Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #506641  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 am 

Attachments:

Post #506642  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 am 

Cleaned and coloured a bit Ex.

Attachment:

Post #506643  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:35 am 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Thank you Everton. Although at this point it looks like Chelsea will still take the 4th spot unless Tottenham or Man Utd can make a go of it.

I would prefer a Chelsea victory. We are in the relegation battle with Everton. :42laughter:

Yes gooner 7, bottom 4 is more likely than top 4.

Post #506644  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:37 am 

When interviewing next boss candidates what questions would you ask? I would ask ,how will you get the team back to winning ways, how will you get their confidence back, how will you improve the defence, who would you have as your no 2, who will be Captain, who do you want to sign, thats for starters .

Post #506645  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The bounce we didn't get with a new manager. Lets compare Everton and us.
Duncan Ferguson turns up for the team talk: " People used to say I was a hard man - but I am pretty easy to get along with if you win. So here is my team (throws team sheet on table) - I want you to remember I have your names and addresses and if you overpaid f...ers don't win, you will get a visit from me and same mates and you need to live in fear for the rest of your miserable lives." = Everton 3 Chelsea 1

Freddie: "I used to model underwear." = no wins in 2 games

:14laughter:

Post #506646  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am 

Rich wrote:
Watching Man u and spurs on MOTD, the pace and movement up top is frightening and exactly what we’re missing. Son is in the top 5 players in the league for me. Moura, Rashford, James, martial all electric. Then lingard and alli busying a guy to make runs beyond them.

Also clear how many shots they take, relatively selfish players who can hit clean shots with power and on target. You’d have thought that would be pretty simple for a professional footballer but I’d only back Aubameyang in our team to be able to do this. Even Lacazette has so many miss-hits or scuffs when he doesn’t quite catch it right

Everything we do is at half pace. I fundamentally dislike the profile of players we’ve been recruiting over the past 5 or so years.

Unfortunately, it is Özil who slows us down the most. In fact, all the time in the last couple seasons. He needs to caress the ball, look up, run formulas in his mind, then pass the ball on. By which time, either Lacazette or Aubameyang would have already drifted offside. Or, the opposition defence is already into double-layer. Freddie must be brave and drop him. While at it, drop Xhaka and Luiz too.

Post #506647  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:04 am 

Greeny wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Come on Freddie, sort out the defensive set-up already.

In the last post I mentioned Adams, etc., we also had Dixon and Winterburn, who had been bought cheaply from the lower leagues to replace our big stars at the time, Kenny Samson and Viv Anderson, so we don't necessarily have to spend huge amounts of money, it's the organisation.
Whether Freddie has the personality to do that, with the players at his disposal, that's the 2 questions.
Back-to-basics wouldn't be a bad idea.
Defending isn't difficult. You don't have to be super-talented. What you have to have is a plan, you have to stick to it, and you have to have players that will give you 100%. They have to stay in position, be disciplined, run back instead of jogging, and fight for the team.
It can be 3 or 4 or 5 at the back, just make sure they all know their part in the system.
Now here's the problem.
Freddie doesn't appear to have a strong enough personality for that. As a player he had Vieira and Lauren to help him, as a manager he has Mertesacker.
Quite clearly the players aren't up to the job yet either. Whether a new manager could change our handsomely paid little divas attitudes? I very much doubt it. They've arrived... they're where they want to be... they've got their contracts...why change?
We won't be relegated, it's a transition season, Aubameyang is probably off, his replacement will come in, plus a few new signings, and we'll try again next season. The TV money is there, the season tickets have been sold, and we'll carry on for the foreseeable future like this, slowly deteriorating, but always with the hope that next season will be a lucky one.
American Sports Franchise... F#*£ Yeah!

Our central defenders don't communicate enough. Luiz loves to canter about, as if he can easily rob the balls from attackers. But he can't! Sok is full of energy and sometimes create catastrophic mistakes, especially in trying to dribble out of the penalty area with 2 attackers near him. Mustafi, is Mustafi.

Post #506648  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:06 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
When interviewing next boss candidates what questions would you ask? I would ask ,how will you get the team back to winning ways, how will you get their confidence back, how will you improve the defence, who would you have as your no 2, who will be Captain, who do you want to sign, thats for starters .

More important follow-up question to all the answers ...... "why?"
It is the answer to the "why", that tells me he is a thinking man**, and who has already thought through the permutations. Then again, theory is only good on paper. Success is 100% based on execution.

**apologies to the ladies, maybe we might appoint a lady boss

Post #506649  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm 

I wouldn't begrudge Leicester at all if they made the top 4. In this era of big money, I think it would be a wonderful story if they got in. It would take a wee bit of shine off LFC's inevitability as well. Another significant story from the season.
And although LFC has been wildly successful of late with Klopp, one has to think 'what if' they had kept Rodgers there after that 8th place finish and given him the money to build what Klopp did. His stock has certainly risen. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets overseas offers for his services.

Post #506650  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:40 pm 

Newcastle win so we are down to 11th

Will be down to 12th if Brighton can get one.

Post #506651  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:36 pm 

There is an American show called 'Flea Market Flip' that I just ran across which seems just a version of 'Bargain Hunt'. I learned about Bargain Hunt when I started watching the BBC when it came on American tv in hopes of getting football news.
I loved watching David Dickinson. He cracked me up. I can't say why. He just seemed the stereotypical Brit "Hollywood" type. I imagined he was a big hit with elderly British women who tuned in to see him.

Post #506652  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:38 pm 

A while back I suggested we scour the lower divisions for the best central defenders we can find. Start doing what Graham did. Yes, we can still look overseas. Maybe we stopped after Jenkinson and Chambers didn't seem to work out.

Post #506653  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:05 pm 

Greeny wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Come on Freddie, sort out the defensive set-up already.

In the last post I mentioned Adams, etc., we also had Dixon and Winterburn, who had been bought cheaply from the lower leagues to replace our big stars at the time, Kenny Samson and Viv Anderson, so we don't necessarily have to spend huge amounts of money, it's the organisation.
Whether Freddie has the personality to do that, with the players at his disposal, that's the 2 questions.
Back-to-basics wouldn't be a bad idea.
Defending isn't difficult. You don't have to be super-talented. What you have to have is a plan, you have to stick to it, and you have to have players that will give you 100%. They have to stay in position, be disciplined, run back instead of jogging, and fight for the team.
It can be 3 or 4 or 5 at the back, just make sure they all know their part in the system.
Now here's the problem.
Freddie doesn't appear to have a strong enough personality for that. As a player he had Vieira and Lauren to help him, as a manager he has Mertesacker.
Quite clearly the players aren't up to the job yet either. Whether a new manager could change our handsomely paid little divas attitudes? I very much doubt it. They've arrived... they're where they want to be... they've got their contracts...why change?
We won't be relegated, it's a transition season, Aubameyang is probably off, his replacement will come in, plus a few new signings, and we'll try again next season. The TV money is there, the season tickets have been sold, and we'll carry on for the foreseeable future like this, slowly deteriorating, but always with the hope that next season will be a lucky one.

Kroenke no. 2 will just keep lining their pockets. "Be excited"

Attachments:

Post #506654  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm 

Greeny wrote:
Ash wrote:

We just need some decent CB’s. Would cure so much. Crucially Everton have a couple of decent CB’s and just out worked Chelsea today. Mustafi was brought in as our solution last week. Mustafi. Not there was a lot of other choice.

Chris Smalling is being mentioned as an option this morning

And to think, we had Adams, Keown and Bould at one time in the same team.

If Adams,Keown and Bould had Özil on the left flank not tracking back and Aubameyang on the right just wanting to attack and not tracking back they would be seriously screwed.

I think our stupidity is beyond individuals.

I’m serious these days you would have people saying stuff like “Tony Adams is a coward” and “Keown has no pace “

Post #506655  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:27 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Well of course the little subtlety you missed here Big Guy

Your right on both counts. Its like having a resident oracle when you post.

Well you got that one right :icon_mrgreen:

Another oracle prediction .... given the board was probably two years late in sacking Wenger and five months late on sacking Emery I can see them twiddling their thumbs over Ljungberg ..... giving him six weeks at least to turn things around and by that time we will be in such a huge hole , confidence shot , not knowing where to turn and get relegated ,

Freddie in his post match interview doesn't exude the passion needed to turn things around .

Matches I've seen in the Championship they all seem 'dog eat dog' affairs of a combative nature all desperate to get on the Premier League 'gravy train .'

Given that we don't cope well with that type of contest against the current cellar dwellers

...... if we got relegated a quick return would be far from guaranteed .

Post #506656  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 pm 

john1 wrote:
Watching kiwi's feed, and it's got Robbie Earle in the studio.

Christ, he looks old now.

Warrior ... what happened to post where I provided that link for John .... ? I wanted to re- use it .

Post #506657  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:59 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Our central defenders don't communicate enough. Luiz loves to canter about, as if he can easily rob the balls from attackers. But he can't! Sok is full of energy and sometimes create catastrophic mistakes, especially in trying to dribble out of the penalty area with 2 attackers near him. Mustafi, is Mustafi.

Real lack of leaders and communicators all over the pitch. There was a definite need to clear players out but by losing Čech, Monreal, Ramsey, Koscielny, even Lichsteiner and Welbeck - we lost almost all the leadership we had.
It is difficult for a new player to come in and immediately assume the role of the leader or captain, only very special players can do that. Usually those leaders are grown from within. I'm not sure who we have who is even future captain material

Post #506658  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 pm 

Marcelino is currently in London after catching a flight from the British Airways on the morning. He may become the new Arsenal coach, with Everton also being interested in hiring him. (via @superdeporte_es)

Post #506659  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 pm 

I mean seriously we are about to make another Spaniard who can’t speak English our manager. Defies belief

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-21053969

Post #506660  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:11 pm 

Hmm....I hope we aren't going to be like Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and others have musical chairs managers and end up with more managers on average per season than we have seasons.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... t-17385157

Post #506661  Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I mean seriously we are about to make another Spaniard who can’t speak English our manager. Defies belief

Is that your only criteria. When I worked in England in the 80’s a Geordie used to come to the bar & I couldn’t understand a word he said. I think you can add Geordies & even some Scots to your list if that is the selection criteria.

Post #506662  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:14 am 

I've gone off Vieira as an option after reading the below which seems to indicate Nice play 'death by passing' with the exact same issues that Arsenal currently have.

https://www.footballcritic.com/features ... senals/270

Post #506663  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Hmm... so the board see us more like Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal rather than Barcelona and Real Madrid or even Ath Madrid.

Post #506664  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 am 

Leicester currently outperforming their expected goals for and expected goals against better than anyone in the league, by some distance. You’d think they can’t keep it up but they kept it going for the title season.
XG is a really good stat, when Man U went on that great run when Ole took over the xG showed that the wins were lucky and masking a bigger problem. Also when Emery went on the 22 game unbeaten run we had something like a 25% shot to goal percentage- totally unsustainable

Post #506665  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Is that your only criteria. When I worked in England in the 80’s a Geordie used to come to the bar & I couldn’t understand a word he said. I think you can add Geordies & even some Scots to your list if that is the selection criteria.

Yes it’s paramount that the coach can articulate his ideas and strategy to the players. Clearly Emery struggled in this area and we need strength and stability.

Also his record is pretty uninspiring as well to be honest

Post #506666  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:03 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Warrior ... what happened to post where I provided that link for John .... ? I wanted to re- use it .
PM sent

Post #506667  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:03 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hmm... so the board see us more like Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal rather than Barcelona and Real Madrid or even Ath Madrid.

It would be a pretty uninspiring appointment

I think I would prefer Eddie Howe, Paddy or anyone to this guy. If this happens it’s clear who is running the show and I would be concerned that if we had a bad run of results the fans would turn on him even quicker than Emery. Really hope this is not true

Post #506668  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:35 am 

Freddie must be brave to pick the more driven youngsters to wear the shirt. Drop those who play with little conviction. IMO, those to be dropped are Luiz, Xhaka, Aubameyang, and Özil. Aubameyang is showing less and less commitment to the team.

Post #506669  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:13 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Aubameyang is showing less and less commitment to the team.

:1laughter:

He’s the only player who has done anything this season :15laughter:

Not his fault he keeps getting played wide. We’d be totally up a creek without a paddle without him.

Post #506670  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:22 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Warrior ... what happened to post where I provided that link for John .... ?
PM sent

Understood .. thanks Big Guy

Post #506671  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:27 am 

We've got shite CBs so one thing that might help is to stop our fullbacks playing like auxiliary wingers and bombing forward all the time leaving us totally exposed when the play breaks down and they are stranded high up the pitch as teams counter.

Dixon and Winterburn were decent going forward and could supplement attacks when needed but their first objective was to defend.

For the time being let's get back to the days when the fullbacks rarely crossed the halfway line, play with two wingers and let them get on with the task of creating things.

Post #506672  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:39 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Freddie must be brave to pick the more driven youngsters to wear the shirt. Drop those who play with little conviction. IMO, those to be dropped are Luiz, Xhaka, Aubameyang, and Özil.

I agree G7 but it wont happen .... if Ljungberg perserveres with Özil it'll show he hasn't got a clue .

On a positive note if we do get relegated , think of all the clubs we can get re - aquainted with West Brom . Preston , Leeds , Nottingham Forest , QPR , Derby .

I mean ... when 's the last time we played Luton .... have they still got that plastic pitch ?

Fans can have nice punch up with Millwall supporters . Plenty to savour .

Post #506673  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 am 

What about this guy as a backup GK ?

https://imgur.com/gallery/19WRyGf

Post #506674  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:34 am 

socrates wrote:
We've got shite CBs so one thing that might help is to stop our fullbacks playing like auxiliary wingers and bombing forward all the time leaving us totally exposed when the play breaks down and they are stranded high up the pitch as teams counter.

Dixon and Winterburn were decent going forward and could supplement attacks when needed but their first objective was to defend.

For the time being let's get back to the days when the fullbacks rarely crossed the halfway line, play with two wingers and let them get on with the task of creating things.

The key is getting the attacking wide men so the full backs aren’t tasked with being the only ones supplying the width

I want us to go back to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Flat back 4 who defend first and foremost, a solid midfield 3 who provide a stable base to defend and attack from, 2 proper wide men who can dribble and beat a man and take shots and Aubameyang up front

Post #506675  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:42 am 

socrates wrote:

Amen to that brother.

Post #506676  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

The key is getting the attacking wide men so the full backs aren’t tasked with being the only ones supplying the width

I want us to go back to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Flat back 4 who defend first and foremost, a solid midfield 3 who provide a stable base to defend and attack from, 2 proper wide men who can dribble and beat a man and take shots and Aubameyang up front

Since we got Aubameyang and Lacazette, might as well play old school 4-4-2 rather than Aubameyang wide. Pépé, Saka and Nelson can rotate to be the wide players.

I would try Guendouzi as a wide right mid ala Ray Parlour.

Post #506677  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:39 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Since we got Aubameyang and Lacazette, might as well play old school 4-4-2 rather than Aubameyang wide. Pépé, Saka and Nelson can rotate to be the wide players.

I would try Guendouzi as a wide right mid ala Ray Parlour.

He’s way too slow to play in a wide position dude.

Post #506678  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Aubameyang is showing less and less commitment to the team.

:1laughter:

He’s the only player who has done anything this season :15laughter:

Not his fault he keeps getting played wide. We’d be totally up a creek without a paddle without him.

Of late, he appears to be less committed. Can't blame him when he has Özil trying to find a pass, and taking forever. And I like him, just felt his heart is no longer in it for Arsenal.

Post #506679  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Agree ........

Leno
Bellerin Sok Holding Tierney
Torreira Guendozi
Pépé Willock Saka
Aubameyang

Post #506680  Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:13 pm 

Kroenke, Wenger & wasted millions - Why Arsenal are in total disarray

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/kroenke ... 3yu9iaf2rj

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12664, 12665, 12666, 12667, 12668, 12669, 12670 ... 14269  Next