Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 187 guests

Post #492281  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Iwobi lost far more possession than any other player. He appears to have reverted to his old form.

God help us on Sunday..................

Perform against spursas we did v Liverpool and we’ll be more than ok.
I think against better teams the use of Aubameyang on the wide left can work.

Post #492282  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 pm 

Thought we deserved the win today. Bournemouth dominated possession early, but Arsenal got stronger as the first half progressed. That made it frustrating when Bournemouth equalised as the first half came to its close. In the second half I felt we were comfortably the better team. So taking the whole game into account, I believe Arsenal were worthy of the three points.

Post #492283  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm 

Just watched extended highlights & a good result at a difficult place to play. We wasted some good chances & if we could become more clinical we would do even better.

Post #492284  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 pm 

Bottom half of the table is really tight. After a great win at Wolverhampton, Huddersfield have gone up to 14th place. However, they're only two points ahead of the bottom club Fulham.

Post #492285  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bottom half of the table is really tight. After a great win at Wolverhampton, Huddersfield have gone up to 14th place. However, they're only two points ahead of the bottom club Fulham.

Yes. It's incredibly close. You have 7 or 8 weak teams. In my view, it is a very poor league. The bottom half teams are doing incredibly badly against the top 5.

Man U are doing their best to be mid-table - 14 points off the top of the table and 13 points off the bottom.

Post #492286  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:46 pm 

I do find that MOTD has an agenda based on how they want the match to be viewed by the neutral.
They showed arsenal go 2-1 up then showed every single chance Bournemouth had making it look like they pummelled us for the final 20 mins and we were lucky to win. They didn’t show the chance Mkhitaryan had when he went through 1v1 and miskicked

Post #492287  Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I didn’t say he had a bad game I thought for 70 minutes he did well. But composure ain’t his thing and when the time comes to do an absolute brain fart it’s always him. I wished he had Kosielnys composure

Yep. That's it. His general play is quite good but he does stupid things. He goes to ground and dives into tackles far too frequently. He was the one sitting on his arse playing the Bournemouth attacker onside for their disallowed goal.

Post #492288  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:38 am 

A trip to Ukraine on Thursday, the 90 minutes isn’t the problem it is the 10 hour round journey. We need to play Martinez, jenkinson, Pleguezuela, medley, AMN, Elneny, willock, Emile Smith Rowe, Nketiah and another couple of youngsters

Post #492289  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:15 am 

Rich wrote:
A trip to Ukraine on Thursday, the 90 minutes isn’t the problem it is the 10 hour round journey. We need to play Martinez, jenkinson, Pleguezuela, medley, AMN, Elneny, willock, Emile Smith Rowe, Nketiah and another couple of youngsters

I agree. If we get punished just suck it up. However those that remain must perform in the EPL.

Post #492290  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am 

Interesting to see Emery’s comments on why Özil was left on the bench. He spoke about intensity and physicality. Surely we don’t have one of the highest paid players in the league who our manager can only play when the sun is shining and we are likely to dominate games?!

That No.10 role has such an important defensive role, particularly against the better teams. Look at how Sigurdsson and Alli nullified Jorginho and totally stifled Chelsea through their hard work in that 10 position. I just can’t see Özil doing that at all.

Do we have too many players who are excellent but one dimensional and a bit outdated?

Post #492291  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I didn’t say he had a bad game I thought for 70 minutes he did well. But composure ain’t his thing and when the time comes to do an absolute brain fart it’s always him. I wished he had Kosielnys composure

Yep. That's it. His general play is quite good but he does stupid things. He goes to ground and dives into tackles far too frequently. He was the one sitting on his arse playing the Bournemouth attacker onside for their disallowed goal.

I like Mustafi. A bit like Kolo Toure without Sol Campbell, but less endearing.

Post #492292  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:12 pm 

Henry and Wright took 40 games to reach 20 prem league goals. Aubameyang has reached 20 prem goals in 31 games

Post #492293  Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Henry and Wright took 40 games to reach 20 prem league goals. Aubameyang has reached 20 prem goals in 31 games

Those are impressive stats. Aubameyang has shown he's a quality goalscorer although has some way to go to reach the heights of Wright and Henry. Here's hoping he can one day be spoken about in the same way as those two bona fide club legends.

Post #492294  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Those are impressive stats. Aubameyang has shown he's a quality goalscorer although has some way to go to reach the heights of Wright and Henry. Here's hoping he can one day be spoken about in the same way as those two bona fide club legends.

TH14 is very talented. Confident, strong presence of mind, driven, assured on his feet and accurate. Aubameyang seems to doubt himself or his team-mates.

Post #492295  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am 

Is it time for Ramsey to be put back in the starting 11?

Post #492296  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm 

Ramsey works for me as a starter or as an instant igniter off the bench. The contract dispute wasn't about his quality just the amount.
I'm going to miss him when he goes.

Post #492297  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 pm 

Rich wrote:

What makes you think that, Rich?

Post #492298  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Only on the basis that Emery doesn’t see Özil starting certain games, the reason Özil isn’t starting are because he lacks attributes that Ramsey has. Also the poor form of Mkhitaryan, he is really lacking a goal or assist threat.....which is something Ramsey has generally always had even when his 90 minutes might have been below par

Post #492299  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm 

Mike Dean reffing the N London derby. God help us all.

I fully expect a spurs penalty at some point for a dele Ali or Kane dive in the box

Post #492300  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:00 pm 

The talk is about us not losing for a number of matches in all competitions but as far as I can tell, City have only lost once in all competitions this season thus far. Pretty amazing. I have zero respect for them because its all been bought but still, its a pretty good feat thus far.

Post #492301  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
. I have zero respect for them because its all been bought but still, its a pretty good feat thus far.

Guardiola will be devastated.

Post #492302  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Only on the basis that Emery doesn’t see Özil starting certain games, the reason Özil isn’t starting are because he lacks attributes that Ramsey has. Also the poor form of Mkhitaryan, he is really lacking a goal or assist threat.....which is something Ramsey has generally always had even when his 90 minutes might have been below par

Our main sources of creativity are Özil and Mkhitaryan. We do need creativity in the team for most, if not all, games. Personally my choice for the most important games is Özil. At their respective worst Özil and Mkhitaryan are about as bad as each other. But at both their best, Özil is miles better than Mkhitaryan. Sorry, I don't see Ramsey as anywhere near them in terms of creativity.

Post #492303  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Our main sources of creativity are Özil and Mkhitaryan. We do need creativity in the team for most, if not all, games. Personally my choice for the most important games is Özil. At their respective worst Özil and Mkhitaryan are about as bad as each other. But at both their best, Özil is miles better than Mkhitaryan. Sorry, I don't see Ramsey as anywhere near them in terms of creativity.

Agree completely but would add that he needs to be given a completely free role to roam and play wherever he thinks he can do the most damage.

If it doesn't work then he can be hooked.

Post #492304  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree on Ramsey Bernard.

just looked up his assist record out of interest. In the last 5 years he’s contributed 26 assists in the league. A little more than 5 a season whilst being our box to box midfielder when not being played further forward , your not winning a title with a player like that in your team and I think it’s an absolute myth he’s some kind of regular match winner for us.

Post #492305  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I agree on Ramsey Bernard.

just looked up his assist record out of interest. In the last 5 years he’s contributed 26 assists in the league. A little more than 5 a season whilst being our box to box midfielder when not being played further forward , your not winning a title with a player like that in your team and I think it’s an absolute myth he’s some kind of regular match winner for us.

My thoughts on bringing Ramsey back in is not in place of both Özil and Mkhitaryan, as I agree on the creativity front but in some games and on current form I think ramsey can be more appropriate than Mkhitaryan for example.

Post #492306  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:32 pm 

Maybe it's just me, but I think Mkhitaryan is taking far too much stick and hasn't been half as bad as people have bern saying. I'm not talking about this forum particularly where the debate is generally a cut above, but certainly on twitter I'm seeing a lot of it.
At Bournemouth I thought he worked hard, particularly second half, without anything really going for him.

Post #492307  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm 

Personally I think Mkhitaryan has been poor for last 2/3games on Sunday his decision making was off and poor control let him down in front of goal, his goal against Wolves was a fluke.

Post #492308  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I think Mkhitaryan is taking far too much stick and hasn't been half as bad as people have bern saying. I'm not talking about this forum particularly where the debate is generally a cut above, but certainly on twitter I'm seeing a lot of it.
At Bournemouth I thought he worked hard, particularly second half, without anything really going for him.

Agree largely with this. I'm a big believer in that you worry about players more when they're not getting involved at all rather than when they're missing chances. His touch can be very inconsistent and some of the misses against Bournemouth were bad, but he's involved in scoring chances every time he plays. Think he's a fine player.

Post #492309  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

He’s a frustrating player because he works hard and the way he moves as we build up an attack in sync with the other players is good it’s just that he seems to lack a bit of technical ability to create enough assists or score enough goals.

He reminds me a little of Robert Pires but without the technical ability to score and win matches by himself.

He falls into the Welbeck category for me as a very useful player to have in a squad but probably not worth the salary he’s paid and probably not a regular in any side with title aspirations.

Post #492310  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm 

Oh and the chance on the break he missed in the second half that would have put us 3 -1 up was criminal as it was the game on a stick and seemed to sum up why people get a little frustrated with him

Post #492311  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:07 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
Personally I think Mkhitaryan has been poor for last 2/3games on Sunday his decision making was off and poor control let him down in front of goal, his goal against Wolves was a fluke.

That's fair enough Draytonkid it's clear he's struggling for a bit of form - but I still think that over the season he can contribute a lot. As Haz infers he doesn't hide and has shown in the past he has quality.

Post #492312  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

He’s a frustrating player because he works hard and the way he moves as we build up an attack in sync with the other players is good it’s just that he seems to lack a bit of technical ability to create enough assists or score enough goals.

He reminds me a little of Robert Pires but without the technical ability to score and win matches by himself.

He falls into the Welbeck category for me as a very useful player to have in a squad but probably not worth the salary he’s paid and probably not a regular in any side with title aspirations.

Again reasonable summation TG - if a little harsh in my opinion. He is definitely a useful squad player, which obviously we need, while not being one of our outstanding talents like the two strikers. I still like him anyway, a good work ethic and a team player.

Post #492313  Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Again reasonable summation TG - if a little harsh in my opinion. He is definitely a useful squad player, which obviously we need, while not being one of our outstanding talents like the two strikers. I still like him anyway, a good work ethic and a team player.

He is only okay but much more creative than Ramsay & he puts in an effort. He is not just turning up trying to avoid injury so he is available for any free transfer in the summer.

Post #492314  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 am 

Imagine going to an away match and then having a petrol bomb thrown at you while you are in the away end....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-violence

Post #492315  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm 

There is a funny interview with szczesney and fabianksi about their time at arsenal and the poor standard of gk coaching from Gerry Peyton. The two joke how his advice on facing hazard penalties was “hazard will try to put it to the other side than you dive”

To think we put up with this sub standard coaching for so long. Wenger stuck with far too many staff and players through loyalty, there was no requirement to improve or reach high standards. Still quite shocking to hear the stories when they come out that confirm what fans were concerned with for the last 10 years

Post #492316  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is a funny interview with szczesney and fabianksi about their time at arsenal and the poor standard of gk coaching from Gerry Peyton. The two joke how his advice on facing hazard penalties was “hazard will try to put it to the other side than you dive”

To think we put up with this sub standard coaching for so long. Wenger stuck with far too many staff and players through loyalty, there was no requirement to improve or reach high standards. Still quite shocking to hear the stories when they come out that confirm what fans were concerned with for the last 10 years

The quotes are simply hysterical, it’s like a sketch from the fast show. When he said he shoots here and there but do whatever you want.

I vaguely recall that Peyton got the job ahead of a certain Mr David Seaman as Bob Wilson was at loggerheads at the club about it. Wenger hated employing successful ex players fearing their status and assessment could be a threat to him.

The amount of players who have been critical after he left is startling but nothing we didn’t know. The club was put in Cyro stasis whilst he hung around.

Post #492317  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

The quotes are simply hysterical, it’s like a sketch from the fast show. When he said he shoots here and there but do whatever you want.

I vaguely recall that Peyton got the job ahead of a certain Mr David Seaman as Bob Wilson was at loggerheads at the club about it. Wenger hated employing successful ex players fearing their status and assessment could be a threat to him.

The amount of players who have been critical after he left is startling but nothing we didn’t know. The club was put in Cyro stasis whilst he hung around.

We have been saying things of such for so long. Wenger had been holding the club back for to long.

Post #492318  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 pm 

The story about Carl Jenkinson’s own goal is really funny

Post #492319  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 pm 

Saw this today and it amazed me a bit.......In the Invincibles season, the line up of Lehmann, Lauren, Cole, Campbell, Toure, Gilberto, Vieira, Ljungberg, Pires, Bergkamp and Henry started just two games together.

That 11 rolls of the tongue and I was under the impression that it was such a fixed 11 and we had some good fortune with injuries and a settled side in that season

Post #492320  Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saw this today and it amazed me a bit.......In the Invincibles season, the line up of Lehmann, Lauren, Cole, Campbell, Toure, Gilberto, Vieira, Ljungberg, Pires, Bergkamp and Henry started just two games together.

That 11 rolls of the tongue and I was under the impression that it was such a fixed 11 and we had some good fortune with injuries and a settled side in that season

So looking at those names & then looking at Walcott, Wilshire & Ramsay and please explain how Wenger thought in his mind they were worthy of being regulars. In fact most of them were undroppable. Not sure how it all went wrong. Did he stop having the ability to identify talent.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12305, 12306, 12307, 12308, 12309, 12310, 12311 ... 14292  Next