Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie, warrior and 83 guests

Post #482041  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FOMoaSljW60

This is funny (NSFW) what a bunch of manufactured nonsense that was over Neville's obviously jokey tweets.

Post #482042  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Our 1st 11?

Mkhitaryan Aubameyang Lacazette
Wilshere Özil Ramsey
Monreal Mustafi Koscielny Bellerin
Čech

Whatever side Wenger puts out, he'll make it dis-functional. That's what Arsene does.

Be interesting to see if Wenger will go full Keegan.

Post #482043  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm 

Should be feeling overjoyed with PEA completing but somehow I feel all :20hospitals:

I'm sure AW will start him on he bench and piss him off just for the fun of it.

Post #482044  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:01 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Whatever side Wenger puts out, he'll make it dis-functional. That's what Arsene does.

Be interesting to see if Wenger will go full Keegan.

Well, he's hoping to get Cazorla fit for next season to replace Čech in goal...........sweeper keeper.

Post #482045  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:03 pm 

Özil £350000 a week?

Unbelievable................

Post #482046  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 pm 

Hey H is online.

Long time no see. How are you?

Post #482047  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Özil £350000 a week?

Peanuts. Warrior earns more than that in a day.

Post #482048  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The great team we had from '98 onward had a British core who wouldn't allow their teammates to be cowardly. Big Tone wasn't having it. Keown wasn't having it. Henry, Vieira, and Pires who came to us big on skills and frankly low on bravery, even he became a fighter as did Bergkamp who toughened up his game in the EPL.

Since that core left, we have lost that in the squad. The Eduardo broken leg game epitomizes it. We should have won the title that season.

I said this a few years ago and truly believe it. We could bring in Messi and it wouldn't do much long term good. You can't buy your way out of a lack of belief. It starts from the top down. The players respect Wenger but there is something missing. Something that he hasn't been able to instill in the team and I am not of the mind that it wasn't Wenger that instilled 'The Invincibles' spirit but it was a combination of having that British core wedded with continental skill.

I just did a massive *%^@

Post #482049  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Özil £350000 a week?

Hmm, think Rog needs a payrise then. He should be on that an hour surely?

Post #482050  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 pm 

The reality of football is you have to keep up with the wages or be left behind. There is more money in the game. When you have mid and even lower level clubs breaking club records with money that was deemed only for the top 5 or 6 clubs a few years ago, its a different football world we live in.

This is interesting (to some like me) and I assume some of you old timers can remember transfer records and wage records and thinking at the time that the world has gone mad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressi ... fee_record

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... mbers.html

Post #482051  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Özil £350000 a week?

Lots of money, but to me he’s worth every penny. Genuine world class player, and at some point we must show that we’re able to keep top players. Seeing him go to Man United in the summer would’ve been disgusting.

Post #482052  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Özil £350000 a week?

Lots of money, but to me he’s worth every penny. Genuine world class player, and at some point we must show that we’re able to keep top players. Seeing him go to Man United in the summer would’ve been disgusting.

Tbh Haz I don't think on his performances he is worth that sort of wage it's only my opinion of course but for me he just don't seem interested most games.

Post #482053  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm 

goonerguru wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Tbh Haz I don't think on his performances he is worth that sort of wage it's only my opinion of course but for me he just don't seem interested most games.

The thing is, if Özil isn't there, who else will sign for us? He's the only 'star' we have now I think, although I agree he does sometimes look as though he could do with a kick uta.

Post #482054  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm 

Also hearing we are trying to bring in another defender but I don't know who.

Post #482055  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:
I don't know why people are talking about Wenger-isation. What does that even mean any more?

Until maybe 2 1/2 years ago we at least had a style that we attempted to play and until maybe 5 years ago it was at least reasonably clear, coherent and more often than not pretty effective.

Now? Does anyone even know what the team is trying to do now? I see lots of good footballers who don't have a clue about what to do in terms of structure, defensive positioning or attacking patterns of play, bar give it to Özil and hope something amazing happens.

As most of you know, I've been stupendously patient with the manager. But last year I felt he should be encouraged to walk on a high, but an FA Cup win against London rivals is no small thing, particularly as it was such a brilliant and convincing win. This year, unless we somehow win the Europa League (which selling Giroud would massively undermine), I want him out the door. I always said in cold hard analysis, despite the stagnation, his achievements had plateaued at just about good enough to keep his job. Last year was pushing that with the Cup Final an excuse for the board to cover their own passivity and cowardice. This year, if he doesn't win the Europa League it has to be seen as a failure by every objective criteria, and the credit in the bank is no longer recent enough to preach patience.

This isn't wanting 'My Arsenal' back or thinking we should necessarily be winning the big prizes. But our resources mean we should be able to compete with anyone other than Utd, City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca & perhaps Bayern on an equal footing. And quite apart from that, and rather more damning, I see this team and see most players performance levels deteriorating and a total lack of clarity about what the aim is on the pitch. The players look lost, and there is only person who can take responsibility for that.

Lom to clarify its complete meaning for clarity

Wengerised

noun
A professional footballer with plenty of excellent raw technical attributes unable to fulfil its potential due to lack of coaching direction at management level.
E.g "oi mate that Aaron Ramsey has been properly facking wengerised"

Ah...but that implies that the players in question have been coached into being bad players, which is patently not true judging by international performance levels of most of them.

Giroud, Sanchez, Özil, Ramsey, Kos, Xhaka, Iwobi, Welbz have all done brilliantly for their countries when fit, as have Monreal & Bellerin when they have got games.

We should confuse the dysfunction of the team with the ability of the players.

Post #482056  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm 

Now then. First of all big bloody congratulations to Boltoner and pigeon-fancier extraordinaire Lee Mason for dealing with those soft southerners last night. You would not think watching "The" Arsenal that they were t'most successful team in London right now and in need of being brought down a peg or two with their Instagram accounts and their milly-rocking dance routines. Happen few of you will have noticed but the way Lee conned Montreal into letting the ball run out and then shone a laser in Čech's eyes were pure bloody genius. Myself and all the other biased northern refs were having a brew and laughing our bloody clogs off.

Post #482057  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Özil £350000 a week?

In Zimbabwe dollars possibly

Post #482058  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 pm 

It's obvious that Arsenal have struggled with transfers/contract renewals in recent times, and the news that Özil has extended his contract for a massive wage increase could be seen as evidence of that dysfunction. It reminds me of the Walcott contract a few years ago where he got an overly generous deal from the club who had allowed his contract to run down and couldn't be seen to let another high profile player leave. Whatever happens now, with Wenger's exploding clown car of a team we do have 3 top top quality players on longish contracts.
I'm pleased Mesut has (re)signed but I find him an incredibly frustrating player due to his combination of record breaking assist statistics and footballing grace, all done with an air of mr Kipling flakiness.

Post #482059  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm 

goonerguru wrote:

I get that, he has been inconsistent and his body language leaves a lot to be desired. But since he arrived no player in the Premier League has had more assists and created more chances. When he’s on his game there are few playmakers in the world I’d rank ahead of him. Let’s hope he can continue his recent form now that the contract is settled.

Post #482060  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:
I don't know why people are talking about Wenger-isation. What does that even mean any more?

Until maybe 2 1/2 years ago we at least had a style that we attempted to play and until maybe 5 years ago it was at least reasonably clear, coherent and more often than not pretty effective.

Now? Does anyone even know what the team is trying to do now? I see lots of good footballers who don't have a clue about what to do in terms of structure, defensive positioning or attacking patterns of play, bar give it to Özil and hope something amazing happens.

As most of you know, I've been stupendously patient with the manager. But last year I felt he should be encouraged to walk on a high, but an FA Cup win against London rivals is no small thing, particularly as it was such a brilliant and convincing win. This year, unless we somehow win the Europa League (which selling Giroud would massively undermine), I want him out the door. I always said in cold hard analysis, despite the stagnation, his achievements had plateaued at just about good enough to keep his job. Last year was pushing that with the Cup Final an excuse for the board to cover their own passivity and cowardice. This year, if he doesn't win the Europa League it has to be seen as a failure by every objective criteria, and the credit in the bank is no longer recent enough to preach patience.

This isn't wanting 'My Arsenal' back or thinking we should necessarily be winning the big prizes. But our resources mean we should be able to compete with anyone other than Utd, City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca & perhaps Bayern on an equal footing. And quite apart from that, and rather more damning, I see this team and see most players performance levels deteriorating and a total lack of clarity about what the aim is on the pitch. The players look lost, and there is only person who can take responsibility for that.

Lom to clarify its complete meaning for clarity

Wengerised

noun
A professional footballer with plenty of excellent raw technical attributes unable to fulfil its potential due to lack of coaching direction at management level.
E.g "oi mate that Aaron Ramsey has been properly facking wengerised"

:53big-emoticons:

Post #482061  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Didn't hear it myself but apparently a caller to Talksport said: 'If Wenger coached a fish, it would drown.' :laughing7:

:icon_mrgreen: :15laughter: :14laughter:

Post #482062  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 pm 

goonerguru wrote:
Also hearing we are trying to bring in another defender but I don't know who.

replace the word defender with manager and we might be getting somewhere

Post #482063  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:54 pm 

socrates wrote:
I was quite excited about the signing of Aubameyang until last night's debacle just reiterated what an absolute shambles we now are.

Even with Aubameyang we won't finish top four, he can't play in the europa league and we are about to lose Giroud who may have had a big role in our attempts to win the Europa League which is now our only hope of a top four spot. Given Lacazette's form, he was appalling last night (as they all were), Giroud might well have found himself the main man again. Several inviting crosses fizzed across the 6 yard box last night and Lacazette was nowhere to be seen. Bizarre.

Even in the midst of signing a top player we still can't help but find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

too true .... my previous excitement after watching his video of goals and thinking he will be back with Mkhitaryan ...has well and truly evaporated , even Özil signing a new three year deal helps but who cares .

Yesterday's shambolic display is probably worst yet as we continually plumb the lows . Worse than the massive defeats at Chelsea and Old Trafford ..... it shows that ANY team in all four divisions never mind the Premier League can beat us with a .... stay at home defence , a structured game plan , plenty of heart , and fire in their belly

Swansea , Forest , Bournemouth . One graphic example ... one accurate long ball and Clucas has our defence backpedalling in disarray

... meanwhile back at Tippy Tappy Central we are continuing to pass pass pass pass pass pass for the sake of **&^*% passing :blob8: that wont change .

Dante's Inferno inscription should be erected above the entrances to the Emirates " Abandon all hope ; you who enter here "

Post #482064  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm 

An atheist was walking through the woods.

'What majestic trees!
'What powerful rivers!
'What beautiful animals!
He said to himself.
Suddenly, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.
He turned to look . . . and saw a 7-foot grizzly bear charging towards him.
He ran as fast as he could along the path.
He looked over his shoulder & saw that the bear was closing on him ...
He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer ....
and then ..... He tripped and fell.
Rolling over to pick himself up, he found the bear was right on top of him ...
and raising the right paw to strike ..

At that instant the Atheist cried out, 'Oh my God!'
Time Stopped ...
The bear froze ......
The forest was silent ..
A bright light shone upon the man, and a voice came out of the sky ..
"You deny my existence for all these years, you teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to cosmic accident ...
Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament?
"Am I to count you as a believer?"
The atheist looked directly into the light ....
"It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now ..
but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian?"
.. a pause ... "

Very well," said the voice ..

The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed ...

And the bear dropped his right paw ...
brought both paws together ...
bowed his head & spoke ...

"Lord, bless this food, which I am about to receive. . .

Post #482065  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 pm 

john1 wrote:
goonerguru wrote:

The thing is, if Özil isn't there, who else will sign for us? He's the only 'star' we have now I think, although I agree he does sometimes look as though he could do with a kick uta.

but honestly John ....what does it matter who we have on our books

Under the guidance of this cauliflower headed , double lengthed puffa jacketed half wit .......we could sign the whole German national team plus Messi and within two weeks we'd be losing to Colchester .

Post #482066  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:10 pm 

Post #482067  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

but honestly John ....what does it matter who we have on our books

Under the guidance of this cauliflower headed , double lengthed puffa jacketed half wit .......we could sign the whole German national team plus Messi and within two weeks we'd be losing to Colchester .

I suspect you're right.

Post #482068  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Guardiola may be a wee bit of a fraud, in that he has only ever managed the super rich with obscene levels of domestic competitive advantage and having been bequeathed some of the best players in the world in each case, but he undoubtedly improves players en masse. Wenger hasn't really done that with more than a few here and there since circa 2010.

Its not even a case of being angry. He's brought us a lot of pleasure overall, and done his best. Its just that there is increasingly no point in him being here other than as an ever declining tribute act to himself and as stooge to boardroom parsimony.

We are exceptionally horrible away from home this season. Past seasons we would at least secure 30 points away. Our home record remains to be very good. Not sure why the players can't replicate home form...

Biggest disparity in home and away form for over a decade and if it gets any worse it'll be the worst in a generation

Post #482069  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
This is he report of Aubameyang last game for Dortmund.
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/borussia ... 6q96fqhwk7

You will note that his manager suggests he cannot perform if he does not get service in the box. So given the service we currently provide to Lacazette how do you think he will perform.

Similar player...in many ways less technically accomplished...BUT - Aubameyang is a 6"2 Theo Walcott with more hunger and aggression and excellent off the ball movement in the box. I actually think the two could complement each other. Aubameyang is super sharp in the box and has the physicality to make it happen. Lacazette is a better technician but needs more space. One of our major problems this season was not not having anyone get close to support Lacazette when Ramsey was absent. Wenger was trying to get Sanchez to do so to help our French forward, but the Chilean, though individually a brilliant brilliant player, is not very coachable even by stronger and better coaches than AW, and basically just did his own thing. Noticeable that when he did get closer to Lacazette, the Frenchman's movement often made space for him to great effect (except when trying to claw back a deficit against a massed defence).

Rumours of a centre-half today. Would be happy if that happens as Mustafi flits between excellent and idiotic with alarming regularity.

Post #482070  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm 

goonerguru wrote:
It certainly makes me wonder what the manager and coaches do at the Arsenal to earn their money.
Bould a good defender but the team have no idea how to do this simple art and big Jens turns up this season and we all saw how the keeper performed last night.
And of course we have a manager who can't manage.

Jens isn't a keeper coach. I've been led to believe that until Wenger's favourite Peyton is finally forced to leave our keepers will never reach their potential. Sadly Hodd probably can't comment on this one, but there is a reason Chelsea wouldn't let Christophe Lollichon (sp?!) come across town with Petr Čech.

Post #482071  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
However id be against a Giroud Luiz swap deal. Luiz is the most gung ho centre half ive ever seen and I couldn’t imagine him under a side managed by Wenger. Every game would be a kamikaze mission we may as well get the stadium bars serving absinthe

I don't know. I like Luiz. Spirited lad and a fine player when not acting like a loon. Having a nutter might not be a bad thing at this point!

Could be brilliant in the role we are trying to make Elneny play

Post #482072  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The great team we had from '98 onward had a British core who wouldn't allow their teammates to be cowardly. Big Tone wasn't having it. Keown wasn't having it. Henry, Vieira, and Pires who came to us big on skills and frankly low on bravery, even he became a fighter as did Bergkamp who toughened up his game in the EPL.

Since that core left, we have lost that in the squad. The Eduardo broken leg game epitomizes it. We should have won the title that season.

I said this a few years ago and truly believe it. We could bring in Messi and it wouldn't do much long term good. You can't buy your way out of a lack of belief. It starts from the top down. The players respect Wenger but there is something missing. Something that he hasn't been able to instill in the team and I am not of the mind that it wasn't Wenger that instilled 'The Invincibles' spirit but it was a combination of having that British core wedded with continental skill.

To be fair, anyone who saw Paddy and Petit before they came to Arsenal knows that they were both more than happy to dig in. Also in fairness, though our lot are particularly soft centered as a team, the likes of the Invincibles and Fergie's best teams are unlikely to replicated too often in terms of a mix of ability, strength of character and ability to dish out as much rough stuff as they got.

Post #482073  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:41 pm 

Daz wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FOMoaSljW60

This is funny (NSFW) what a bunch of manufactured nonsense that was over Neville's obviously jokey tweets.

Just served to distract from the fact the the real issue is that he's never managed a game to date and never worked in any connection with women's football, yet was given the role of manager of the 3rd best women's football team in the world. But, yes, people on the internet love getting angry about things without any actual knowledge of what they are angry about...

Post #482074  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 pm 

But in his own words he gazed across the practice pitches at the girls when attending his sons games, what more do you want :20hospitals:

Post #482075  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm 

Confirmed that Giroud has gone to Chelsea. Eighteen month contract, sold for £18m.

Post #482076  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:37 pm 

Won't seem right seeing him turn out for that rabble, if only he could have ran a bit quicker :20hospitals:

Post #482077  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm 

So farewell Oliver
You had a good Gulliver.
Much more than a bludgeon
You gave us a scorpion.
Clever near post man
I liked your flicks and occasional tricks.
Now, go to The Bridge of silage,
Eat sausage, study brewage, become baggage.
Stink like a cabbage.
As a Horse of Troy make wreckage.

Post #482078  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:11 pm 

Are we going to have any players left? Saw a tweet that said 17 players have left arsenal permanently and only 5 have joined this season.

Squad is absolutely threadbare and has not a single person who naturally plays as a wide attacker.

Post #482079  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm 

Whatever spirits were raised with the Aubameyang deal and Özil re signing only gloss over yet another awful season of transfer activity from arsenal.

We are still replacing rather than improving. We have still yet to address the 3 greatest weaknesses of this team and I believe that whilst it is good to get rid of some stale players we are left with a ridiculously unbalanced squad and still a lot of poor quality players in the match day squad.

If we agree that there is no shifting wenger there was massive strides to be made with the overhaul of this playing squad and I’d say we have got about 25% of what should have been done, done

Post #482080  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
Whatever spirits were raised with the Aubameyang deal and Özil re signing only gloss over yet another awful season of transfer activity from arsenal.

We are still replacing rather than improving. We have still yet to address the 3 greatest weaknesses of this team and I believe that whilst it is good to get rid of some stale players we are left with a ridiculously unbalanced squad and still a lot of poor quality players in the match day squad.

If we agree that there is no shifting wenger there was massive strides to be made with the overhaul of this playing squad and I’d say we have got about 25% of what should have been done, done

Agree Rich, I'm pleased with the transfers and the change that seems to be happening but it's a consequence of our lack of proactive approach. I think Aubameyang joining spells the end of the line for Lacazette who will probably be played out of position now by Wenger to the expense of the balance of the team before he realises it won't work then sold.

[ 571503 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12049, 12050, 12051, 12052, 12053, 12054, 12055 ... 14288  Next