Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 100 guests

Post #490761  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:30 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Thanks for that.
Yes, optimism does not come naturally to Arsenal fans. If we are three up with five minutes to go I still fear the worst. When Fabianski, Senderos and Djourou were playing in the same side I needed four goals up.

When we beat a big team or two I'll get excited by this squad.

Hopefully next year Emery will have some say in our signings so he can further mould the squad. I don’t think most of last years purchases were his idea. We can also work out who needs to leave. I now hope Ramsay leaves as he is one of the old guard. Renewal is needed & I am satisfied with the way things are headed. Have you still got reservations about letting Wenger go or are you starting to get onboard.

Post #490762  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:49 am 

A few people have mentioned Zaha, who I love the idea of. Sometimes a player just seems to make sense in a set up, the timing feels right and it feels like Zaha would add that extra something to this team. Do you think a signing like that that would be enough in January to get us the end of season position we want? Or is it still how solid the defence can get that’ll either win us Europa or get top 4?

Post #490763  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 am 

So, how is the mood around the league? Have we caught the league's attention or are we still flying under the radar?

Post #490764  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:09 pm 

Just me and you AG, Warrior you should definitely be in bed about now. Maybe we can just keep asking questions into the ether?

Leno or Čech? - looks like Leno is in for Qarabag Home and Fulham away at least.

If Leno performs well at Fulham would you give him the next Prem game?

Mustafi or Holding? Holding looked good coming in, but I’d back Mustafi over the season if it’s a choice between the two.

Why has the early linking up between Bellerin and Mkhitaryan gone by the wayside? Was Mkhitaryan injured for a spell?

Is Guendouzi more of a squad player rather than a first name in the team sheet now? He seems to want to run the show but maybe a bit early for that right now.

Ok I’m out.

Post #490765  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:14 pm 

Ok last thing this Ramsey and his options, this comment from someone on Football365 sums it up.

Quote:
Yeah if its one thing Liverpool need it's another central midfielder. Will fill the gap thats there with only Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Lallana and Chamberlain for the 3 positions.’

I’m sure he’d love Liverpool, but I think his best option is Italy. Link up with Gazidis at AC.

Post #490766  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 pm 

Iwobi in for Ramsey made a big difference in the Watford game. Good to see Iwobi playing with more confidence.

Post #490767  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:17 pm 

Ash wrote:
Mustafi or Holding? Holding looked good coming in, but I’d back Mustafi over the season if it’s a choice between the two.

I can understand that view. People have discussed what players have improved under Emery. In respect of that, I've hardly seen Mustafi mentioned. But to be fair to him, I reckon he has improved, quite significantly. I'm not saying he's perfect or couldn't be improved upon. Just that he has got better. Apart from the odd mistake that nearly everyone makes, I couldn't see much wrong with his game yesterday. Look, it wouldn't bother me if he does leave. However for as long as he is here, I hope his better form continues.

Post #490768  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 pm 

Wengers probably going to Barcelona to replace their manager

Watch the hystericals pretend now it was a bad decision to let him go

Post #490769  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Where's that come from?

Post #490770  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm 

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but we’ve drawn Blackpool at home in the next round of the Carabao Cup. Good draw, more youngsters to get some minutes

Post #490771  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Where's that come from?

Spanish media

Post #490772  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 pm 

Ash wrote:
A few people have mentioned Zaha, who I love the idea of. Sometimes a player just seems to make sense in a set up, the timing feels right and it feels like Zaha would add that extra something to this team. Do you think a signing like that that would be enough in January to get us the end of season position we want? Or is it still how solid the defence can get that’ll either win us Europa or get top 4?

The attack isn't the finished article but its pretty darn good. The defense needs attention and needs it ASAP if any money is going to be spent it should be in center defense. It's an obvious achilles heel.

Zaha would be a nice addition but not at the expense of building a solid defense.

Post #490773  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:35 pm 

Ash wrote:
Just me and you AG, Warrior you should definitely be in bed about now. Maybe we can just keep asking questions into the ether?

Leno or Čech? - looks like Leno is in for Qarabag Home and Fulham away at least.

If Leno performs well at Fulham would you give him the next Prem game?

Why has the early linking up between Bellerin and Mkhitaryan gone by the wayside? Was Mkhitaryan injured for a spell?

Is Guendouzi more of a squad player rather than a first name in the team sheet now? He seems to want to run the show but maybe a bit early for that right now.

Ok I’m out.

Čech is in fine form but the future is Leno and the quicker we get him up to speed and the pace of the PL the better. Čech has been a back up before and he should understand at his age, he's not the future. Like Jenning he can be called a club legend at rival clubs. Not many players can say that, least of all Sol. :icon_mrgreen:

Holding for sure. Mustafi isn't going to get better and with his age and experience, he shouldn't be making the mistakes he does. I recall Neville saying they couldn't give him away when he managed him and we looked like the equivalent of someone buying prime beach front property in Kansas. I go back to Holding's cup final and think there is a solid player in there.

Mkhitaryan needs to decide if he's going to be an Arsenal player or not. In effort and commitment. If he's still smarting over not being at Man Utd then sell him. He just doesn't seem to be as committed and I can see why Mourinho wasn't upset about seeing the back of him. Great player if he plays up to his skill set. He's simply not consistent enough.

Give Guendouzi minutes. The lad has come on and played way beyond expectations. Let's not kill his confidence. Let him get from strength to strength. Learn the game, the league, etc.

Post #490774  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:36 pm 

Wasn't there a tv show based in Blackpool? I sorta, kinda remember a tv show when the BBC was one of our cable channels.

Post #490775  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:40 pm 

There is a clip doing the rounds on the internet of Özil sprinting back 70 yards when arsenal lost the ball in the 91st minute yesterday and he’s the one who ends up winning the ball back on the edge of our box.

Post #490776  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 pm 

Ash wrote:

Or Reiss Nelson could save us tons of money... think he's doing quite well on loan.

Post #490777  Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:52 pm 

Babu III wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Wasn't there a tv show based in Blackpool? I sorta, kinda remember a tv show when the BBC was one of our cable channels.

You could be thinking of this one.

That's the one. Had been on BBC1. In the States was on in 2005 called Viva Blackpool.

Post #490778  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am 

Qarabag away on Thursday evening with Fulham away at noon on Sunday. Time to rotate as much as possible. I’d play
Leno, Lichsteiner, Kolasinac, Sokratis, Holding, Guendouzi, Elneny, Welbeck, Iwobi, Smith-Rowe, Nketiah. Mkhititaryan probably won’t go to Qarabag because of the political situation

Post #490779  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 am 

Zed wrote:
Babu III wrote:
You could be thinking of this one.

That's the one. Had been on BBC1. In the States was on in 2005 called Viva Blackpool.

That's it, you guys got it.

Post #490780  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 am 

Babu III wrote:
Who likes the French?

Hands up!

Babu, is that you flashing gang signs? :1laughter:
Are you from "south central" Zurich?

Post #490781  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 am 

Sanchez and Mourinho...hahahaha
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/furious-al ... 13927.html

Post #490782  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:10 pm 

Astounding, and depressing, stat from the weekend. Apparently 8 minutes and 15 seconds of Cardiff’s match against Burnley was wasted as everyone waited for Sean Morrison to take throw ins.

How tedious is that! Like the bad old Rory Delap days.

Post #490783  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm 

I think that for the win over Watford I could see more of the Emery influence. Particularly in the first half. It was end to end stuff for a good while and very entertaining but also Arsenal appeared a bit sharper during transitions. Going forward much quicker and in defense on quite a few occasions there was a very quick press to try and overwhelm the man in possession to win the ball back quickly. Didn't work every time and sometimes left gaps but there was intensity there. Trying to play from the back every time also seems to have been relaxed a bit in favour of pragmatism.

Improvement over the stale Wenger years and we're not there by any stretch but I saw improvement none the less. Good stuff.

Post #490784  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm 

Rumor mill is Zidane to take over at Man Utd. That would be interesting.

I am curious to see if Zidane can duplicate his Real Madrid success in Manchester.

Mourinho unceremoniously led out the door and Sanchez not being able to score in the proverbial brothel are good times.

Post #490785  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
I think that for the win over Watford I could see more of the Emery influence. Particularly in the first half. It was end to end stuff for a good while and very entertaining but also Arsenal appeared a bit sharper during transitions. Going forward much quicker and in defense on quite a few occasions there was a very quick press to try and overwhelm the man in possession to win the ball back quickly. Didn't work every time and sometimes left gaps but there was intensity there. Trying to play from the back every time also seems to have been relaxed a bit in favour of pragmatism.

Improvement over the stale Wenger years and we're not there by any stretch but I saw improvement none the less. Good stuff.

Under Wenger we won 3-0 against them at home last season. Emery out! :1laughter:

Post #490786  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

Sad to see the bloke form Rainbow has passed...

Attachments:

Post #490787  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:58 pm 

Abu wrote:
Sad to see the bloke form Rainbow has passed...

Eh? Please explain. Who has died, and what’s the connection between Paul Weller and Rainbow?

Post #490788  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:18 pm 

Ah, Rainbow as in Zippy and Bungle rather than ‘Since you been gone’.

Still baffled by the Paul Weller connection though.

Post #490789  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Astounding, and depressing, stat from the weekend. Apparently 8 minutes and 15 seconds of Cardiff’s match against Burnley was wasted as everyone waited for Sean Morrison to take throw ins.

The time taken over long throws annoys me. If as a team you make it very obvious you want to take long throws and you use your left back to trot over to the right wing to take them, towel the ball off etc it is seem as perfectly acceptable to take 45 seconds over each throw. But now imagine the ball went out by the right back and he simply waited for 35 seconds then picked the ball up and took 10 seconds to throw it in he’d get booked immediately!
So many double standards.

The other one that annoys me is a gk wasting time whilst trying to hold on to a 0-0, the team that is attacking then gets a late goal and their gk starts to waste time and gets booked immediately.

Refs know the context of games and bow to them, too often letting the situation of the game or favourites affect their decision making

Post #490790  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The time taken over long throws annoys me. If as a team you make it very obvious you want to take long throws and you use your left back to trot over to the right wing to take them, towel the ball off etc it is seem as perfectly acceptable to take 45 seconds over each throw. But now imagine the ball went out by the right back and he simply waited for 35 seconds then picked the ball up and took 10 seconds to throw it in he’d get booked immediately!

The other one that annoys me is a gk wasting time whilst trying to hold on to a 0-0, the team that is attacking then gets a late goal and their gk starts to waste time and gets booked immediately.

Refs know the context of games and bow to them, too often letting the situation of the game or favourites affect their decision making

Yep

Also striker is fouled in box but tried to stay on his feet and doesn’t get a penalty.

Other striker dives in the box when not touched and is booked for diving

Post #490791  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
... Have you still got reservations about letting Wenger go or are you starting to get onboard.
I've got one of the older tickets on the Arsenal trip, and it will last until the grim reaper takes it from me. Yes it was the right time for Arsene to leave - I just didn't support the extremely negative and dim disrespectful comments about his motives at Arsenal. Emery's appointment didn't excite me much - I'd have preferred somebody of greater achievement such as Low or Ancelotti - but I do want whoever is in charge to succeed.

Post #490792  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
The time taken over long throws annoys me...
Clip-clop, clip-clop. That is the sound of my hobby-horse. Been saying for years there should be a clock in football as in rugby league and hockey. The Premiership could easily afford to install systems at every League ground, and by doing so put the spectators first.

Post #490793  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yep

Also striker is fouled in box but tried to stay on his feet and doesn’t get a penalty.

Other striker dives in the box when not touched and is booked for diving

Another is how a striker is fair game to be crunched in the box after he has got his shot away. Anywhere else on the pitch and it is always a free kick. The classic is a striker trying to block a defenders clearance and takes him out even if the clearance is just blasted in to touch it’s always a free kick so why not in the box for the striker. There is no advantage unless he scores

Post #490794  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 pm 

I read and hear lots of people say Ramsey is not being used in his best position and the team isn’t set up to his strengths. The question I have is that if you could set a perfect team and formation for Ramsey what would it be? You can even include other fantasy midfielder types ie I’ll put him alongside a Kante etc
I’m struggling to nail it down - that’s not to say he’s not a good player I’m just not sure what his best position and system is

Post #490795  Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
I read and hear lots of people say Ramsey is not being used in his best position and the team isn’t set up to his strengths. The question I have is that if you could set a perfect team and formation for Ramsey what would it be? You can even include other fantasy midfielder types ie I’ll put him alongside a Kante etc
I’m struggling to nail it down - that’s not to say he’s not a good player I’m just not sure what his best position and system is

To be honest rich I just don’t think he fits into the top tier of midfielders out there. He’s played practically every position for us with a variety of colleagues and has only managed 1 decent season where everything he tried ended up in the net. Aside from that if he wasn’t a homegrown player I think he would be scrutinised as equally as Xhaka and whilst he contributed some cup winning goals it’s very hard to recall many games where he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and dominated the midfield.

Post #490796  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:37 am 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

What baffles me is why the EPL doesn't have extra balls available. Why must there only be one match-ball? Anyone know why?

Post #490797  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

What baffles me is why the EPL doesn't have extra balls available. Why must there only be one match-ball? Anyone know why?

Wait, they only have one match ball?

Post #490798  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:59 am 

gooner7 wrote:

They do. They often seem to throw different balls back when it goes out of play.

Post #490799  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
... Have you still got reservations about letting Wenger go or are you starting to get onboard.
I've got one of the older tickets on the Arsenal trip, and it will last until the grim reaper takes it from me. Yes it was the right time for Arsene to leave - I just didn't support the extremely negative and dim disrespectful comments about his motives at Arsenal. Emery's appointment didn't excite me much - I'd have preferred somebody of greater achievement such as Low or Ancelotti - but I do want whoever is in charge to succeed.

Exactly. If Wenger had left in about 2006 or even 2009 and taken over at Barca he would probably have won his Champs league and much else and cemented his reputation as a great. As it was he stayed too long and did a lot of damage to his reputation. Why did he stay so long? Loyalty? Stubbornness? Hardly capital offences. And people grossly exaggerate the damage he did to the club. I think this will prove to be quite superficial.

As for Emery. There are good signs but it is too early to tell. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Post #490800  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 am 

Decaf wrote:
Why did he stay so long? Loyalty? Stubbornness? Hardly capital offences.

I suspect a degree of megalomania (quite possibly undiagnosed) may have played some part of it. My impression was that he enjoyed having authority, even to the extent of what some may unpolitely call being 'power mad' or a 'control freak'. He surely had massive influence across the club, even beyond the football side of the business. I reckon he loved it, and knew he wouldn't get it elsewhere. Particularly at a very big club.

It's feasible that what cost Wenger his massive job security was, firstly, not qualifying for the Champions League two years in a row, which costs a lot of money. Secondly, a significant growth in empty seats at the Emirates, even if it wasn't costing much or any money when season ticket holders don't turn up.

Gazidis could have persuaded Kroenke of the relevance of a lack of bums on seats if a forthcoming consequence was to be season ticket holders not renewing. After all, there's no guarantee people on a waiting list will take their opportunity to become a season ticket holder, if offered one. Especially when the team isn't challenging.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12267, 12268, 12269, 12270, 12271, 12272, 12273 ... 14269  Next