Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dec, Decaf, warrior and 25 guests

Post #493201  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:12 am 

We must get maximum points from the Burnley and BHA games. Anything less will be morale sapping to the team. To me, Aubameyang seemed to have lost self-belief and perhaps, in his team-mates too. Heads are down, and there is no Captain to get it up. Sadly, same old problem.

Kos is clearly not up to playing top level now. Slow to the ball, and physically out-muscled easily. I think a huge part of it is psychological after returning from injury, but age is certainly catching up.

Post #493202  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:42 am 

Niall wrote:
Hopefully we can shift Özil in the January window which I'd like to assume would give us some money to spend with his wages off the rota. Whilst I've enjoyed Özil in an Arsenal shirt his goals and assist numbers have tailed off and frankly I was very disappointed with his role in Southamptons 3rd goal at the weekend. Any midfielder worth his salt should know not to play fast and loose with possession in such a dangerous turnover area on the pitch. It looks like his time is up anyway.

Move Özil out, he has become a passenger in the team

Post #493203  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 am 

The Özil situation is becoming farcical. It seems clear there is a lot going on behind the scenes and to leave your highest paid player out of the squad for tactical reasons seems an incredibly ruthless decision bearing in mind we don't exactly have a plethora of topclass players to pick from.

Post #493204  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 am 

No idea why Lacazette isn't starting, he's been one of our best, if not the best, players this season yet finds himself on the bench. He's not quite worldclass but he's still an excellent player in the context of who else we have to choose from and should be starting.

Post #493205  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am 

Leno, Bellerin, Mustafi, Sokratis, Monreal, Xhaka, Torreira, Özil, Ramsey, Aubamayang, Lacazette.

Especially in home games that is the side I'd like to see us play

Post #493206  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:56 am 

For Arsenal to get back to the very top we effectively need to do what Liverpool and Spurs have done in the past 5 years.
Get rid of the chaff from the squad
Be brilliant at recruitment turning bargains in to top class players (robertson, alli)
Sign great players at bargain prices (shaqiri, Eriksen)
Sign top class players to supplement those bargains (van dijk, allison)
Bring through young players (gomez, TAA, Winks)
Be able to sell high and replace effectively (coutinho, Walker)

Within all of that recruitment I'd say you need to have at least a 75% success rate.

Looking at the age profile of our squad and thinking this should be a 3-5 year project you need to build the squad around: Leno, Bellerin, Mavropanos, Holding, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Iwobi, Lacazette. Kolasinac, Mustafi, Elneny are the right age but I'm not convinced any of them are good enough and I'm not sure where we are generating that much money from sales

Hopefully that bunch above can be supplemented by Nelson, Emile Smith Rowe, Medley, Saka, Willock but to even get 2 of the current youth team in the first team squad proper would be an amazing achievement.

You really are looking at £200m worth of investment in the squad(!) and that is even shopping in the bargain range

Post #493207  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:26 am 

Rich wrote:

You really are looking at £200m worth of investment in the squad(!) and that is even shopping in the bargain range

I was about to post something similar. I think we need 4 new players

left back
centre half
New no10 (De bruyne type)
New winger (coman type with pace)

You won’t get much change out of 200 million for that lot and the only money we seem to be able to recoup is 25 million or so for Özil as Welbeck and Ramsey will be free transfers away. Then consider that ast is saying the club will announce a 70 million loss.

How is the club going to get this essential money to Emery ? I just don’t see how we can compete short term.

Wenger and Gazidis have made disastrous transfer decisions which have meant we haven’t retained the full value of our squad when players have left. Ramsey should have been pushed out last summer, Sanchez the summer before.

Not trying to depress folks but even with the new addidas money I can’t see how we can compete unless Emery and Mislintat bring in some amazing bargains

Post #493208  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
You won’t get much change out of 200 million for that lot and the only money we seem to be able to recoup is 25 million or so for Özil as Welbeck and Ramsey will be free transfers away. Then consider that ast is saying the club will announce a 70 million loss.

How is the club going to get this essential money to Emery ? I just don’t see how we can compete short term.

I strongly suspect Arsenal's self-financing strategy has as much, if not more, to do with providing Stan Kroenke with an excuse for not sticking his hand in his own pocket than a moral rationale for not being or becoming financially 'doped'.

People can spend as much time and energy as they like suggesting we need a top class central defender (and with Koscielny now a footballing old age pensioner in apparent decline we do), a dribbling winger, a left back and creative attacking player as they like. But getting them will mainly either fall on Mislintat finding dirt cheap options in the transfer market or youngsters like Medley and Nelson hitting the heights. I'm sorry but I'm not going to include Smith Rowe in that shortlist, as I'm struggling to see the potential for him getting to the required level.

Post #493209  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I strongly suspect Arsenal's self-financing strategy has as much, if not more, to do with providing Stan Kroenke with an excuse for not sticking his hand in his own pocket than a moral rationale for not being or becoming financially 'doped'.

People can spend as much time and energy as they like suggesting we need a top class central defender (and with Koscielny now a footballing old age pensioner in apparent decline we do), a dribbling winger, a left back and creative attacking player as they like. But getting them will mainly either fall on Mislintat finding dirt cheap options in the transfer market or youngsters like Medley and Nelson hitting the heights. I'm sorry but I'm not going to include Smith Rowe in that shortlist, as I'm struggling to see the potential for him getting to the required level.

We need to become more like Dortmund :58big-emoticons:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/manuelveth ... c6c4a02e5d

Post #493210  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The chances of one of the young players becoming of the required level is minimal. Didn’t Wenger say Jack Wilshere was a miracle Ie a player born within 10 miles of the training ground good enough to play midfield in the premiership.

Emile Smith Rowe shouldn’t be written off at 18 years old but you won’t really be able to judge his potential for another 4 years. We’ve done the whole yoof thing before though and it bit us on the arse. I think your right but Kroenke needs to find a way of getting enough finance for Emery to obtain 3 or 4 world class players as nelson and co won’t be winning games againest top 4 sides for a while yet.

Post #493211  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

We need to become more like Dortmund :58big-emoticons:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/manuelveth ... c6c4a02e5d

There’s no doubt they seem to get something right for them as a club. They seem to understand where the club sits in the football hierarchy and are content with it adopting a policy of paying reasonably and acquiring talent for the right prices.

Post #493212  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 am 

Absolutely hate losing to Spurs but not that bothered about going out the cup.
We were not going to win it away with having to get past City.
Infuriating how Mikitaryan misses that chance.
If he opens up his body and goes far post its a goal , cant understand why he went near post.
just makes it so easy for their keeper. If that goes in its a different game.
If we are serious about finishing top 4 we simply must strengthen.
I don't believe you do need 200 million.
If Mislantat does his homework why can we not get players like Torreira for 20 to 25 million under the radar.
It is definitely possible. If we are clever we can compete and strengthen centre half , winger and full backs for around 80 to 100 million.
There are bargains out there to be had.
Show Özil the door if Emery doesn't fancy him, That 350.000 supplements 4 players wages.
We need to give Medley a go.
He looks very composed. How we going to know what he is like if we don't give him a go.

Post #493213  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am 

Watched the Sunderland documentary, absolutely brilliant. The lad came in for the last 2 episodes and not knowing Sunderland went down started cheering every time they scored! Good tip Kiwi, thanks.

Post #493214  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:31 am 

socrates wrote:

You have to admit the 21 game unbeaten run contained more than an element of good fortune along the way and papered over a few cracks.

?

You don't win 21 games on the trot through good fortune. With the exception of the Man City game and possibly the Chelsea game we have been the better team in every match we played.

Post #493215  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 pm 

Would anyone take Juan Mata on a free this summer? Considering our limited budget we are going to have to make a few cheap signings to incrementally improve the squad. I think he'd be a decent shout to add some creativity

Post #493216  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:48 pm 

Zidane is an obvious target and so is Poch as well. He's well overdue for a shot at a major job.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/46627367

ottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is the only name on Manchester United's list to replace Jose Mourinho. United are prepared to pay £42m in compensation to get the Argentine.

Former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane is considering an offer from Manchester United to be their next permanent manager

Post #493217  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm 

If we had to lose it would have been better for morale if it were decided by penalties. Oh well. One thing for sure. The defense has to be priority number one in the next couple transfer windows. Not that the attack can't improve, even City are looking or more attackers I have read, but with us if you look at the goals against in the top 6 clubs we are way more than the others.

I'm sure Emery knows this, I'm sure the club knows this (about our defense). We bought stop gaps, not long term and we need to start making a Sol Campbell-esque signing or two. Not just in quality as well but some leadership back there.

Post #493218  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
Would anyone take Juan Mata on a free this summer? Considering our limited budget we are going to have to make a few cheap signings to incrementally improve the squad. I think he'd be a decent shout to add some creativity

He’s the type of player we need albeit slightly past his best. Someone who can play incisive final balls in the final third and score goals.

I think we are really missing Cazorla since he left and if the Ox was still with us he would have played plenty of games this year if he hadn’t been injured.

Post #493219  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 pm 

Overall, its a great season for us so far. No one likes to lose at home to Sperz but Emery has reinvigorated the club. If he can do what he's done so far with the defense we have and that little money spent, I can only imagine how we will be after a few transfer periods to get the players that best fit his methods and he's stamped his style on the squad where its second nature.

If Poch goes to Man Utd it's no guarantee they will win. That job has been 'cursed' for the most part.

Post #493220  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:25 pm 

Overall, its a great season for us so far. No one likes to lose at home to Sperz but Emery has reinvigorated the club. If he can do what he's done so far with the defense we have and that little money spent, I can only imagine how we will be after a few transfer periods to get the players that best fit his methods and he's stamped his style on the squad where its second nature.

If Poch goes to Man Utd it's no guarantee they will win. That job has been 'cursed' for the most part.

Post #493221  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:34 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

You have to admit the 21 game unbeaten run contained more than an element of good fortune along the way and papered over a few cracks.
?

You don't win 21 games on the trot through good fortune. With the exception of the Man City game and possibly the Chelsea game we have been the better team in every match we played.

I agree with you Gunfire. Despite a few unimpressive first halves in particular, in my view last night was the first game since the initial couple when we weren't the best side. Having said that, I'll emphasise that despite missing some chances (Mkhitaryan's was a sitter), I thought Tottenham were comfortably the better team yesterday. I'm not sure that 0-2 flattered them.

Post #493222  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:55 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

?

Not sure I agree with that. We've been the better side in most of the second halves but mediocre to poor in most of the first halves. Had our opponents taken advantage of some big chances they've squandered in those periods where we were well below par then we could have been looking at some different results. In any unbeaten run you inevitably need a little good fortune but my point is that we've ridden our luck perhaps more than would be normal in that kind of run and it has papered over some of the cracks that are just beginning to re-surface.

Post #493223  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I agree with you Gunfire. Despite a few unimpressive first halves in particular, in my view last night was the first game since the initial couple when we weren't the best side. Having said that, I'll emphasise that despite missing some chances (Mkhitaryan's was a sitter), I thought Tottenham were comfortably the better team yesterday. I'm not sure that 0-2 flattered them.

I thought Tottenham toyed with us for the first half an hour, after which we were the better side albeit our final ball and end product were poor. However, we conceded two really amateurish sloppy goals again and you just can't get away with it against a good side.

Post #493224  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
It does my head in ... Lichsteiner Monreal Bellerin Jenkinson canter forward with great intent ................. pause .... then make the safe pass twenty metres back .
:blob9: :blob9: What the f*** does that achieve . The whole idea is attack at pace .

Welcome back. To be fair I think we are getting the ball forward more quickly this season, even if it isn't as quickly as you'd like. Torreira and Guendouzi both look to pass the ball forward, even though they sometimes put it sideways or backwards when keeping possession demands it. I think that applies to more players than them, too. Compare things to how it was under Wenger when it took pass moves of around thirty to get the ball into the opposition half, let alone anywhere near the goal.

Thanks Bernard ..... :laughing7: to be honest I was fairly smashed when I made that observation .
On Torriera and Guendouzi you are quite right but there is a smidgeon of truth in my ravings .

Watching yesterday's match if Mik had buried that chance and Ramsay's had gone in Spurs might have folded but in the general I thought their passing and off the ball movement was a lot better than ours and I think we'd improve considerably if we canned this habit of passing back to the goalkeeper under the slightest of pressure .

Post #493225  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
In any unbeaten run you inevitably need a little good fortune but my point is that we've ridden our luck perhaps more than would be normal in that kind of run and it has papered over some of the cracks that are just beginning to re-surface.

:53big-emoticons: very good Soc ...exactly the point I was trying to make the other night when I dribbling rum all over the keyboard .

Post #493226  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
...Ings . Long , Austin ...they've got three John Radford's coming at us ...and we've got Gus Caesar , Pascal Cygan and Nelson Vivas defending.

:58big-emoticons:
Welcome back Kiwi. Have missed your considered understated analyses of our performances.
I didn't think Nelson Vivas was too bad.

Me neither Brom ... when he was played at full back but didn't Arsene chuck him in as a central defender a couple of times , makes a lot of sense at 5' 8" .

Wasn't Nelson blamed for ducking out of a header that let Hasselbank score ; gave Leeds a 1 - 0 win over us couple of games from the end of season and cost us the league title that year ..... ?

EDIT ... I see that aging old tennis heart throb with his Ken Rosewall wooden racquet ; Long Time makes the same point .

Post #493227  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 pm 

john1 wrote:

Unfortunately I was there and remember it all too well.

What really sticks in my mind from that though was the extreme glee the Leeds fans showed, despite their victory handing the title to their arch rivals. I couldn't get my head round that then, and can't even now.

So we win our penultimate game of the season against someone, thus effectively awarding the title to Sp*rs??? No, never, no way Jose.

And absolutely yes, welcome back Kiwipete

Thanks John ...... It was O' Leary's comments post match that stuck in my craw ... asked did he feel any sympathy for his former club ..... "None at all "

Post #493228  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I think we were 2nd best v wolves, but broadly agree that we’ve been the better team in most games.
The defence having been crippled with injuries hasn’t helped as we aren’t water right at the best of times

Post #493229  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 pm 

Niall wrote:
Watched the Sunderland documentary, absolutely brilliant. The lad came in for the last 2 episodes and not knowing Sunderland went down started cheering every time they scored! Good tip Kiwi, thanks.

Thanks Niall [ Dec was going to have a look ] coupled with the disappearance of the shipyards , mining gives the programme a lot more substance . Most of the town looks to the club for a little glimmer of enjoyment .

A documentary on a Fancy Dan club with a ton of $$$$$$$$$ who have never experienced adversity wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact .

A whole year without a win at home , successive relegations ...... and we had the nerve to moan about Wenger :1laughter:

Post #493230  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

He’s the type of player we need albeit slightly past his best. Someone who can play incisive final balls in the final third and score goals.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm sure we have a guy who possesses those attributes and is significantly better than Mata.

Post #493231  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm sure we have a guy who possesses those attributes and is significantly better than Mata.

At this point it seems inevitable our Turkish German talisman will be plying his trade elsewhere.

Post #493232  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 pm 

Yes it does. I'm pissed off about it and I don't even particularly like Özil. It's a bit worrying how both he and Ramsey are being pushed out of the club while Iwobi and Mkhitaryan start every game.

I get the goodwill for Emery and the new manager bounce. I love that we have finally started to show some grit. But sidelining two of our most creative players makes no sense and will cost us a lot of money.

Post #493233  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 pm 

dec wrote:
Yes it does. I'm pissed off about it and I don't even particularly like Özil. It's a bit worrying how both he and Ramsey are being pushed out of the club while Iwobi and Mkhitaryan start every game.

I get the goodwill for Emery and the new manager bounce. I love that we have finally started to show some grit. But sidelining two of our most creative players makes no sense and will cost us a lot of money.

It's a bit strange to see the most skilful players at the club not playing all the time. Have Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Ramsey and Mkhitaryan ever start a game together under Emery?

Post #493234  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 pm 

I was very disappointed with Maitland-Niles yesterday. Didn't think he grabbed the opportunity given to him by starting.

Post #493235  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 pm 

dec wrote:

After a terrific start to the season, Iwobi has really struggled lately.

Post #493236  Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 pm 

I'm now pleased Man City won their penalty shoot out against Leicester. Otherwise the winner of the Chelsea Tottenham semi would have been firm favourites to win the League Cup. I'd rather City win it.

Post #493237  Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:33 am 

dec wrote:

It's all part of dumbing the club down, from being top 4 regulars we are now a top 6 only club, Ramsey and Özil will be replaced with players on lower salaries as running the club at a profit is more important than winning trophies for KSE Inc, of course we'll be spun something along the lines of "they don't fit our new style" or whatever.

Kroenke is working his magic at turning us into another of his mediocre sports franchises. I told you so.

Post #493238  Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:50 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

It's all part of dumbing the club down, from being top 4 regulars we are now a top 6 only club, Ramsey and Özil will be replaced with players on lower salaries as running the club at a profit is more important than winning trophies for KSE Inc, of course we'll be spun something along the lines of "they don't fit our new style" or whatever.

Kroenke is working his magic at turning us into another of his mediocre sports franchises. I told you so.

Awful. I hope you are wrong but alienating our most inspirational players raises some serious red flags. What is the business model? Europa league plus invincinbles nostalgia?

Post #493239  Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:04 am 

Too bad we couldn't beat Mourinho before he got the boot. I don't know how many in wins and losses off the top of my head but I'm sure we have a horrific record against Mourinho as a club. Have we ever beaten him in league play? Ever? Really? I wonder.

Post #493240  Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:18 am 

I concur with Soc when he said we got some lucky breaks in that run. A run like that isn't what clubs where we are in the table achieve normally. What is amazing is we achieved that with the worse defense of the clubs with a serious shot at a top 4 finish. Our goals against stands out when compared against the others. A title side will normally have roughly 30 goals against more or less in a season I've seen. Our goals against is high as it is.

One thing is clear. We won't get top 4 with the defense we have. We have to buy big in January for the defense if we want any reasonable chance at a top 4.

[ 570740 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12328, 12329, 12330, 12331, 12332, 12333, 12334 ... 14269  Next