will have to resit the exam next week. But you have to admire 75 yo males putting themselves out there to challenge all and sundry. Even if they are talking total bollocks.

Post #512464  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 am 

We're being linked with some interesting people.
Thiago Silva, out of contract but at 35 he's past it. Not sure what his wage demands would be but if we got a bargain without sacrificing a younger, better player for the same position.
The Partey rumors grow stronger, could love for that to happen. Even if we have to sell one of our gems up front.
And Luca Jovic loan rumors...

Post #512465  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:laughing7: :12hello-bye: too true Bernard , I guess old age , turned 75 couple of months back leads to this tendency to sugarcoat things , tone it down ..... not really tell it how it is .

No fans allowed but they came up with a novel scenario .....,"FANS IN THE STANDS " for $22 you can have a life sized cut out of yourself , your wife , your dog propped up on a seat , they have some taped subtle crowd noises .... quite good .

EDIT ...although having just checked ..... some turkeys paid for a cut out of Adolf Hitler and Harold Shipman which didn't go down to well .

Phew. At least it was just Hitler and Shipman. Don't know if you've been following the UK news Kiwi, but it could have been worse. It could have been Churchill :8surprise: or God help us, Trump :8surprise:

Post #512466  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics ...

And you do? All I've ever seen you do on the subject is parrot right wing talking points, peddle conspiracy theories and yell about CNN. Guess what, it's not just CNN, it's trusted media from all over the world because it's not difficult to listen to what he says and then look at the actual facts, something you seem completely unwilling to do.

But by all means, have another drink and continue yelling at everyone who doesn't like fascism. Doesn't make you look at all like a demented bigot.

Post #512467  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 am 

Trump at least didn't murder Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in 1986. The police just presented their conclusion and closed the investigation, 34 years after the murder. This is really the weirdest year.

Post #512468  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Phew. At least it was just Hitler and Shipman. Don't know if you've been following the UK news Kiwi, but it could have been worse. It could have been Churchill :8surprise: or God help us, Trump :8surprise:

Fascinating idea though. Think of all the female fans who will be spending their £22 on life size cut outs of Joanne Dennehy, Beverley Allitt, Rose West or Myra Hindley. Up in Scotland I bet cut outs of Peter Tobin will be popular with male Celtic fans as he supported them (or ‘supports’ as he’s still alive). Think of the demand for Peter Sutcliffe cut outs with Leeds fans. Dale Cregan cut outs with Manchester United fans.

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.

Post #512469  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 am 

This may eclipse the Brexit debate in both severity and vitriol. :7laughter:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... rock-bands
The 10 worst albums by 10 brilliant classic rock bands

1. Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On...
2. Kiss - Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions
3. Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
4. Alice Cooper - Goes To Hell
5. Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
6. Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the film More
7. Jethro Tull - The Jethro Tull Christmas Album
8. Queen - Made In Heaven
9. Bob Seger - Noah
10. Eagles - On The Border

Post #512470  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Fascinating idea though. Think of all the female fans who will be spending their £22 on life size cut outs of Joanne Dennehy, Beverley Allitt, Rose West or Myra Hindley. Up in Scotland I bet cut outs of Peter Tobin will be popular with male Celtic fans as he supported them (or ‘supports’ as he’s still alive). Think of the demand for Peter Sutcliffe cut outs with Leeds fans. Dale Cregan cut outs with Manchester United fans.

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.

Wasn't Osama bin Laden a gooner?

Post #512471  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.
Frankie was never convicted of murder, although he was quoted as saying “It’s alleged I’ve killed 40 people and who am I to disagree with that? I’ve always said I like even numbers.”

Post #512472  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wasn't Osama bin Laden a gooner?

You’re right Bromley he was. Well remembered.

Post #512473  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal.

Stretching the point admittedly, but might our Sovereign Lady (may she sustain) have a few stiffs to answer for?

Post #512474  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.
Frankie was never convicted of murder, although he was quoted as saying “It’s alleged I’ve killed 40 people and who am I to disagree with that? I’ve always said I like even numbers.”

You’re correct he wasn’t actually committed of murder. But whether it was forty or not, I’d be very surprised if he didn’t do any.

Post #512475  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal.

Stretching the point admittedly, but might our Sovereign Lady (may she sustain) have a few stiffs to answer for?

Do you mean the Queen? If so, who are you suggesting she bumped off? Diana? Did the Queen hire Diana’s rat-arsed driver?

Post #512476  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:01 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1270 ... 00898?s=20

Pathetic.

Post #512477  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 pm 

Seems the late Fidel Castro was also an Arsenal fan.

Post #512478  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm 

Zed wrote:
Seems the late Fidel Castro was also an Arsenal fan.

Yes he was.

Post #512479  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:17 pm 

Didn't know we were playing Brentford. Took the lead twice but still lost 2-3. But it looked like Brentford goals came only after we made many subs - guess that affected the performance.

Post #512480  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Didn't know we were playing Brentford. Took the lead twice but still lost 2-3. But it looked like Brentford goals came only after we made many subs - guess that affected the performance.

Wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will start blaming Mustafi for conceding three against Brentford? If he does, perhaps you or someone else he hasn’t blocked could tell him we conceded all three goals after Mustafi went off. According to Arsenal.com Mustafi was substituted after 60 minutes. Brentford scored their first after about 70 minutes, which they followed up with a further two.

[ 571905 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12809, 12810, 12811, 12812, 12813, 12814, 12815 ... 14298  Next