Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #488721  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:00 pm 

Daz wrote:
Niall wrote:
England going a bit long now

And if we're going to that then maybe bring Vardy on. But you're right, the midfield just vanished last 20 minutes of that half.

Not that I think Wilshere would have been the game changer!!!!

Maybe the Ox though.

Could have done with a 4th midfielder but GS has been brave keeping faith with the system and going with Rashford. Good start to ET here by your boys.

Post #488722  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm 

Daz wrote:
Yes I’m glad Rose is on.

Best diver we have. Could be useful.

Post #488723  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm 

Kane pretty much anonymous

Post #488724  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm 

Great save! Goal written all over it!

Post #488725  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm 

V lucky there.

Post #488726  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm 

Croatia doing really well considering 3rd stint of 120 minutes in a week.

Post #488727  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm 

Niall wrote:

Looked like a foul by Pickford - nobody mentioning it though.

Post #488728  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm 

I just cannot see us scoring now.

Post #488729  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Niall wrote:

Didn't see any foul tbh.

Post #488730  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Niall wrote:

I agree. It was definitely a foul.

Post #488731  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm 

Certainly not a save.

Post #488732  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm 

Kane playing midfield. Vardy on for Dele Alli would be useful.

Post #488733  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm 

There is no midfield. It’s been coming.

Post #488734  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm 

One too many pieces of sloppy defending.

Post #488735  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm 

Good luck lads in the last 10.

Alert play there by Manduzic but poor goal to concede.

Post #488736  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Kane playing midfield. Vardy on for Dele Alli would be useful.

Agree. Game needs a poacher.

Post #488737  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm 

Croatia decided to play harder in the 2nd half of extra time, and it paid off.

Post #488738  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm 

Last chance...

Post #488739  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 pm 

Well played Croatia.

We have been beaten by a very limited team - even more limited than us. Our forwards have had no spark or presence and our midfield was consistently passive and sterile. If we’d been in the other side of the draw, we’d have gone home a while ago.

The biggest laugh is that Kane may end up with the golden boot. Ha! Played like a zombie in most games, as did ‘world class’ Ali.

By a distance, our finest achievement in this competition was to lose to Belgium.

Post #488740  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm 

DHD wrote:
Well played Croatia.

We have been beaten by a very limited team - even more limited than us. Our forwards have had no spark or presence and our midfield was consistently passive and sterile. If we’d been in the other side of the draw, we’d have gone home a while ago.

The biggest laugh is that Kane may end up with the golden boot. Ha! Played like a zombie in most games, as did ‘world class’ Ali.

By a distance, our finest achievement in this competition was to lose to Belgium.

Sorry but I think that is just sour and cynical. It also does not reflect the totality of our performances which had some fine moments - if a team is as *%^@ as you say you go home like Germany not in the semis. I know you're still hearting Wilshere but let it go, man.

Post #488741  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 pm 

What you are saying is true of the second half of this game but certainly not the entire tournament.

Post #488742  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 pm 

DHD wrote:
Well played Croatia.

I think they are a better side than you are giving them credit for. They took control of the game on the hour and it really was only their final ball that let them down on a few occasions in the 90 minutes. They have three or four excellent players.

England were great in the first half; the pressing was immense and they made Croatia looked average. Really could have been 3-0 at HT and couldn't see how Croatia were going to get into the game. The misses by Kane and Lingard to kill the game ended up crucial.

Once England tired and the pressing stopped, the extra quality in the Croatian engine we discussed earlier shone through. To give them credit they stepped it up, pushed up higher and had England on the rack...And they had been through two 120 minutes in a week.

England have done great, enjoyed their contribution to the world cup. If anything I'd have gone 5-4-1 just before Croatia scored to try and shut up shop as the goal was coming.

But take nothing away, England did great and have certainly got to be optimistic for the future.

Post #488743  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 pm 

Niall wrote:
DHD wrote:
Well played Croatia.

I think they are a better side than you are giving them credit for. They took control of the game on the hour and it really was only their final ball that let them down on a few occasions in the 90 minutes. They have three or four excellent players.

England were great in the first half; the pressing was immense and they made Croatia looked average. Really could have been 3-0 at HT and couldn't see how Croatia were going to get into the game. The misses by Kane and Lingard to kill the game ended up crucial.

Once England tired and the pressing stopped, the extra quality in the Croatian engine we discussed earlier shone through. To give them credit they stepped it up, pushed up higher and had England on the rack...And they had been through two 120 minutes in a week.

England have done great, enjoyed their contribution to the world cup. If anything I'd have gone 5-4-1 just before Croatia scored to try and shut up shop as the goal was coming.

But take nothing away, England did great and have certainly got to be optimistic for the future.

Blimey, "Niall"!

Post #488744  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm 

Daz wrote:
DHD wrote:
Well played Croatia.

Sorry but I think that is just sour and cynical. It also does not reflect the totality of our performance which had some fine moments - if a team is as *%^@ as you say you go home like Germany not in the semis. I know you're still hearting Wilshere but let it go, man.

I’ve never made a secret of the fact that I have no real love of international football, nor indeed of Ingerland, so it isn’t cynical. I don’t think it’s sour either.

The totality is that some episodic set pieces masked a poor midfield and a lacklustre attack.

Fine moments butter no parsnips.

Post #488745  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm 

Daz wrote:
Niall wrote:

Blimey, "Niall"!

LOL. Gary Neville making my point there that 5-3-2 wasn't enough in midfield, sign me up for Sky.

Always enjoy the England banter but credit where it is due, your boys did great.

Post #488746  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm 

DHD wrote:
I have no real love of international football, nor indeed of Ingerland, so it isn’t cynical. I don’t think it’s sour either.

That whole sentence is both. The "Ingerland" thing is just pathetic, classist nonsense.

Post #488747  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm 

Daz wrote:
DHD wrote:
I have no real love of international football, nor indeed of Ingerland, so it isn’t cynical. I don’t think it’s sour either.

That whole sentence is both. The "Ingerland" thing is just pathetic, classist nonsense.

Perhaps I’ll give you the casual reference to Ingerland but that classist nonsense is inherited from my father and grandfather, both of whom put Arsenal before England - in football terms of course.

Post #488748  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

Niall wrote:
DHD wrote:
Well played Croatia.

Spot on. Croatia were great. No shame whatsoever to England.

Post #488749  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm 

I think at least England aren't coming home having been a complete disgrace like the last time with Hodgson. Definitely more progressive and something for Southgate to build on. But, the reality was wins over Tunisia, Panama and Sweden, a draw with Colombia and defeats to Belgium and Croatia. Not quite good enough, and the draw might never be so kind again. Definitely think the big weakness is the midfield, nobody there to get their foot on the ball and control the game a la Modric.

Post #488750  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm 

DHD wrote:
Daz wrote:

Perhaps I’ll give you the casual reference to Ingerland but that classist nonsense is inherited from my father and grandfather, both of whom put Arsenal before England - in football terms of course.

Sorry, DHD, but the international football you decry has provided fantastic entertainment these last few weeks way beyond the normal reach of football. Families have sat together and watched and enjoyed some classic matches where the whole thing hasn't been distorted by money. There has been so much fun and entertainment all round. A young England team has done much better than expected, not just because they faced weak opposition but because they had a decent, progressive, and charming manager who encouraged some adventure and team spirit.

So to come on at the end and moan about international football and say the best thing we did was lose to Belgium is just a bit...well sour and cynical are the only two words that really spring to mind.

Post #488751  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I think at least England aren't coming home having been a complete disgrace like the last time with Hodgson. Definitely more progressive and something for Southgate to build on. But, the reality was wins over Tunisia, Panama and Sweden, a draw with Colombia and defeats to Belgium and Croatia. Not quite good enough, and the draw might never be so kind again. Definitely think the big weakness is the midfield, nobody there to get their foot on the ball and control the game a la Modric.

It doesn't matter so much though because France are far far better than us anyway. But I still think you do us a disservice as better teams have struggled against so-called "weak" opposition and we performed creditably in most games. Belgium is an utter irrelevance really.

Post #488752  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 pm 

Surely the greatest arrogance is taking it for granted that you will beat Sweden and Colombia? Germany only just beat Sweden and lost to South Korea. Colombia only just got their draw with us. Spain struggled against Iran. Brazil drew with Switzerland. These matches are complicated.

I'm not actually that disappointed we are out, but the team deserves more credit than that. There were some good signs there and had Kane squared it to Sterling it might have been a whole different picture.

Post #488753  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 pm 

Niall wrote:

A few people here and elsewhere have mentioned that Croatia have had two lots of extra time and have an older team, so should have had less energy tonight. But England appeared to tire first. After the quarter-final I mentioned Bilic said that Croatia's tough match, which they obviously got through, might give them more of a lift or buzz (or whatever words he used) than England's stroll in the park against Sweden might have given them.

Perhaps Bilic was right?

Post #488754  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm 

Daz wrote:
DHD wrote:

Sorry, DHD, but the international football you decry has provided fantastic entertainment these last few weeks way beyond the normal reach of football. Families have sat together and watched and enjoyed some classic matches where the whole thing hasn't been distorted by money. There has been so much fun and entertainment all round. A young England team has done much better than expected, not just because they faced weak opposition but because they had a decent, progressive, and charming manager who encouraged some adventure and team spirit.

So to come on at the end and moan about international football and say the best thing we did was lose to Belgium is just a bit...well sour and cynical are the only two words that really spring to mind.

I don’t decry international football. I just don’t share its appeal. Trust me, I’m not alone.

If you and others do get it - fair enough, but we’re not all like that.

Post #488755  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm 

DHD wrote:
Daz wrote:

I don’t decry international football. I just don’t share its appeal. Trust me, I’m not alone.

I get it, I just think its spectacularly joyless and bit weird - if you like football what was there NOT to like in almost all of Belgium's games especially Japan.

I watched the kids at my daughter's school - girls and boys alike - babbling about who was who in the sweepstake and it was just fun in a way that I am afraid the Premier League would struggle to emulate.

But I do get it, others have said the same as you, I remember similar discussions with EEG, for the life of me I cannot understand the reason for such an unnecessary, po-faced, faintly self-regarding, snobbishness.

Post #488756  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 pm 

I can only congratulate England on a mammoth effort to get to a semi-final. Yes, the route to the semi was possibly as easy as it has ever been in a modern day World Cup and yes the cards may never fall in the favour in such a way again but they still played with great energy and no one can question their effort or commitment.

England are not the best team in the tournament and really need some creative central midfielders but they gave it their best shot and reached the last four which is as good as anyone could have hoped for at the start of the tournament.

So well done.

Post #488757  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 pm 

Daz wrote:
DHD wrote:

I get it, I just think its spectacularly joyless and bit weird - if you like football what was there NOT to like in almost all of Belgium's games especially Japan.

I watched the kids at my daughter's school - girls and boys alike - babbling about who was who in the sweepstake and it was just fun in a way that I am afraid the Premier League would struggle to emulate.

But I do get it, others have said the same as you, I remember similar discussions with EEG, for the life of me I cannot understand the reason for such an unnecessary, po-faced, faintly self-regarding, snobbishness.

But it isn’t that at all. You may charactarise my position as you wish but in essence, it’s just a different view from yours - which by your admission, you don’t understand.

Post #488758  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 pm 

Ahhh so the fairy tale comes to an end , I thought the way the draw panned out ; this was England's year .

Taking off Sterling I thought a mistake in the limited time I've watched he seemed more than usual to have " the bit between his teeth ".

I think why a lot of English fans on here are so dismissive of the team is as I said before the tribal nature of English soccer .

Most fans would want the best for their own club in front of the country .

In NZ it's the reverse , we like our provincial teams but the All Blacks take precedence . We don't give a sh*t who hails from where , once the black shirt is donned we want fhe best to happen .

I'm not English [ thank God ] but I genuinely dislike Walker , Rose , Young , Alli and I'm not particularly enamoured with Vardy , Pickford , Henderson and Linegaard ... so them having dummy group sex in the middle of the pitch if they'd won wouldn't have been pleasant .

Tottenham wins the world cup would have been the chant at the Lane .

Post #488759  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

A few people here and elsewhere have mentioned that Croatia have had two lots of extra time and have an older team, so should have had less energy tonight. But England appeared to tire first. After the quarter-final I mentioned Bilic said that Croatia's tough match, which they obviously got through, might give them more of a lift or buzz (or whatever words he used) than England's stroll in the park against Sweden might have given them.

Perhaps Bilic was right?

I think it was more to do with what Croatia did with the ball. They were far more composed in possession in the second half, largely due to having a wonderful footballer in the middle of the pitch. England, in contrast, kept giving it away. Southgate has had a fine tournament, but I was baffled by the substitution of Dier for Henderson. England had no control whatsoever in midfield after that.

Post #488760  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm 

The two presenters on SSN wearing waistcoats a al Southgate. Sweet Jesus.....

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12216, 12217, 12218, 12219, 12220, 12221, 12222 ... 14269  Next