Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #496001  Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
He's a fantastic shotstopper, great with his feet, he just needs to work on dealing with crosses which is his achilles heel.

I don't see his dealing with crosses as a big problem. I accept he isn't Jennings at his peak with crosses. But he's pretty damn good with them; think about Ospina and Fabianski. Not even remotely comparable.

Signing a new gk for a big club is always going to be black or white in terms of success or failure. The spotlight is always on them. For £18-20m I think Leno has been a good signing and a success so far. He is a modern gk we’ve been after and looks to have improved as the season has gone on. I can only think of 2 mistakes he’s made on goals he should have done better in but the list of times he’s bailed us out with great saves is very long indeed. An unsung hero of the season even

Post #496002  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 am 

So nice to see Jon Moss's incompetence actually work in our favour for once. He, like Taylor and a couple of others, really shouldn't be operating at this level.

Post #496003  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 am 

That was a really important win and there was a lot of effort from all our players. Our defence still causes me a lot of concern as we open up all too easy.

Back into 4th spot and let us see if we can mentally cope with it. The missed penalty last week makes our current position precarious rather than solid but there were a lot of good signs in the game. Time we find a new penalty taker, as Aubameyang was really unconvincing.

Looking at the draw we have a number of away games that will prove whether we really are improving or not. On the other hand Spurs and even Man U have some difficult games into the future. We really need a really good run to put the pressure on the other teams.

I am still not sure what Emery has as an overall plan for the team but I am always happy with a win and particularly over Man U.

Post #496004  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
I went to the game but it came as a surprise to hear on the way home that an Arsenal fan was nicked for invading the pitch to have a go at Smalling. I simply didn't notice it at the time.

We will get a major punishment for that as it has happened the same day as the incident with Jack Grealish and they will try and make an example of it.

Post #496005  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Also, I’m not yet convinced he has that control of a game, the 97%+ pass completion rate etc just yet.

Have I missed something? I thought AMN was our worst player today. In my view he's a first team regular at a club at the West Ham, Newcastle type level. Not at a club expected to compete for trophies. A decent back up squad player for Arsenal.

From F365
Maitland-Niles was particularly impressive, even if many Arsenal fans have long decided he is not of the requisite standard. He made four tackles, five interceptions and one chance in a performance that was not designed to steal the headlines, but was perhaps worth a picture caption or two.

It is plain to see why Emery likes him. A versatile 21-year-old whose seven Premier League starts this season have come in four different positions (left-back, right-back, right wing-back, right midfield) is a manager’s dream. Not every player can have the mercurial talent of Özil or the god-given physical attributes of Aubameyang; every squad needs a someone with a little from column A, a little from column B and a little more from column C – tactical intelligence. Maitland-Niles fits that role well.

Post #496006  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 am 

I’ve read quite a lot of the media almost absolving Man U of the defeat yesterday. Saying that Man U had plenty of chances, were unlucky and on another day would have won. It is difficult to argue with those statements but these are not the sorts of rational things the papers wrote when a top 6 match doesn’t fall our way after a very even game.
Why is there not more emphasis from the media about how Emery tactically out thought Solksjaer, or how Arsenal clearly wanted it more.....or the infuriating ‘arsenal deserved to win because they scored 2 and Man U scored none’
Also there was talk of the post PSG hangover, well Arsenal were also away in France and had a day less to recover, both teams had players who didn’t play midweek

Much more credit for Arsenal and fewer excuses for Man U required

Post #496007  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:27 am 

Top performance from Xhaka again. Obviously the goal but his tackle/block on Rashford at the end of the first half was exceptional. He switched play as well as he usually does and certainly got the upper hand on Matic/Fred/pogba.

Post #496008  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
Have I missed something? I thought AMN was our worst player today. In my view he's a first team regular at a club at the West Ham, Newcastle type level. Not at a club expected to compete for trophies. A decent back up squad player for Arsenal.

Fair enough. I thought he was very poor for the first 30-35 minutes then grew into the game. Second half he was excellent. Not a starter but on that second half performance worthy of a place in the squad and probably our best bet as cover for Bellerin at the moment.

Agree about Leno. Has grown into the role more and more. Excellent signing.

Post #496009  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I went to the game but it came as a surprise to hear on the way home that an Arsenal fan was nicked for invading the pitch to have a go at Smalling. I simply didn't notice it at the time.

We will get a major punishment for that as it has happened the same day as the incident with Jack Grealish and they will try and make an example of it.

Anything beyond a prison sentance or/and life time ban for the individual concerned, and maybe a fine for the club, has to be addressed with caution. Certainly not a points deduction, or a stadium closure. Otherwise, what's to stop a Liverpool fan getting a ticket for a game at the Etihad, pretending to be a City fan, and invading the pitch to challenge an opposition player in order to get City a points deduction?

Post #496010  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 am 

I've been critical of Emery this season but the last two PL games he has got it spot on with both his selection and tactics. The players have responded too. Credit all round. Taking four points each from both Tottenham & Utd is a decent return which arguably should have been more in both away games. That's really something to build on.

Post #496011  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Anything beyond a prison sentance or/and life time ban for the individual concerned, and maybe a fine for the club, has to be addressed with caution. Certainly not a points deduction, or a stadium closure. Otherwise, what's to stop a Liverpool fan getting a ticket for a game at the Etihad, pretending to be a City fan, and invading the pitch to challenge an opposition player in order to get City a points deduction?

We were already fined 10 grand for letting a fan get on the pitch in the Qarabag game. If they did the closed doors thing it would be so extreme

Post #496012  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 am 

Talking of banning orders I wished the club would hand one to this mug and all his dippy mates on behalf of all our fans. Talk about cringeworthy and embarrassing for all

https://youtu.be/y0y7oTRUNCg

Post #496013  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am 

Rich wrote:
I’ve read quite a lot of the media almost absolving Man U of the defeat yesterday. Saying that Man U had plenty of chances, were unlucky and on another day would have won. It is difficult to argue with those statements but these are not the sorts of rational things the papers wrote when a top 6 match doesn’t fall our way after a very even game.

All of which is true. They hit the post twice and our defence was very ropey. The thing is Manure have been getting away with it. Spurs should have had a hatful against them. PSG should have knocked them out. I think the Gollum faced one has riding his luck and yesterday his luck ran out.

Post #496014  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 am 

Also anyone saying we will definately finish in the top 4 must be off their heads. We’ve got a decent chance now but will need to get points at goodison park and the king power. That’s possible but won’t be easy.

Post #496015  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:45 am 

Rich wrote:

All of which is true. They hit the post twice and our defence was very ropey. The thing is Manure have been getting away with it. Spurs should have had a hatful against them. PSG should have knocked them out. I think the Gollum faced one has riding his luck and yesterday his luck ran out.

Post #496016  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also anyone saying we will definately finish in the top 4 must be off their heads. We’ve got a decent chance now but will need to get points at goodison park and the king power. That’s possible but won’t be easy.

And Molineux will be a really tough place to get a result. Wolves are one of the most underrated sides in the PL at the moment.

Post #496017  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And Molineux will be a really tough place to get a result. Wolves are one of the most underrated sides in the PL at the moment.

I think if we can get a result at Goodison I will start to believe

Hope Emery does try to stick with the side that played yesterday as much as possible between now and the end of the season. Ramsey and Özil made a real difference and if both go in the summer I really have no idea how the club will replace them with a minimal budget and getting an unexpected windfall for getting in the champions league may help

Post #496018  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am 

Rich wrote:
Why is there not more emphasis from the media about how Emery tactically out thought Solksjaer, or how Arsenal clearly wanted it more.....or the infuriating ‘arsenal deserved to win because they scored 2 and Man U scored none’
Also there was talk of the post PSG hangover, well Arsenal were also away in France and had a day less to recover, both teams had players who didn’t play midweek

Much more credit for Arsenal and fewer excuses for Man U required

They are welcome to the credit and excuses as far as I'm concerned. I don't give a hoot about all of that dribble.

We've got the three points.

Post #496019  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Watford won't do us any favours either. No love lost between us and them thanks to a certain Mr Deeney.

No more top 6 fixtures but still some very tricky away fixtures to negotiate.

Post #496020  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm 

The good news is the rest of the matches don't involve any of the top 6 sides, the bad news is that we get the toughest matches of the sides outside the top 6.
Still its much better than what the others have to go through. I'm hoping any of the matches Chelsea has with them ends up with Chelsea winning.
I want to see more out of our loanee. Xhaka played well but I'm not sure if his other skills make up for the lack of pace. He is woefully slow. He makes others around him have to do too much defensively when the other team has a counter or in transition. He has got to make up for it in more goals. He has a great shot from distance. A skill in short supply.

Post #496021  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Fair enough. I thought he was very poor for the first 30-35 minutes then grew into the game. Second half he was excellent. Not a starter but on that second half performance worthy of a place in the squad and probably our best bet as cover for Bellerin at the moment.

I agree, AMN was miles better in the second half than he was in the first. Had Mustafi played like AMN did in the earlier part of the game, there would have been so many people logging on to slag him off, the forum would have broken down from overuse.

I do see AMN's career at Arsenal being as a squad back-up rather than a first choice regular though, unless of course we decline quite dramatically. If he wants to be a first choice, as I said my guess is he'll end up somewhere like West Ham or Newcastle

Post #496022  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

I agree, AMN was miles better in the second half than he was in the first. Had Mustafi played like AMN did in the earlier part of the game, there would have been so many people logging on to slag him off, the forum would have broken down from overuse.

I do see AMN's career at Arsenal being as a squad back-up rather than a first choice regular though, unless of course we decline quite dramatically. If he wants to be a first choice, as I said my guess is he'll end up somewhere like West Ham or Newcastle

AMN's versatility could mean he'd get about 25 games in a season for us. Only 21, let's hope he continue to improve. Could be the right-sided version of Ashley Young.

Post #496023  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:23 pm 

Of all the clubs in the top 6 vying for a title or top 4, Emery has the weakest squad top to bottom and the hardest job.
Us being in the position we are in speaks volumes about him. Until he gets the squad he wants and the players for the positions we all know are needed, I won't be too critical of him at all.
I would suggest its best to reserve criticism given the whole context of his job. First year, new country, new league, the language being difficult for him so communication with the players is limited to some extent, new players, having to take over from an iconic manager, and having to secure a top 4 position with the weakest squad of all of the rivals for that spot.
I can't justify being critical of him given those circumstances.

Post #496024  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:06 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Of all the clubs in the top 6 vying for a title or top 4, Emery has the weakest squad top to bottom and the hardest job.
Us being in the position we are in speaks volumes about him. Until he gets the squad he wants and the players for the positions we all know are needed, I won't be too critical of him at all.
I would suggest its best to reserve criticism given the whole context of his job. First year, new country, new league, the language being difficult for him so communication with the players is limited to some extent, new players, having to take over from an iconic manager, and having to secure a top 4 position with the weakest squad of all of the rivals for that spot.

I don't disagree that 3rd to 5th would be a good first season but if we don't see that a building block then we are in big trouble. Wenger also got us to punch above our weight. Unless Emery takes a stand against austerity we are going to be living on crumbs. We don't want to be the club that makes a special DVD when we make it into the top 4 or ahead of Spurs.

Post #496025  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm 

If we can pick up 7 or more points from the next 3 games then I think we're in with a great shout. Newcastle we usually beat at home but Benitez will play a very defensive game and I can see a struggle to break them down ahead unless we can get that early goal which makes all the difference. Everton and Watford away are not easy at all although at this time of the year you want to be playing teams with little or nothing to play for and both those sides fall into that category. Basically, we'll just have to tighten up at the back on the road. Remember in '98 some later games we nicked 1-0 and that's all that is required.

Fantastic win yesterday, a few of the Mancs I know were quite sour about losing which makes it all the better.

Post #496026  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:40 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I don't disagree that 3rd to 5th would be a good first season but if we don't see that a building block then we are in big trouble. Wenger also got us to punch above our weight. Unless Emery takes a stand against austerity we are going to be living on crumbs. We don't want to be the club that makes a special DVD when we make it into the top 4 or ahead of Spurs.

And hopefully the FA and FIFA will now actually do something about City if the allegations reported in the newspapers prove to have substance. In 20 years we could look back at this time and wonder how the hell did they get away with spending so much money and nothing was done about it.

Post #496027  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:21 pm 

I would happily have taken a draw yesterday and wasn't one of those who thought a defeat made our top 4 hopes terminal.
Annoys me how some people seem to base everything on just ONE game.
Merson I think has been saying the winner of yesterdays game would qualify for the champions league. What utter nonsense!!
There are still 8 games to go.
Just as a defeat wouldn't have ended our hopes in my opinion neither does a win guarantee us anything.
Really also annoying people saying we have the easier run in.
Have they not seen our away form!?
We still have to go to Everton , Wolves , Leicester , Watford and Burnley.
All tricky games we will need to play well to win.
Really hope Emery sticks with yesterdays formation as close as he can.
Winning yesterday was F******* BRILLIANT.
Love sticking up those Mancs and wiping that smirk off Solksjaers face.
We started the game so well and yes they could have scored a few but we took our chances and they didn't.
Enjoyed the way we managed the game as well.
We were excellent.
Was so nervous with the penalty but Aubameyang stuck it away this time.
We did what we should have done last week which was move within a point of Spurs. Unbelievable as 16 days ago they were 10 points clear.
I thought Maitland Niles had a great game as did Sokratis , Kos and Lacazette.
Ramsey and Özil and Xhaka played their part as well.
We are right in it for a top 4 place.
Win our remaining home games and win 3 of our remaining 5 away games and draw one and that hopefully is enough.
Nice to see Eddie get some minutes as well.

Post #496028  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
And hopefully the FA and FIFA will now actually do something about City if the allegations reported in the newspapers prove to have substance. In 20 years we could look back at this time and wonder how the hell did they get away with spending so much money and nothing was done about it.

Nothing of consequence will be done about City and any club with owners that are willing to spend whatever it takes for trophies.
Money always wins. FIFA is the last organization that I would deem respectable and honest enough to fix that issue.
Yes, they will make some lame attempt that they will laud as taking a stand but it will be more or less a PR stunt.

Post #496029  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm 

Niall wrote:
If we can pick up 7 or more points from the next 3 games then I think we're in with a great shout. Newcastle we usually beat at home but Benitez will play a very defensive game and I can see a struggle to break them down ahead unless we can get that early goal which makes all the difference. Everton and Watford away are not easy at all although at this time of the year you want to be playing teams with little or nothing to play for and both those sides fall into that category. Basically, we'll just have to tighten up at the back on the road. Remember in '98 some later games we nicked 1-0 and that's all that is required.

Fantastic win yesterday, a few of the Mancs I know were quite sour about losing which makes it all the better.

Agree about playing those middling teams in the league, although 7th place this year will likely be a Europa League place with city winning the league cup and city/Man U favourites for the fa cup.
I saw Watford played a weakened team v city to concentrate (I presume) on their fa cup QF this weekend.
I see Everton and Leicester as our must win away games, both teams struggle for clean sheets. Watford with their first 11 are a really tough team, and wolves are a bogey team for every top 6 side but have lost to the relegation teams. I think we’ll need a result at Burnley on the last day - hopefully they’re safe and on the beach already.

Post #496030  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:11 pm 

£72m spent this summer.
£20m Leno - hit, got better and better. Would love to see a highlight reel of his saves this season and to see how many came at crucial points in games
£20m Sokratis - hit, stop start season with injuries, ultimate competitor and a bit of a thug at times, certainly what we have needed but would like him to cut out the silly fouls, collects a lot of cards, only 1 yellow away from a 2 game league ban
£25m Torreira - hit, exactly what we needed for a while, form tailed off about the time he is used to a winter break, can only see him being better next year
£7m Guendouzi - hit, a lot of potential, possibly a bit over played but Emery clearly likes him
£0 Lichtsteiner - miss move on in the summer

Pretty good work. We’re going to need another summer with players who can make a similar impact. Would like to see more young players integrated in to the team, these young lads can take sudden leaps forward in their development from one year to the next. Someone like Joe Willock needs a full season loan to a prem club

Post #496031  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
£72m spent this summer.
£20m Leno - hit, got better and better. Would love to see a highlight reel of his saves this season and to see how many came at crucial points in games
£20m Sokratis - hit, stop start season with injuries, ultimate competitor and a bit of a thug at times, certainly what we have needed but would like him to cut out the silly fouls, collects a lot of cards, only 1 yellow away from a 2 game league ban
£25m Torreira - hit, exactly what we needed for a while, form tailed off about the time he is used to a winter break, can only see him being better next year
£7m Guendouzi - hit, a lot of potential, possibly a bit over played but Emery clearly likes him

Pretty good work. We’re going to need another summer with players who can make a similar impact. Would like to see more young players integrated in to the team, these young lads can take sudden leaps forward in their development from one year to the next. Someone like Joe Willock needs a full season loan to a prem club

I do wonder how much of these signings was the work out Mislintat. Sokratis definately, Leno probably.

It’s amazing value for money in this inflated market. I hope his departure doesn’t mean us missing out on decent talent.

Post #496032  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
£72m spent this summer.

I do wonder how much of these signings was the work out Mislintat. Sokratis definately, Leno probably.

It’s amazing value for money in this inflated market. I hope his departure doesn’t mean us missing out on decent talent.

Monchi has quite a reputation as well. Hope we got him.

Post #496033  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:49 pm 

There has got to be good, solid defenders in the lower divisions and in the SPL we could buy. Is it because there is a price premium on British players? I could play better than Mustafi. Finding someone better can't be that difficult.

Post #496034  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
There has got to be good, solid defenders in the lower divisions and in the SPL we could buy. Is it because there is a price premium on British players? I could play better than Mustafi. Finding someone better can't be that difficult.

Think it's worthwhile to persevere with Holding and Mavropanos.

Post #496035  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:14 pm 

Apologies for this piece to those who have no interest, or are of a delicate nature, but given the farcical state of UK politics (I was going to use 'governance' but we don't have any), I thought it might be a welcome distraction to hear a view from the Antipodes:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/11/commonwealth-save-brexit-britain-utter-delusion-kevin-rudd

Post #496036  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Think it's worthwhile to persevere with Holding and Mavropanos.

Is he injured? I'd take Holding over Mustafi in a heartbeat.

Post #496037  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm 

DHD wrote:
Apologies for this piece to those who have no interest, or are of a delicate nature, but given the farcical state of UK politics (I was going to use 'governance' but we don't have any), I thought it might be a welcome distraction to

Interesting article and viewpoint. I may sound like an alarmist but I have little doubt there will be a massive economic crash in the not too distant future. I'm simply echoing economic experts and financiers whose opinions I trust.
How this will affect the UK post Brexit is anyone's guess but most think it will be far worse being outside EU. I have no horse in that race. Just parroting what the 'experts' are saying. That said, it's said the EU will not be as relevant in the future. If the scale and scope of the crash is anything close to what I'm reading (and its going to be much worse than 2008), then Spain and Italy will be likely be in a depression. Portugal possibly. Germany is statistically is on the verge of a recession and as we all know its the strongest economy in Europe.

How will this all affect the politics of these countries as well? My guess is a move to the right in some EU countries and a move to the left in America. Australia is very vulnerable so as hinted in the article, seeing Oz as a replacement in part may not work out.

Whoever is in power when the crash happens, that government is likely going to be replaced. People tend to blame the current seat holders rather than the party that got them into it if they are different.

Post #496038  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:37 pm 

In his post match interview, OGS wasn't down, he was correct when he said they had 4 or 5 clear cut chances and the first goal was one of those goals that doesn't happen often. The swerve on the ball would have been near impossible for most keepers. Also, Leno had great stops.

It was a great result but I can't say we clearly dominated and that the result could easily have gone the other way with any 2 or 3 of their clear cut chances. Leno saved us as well as leg of a defender.

Top 4 is ours to lose and this is where Emery will have to really earn his wages. It's not the easiest of run in to the end but its easier than the clubs we are competing for it and that is what I am judging Emery by. I don't expect to win all of them. I think we can but I don't expect to. I do expect us to get a top 4 finish though and even a 3rd place if we can run the table.

Post #496039  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm 

Very sensible writing.

He pretty much nails it. Yet people are unable to read between the lines and believe they are somehow being afforded additional freedoms.

There’s been a dumbing down in society currently and I really don’t know where this goes.

Post #496040  Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 pm 

Lacazette is available for the Rennes home game. UEFA have reduced his 3 game ban to a 2 game ban following an appeal by arsenal. He’s already served the 2 game ban.

3 games did seem overly harsh at the time

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12398, 12399, 12400, 12401, 12402, 12403, 12404 ... 14269  Next