Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 101 guests

Post #522121  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta has said he has a 'solid idea' on who was leaking private information out of Arsenal to the media.
https://www.football365.com/news/arteta ... ed-destroy

I’d be shocked if it’s not David Luiz

It’s in the chelsea players handbook to leak information to the press on what’s happening inside the changing rooms and apparently Luiz was at the heart of Mourinhos departure when he did the same. Luiz was dropped shortly after and now Rob Holding is playing-every game.

Post #522122  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Over the years I’ve visited most European countries but I managed to avoid Scotland. I considered it a sort of 'badge of honour' until a couple of years ago when I had a weekend in Edinburgh – which was mostly foreign tourists and very few scots. I shan't be rushing back.

Found this comment quite sad really (dont mean this in a nasty way) I would suggest you reconsider as you get older. Scotland contains some beauty that other parts of the UK can’t compete with and Edinburgh as you said isn’t really Scotland. If you ever get the chance to visit the highlands I’d take it. If you still don’t like it at least you’ve got the whisky mate

I hiked and hitch-hiked from Inverness to the Isle of Skye one golden summer about a quarter of a century ago, stopping off at every inn for a wee dram. Based on that experience, I'd say it's not just other parts of the UK that can't compete with the Highlands.

Post #522123  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:51 pm 

For some reason I was remembering the times when Wenger used to put out teams of teenagers in the cups and they used to still dominate experienced Prem and Championship sides. The one game that sticks in the memory from this period was a 6-0 demolition of Sheffield Utd in the league cup. Arsenal had an average age of 19 - this was the team that night.
Arsenal: Fabianski, Hoyte, Djourou, Song, (Lansbury 70), Gibbs, Randall, Ramsey, Merida (Coquelin 71), Wilshere, Bendtner (Simpson 71), Vela.

For all the success the youth teams or Chelsea and Man City have had, and all the hype any young player at Man U gets I haven't seen any of these teams be able to do what we used to be able to do by putting full teams of teenagers out and winning

Post #522124  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:
Over the years I’ve visited most European countries but I managed to avoid Scotland. I considered it a sort of 'badge of honour' until a couple of years ago when I had a weekend in Edinburgh – which was mostly foreign tourists and very few scots. I shan't be rushing back.

Found this comment quite sad really (dont mean this in a nasty way) I would suggest you reconsider as you get older. Scotland contains some beauty that other parts of the UK can’t compete with and Edinburgh as you said isn’t really Scotland. If you ever get the chance to visit the highlands I’d take it. If you still don’t like it at least you’ve got the whisky mate

I love Edinburgh. A beautiful (in my honest opinion) city. Believe it or not, went up to Edinburgh for a dinner out a while back (we live in Hertfordshire so it is quite a way). Wanted to go the Tom Kitchin’s Michelin Star restaurant The Kitchin. It only has one star, but was equally as good as any, and better than some, two star restaurants we’ve eaten at. Deserves a second star in my humble view (we enjoy fine dining so have been to lots of Michelin Star restaurants).

One thing I mentioned years ago was a report I’d read that three quarters or 75% of football fans in Scotland support either Rangers or Celtic. From memory dec thought that was probably an exaggeration (apologies to dec if it was someone else). But I can believe it as when I’ve been to Edinburgh (I’ve been more often than anywhere else in Scotland), you see far more people wearing Rangers and Celtic gear than Hearts and Hibs stuff. And don’t forget, along with Aberdeen the Edinburgh clubs are two of the third, fourth and fifth biggest clubs in Scotland (in whatever order).

You’re right about the highlands too, and malt whiskey. As people here know, my expertise in alcoholic beverages is primarily focused on red wine, though I also collect Sauternes (the sweet white wine region of Bordeaux). As a result I rarely drink whiskey. But on the occasional times I have tried it, malt whiskey is at a different level to the blended stuff you get like Bells, Teachers, Grants, Famous Grouse, Haig and Chivas Regal.

Been all around Scotland. Glasgow is atmospheric, Edinburgh beautiful, Aberdeen distinctive, Inverness fabulous (close to Culloden Moor), Fort William, St Andrew’s and so on. Loch Ness is narrow but very deep. I think I saw a documentary that said it has more water than any other lake in Britain. The biggest place in Scotland I’ve not been to is Dundee.

Post #522125  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm 

Are we going to send the suspect(s)who leaked info to Guantanamo Bay for 'questioning'?

Post #522126  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’m certainly not. Went to ibrox a few years ago for a friendly with us and was in the home end and was disgusted at the monkey noises every time one of our players touched the ball. Far from a minority

Since that day I’ve always wanted them to lose and even a lack of variation wouldn’t change that.

Have you been to Celtic away? I have, twice and once not in the away end. They’re hardly the most tolerant people either.

Another reason I like Rangers was my dad used to take me to a few England games at the old Wembley. One was an England versus Scotland match that was part of the annual home international tournament. I was stunned by the away support. It seemed every single spectator in the ground was a Scotland fan. I’m sure that wasn’t the case, but at the time it seemed like it.

Anyway, leaving the ground after the match we (my dad and I) were walking over one of the concrete bridges leading to the road named Olympic Way. It was jam packed with p*ssed up jocks. You could hardly breath. My dad was doing his best to protect me from the pushing as I was only a small kid, probably still at primary school, and looking back may have been in some danger.

When the bloke directly behind us saw I could get in a bit of trouble, he started helping my dad and turned round and shouted to the people pushing behind him words to the effect of ‘careful, there’s wee lad here’. Behind him was another drunk Scotsman who said in colourful language why should I, or why should we? The Scots bloke immediately behind us said very threateningly to him words to the effect ‘because if you don’t you’ll have me to answer to.’

Anyway, we got away from the ground okay as the guy behind us had calmed his p*ssed up countrymen down. Before we went the other way to him my dad thanked him. He said, again words to the effect, in a thick Scottish accent that’s fine or no problem or whatever, followed by ‘the wee boy had to be looked after’. Then my dad thanked him again and asked what club he supported. He answered, no words to the effect this time as I remember to this day, ‘Glasgae Rangers’ in his thick accent.

If he’d said Celtic my Old Firm affinities would presumably now be different, but he was Rangers. Also Celtic were so dominant at the time and the Ibrox disaster around then made it easy for me to feel sorry for Rangers. They’ve been my favourite Scottish club ever since and are still behind only Arsenal and Bayern as my third team.

Post #522127  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:08 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Are we going to send the suspect(s)who leaked info to Guantanamo Bay for 'questioning'?

I think you will find its Turkey.......

Post #522128  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I love Edinburgh. A beautiful (in my honest opinion) city. Believe it or not, went up to Edinburgh for a dinner out a while back (we live in Hertfordshire so it is quite a way). Wanted to go the Tom Kitchin’s Michelin Star restaurant The Kitchin. It only has one star, but was equally as good as any, and better than some, two star restaurants we’ve eaten at. Deserves a second star in my humble view (we enjoy fine dining so have been to lots of Michelin Star restaurants).

One thing I mentioned years ago was a report I’d read that three quarters or 75% of football fans in Scotland support either Rangers or Celtic. From memory dec thought that was probably an exaggeration (apologies to dec if it was someone else). But I can believe it as when I’ve been to Edinburgh (I’ve been more often than anywhere else in Scotland), you see far more people wearing Rangers and Celtic gear than Hearts and Hibs stuff. And don’t forget, along with Aberdeen the Edinburgh clubs are two of the third, fourth and fifth biggest clubs in Scotland (in whatever order).

You’re right about the highlands too, and malt whiskey. As people here know, my expertise in alcoholic beverages is primarily focused on red wine, though I also collect Sauternes (the sweet white wine region of Bordeaux). As a result I rarely drink whiskey. But on the occasional times I have tried it, malt whiskey is at a different level to the blended stuff you get like Bells, Teachers, Grants, Famous Grouse, Haig and Chivas Regal.

Been all around Scotland. Glasgow is atmospheric, Edinburgh beautiful, Aberdeen distinctive, Inverness fabulous (close to Culloden Moor), Fort William, St Andrew’s and so on. Loch Ness is narrow but very deep. I think I saw a documentary that said it has more water than any other lake in Britain. The biggest place in Scotland I’ve not been to is Dundee.

Round the highlands, Isle of Skye, Loch Lomond, fort William really is God’s country. There’s no place like it I have been to certainly.

It really wouldn’t surprise me if 75% of Scottish fans support the old firm. It always seems to be one or the other and it’s all over your right.

I can’t get my head around Sauternes. Whilst I’m not a large drinker of spirits I can understand having a brandy or small whisky after an agreeable dinner but Sauternes ? The sweetness of it. We used to get it after Christmas dinner, 2 sips literally that’s all I could muster.

Post #522129  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:29 pm 

My family originate from Scotland, and it's true the sectarian bs is sadly a bit of an issue. One nickname for Glasgow is Little Belfast.
While it's also true we like a scrap, don't tar us all with the same brush!

Post #522130  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm 

Btw there’s also some cracking places in Ireland and Northern Ireland and Wales too. Galway ! If you ever get the chance to go to their oyster festival.

What’s the worst place in these islands anyone’s been to ? Let me start, Hull! No actually Preston , NO, Oldham maybe Oldham. No Hull. Yes I think Hull oh I give in.

Post #522131  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, TG. Oddly, I've had a lot of Scottish friends over the years; it's all part of the banter with them - they need to be kept on their toes. I grew up with a mate who'd relocated from the Gorbals - took me a while to understand him but once I got into the dialect, I became his interpreter. Ever since, I've never had the slightest problem understanding, indeed Rab C Nesbitt and The Big Yin are among my comedy heroes.

I have several standing invitations to stay with friends up there, way up North. Might just take them up one day. On whisky, I could have bought several distilleries over the years. Edinburgh was mainly tourists though.

Post #522132  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw there’s also some cracking places in Ireland and Northern Ireland and Wales too. Galway ! If you ever get the chance to go to their oyster festival.

What’s the worst place in these islands anyone’s been to ? Let me start, Hull! No actually Preston , NO, Oldham maybe Oldham. No Hull. Yes I think Hull oh I give in.

Stoke is pretty *%^@. No, it's really *%^@. Burnley is surrounded by beautiful countryside but the town itself is a dump, as is Mansfield. The area around Birmingham City football ground looks like there's been an earthquake and they've just painted the ruins. An earthquake would positively improve West Bromwich. Don't get me started on Wigan.

EDIT - just remembered Blackpool - truly a dump amongst dumps.

Can't stop now. My wife is from South Lancashire. If the world had piles, they wouldn't be far from Leigh.

Post #522133  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Stoke is pretty *%^@. No, it's really *%^@. Burnley is surrounded by beautiful countryside but the town itself is a dump, as is Mansfield. The area around Birmingham City football ground looks like there's been an earthquake and they've just painted the ruins. An earthquake would positively improve West Bromwich. Don't get me started on Wigan.

Can't stop now. My wife is from South Lancashire. If the world had piles, they wouldn't be far from Leigh.

Lol :laughing7:

Blackpool is a sight to behold, a few years ago there was a suggestion they would turn it into the UK Vegas which made sense as the whole area is like a post apocalyptic movie. Think it got kyboshed

Rochdale ! Was going into a frankie bennys there once before a business meeting and there was a sign on the door that read “after a spate of ARMED Robberies please note we no longer accept cash!”

Honourable mention for Portsmouth.

Post #522134  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I was in Donegal last January. Certainly belongs on your first list rather than your second! Magical.

Post #522135  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
[ Loch Ness is narrow but very deep. I think I saw a documentary that said it has more water than any other lake in Britain. .

Not just deep but long (37km). I think it is the longest lake in the British Isles?

Lake Tanganyika is longest freshwater lake in world (660 km).

Both are worth a visit!

Post #522136  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 pm 

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Worst place I ever went to was the Gorbals in Glasgow. As a kid in the sixties we went to Scotland on one of our family holidays and my dad took us to Glasgow for the day and we went to have a look at the Gorbals (as well as Ibrox and Celtic Park). The Gorbals was so bad it was scary. When I went back to Glasgow for a preseason friendly against Celtic, I took a detour to see the Gorbals then (the George Graham era). It was much improved even though I wouldn’t want to live there.

In England the worst place was Derby in what must have been the first half of the seventies. We went there for a 2-2 draw in the FA Cup. It was Bertie Mee’s era as Charlie George (who later on joined Derby) scored both our goals. Nowhere close to the Gorbals of the sixties but still a total dump. Made both Moss Side and Gorton in Manchester look positively luxurious.

Post #522137  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta has said he has a 'solid idea' on who was leaking private information out of Arsenal to the media.

He needs to let this go. We are on a roll and things are looking up so I fail to see the need to introduce negativity.

Post #522138  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:

He needs to let this go. We are on a roll and things are looking up so I fail to see the need to introduce negativity.

He does need to get over it. It was dealt with internally right from the onset. Arteta needs to reign in his total or over control obsession. Mistakes happen. So do embarrassments. Seems he feels he's not being taken seriously on his restructuring by a few players or he appears he can't take a joke occassionally for fun.

Post #522139  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I was in Donegal last January. Certainly belongs on your first list rather than your second! Magical.

I'll second Donegal, my wife's family are all from there - probably make up a good chunk of the population. If you get there and get to the top of Mount Errigal the views are incredible if it is a clear day, which it isn't always! It's also the spot I proposed to my wife - would have been easy to push her off if she'd said 'no'

Post #522140  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:

To be fair he was asked the question rather than bringing it up himself - but agreed he could have just said 'next question' or it is an internal matter.

I would say it is difficult to gauge these things, if Arteta feels his efforts are being undermined and some are deliberately not pulling in the right direction then he has every right to be annoyed. One of the pitfalls of having such a bloated squad. The sooner we can move a lot of these players on the better. There are some nice green shoots in the squad but it will feel like we're still standing still until the clear out is complete

Post #522141  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I'll second Donegal, my wife's family are all from there - probably make up a good chunk of the population. If you get there and get to the top of Mount Errigal the views are incredible if it is a clear day, which it isn't always! It's also the spot I proposed to my wife - would have been easy to push her off if she'd said 'no'

Lovely, Rich.

Liverpool simply can't buy a goal at the moment. 33 shots today.

Post #522142  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm 

Rich wrote:

I would say it is difficult to gauge these things, if Arteta feels his efforts are being undermined and some are deliberately not pulling in the right direction then he has every right to be annoyed. One of the pitfalls of having such a bloated squad. The sooner we can move a lot of these players on the better. There are some nice green shoots in the squad but it will feel like we're still standing still until the clear out is complete

I say we bring in the lord Inquisitor. 10 lashes should just about do it.

Post #522143  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Liverpool lost at home to Burnley. To say the title looks wide open this season is an understatement. Assuming Arsenal are simply too far behind to have a realistic chance, plus if Everton aren’t quite good enough and Southampton like Arsenal are a bit too far back, I’d like Leicester to win it again. Or if not them, then Manchester City, simply because neither are Manchester United, Tottenham or Liverpool. If Leicester do win it, I would excuse their fans for laughing at Chilwell.

Post #522144  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 pm 

Klopp out

Post #522145  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:28 am 

Liverpool languishing in fourth, oh the ignominy!!

I don’t really know what that word means but I think I’ve used it in the right context.

Seen we’ve been linked with Martin Ødegaard on loan til the end of the season from Real Madrid. I think the prospect of not being able to sign him would just make me sad. But would be fun! He’ll certainly ensure we don’t burn out Emile Smith Rowe.

I remember thinking at the time when he was picking his next club he’s got to go to Ajax surely, and rolled my eyes when he went to Real. Still think that would have been the best move for him, they sell players with slightly less stress than Dortmund which would have been another good move for him.

Post #522146  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

It’s in the chelsea players handbook to leak information to the press on what’s happening inside the changing rooms and apparently Luiz was at the heart of Mourinhos departure when he did the same. Luiz was dropped shortly after and now Rob Holding is playing-every game.

Luiz was my first suspect when the training incident came out. He likes to talk. He likes to be the centre of attention. He likes to be popular. Nothing wrong with any of these traits. But, reporters know how to suss it out of them.

Post #522147  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I think you will find its Turkey.......

Thanks for sorting that one out Hodd.

Post #522148  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:21 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Luiz was my first suspect when the training incident came out. He likes to talk. He likes to be the centre of attention. He likes to be popular. Nothing wrong with any of these traits. But, reporters know how to suss it out of them.

Unless I misunderstood it myself, you didn’t notice Hodd’s post then? Özil has to be the most likely candidate surely? I’d have said that from the start. He knew his playing career at Arsenal was over and he presumably resented Arteta. Who else could it be, whatever anyone says of Luiz?

Post #522149  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Unless I misunderstood it myself, you didn’t notice Hodd’s post then? Özil has to be the most likely candidate surely? I’d have said that from the start. He knew his playing career at Arsenal was over and he presumably resented Arteta. Who else could it be, whatever anyone says of Luiz?

Somehow I don't see Özil as that sort of person. Perhaps Kola, more likely.

Post #522150  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 am 

I think if Liverpool doesn't catch City by mid February they won't win the title. I think it will be City only because in a week in, week out basis, City is better at getting results better than Man Utd and Leicester City. Mourinho is canny enough to sneak a 2nd or 3rd but not likely but if anyone can its him.

Leicester and Man Utd will battle it out for runner up I think.

Post #522151  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Somehow I don't see Özil as that sort of person. Perhaps Kola, more likely.

Well he certainly strikes me as that sort of person.

Post #522152  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Lovely, Rich.

I read they have gone a bit cross heavy in the last few games, maybe Klopp thinks it is just pure maths until they score.....

Post #522153  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:50 am 

News in Spain gathering pace that we're ready to secure Martin Ødegaard on loan from Real Madrid. It was thought Real Sociadad would get him on loan, they may still do, but some high profile Spnish journalists are suggesting he's chosen Arsenal after talks between Edu and Madrid and Ødegaard. I've not seen him play in the past few years but by all accounts he's done well in his last loan, 3rd most chances created in La Liga behind Messi and someone else (I forget) and 7 goals and 9 assists last year. 22 years old, plays as a No.10 so would add competition/rest for Smith-Rowe

Post #522154  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:14 am 

Arteta is a total f...ken idiot for pursuing this whole leak thing. As far as I am concerned any decent leader has a way off dealing with these things which does not involve some hunt down of people. Start worrying about tactics for games rather than what happened. His favouritism breeds these type of situations. People will say he is an inexperienced manager. That is no excuse at a club of our size.

Post #522155  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta is a total f...ken idiot for pursuing this whole leak thing. As far as I am concerned any decent leader has a way off dealing with these things which does not involve some hunt down of people. Start worrying about tactics for games rather than what happened. His favouritism breeds these type of situations. People will say he is an inexperienced manager. That is no excuse at a club of our size.

It’s the press that keeps bringing it up and I have no idea why articles came out this week with quotes he made 4 weeks ago or something

Post #522156  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 am 

Ah...the memories.
https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/videos/405557693861481

Post #522157  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am 

Rich wrote:
News in Spain gathering pace that we're ready to secure Martin Ødegaard on loan from Real Madrid. It was thought Real Sociadad would get him on loan, they may still do, but some high profile Spnish journalists are suggesting he's chosen Arsenal after talks between Edu and Madrid and Ødegaard. I've not seen him play in the past few years but by all accounts he's done well in his last loan, 3rd most chances created in La Liga behind Messi and someone else (I forget) and 7 goals and 9 assists last year. 22 years old, plays as a No.10 so would add competition/rest for Smith-Rowe

7 goals and 9 assists is pretty impressive. He’s obviously not aware of the forum suggestion that modern midfielders don’t have to score and Create goals and generally play well.

Does feel like we are a bit of a Real Madrid B club with these loans but will at least give us some legs if he comes in

Post #522158  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Does feel like we are a bit of a Real Madrid B club with these loans but will at least give us some legs if he comes in

It does, but I also think it's a realistic reflection of where we are as a club, both in stature and financially. As you say, it's about giving us some legs to maintain some kind of progress and forward momentum.

Post #522159  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

7 goals and 9 assists is pretty impressive. He’s obviously not aware of the forum suggestion that modern midfielders don’t have to score and Create goals and generally play well.

Fabrizio Romano and David Ornstein both saying the deal is basically done.
Real Madrid B isn't a nice feeling but Real Madrid have a history of letting talented players leave just because they want the new shiniest toy. The two that spring to mind are Robben and Snieder who both won multiple titles and champions leagues after leaving Madrid.
Doesn't seem like there is an option to buy.
If our first choice attacking mid wasn't available or was too pricey in this window then getting a younger, hungry loan player in for 6 months is smarter than overpaying, settling for 2nd choice, getting nobody or loaning an older player who is on easy street.

Post #522160  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It does, but I also think it's a realistic reflection of where we are as a club, both in stature and financially. As you say, it's about giving us some legs to maintain some kind of progress and forward momentum.

Absolutely, just about hanging in there right now

Just get us to the summer, chop away the dead wood on huge money like Mustafi and Luiz, find loan moves for Nelson and willock, cash in on Bellerin and sadly AMN and bring in 2 new midfielders and a new right back.

Arteta hasn’t yet had the opportunity to reach his George Graham sansom, Anderson and Nicholas chop and change moment. Deserves that at least

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13051, 13052, 13053, 13054, 13055, 13056, 13057 ... 14269  Next