Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Rich, warrior and 40 guests

Post #548441  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:17 pm 

Bored wrote:
I think our new signing needs to spend his summer in the gym. He looks like someone with a youtube channel who teaches acoustic guitar.

Yes. Definitely needs to hit the brick lane Beigel shop for several salt beefs too. He’s a match stick

Post #548442  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm 

Bored wrote:
I think our new signing needs to spend his summer in the gym. He looks like someone with a youtube channel who teaches acoustic guitar.

:happy11: :happy11: :happy11:

Post #548443  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:33 pm 

Darren wrote:
Vieira has been announced on Arsenal Direct of all places. Go to the first page of it and there he is in the no.21 shirt.

Is Arsenal Direct an official club website? He’s confirmed on Arsenal.com anyway. Not sure when as I’ve not had a chance to be on the internet since early this morning. Be interesting to see what his official date of joining is given as.

Him being on holiday in Greece would not make any difference. Like being on holiday in Greece wouldn’t have stopped Arteta choosing the shortlist for player of the season.

Post #548444  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:37 pm 

dec wrote:
Bored wrote:

Don’t suppose we can hope he’s a Billy Bremner type? Less physical presence than Warwick Davis but violent enough to head up a Glasgow Razor Gang.

Post #548445  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Someone (Maybe Adrian Clark) on a podcast: the Handbrake Off one I believe, said that other than last season, Lacca had outscored Jesus in minutes per goal for the previous 3 seasons. I wouldn't know where to find those figures so I cannot verify it.

I am only guessing but I wonder if Jesus has second thoughts on joining us. When he was with Brazil he was asked about a transfer and he indicated a decision would be made after their last game which was over a week ago. But it all went silent and this seemed to coincide with the time Real allegedly showed interest. If we sign him, it is because Arteta wants him to play a particular way.

In all time Prem rankings Jesus is 3rd to Henry and Aguero for goals and assists per minute of football played.

Would you mind posting the site to look up. If he’s that good why is he so cheap?

Post #548446  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:54 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
In all time Prem rankings Jesus is 3rd to Henry and Aguero for goals and assists per minute of football played.

Would you mind posting the site to look up. If he’s that good why is he so cheap?

The thing with stats like this is they routinely ignore the number of games played. For example, if Charlie Patino’s scoring debut as a fairly late sub in a cup game against Sunderland had been a Premier League game, at that point he would presumably have been top. Above Henry, Aguero, Salah, De Bruyne and every other great player with loads of Premier League games.

Post #548447  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

The thing with stats like this is they routinely ignore the number of games played. For example, if Charlie Patino’s scoring debut cup game against Sunderland had been a Premier League game, at that point he would have been top. Above Henry, Aguero, Salah, De Bruyne and every other great player with loads of Premier League games.

https://www.givemesport.com/1565113-the ... ue-history

Gabriel Jesus has 159 appearances, but only 9304 premier league minutes for City, which is about 58 minutes per appearance. You may explain his high ranking because he scores the icing on the cake goal when coming off the bench, giving him a good goal to minute ratio but I saw a set of stats that showed he's actually more prolific when starting rather than coming off the bench.

Jesus has 20 goals and 5 assists in 38 CL appearances, where again he averages 58 minutes per appearance

Post #548448  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

Don’t suppose we can hope he’s a Billy Bremner type? Less physical presence than Warwick Davis but violent enough to head up a Glasgow Razor Gang.

Going out on a limb here, but I reckon he won't be a hard man. In fact, I'd say he would make Theo Walcott look tough as nails.

Post #548449  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The thing with stats like this is they routinely ignore the number of games played. For example, if Charlie Patino’s scoring debut cup game against Sunderland had been a Premier League game, at that point he would have been top. Above Henry, Aguero, Salah, De Bruyne and every other great player with loads of Premier League games.

Gabriel Jesus has 159 appearances, but only 9304 premier league minutes for City, which is about 58 minutes per appearance. You may explain his high ranking because he scores the icing on the cake goal when coming off the bench, giving him a good goal to minute ratio but I saw a set of stats that showed he's actually more prolific when starting rather than coming off the bench.

Jesus has 20 goals and 5 assists in 38 CL appearances, where again he averages 58 minutes per appearance

Replicates that next season ( for us) :he will be a great signing. Thanks for the link

Post #548450  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 pm 

Surely there had to be a trade off on shirt numbers so Vieira got to wear number 4.

Instantly a best seller and PR win for the club.

Post #548451  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m not trying to explain anything about Jesus, although I do think it’s worth pointing out that his time at City has coincided with being a teammate of De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva and apart from the last two years David Silva. Also, that he might not change our frustration that so many of our crosses in open play end up wasted. His stats are more than decent but as I say, had Charlie Patino’s first goal as a late sub debut come in the Premier League, he’d presumably be first above all the players I mentioned above. The legitimacy of stats as an explanation should always be monitored.

You yourself have said you’d be underwhelmed if Jesus is our only new forward signed this window, which Darren thinks will be the case. So will I be. I think we need a different type of striker to Jesus and Nketiah and feel we’d be better off diverting funds to that than other areas of the squad. I hope I’m wrong but if our only forwards next season are Jesus, Nketiah and Balogun, to me that looks even weaker on paper than starting last season with Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah.

Post #548452  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:16 pm 

Just read that Gabriel Jesus offer from us provides a wage per week of 280k quid ish. This makes him our best paid player by miles on more than Kane per week.

No way he isn’t turning up at Arsenal now. It makes other transfers unfeasible. If it’s right or wrong is another thing

Post #548453  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’m not trying to explain anything about Jesus, although I do think it’s worth pointing out that his time at City has coincided with being a teammate of De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva and apart from the last two years David Silva. Also, that he might not change our frustration that so many of our crosses in open play end up wasted. His stats are more than decent but as I say, had Charlie Patino’s first goal as a late sub debut come in the Premier League, he’d presumably be first above all the players I mentioned above. The legitimacy of stats as an explanation should always be monitored.

You yourself have said you’d be underwhelmed if Jesus is our only new forward signed this window, which Darren thinks will be the case. So will I be. I think we need a different type of striker to Jesus and Nketiah and feel we’d be better off diverting funds to that than other areas of the squad. I hope I’m wrong but if our only forwards next season are Jesus, Nketiah and Balogun, to me that looks even weaker on paper than starting last season with Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah.

I know this sounds a little crazy as a signing but what about 34yo Luis Suarez on a free for a season. Play more in the cups and off the bench. A bit like Eddie this season. Put a bit more bite into our forwards.

Post #548454  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that Gabriel Jesus offer from us provides a wage per week of 280k quid ish. This makes him our best paid player by miles on more than Kane per week.

No way he isn’t turning up at Arsenal now. It makes other transfers unfeasible. If it’s right or wrong is another thing

Apparently Jesus was on £90k a week at Manchester City. So if Arsenal are going to pay him £280k per week, that’s more than three times the salary he was on there? £190k (£280k - £90k) a week is nearly £10m (£9.88m) a year more than he was on City, the Premier League’s big spenders in recent years. Like you I can’t see him turning that down, if your figures are correct.

Harry Kane is on £200k a week, so we’ll be paying Gabriel Jesus £80k a week more than Tottenham pay Kane. That’s nearly £4.2m (£4.16m) a year more than Kane gets, who is arguably the best centre forward in the world.

If he isn’t a rip roaring success, Jesus will be another player we’ll struggle to get rid of. Let’s hope he is or Arteta and Edu will surely have questions to answer.

Post #548455  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Apparently GJ"s agent is still in Sao Paulo amid transfer talks, links. He's not in London according to some reports.

Post #548456  Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:
Vieira has been announced on Arsenal Direct of all places. Go to the first page of it and there he is in the no.21 shirt.

Is Arsenal Direct an official club website? He’s confirmed on Arsenal.com anyway. Not sure when as I’ve not had a chance to be on the internet since early this morning. Be interesting to see what his official date of joining is given as.

Him being on holiday in Greece would not make any difference. Like being on holiday in Greece wouldn’t have stopped Arteta choosing the shortlist for player of the season.

Arsenal Direct is an official website for Arsenal apparel.

Post #548457  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:27 am 

Darren wrote:

With a name like Vieira can he be any good though ?

Post #548458  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:18 am 

warrior wrote:
Darren wrote:

I suggest you not ask a question about a name like Jesus. Because there is a history of that story not going well.

Post #548459  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
This should do it.

I’m still concerned

Well at 22....

Attachments:

Post #548460  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:48 am 

Ornstein has reported an official bid has been made by Arsenal for Raphinha. It is expected to be rejected as its well below Leeds’ valuation

Post #548461  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Apparently Jesus was on £90k a week at Manchester City. So if Arsenal are going to pay him £280k per week, that’s more than three times the salary he was on there? £190k (£280k - £90k) a week is nearly £10m (£9.88m) a year more than he was on City, the Premier League’s big spenders in recent years. Like you I can’t see him turning that down, if your figures are correct.

Harry Kane is on £200k a week, so we’ll be paying Gabriel Jesus £80k a week more than Tottenham pay Kane. That’s nearly £4.2m (£4.16m) a year more than Kane gets, who is arguably the best centre forward in the world.

If he isn’t a rip roaring success, Jesus will be another player we’ll struggle to get rid of. Let’s hope he is or Arteta and Edu will surely have questions to answer.

Hi Bernard,

That's crazy money for a player who still doesn't really know his best position. Is he a wide forward or is he a no.9, history suggests more of a wide forward.

I get the bit where it enables us to have a fluid attack, a la City, with the front three all interchangeable but it seems far too much for a player with a lot still to prove.

Post #548462  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:06 am 

Can anyone explain the rationale behind making this bid for Raphina so public?. We've obviously fed the info to our resident mouthpiece David Ornstein but how does making the info public help us?

Post #548463  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:20 am 

Post #548464  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 am 

socrates wrote:
Can anyone explain the rationale behind making this bid for Raphina so public?. We've obviously fed the info to our resident mouthpiece David Ornstein but how does making the info public help us?

I think the reason the club does this is to literally make the player and his agents aware the club have made a formal offer. If the player is pushing his club for a move it adds more pressure to the situation if he’s aware the clubs interest is very public . If you have an unwilling negotiator it kind of adds more pressure.

I can’t see that one happening personally. Tielemans similar, can you see Leicester selling us their best midfielder for just 25 million I can’t, you have an arrogant manager and an owner that doesn’t sell cheaply.

Post #548465  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Ornstein has reported an official bid has been made by Arsenal for Raphinha. It is expected to be rejected as its well below Leeds’ valuation

Saw a report that the offer was for £50m. Wonder what the hell Leeds’ valuation is if that falls ‘well below’ according to Ornstein?

Post #548466  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:55 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

That's crazy money for a player who still doesn't really know his best position. Is he a wide forward or is he a no.9, history suggests more of a wide forward.

I get the bit where it enables us to have a fluid attack, a la City, with the front three all interchangeable but it seems far too much for a player with a lot still to prove.

Also the report says his salary goes up by another million per annum if we qualify for the champions league. That’s huge money. I think it makes him the second or third highest paid Arsenal player of all time behind Özil and Aubameyang.

No wonder the player is so keen on the move. Him and his agent probably can’t believe it. The club can be certain of his arrival offering that type of contract. I doubt he would have got offered more than 2 thirds of that elsewhere. Saka needs to have a word about his salary now.

Post #548467  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think the reason the club does this is to literally make the player and his agents aware the club have made a formal offer. If the player is pushing his club for a move it adds more pressure to the situation if he’s aware the clubs interest is very public . If you have an unwilling negotiator it kind of adds more pressure.

I can’t see that one happening personally. Tielemans similar, can you see Leicester selling us their best midfielder for just 25 million I can’t, you have an arrogant manager and an owner that doesn’t sell cheaply.

Can't they just call or text the agent and let him now we've bid?

I can't see it happening, either, I think at his age he will be wanting CL football and rightly so, it's a short career.

We seemed to have cooled on Tielemans, are we waiting for an offer for another player to be accepted or declined?

Post #548468  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Also the report says his salary goes up by another million per annum if we qualify for the champions league. That’s huge money. I think it makes him the second or third highest paid Arsenal player of all time behind Özil and Aubameyang.

No wonder the player is so keen on the move. Him and his agent probably can’t believe it. The club can be certain of his arrival offering that type of contract. I doubt he would have got offered more than 2 thirds of that elsewhere. Saka needs to have a word about his salary now.

It must be bullshite because ther rest of the players will be well pissed off with that kind of salary. Different if you are signing a genuine worldclass talent who will win you trophies.

Post #548469  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Can't they just call or text the agent and let him now we've bid?

I can't see it happening, either, I think at his age he will be wanting CL football and rightly so, it's a short career.

I think it just adds more pressure on the seller. If leeds are digging their heels in about the price it kind throws up in the air the player wants to move and situation needs resolving. Then phase 2 where a compromise is reached.

I’d love us to get him though. I think he would start every game

Post #548470  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 am 

warrior wrote:

That's a :58big-emoticons: from me.

Well done that man.

Post #548471  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:05 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It must be bullshite because ther rest of the players will be well pissed off with that kind of salary. Different if you are signing a genuine worldclass talent who will win you trophies.

Id be surprised if it’s not true honestly. Football is ridiculous with money and those types of transfers seem driven by who offers the most skrilla

Post #548472  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Id be surprised if it’s not true honestly. Football is ridiculous with money and those types of transfers seem driven by who offers the most skrilla

Maybe. Bernard made a good point, it could be another Özil situation if it doesn't work out and we are left with a player on so much money we can't shift him.

£50m might seem a good price but a massive salary kind of negates that a bit.

Post #548473  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Saw a report that the offer was for £50m. Wonder what the hell Leeds’ valuation is if that falls ‘well below’ according to Ornstein?

We paid £50m for Ben White last year, an uncapped centre back. Raphinha has played and scored in some of Brazil's world cup qualifiers in the past 12 months. He's also a flashy player which inevitably increases the fee.

Post #548474  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:15 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

We paid £50m for Ben White last year, an uncapped centre back. Raphinha has played and scored in some of Brazil's world cup qualifiers in the past 12 months. He's also a flashy player which inevitably increases the fee.

Hi dec,

Only one year left on his deal though.

Post #548475  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:16 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Maybe. Bernard made a good point, it could be another Özil situation if it doesn't work out and we are left with a player on so much money we can't shift him.

£50m might seem a good price but a massive salary kind of negates that a bit.

Hi Soc,

That salary is well above what Jesus is worth. I know lots of people rate him, but I'm not convinced at all. Also, if we do sign him and with Vieira and the links to Raphinha, I think we are looking to play like Man City with Jesus being more of a false 9 than a centre forward. Not something I would be excited about.

Post #548476  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:18 am 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi dec,

Only one year left on his deal though.

Forgot about that. It certainly makes a big difference.

Post #548477  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
warrior wrote:

I suggest you not ask a question about a name like Jesus. Because there is a history of that story not going well.

He could be the man for a waterlogged pitch?

Post #548478  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
...Football is ridiculous with money and those types of transfers seem driven by who offers the most skrilla
Yes, clubs are not short of sugar these days. I don't blame any player getting as much as he can.

Post #548479  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

He could be the man for a waterlogged pitch?

? Bit like Steve Williams , sodden drenched downcast waterlogged leading us off after a 1-0 loss v York City in God Knows when 83 ? Having said that I liked Steve Williams he was a top of the line midfielder in the Souness Ball Hibbit Mackay Gemmill mould ... talented provider and a bit of a hard arse .
Par for the course I guess in those days when men were men These days the recipient copping a kick in the shin ; does five hundred forward rolls screaming and clutching his throat .

Post #548480  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:43 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
I don't blame any player getting as much as he can.

What sort of values have you got you Old Poofter ... Elvis Presley Johnny Cash Roy Orbison should desert Sam Phillips when some label offered $30 more a week

No wonder the world has gone to cack when you espouse such values ... we should applaud guys like Tony Adams Billy Bonds Matt Le Tisseur blokes who could have gone somewhere but stayed .

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13709, 13710, 13711, 13712, 13713, 13714, 13715 ... 14269  Next