Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Rich and 172 guests

Post #488521  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:13 pm 

Obviously big fan of Latin America. Uruguay a great country and I’ve had brilliant times in Montevideo.

But Latin American football teams are either horribly dirty or cheating or in the case of Uruguay both.

Post #488522  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:27 pm 

Well done Mbappe.

Post #488523  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 pm 

Daz wrote:
Couldn't care less which clubs England players come from, simply never think about it.

Trippier has been very good as has Kane. Alli is injured and playing on reputation, Dier isn't a major figure anyway. I like Rose and would happily see him replace Young who I don't.

Among the many foibles of our nation, simply being unable to settle down and enjoy the national team when they're good without sneering at them or trying to load them down with meanings and symbolism (please please please media pundits SHUT THE *%^@ UP about diversity and Brexit and just let them be) is one of the most strange. There really is no need for self-flagellation when there are so many out there - including the "Celts" and the anti-imperialist "Maradonas" who will happily do that job for you.

They're a decent young team with a bright and likeable manager who will probably go out when they hit really Blue Chip opposition.

Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Yes, enjoy it while it lasts - the manager/coach has done a great job all in all. I've watched all the England games and been surprised at how cool the players have been under pressure, especially Kane. We've got further than I ever expected after watching our first game and its good to see so many of the previous cup winners going home early.
Still find it hard to cheer on a team full of Spurs and Man U players though - Still not sure what you see in Trippier, how did he get to be the new Beckham? Not that I liked the original one that much but he's on another planet compared to Trippier! Lets hope he proves me wrong by planting a free kick straight into net tomorrow!

Post #488524  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 pm 

Double post!

Post #488525  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP14zlGmvSQ[/youtube]

Post #488526  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm 

They had their phones and apple watches taken off them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44733802

What does that tell you about the greed, self interest and lack of care about the country of some of the people involved in this that their own party can’t trust them to do the right thing.

Post #488527  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:24 pm 

:53big-emoticons: How good was that , there is a God up there ......only saw the last ten minutes of both matches but Suarez and Neymar two of the most sleazy cheating d**w**kers on the planet bundled off home in quick succession .

Nothing quite warms your heart more than to watch a bunch of affluent Brazilians sobbing their hearts out . Not quite as much fun as when the PanzerBoys did them on their home patch last time around but it's still satisfying .

See Thierry is assistant coach of Belgium. Didn't know that

Post #488528  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:32 pm 

hoxton square wrote:
Still not sure what you see in Trippier, how did he get to be the new Beckham? Not that I liked the original one that much but he's on another planet compared to Trippier! Lets hope he proves me wrong by planting a free kick straight into net tomorrow!

Have I missed something? Is Trippier being seen as the new Beckham? I still see him as a right back. With Bellerin's poor form last season, my guess is many neutrals would now see Trippier as better than Bellerin.

Post #488529  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
hoxton square wrote:
Still not sure what you see in Trippier, how did he get to be the new Beckham? Not that I liked the original one that much but he's on another planet compared to Trippier! Lets hope he proves me wrong by planting a free kick straight into net tomorrow!

Have I missed something? Is Trippier being seen as the new Beckham? I still see him as a right back. With Bellerin's poor form last season, my guess is many neutrals would now see Trippier as better than Bellerin.

Trippier seems to take all the free kicks for England - didn't you notice that?

Post #488530  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:59 pm 

hoxton square wrote:
Trippier seems to take all the free kicks for England - didn't you notice that?

Doesn't that suggest Southgate considers him the best free kick taker in the current team? It doesn't make him the new Beckham.

Post #488531  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
All the recent discussion of fine wines got me remembering this interesting guide. Perhaps a few tips here kiwi?

I'd say that advice would probably be from the 1970's so maybe a little out of date Brom ... the mention of the aborigines armpit would bring a storm of outrage these days .

Son just returned from a week in Bali with a couple of duty free bottles of Appleton's rum and one of vodka , can get back to drinking the proper stuff .

Post #488532  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:07 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Son just returned from a week in Bali with a couple of duty free bottles of Appleton's rum and one of vodka , can get back to drinking the proper stuff .

Tesco sell Appleton's rum, £21 a bottle. Never had it, I barely touch spirits.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... 0wodF0gIjg

Post #488533  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:04 pm 

I don't share the delight in seeing Brazil go out. I think they are probably the best team in the competition but had a game when things didn't go their way. They have come to world cups with weaker teams than this one who have been hyped up far more. Brazil consistently produce more top quality creative players than any other country. It's a sad reflection of modern football that only one of their starting line-up plays in the Brazilian league.

Post #488534  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:32 pm 

talksport.com/football/395427/world-cup-petition-england-colombia-signatures/

It's all American ref's fault.
:1laughter:

Post #488535  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 am 

dec wrote:
I don't share the delight in seeing Brazil go out. I think they are probably the best team in the competition...

Hmm, not sure about that... before the start of the tournament, om paper, Germany and Spain's squads looked more impressive... I would argue France and Belgium squads look just as good if not better than Brazil's...

Post #488536  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am 

dec wrote:
I don't share the delight in seeing Brazil go out. I think they are probably the best team in the competition but had a game when things didn't go their way. They have come to world cups with weaker teams than this one who have been hyped up far more. Brazil consistently produce more top quality creative players than any other country. It's a sad reflection of modern football that only one of their starting line-up plays in the Brazilian league.

I agree, I still think Brazil were the best team to watch in the competition from a purist point of view.

However, on the day they were careless, wasteful and unlucky and when you are all of those things it makes it very difficult. On another day Coutinho scores a couple and it's a different game. Also, I though it was a definite pen and I'm not sure how VAR did not.

Belgium have a great side on paper, with an incredible combination of pace, power, technique and guile in attack, some great defenders and a top keeper. I still think, though, that as a team they are still less than the sum of the parts and would only class them as a good side with the potential to be a very good side. Clearly, they could evolve into the next Spain or Germany but there is a little way to go and it will be a mental test as much as anything else. I thought they ran out of steam a bit in the second half, mentally and physically, and whilst they had some excellent counter-attacking opportunities that they squandered they also looked vulnerable.

There is no doubt that France and Belgium are two sides littered with top players and they both have the potential to evolve into top sides. That may happen or it may not. Time will tell.

By contrast England are looking more than the sum of their parts, although they are yet to be really tested defensively. On paper the back five do not look top drawer as a defensive unit but are very good on the ball and that has helped us play out from the back with some confidence. As we have seen thus far in the competition the sides with the best players are not always the best teams.

Post #488537  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:46 am 

Among friends I said Belgium would win. I know..I know..its safely after the fact for the SG forum. But I based it on defense. Brazil had the better attacking side but Belgium were not too far behind. They have 3 great scorers but what I thought the difference would be is defense. Although Brazil had its chances. However they do have a weaker defense than Belgium. Good team defense often trumps all else in these rounds.

I am guessing its going to be a France vs Croatia final. England will lose to Croatia in the semi finals. France has a solid spine. Kante and Pogba are unmatched as a pairing. Its tough to go against the home country but I will. They have had their moment but I think the dream ends.

I am a bit annoyed at all the playacting trying to influence the referee. Its unmanly. Anyway, this is the best England team Ive seen since I started watching football. Or at the very least the most confident. The players seem to feel they belong there and seem immune to the notorious British press.

I'm excited about the season as well. I gavent been this excited about the start of an Arsenal season for a very long time. When we bought Podolski, Giroud and others I got my hopes up.

Post #488538  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 pm 

dec wrote:

Me neither. But Belgium going out would also have been sad to behold. That game should have been the final. It could have ended about 5-5. Brazil's ability to create chances against the massed defence was pretty amazing and they were unlucky (and Courtois was exceptional). But they were very lucky not to concede more, largely because Hazard went of the boil a bit in the middle of the game. Had they gone 3-0 down it might have degenerated into another rout.

Post #488539  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

Lovely. I watched this afternoons World Cup game on the tv in my hotel room here in Italy. Truly wonderful. The soundtrack was simply stadium noise. No stupid platitudes. No whinging “I could have done it better” experts. No hyping it up, or putting the mockers on it. Just the football. If only that option was available on Sky.

Post #488540  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Lovely. I watched this afternoons World Cup game on the tv in my hotel room here in Italy. Truly wonderful. The soundtrack was simply stadium noise. No stupid platitudes. No whinging “I could have done it better” experts. No hyping it up, or putting the mockers on it. Just the football. If only that option was available on Sky.

It should be. The idiot commentator on the BBC coverage was really winding me up. 'This is a WORLD CUP QUARTERFINAL England are winning comfortably !!!'... yeah ok but please keep in mind it was against a Swedish team who would be out of their depth in the championship. Look, I can understand the England team and fans enjoying their run, and I can certainly understand the excitement growing but ffs keep it in perspective. Especially those who are meant to be professional broadcasters.

Post #488541  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:02 pm 

John wrote:
The idiot commentator on the BBC coverage was really winding me up.

You're not the only one. I don't know his name but he was unbearable. I had to turn the sound down, even before I stopped watching it.

Post #488542  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm 

John wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

It should be. The idiot commentator on the BBC coverage was really winding me up. 'This is a WORLD CUP QUARTERFINAL England are winning comfortably !!!'... yeah ok but please keep in mind it was against a Swedish team who would be out of their depth in the championship. Look, I can understand the England team and fans enjoying their run, and I can certainly understand the excitement growing but ffs keep it in perspective. Especially those who are meant to be professional broadcasters.

It's because England have for as long as memory serves been shite. We're in the world cup semi final, and the comentator's comments were understandable given the context.

Post #488543  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm 

danny wrote:
John wrote:

It's because England have for as long as memory serves been shite. We're in the world cup semi final, and the comentator's comments were understandable given the context.

Now Russia are ahead!

If this carries on, England's run to the finals will resemble the Red Sea parting before the Israelites ...

Post #488544  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 pm 

John wrote:
The idiot commentator on the BBC coverage was really winding me up. 'This is a WORLD CUP QUARTERFINAL England are winning comfortably !!!'... yeah ok but please keep in mind it was against a Swedish team who would be out of their depth in the championship. Look, I can understand the England team and fans enjoying their run, and I can certainly understand the excitement growing but ffs keep it in perspective. Especially those who are meant to be professional broadcasters.

Well you better harden up or start watching re runs of the Galway Waterford grand final because next up you are going to get THIS IS A WORLD CUP SEMI FINAL
.... and judging by comical defending from Croatia and Russia its seems a formality you'll be copping THIS IS THE WORLD CUP FINAL .... and in a one off who knows Kane , Alli and Sterling could upset Belgium or the Froggies and then
EN......GL....AND ......... are the WORLD CHAMPIONS . :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #488545  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:
danny wrote:

Now Russia are ahead!

If this carries on, England's run to the finals will resemble the Red Sea parting before the Israelites ...

"Parting ".... ? . I don't think it is even there , it's been desalinated and used to irrigate citrus crops .

Post #488546  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 pm 

John wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I agree with all of that. But it’s not just that game. It’s all games now being totally ruined by inane blathering. It’s like having a moaning git behind you at the stadium.

Post #488547  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:24 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
.... and judging by comical defending from Croatia and Russia its seems a formality you'll be copping THIS IS THE WORLD CUP FINAL .... and in a one off who knows Kane , Alli and Sterling could upset Belgium or the Froggies and then

I make you right. I reckon England would beat either Croatia or Russia. Then in the final, in one-off games worse teams than England have beaten better sides than France or Belgium countless times before.

Post #488548  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I make you right. I reckon England would beat either Croatia or Russia. Then in the final, in one-off games worse teams than England have beaten better sides than France or Belgium countless times before.

True .... how Russia got past the first round is a mystery ..... they must be the worst team in the competition .

As you say get to the final all sorts of factors come into play ....dodgy ref decisions , nerves , luck

.... Arsenal supporters know all about that Swindon , Luton , Birmingham . Ipswich , West Ham

Post #488549  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

True .... how Russia got past the first round is a mystery ..... they must be the worst team in the competition .

As you say get to the final all sorts of factors come into play ....dodgy ref decisions , nerves , luck

.... Arsenal supporters know all about that Swindon , Luton , Birmingham . Ipswich , West Ham

Well it it very entertaining. Both of them will be exhausted after this and England will be fresh after their stroll in the park. Both don't underestimate home advantage if the Russians get through ...

Post #488550  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:12 pm 

Luka Modric is a magnificent footballer. The best midfielder in the world for me.

Post #488551  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I think you are underestimating Croatia.

Post #488552  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Well it it very entertaining. Both of them will be exhausted after this and England will be fresh after their stroll in the park. Both don't underestimate home advantage if the Russians get through ...

While you're right that Croatia had the more tiring game today, Bilic was a pundit for the ITV's coverage of the game and made a good point. Namely that Croatia's more difficult win may give them a bigger boost than England's stroll in the park will give them.

Post #488553  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 pm 

John wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Oh lighten up for God’s sake. Sweden won a group containing the highest ranked team in the World and then knocked out the team ranked sixth in the world. If that’s Championship level then what the hell is Ireland’s level?! Let me know if you want any ketchup for those chips on your shoulders :14laughter:

Post #488554  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:52 pm 

dec wrote:
Luka Modric is a magnificent footballer. The best midfielder in the world for me.

Absolutely fantastic player to watch. Shortest player on the pitch but head and shoulders above anyone else in footballing ability.

Post #488555  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don't think I am. Can Croatia beat England? Yes, definitely. I just think England have the better team with generally the better players. I'd thus expect England to beat Croatia more often than Croatia beat England. Doesn't guarantee anything on Wednesday. But I make England the more likely to win and therefore the favourites.

Post #488556  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 pm 

danny wrote:
John wrote:

This might be the common narrative but I don't think it's true. England were undoubtedly rubbish in the last World Cup and poor in the Euros. But since 1986, they have usually gone out to better teams. The so-called golden generation were unquestionably better than the current team. But they were never the best team in Europe, let alone the world.

Post #488557  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 pm 

danny wrote:
John wrote:

It's because England have for as long as memory serves been shite. We're in the world cup semi final,.

Which is all well and good and good luck to you, enjoy the ride. The commentator was awful though which is all I'm saying.

Post #488558  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
John wrote:

Oh lighten up for God’s sake. Sweden won a group containing the highest ranked team in the World and then knocked out the team ranked sixth in the world. If that’s Championship level then what the hell is Ireland’s level?! Let me know if you want any ketchup for those chips on your shoulders :14laughter:

I'd say we're about league 1. And if it helps our commentators are even worse than yours when we do manage to do well.

Post #488559  Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm 

dec wrote:
danny wrote:

This might be the common narrative but I don't think it's true. England were undoubtedly rubbish in the last World Cup and poor in the Euros. But since 1986, they have usually gone out to better teams. The so-called golden generation were unquestionably better than the current team. But they were never the best team in Europe, let alone the world.

Im not sure it is that unquestionable. What’s the “golden generation” line up when they’re all actually in their prime? Some talented players but lopsided and lacking. Beckham is the perfect example. Dead ball specialist, great crosser and self promoter. He wouldn’t be in my top 10 England players.

Post #488560  Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I don't think I am. Can Croatia beat England? Yes, definitely. I just think England have the better team with generally the better players. I'd thus expect England to beat Croatia more often than Croatia beat England. Doesn't guarantee anything on Wednesday. But I make England the more likely to win and therefore the favourites.

I think your probably right Bernard. Croatia have got 2 world class midfield players but England probably have a better overall first 11 with quality in different areas of the pitch. Should be a close thing

[ 571784 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12211, 12212, 12213, 12214, 12215, 12216, 12217 ... 14295  Next