Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #509321  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
People drone on about this player or that.

How true ..... Mancini , Hudson , Clichy , Brady , Williams , Mertesacker , Ljungberg .......... some people can be so unbelievably obsessed

Post #509322  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 am 

KirK Douglas finally calls it quits .... 103 not a bad innings . Spartacus , The Vikings , heaps of Westerns ....... Mr Cool in his day .

Post #509323  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:21 am 

We will end up with our worst record since the 90s but overall, the decision to get rid of Wenger was correct and overdue. Even with the possibility that had Wenger kept managing the side, we'd possibly be higher up the table. We were stagnant. There was always a possibility we'd be worse initially till things get better. I like the road we are currently on.

Post #509324  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Agree totally with you. I feel that both Aubameyang and Lacazette has lost interest in Arsenal. Those half-hearted attempts at goal are not coincidences. And I am tired to see Lacazette curled up in a ball whenever he is fouled. His theatrics reminds me of Giroud.
Hmm ... both French.

Whats your thoughts on Xhaka and Torriera? I feel that Xhaka makes us unbalanced. He is pretty slow and all the time when Guendouzi is playing he has to drop back and get the ball from the keeper. He should be breaking upfield to open up forward passes. But Xhaka's weakness means they do not trust him to get the ball first. His thought process is slow.

When torriera plays it often gets very ugly with balls distributed by the keeper to either of them. Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder. I know they don't grow on trees but everything gets bogged down after the keeper gets the ball. If he belts it up the field we don't seem to have any ability to win it - Guendouzi is a poor header, Torriera is too short and Özil and Wilock seem incapable of getting it. If the ball starts coming straight back at them it is easy to get around Xhaka with any player with speed.

Then the keeper plays it short to luis, Guendouzi or Xhaka - the first two are slow and easier to shut down. Luis and Xhaka will pass the ball to anyone including many players in a worse position. It happened with luis a number of times against Burnley. I think overall others have to cover for Xhaka's weaknesses and often provide additional cover - this means the go forward in the team is terrible in the midfield.

Xhaka is limited in his play. He has not done enough to be relied upon to launch offensive attacks. Torreira is useful to break opponent's attacks. But, similar to Xhaka (and Guendozi), has not s=done enough to be relied upon for that quick offensive play.

I don't like the playing out of goal routine. We are slow and nobody seems to know, or dare, to pass it forward. Almost everyone takes the safe path to pass backwards, or across.

Post #509325  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 am 

Isn't marriage great

...... after the illness I had last year my blood pressure has been a bit high ... so I decide to boil up some some soy beans they have tons of lecithin a great blood thinner .

Pot full of water , I put it on high to get some early action .

Hefty rum in hand I decide to check the Internet see what's happening in the world .

Half an hour later ..." Holy Mackeral what is that smell ...Aussie bush fires drifting across the Tasman ...?

Oh Jesus race to the kitchen ... pot red hot , smoke a metre thick from the ceiling .
I grab the pot , chuck it outside , turn off the element , open all the windows , ranch sliders etc .

Mrs Kiwi toddles out from the bedroom after a little lie down and read .... "What is that awful burning smell ".

Me ... a picture of innocence " think Dave next door is burning off some garden rubbish " .

So she races around closing all the doors and windows .... keeping the smell in ...about five minutes later the penny drops ...she accosts me ... eyes as big as saucers ...you lying SOB

Me ...... :icon_mrgreen:

Post #509326  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
People drone on about this player or that.

How true ..... Mancini , Hudson , Clichy , Brady , Williams , Mertesacker , Ljungberg .......... some people can be so unbelievably obsessed

Look who’s talking!

Post #509327  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Look who’s talking!

:laughing7: is that your best response ... debating was never your forte

Post #509328  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Perhaps I just don’t find debating with you interesting enough to bother with?

Post #509329  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 am 

Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Post #509330  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Whats your thoughts on Xhaka and Torriera? I feel that Xhaka makes us unbalanced. He is pretty slow and all the time when Guendouzi is playing he has to drop back and get the ball from the keeper. He should be breaking upfield to open up forward passes. But Xhaka's weakness means they do not trust him to get the ball first. His thought process is slow.

When torriera plays it often gets very ugly with balls distributed by the keeper to either of them. Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder. I know they don't grow on trees but everything gets bogged down after the keeper gets the ball. If he belts it up the field we don't seem to have any ability to win it - Guendouzi is a poor header, Torriera is too short and Özil and Wilock seem incapable of getting it. If the ball starts coming straight back at them it is easy to get around Xhaka with any player with speed.

Then the keeper plays it short to luis, Guendouzi or Xhaka - the first two are slow and easier to shut down. Luis and Xhaka will pass the ball to anyone including many players in a worse position. It happened with luis a number of times against Burnley. I think overall others have to cover for Xhaka's weaknesses and often provide additional cover - this means the go forward in the team is terrible in the midfield.

Xhaka is limited in his play. He has not done enough to be relied upon to launch offensive attacks. Torreira is useful to break opponent's attacks. But, similar to Xhaka (and Guendozi), has not s=done enough to be relied upon for that quick offensive play.

I don't like the playing out of goal routine. We are slow and nobody seems to know, or dare, to pass it forward. Almost everyone takes the safe path to pass backwards, or across.

As a short term measure until like of Willock & Guendouzi are really ready, I wonder if it's worthwhile to get either or both(!) of Rakitic and Vidal who are no longer first choice at Barcelona it seems.

Post #509331  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Perhaps I just don’t find debating with you interesting enough to bother with?

Fair point ...... I wouldn't either if I was getting my butt whipped on every ocassion ....NZ 23 Germany 0 :6encouragement: :brushteeth: Night night

Post #509332  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am 

The new Nigeria home kit is super nice.

Post #509333  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Fair point ...... I wouldn't either if I was getting my butt whipped on every ocassion ....NZ 23 Germany 0 :6encouragement: :brushteeth: Night night

You presumably did that post so that you can consider yourself as having the last word. It’ll be interesting to see if this post by me makes you respond again.

Post #509334  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:35 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

As a short term measure until like of Willock & Guendouzi are really ready, I wonder if it's worthwhile to get either or both(!) of Rakitic and Vidal who are no longer first choice at Barcelona it seems.

I like Torreira but his first touch is almost always too heavy and his passing limited. But it is the predictability of our play from the back that is killing us more than the personnel.

Post #509335  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:41 am 

Goonie wrote:

Looks like one of those "tear to open here" boxes that never works.

Post #509336  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.

Post #509337  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.

Hmm. Allegedly is the key word here. It looks like unsubstantiated malicious gossip.

https://www.indy100.com/article/natalie ... od-9320756

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2020/02/06 ... g-the-lie/

Post #509338  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm 

Cup game at Portsmouth will be played on the evening of Monday 2nd March 19:45 - it'll be shown on BT Sports

Post #509339  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I am Spartacus

No - I am Spartacus!

Post #509340  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:52 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hmmm..still prefer this one.

Attachments:

Post #509341  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm 

Attachment:

Greeny wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
No - I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus, and so is my wife!

The one and only... :angel8:

Post #509342  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

You presumably did that post so that you can consider yourself as having the last word. It’ll be interesting to see if this post by me makes you respond again.

:12hello-bye: Happy to oblige ; in order to keep your social experiment humming

....... although frankly a debate with you is like trying to explain how a turbocharger works to a three year old .

NZ 24 Germany 0

Post #509343  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:49 pm 

I recall many years ago we were hammering Pompey there maybe up 5-1 or whatever and they were still singing their hearts out. I was very impressed with their support.
Vacationing in Asia, I met a guy from Portsmouth who told me about their rivalry with Soton and how it actually was an extension of the shipping industry and jobs. Very interesting.

Post #509344  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am Spartacus

You'll also find Google spouting Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated Kennedy even though 61% of Americans think that is horsesh*t .

I've no idea whether that is true or false but plenty of young actresses were quite happy to use their bodies to make it in the movie business .

Post #509345  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

....... although frankly a debate with you is like trying to explain how a turbocharger works to a three year old .

NZ 24 Germany 0

I suppose being a social experiment is your main asset.

Post #509346  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:01 am 

Zed wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I actually prefer their all dark green away 2018 WC kit. Nike's efforts with us was not that bad either, especially from 2000.

Post #509347  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 am 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:

I actually prefer their all dark green away 2018 WC kit. Nike's efforts with us was not that bad either, especially from 2000.

Well yeah....but I like the pattern on this one. It was an overnight best seller.

Post #509348  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:32 am 

I imagine many are aware of this.... :8surprise:
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/06/arsenal- ... -12195811/

Post #509349  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 am 

Hmmm...on the face of it I wouldn't support Wenger's return for two reasons. First, Wenger is autocratic in his demeanor. What role would he play? Sporting director? Or whatever? I can't see it working. I could see a place on the board possibly as an advocate for us since Kroenke respects him. Second, why? Bringing Wenger back is good for Wenger possibly but I fail to see why he's needed.

If any one at the club would like his input or advice, Arteta including, why pay him for it. Call him and ask his opinion. He'd be happy to give it for free. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #509350  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

NZ 24 Germany 0

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: NZ 25 Germany 0

Post #509351  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:24 am 

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Well yeah....but I like the pattern on this one. It was an overnight best seller.

I hope Adidas follow up on the good work of this season's kit. It would be a nice touch for next season's kit to pay homage to our 1990/91 season.

Post #509352  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 am 

Zed wrote:

:laughing7: Metro had a gap in their sports section ... " Quick Coral [ the writer ] help us out here , concoct a page filler " .

Considering most Arsenal fans wanted Wenger to take a coaching role somewhere in the middle of the Kalahari Desert .... this quote

"The Arsenal board think Wenger’s return would serve as a boost to the fans and increase the support for Arteta." ......... is the equivalent of a supertanker of horsesh*t .

Arsene has had his day in the sun ; lost his mojo completely . I'd say he is too fosilised in his views to be of any help to anyone .

I'd prefer to see George Graham back at Arsenal than Wenger at least he'd sort out the defence .

Lovely sporting moment the other day in the cricket ... Kane Williamson , Kiwi skipper watching the match sideline with opposing captain Virat Kohli .

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-news ... 2020-02-03

Never seen that before

Post #509353  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:35 am 

Regarding Wenger, either he has turned down jobs that he thinks is below his level or he's not been contacted for many jobs. Somewhere inbetween?
Longer he goes without a managerial job the harder it is to get a good one.

Post #509354  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:44 am 

Zed wrote:

How about Wenger writes his book first. Probably just a load of rubbish this report. If I found out it was true and Arteta actually believed that the fans would welcome Wenger back then I would know he has no f...en clue at all and he would have to go.

Post #509355  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:18 am 

If the club want Wenger back, it's probably for his connections to French and to some extent African football. Like Edu for his Brazil's connections.

Post #509356  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:06 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: NZ 25 Germany 0

Sounds like a rugby score. Wouldn’t be a football score.

Post #509357  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:06 am 

Lallana is a free agent in the summer, he’s 31, fits the bill of the sort of creative, ball playing attacking midfielder we need. He has the high work rate and press from working with Klopp. If we need to push money in to other positions in the team he could be an ok short term free transfer

Post #509358  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:14 am 

Fabregas is "only" 32. :7laughter:

Post #509359  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 am 

If we're looking at a try before you buy with Cédric, because he's a free transfer the summer then we should also be looking at Meuiner, he's spent a fair amount of time at PSG and in the Belgian national team, right-back, 28 and on paper better than Cédric

Post #509360  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 am 

In an effort to sort out contracts and stop us having valuable players run them down and leave for free, the new hierarchy at the cub said a decision would be made on each player with only 2 years left on his deal (the decision presumably being to sell or give a new contract) the only exception were players running in towards retirement where their value to us as a player was more than any value we get from selling them for a pitance

So players with only 12 months left in the summer are:
Aubamayang
Özil
Sokratis
Luiz
Mustafi

Players who will have 2 years left in the summer are:
Lacazette
Guendouzi
Kolasinac
Chambers
Ntekiah
Martinez

How many of those 11 would you give a new deal to?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12731, 12732, 12733, 12734, 12735, 12736, 12737 ... 14269  Next