Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 104 guests

Post #524761  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:
Because Lacazette's behaviour was absurd. There was nothing wrong with him yet he lay on the ground clutching his leg as if it had been caught in a bear-trap and screaming like a loon.

And this is the incident they choose to mock and highlights when players have been doing this all season, winning penalties and getting players sent off for it. Where was the BBC’s outrage over screaming when Longstaff the Newcastle player screamed to get smith-Rowe sent off which var over turned because he didn’t touch him? What about when Bruno Fernandes screamed when he stamped on a villa players leg and Bruno ended up winning a penalty? Should we expect a comedy fake dive from all the presenters for the next dive from Salah or Kane? Come on, we all know we’re a completely easy target in the media and this sort of thing is a factor is us getting decisions on the pitch.

I think it was little more than a bit of humour by MOTD. The programme has mentioned screaming before. I’d have thought on more than one occasion, but if it isn’t more than once I am 100% certain MOTD have discussed it. Lacazette’s was probably the most extreme example of it to date. So I guess they decided to lightheartedly take the Micky.

In my view it’s not a big deal and certainly nothing to get a persecution complex about.

Post #524762  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Not really he’s just a liability and I’m surprised how many fail to see it. Hence your daft comments about him being better than Partey :58big-emoticons:

Perhaps your grossly unfair treatment of Xhaka makes people more inclined to be positive about him? The same principle that makes some sympathetic to kids when they’re picked on by school ground bullies.

You mean like saying Xhaka is better than Partey and Partey plays like someone on crutches

Post #524763  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Perhaps your grossly unfair treatment of Xhaka makes people more inclined to be positive about him? The same principle that makes some sympathetic to kids when they’re picked on by school ground bullies.

You mean like saying Xhaka is better than Partey and Partey plays like someone on crutches

The crutches comment was a humorous amplification of it, as I’m even sure you must realise. Didn’t LTG mention it as well? It was a tongue in cheek, lighthearted reference to his slow start. Nothing more, nothing less. Not to be taken literally, just used to emphasise the general point which I stand by.

But I don’t ever remember saying Xhaka is conclusively better than Partey, even if it has happened in odd games, which I don’t recall but isn’t impossible.

Post #524764  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:23 am 

[quote="TOP GUN"][quote="david.d"]Was just thinking
Would a season out of Europe be a good thing or bad thing?
Finance wise obviously bad but would it harm us on the pitch.
More saturday kick offs.
More free weeks.[/quote]
I think considering this weeks results it would be an absolute disaster financially but on a footballing level a good thing.[/quote]
Considering Arsenal finances, this is where it is for now.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... 0-19976877

Post #524765  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:28 am 

The VAR referee just didn't want us to have the penalty. These bunch of referees are twisted. Unfortunate us.

Post #524766  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:31 am 

A player's error led to the equaliser. No arguments there. Whether he is good enough or not, is not the question here. The fact is his poor pass gave away a goal. Score a goal, give away a goal, those are facts (we see it with our eyes). He must feel very sorry for it, and we feel frustrated with him. End of.

Post #524767  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
And this is the incident they choose to mock and highlights when players have been doing this all season, winning penalties and getting players sent off for it. Where was the BBC’s outrage over screaming when Longstaff the Newcastle player screamed to get smith-Rowe sent off which var over turned because he didn’t touch him? What about when Bruno Fernandes screamed when he stamped on a villa players leg and Bruno ended up winning a penalty? Should we expect a comedy fake dive from all the presenters for the next dive from Salah or Kane? Come on, we all know we’re a completely easy target in the media and this sort of thing is a factor is us getting decisions on the pitch.

I think it was little more than a bit of humour by MOTD. The programme has mentioned screaming before. I’d have thought on more than one occasion, but if it isn’t more than once I am 100% certain MOTD have discussed it. Lacazette’s was probably the most extreme example of it to date. So I guess they decided to lightheartedly take the Micky.

In my view it’s not a big deal and certainly nothing to get a persecution complex about.

The problem is that Lacazette now becomes the poster boy for this sort of thing which is unfair. This plays in to the subconscious of referees as well.
Would anyone believe MOTD would have done that piece on an English player? Can we expect the same level of micky taking on the next player to dive for a penalty?

Post #524768  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:40 am 

The thing with that MOTD micky taking is why pick that incident when they could have made a stand over this before, and could have called out diving in a micky taking way and could have called out players holding their faces and rolling around when there was no contact to their face. These actions are designed to win penalties and get players sent off.
What would the very frosty Klopp or Pep say if MOTD had highlighted one of their players doing any of the above in such a way? Would they have done this to a player managed by Sean Dyche....or an English player or to Leicester or Spurs - Lineker’s two teams? Mourinho would go apoplectic if this was done on MOTD to one of his players.
Like all things I’m happy to see it as long as others are given the same treatment.

Post #524769  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Well you didn’t specify Xhaka before did you. Which considering you take every single opportunity to criticise him surprises me if you really only meant it was him. There’s nothing at all for me to “keep schtum” about, as you put it. Partey has made a slow start to his Arsenal career. His contribution to Arsenal’s goal today doesn’t change that. As I’ve said repeatedly I believe he’ll end up a fine signing. But it’s not unreasonable to suggest he has to improve to do that. Obsession can be an unhealthy characteristic. Perhaps you should seek clinical advice over your obsession with Xhaka.

You must be related to Xhaka. You only see the good stuff and put blinkers on to avoid the rest. Partey in a wheelchair has the edge over Granit and you’d deny it.

This would have to be the most ironic post of all time on this forum. TG accusing someone of only seeing the good stuff and putting blinkers on.
:53big-emoticons:

Post #524770  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:18 am 

Handball in the penalty area seems to have a different set of rules to elsewhere on the pitch. It shows the referees are cowards and not fit for purpose. That Pieters handball is given anywhere else on the pitch without argument. VAR was bought in to correct these absolute howler decisions.

Post #524771  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The problem is that Lacazette now becomes the poster boy for this sort of thing which is unfair. This plays in to the subconscious of referees as well.
Would anyone believe MOTD would have done that piece on an English player? Can we expect the same level of micky taking on the next player to dive for a penalty?

Lacazette’s behaviour yesterday was the most extreme example of screaming I’ve seen, or should that be heard, so far. That’s why I imagine MOTD picked it out. You’re right, it may well play into the subconscious of referees if he screams in the future. But you can also argue he brought that on himself, if it does. You ask if they’d do that on an English player, or someone playing under another manager? Until someone else does something so extreme, we won’t know, will we?

Anyway, Lacazette is likely to move on in the summer so even if it does play into the subconscious of referees my guess is it doesn’t matter much as I do think that it’ll be associated with Lacazette personally rather than Arsenal players in general.

Post #524772  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:00 am 

One of the stranger things in football is people’s view that once a player has a yellow card that he is then running close to a red card for any foul thereafter. Dyche was complaining that Saka should have been sent off. Now we’ve seen that for ‘normal fouls’ so not one that attracts a yellow in isolation that refs are reluctant to give yellow cards for accumulating fouls until the player has at least 3 but more likely 4/5. So surely that same logic applies when a player already has a yellow. Of course fans and managers won’t see it that way but based on accumulation a player on a yellow still has 3-4 normal fouls before he’s given a 2nd yellow

Post #524773  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You must be related to Xhaka. You only see the good stuff and put blinkers on to avoid the rest. Partey in a wheelchair has the edge over Granit and you’d deny it.

This would have to be the most ironic post of all time on this forum. TG accusing someone of only seeing the good stuff and putting blinkers on.

You mean like saying you didn’t want Tierney anywhere near our club like before he even had kicked a ball for us :laughing7: :laughing7:

May Camilla Parker Bowles be your queen forever

Post #524774  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:05 am 

Zed wrote:

Hi Zed. We must also remember that in early January Arsenal took a £120m short-term loan that I’ve read has to be paid back in May. With the club’s losses and having to pay back the loan, I’ve seen an interesting hypothesis elsewhere. Namely that rather than Arsenal’s transfer budget being a ‘net zero’ this summer where the transfer fees received for players sold can be spent on new signings, it’ll actually be zero full stop.

If so, any transfer fees received for whatever selection of players are actually sold will be put towards loan signings instead of permanent incoming transfers. I obviously have no idea who will or won’t be sold. But I’ve seen the likes of Lacazette, Bellerin, Guendouzi, Nketiah, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Elneny all mentioned as possible candidates for the conveyor belt out.

But the idea is the transfer fees received for whoever goes won’t be spent on new permanent signings but on players taken on loan. The left over total from the players sold will be used to cover losses and pay off debts. Let me clarify that I don’t know how valid this hypothesis is or isn’t. But I have heard it. If it is true, the turnover in players that many want to see will focus heavily on outs rather than ins, which probably isn’t the sort of turnover people are hoping for.

Post #524775  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:06 am 

https://youtu.be/o4mXMkcTyps
You can hear the scream of the Newcastle player here, Smith-Rowe didn’t actually touch him, unlike the Lacazette one, and this also was a red card which was over turned on VAR, and this was also live on the bbc. All I’m saying is if you’re going to make a stand and micky take screaming then here was the perfect example as it highlights how refs are being fooled by screaming and cheating players!

Post #524776  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
You’re right, it may well play into the subconscious of referees if he screams in the future. But you can also argue he brought that on himself, if it does. You ask if they’d do that on an English player, or someone playing under another manager? Until someone else does something so extreme, we won’t know, will we?

Anyway, Lacazette is likely to move on in the summer so even if it does play into the subconscious of referees my guess is it doesn’t matter much as I do think that it’ll be associated with Lacazette personally rather than Arsenal players in general.

So like Kane and Salah’s constant diving? I’ve not seen this so publicly called out by supposedly unbiased media outlets and also haven’t seen any evidence from referees that these players have developed a reputation in such a way to not get these decisions as they are now deemed ‘marked men’.
Hopefully if Lacazette moves on any stigma or bias moves with him not sticking with Arsenal but I highly doubt that. We’re still reminded about Pires dive v Portsmouth and are tarnished with that some 17 years later

When experts, including ex refs went to great lengths to explain why Luiz red card v Wolves was correct there was a lot of comment about Luiz having done this before, which he has but should be irrelevant when judging an incident in isolation. So I do believe certain players are more or less likely to get a good/bad decision completely based on the well peddled perception about them and very high profile outlets like MOTD have a huge influence on that.

Post #524777  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You’re right, it may well play into the subconscious of referees if he screams in the future. But you can also argue he brought that on himself, if it does. You ask if they’d do that on an English player, or someone playing under another manager? Until someone else does something so extreme, we won’t know, will we?

So like Kane and Salah’s constant diving? I’ve not seen this so publicly called out by supposedly unbiased media outlets and also haven’t seen any evidence from referees that these players have developed a reputation in such a way to not get these decisions as they are now deemed ‘marked men’.
Hopefully if Lacazette moves on any stigma or bias moves with him not sticking with Arsenal but I highly doubt that. We’re still reminded about Pires dive v Portsmouth and are tarnished with that some 17 years later

When experts, including ex refs went to great lengths to explain why Luiz red card v Wolves was correct there was a lot of comment about Luiz having done this before, which he has but should be irrelevant when judging an incident in isolation. So I do believe certain players are more or less likely to get a good/bad decision completely based on the well peddled perception about them and very high profile outlets like MOTD have a huge influence on that.

Rich, I don’t think Pires’ dive has made Arsenal as a club perceived as divers. I accept that some players are more perceived to be divers than others, but I don’t think that applies to any unusual extent to Arsenal’s current squad. So sorry but I just don’t think your point about Pires is valid. Seriously, how often do you see his dive against Portsmouth mentioned? Because I can’t recall the last time and I don’t think it’s ‘tarnished’ the reputation of the club.

I do think the Lacazette case yesterday was the most extreme case of screaming I’ve heard. Plenty of players scream and it has been mentioned on MOTD. But I have never seen anything like that before and in my opinion, that’s what led to MOTD deciding to take the Micky out of it.

Post #524778  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

You mean like saying you didn’t want Tierney anywhere near our club like before he even had kicked a ball for us :laughing7: :laughing7:

Did I say those words? Or again is that the voices you heard in your head. Well let’s see, for a bloke who wasn’t injury prone he certainly took a while to debut. But perhaps in your skewed views you only see the good stuff.

Post #524779  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hi Zed. We must also remember that in early January Arsenal took a £120m short-term loan that I’ve read has to be paid back in May. With the club’s losses and having to pay back the loan, I’ve seen an interesting hypothesis elsewhere. Namely that rather than Arsenal’s transfer budget being a ‘net zero’ this summer where the transfer fees received for players sold can be spent on new signings, it’ll actually be zero full stop.

If so, any transfer fees received for whatever selection of players are actually sold will be put towards loan signings instead of permanent incoming transfers. I obviously have no idea who will or won’t be sold. But I’ve seen the likes of Lacazette, Bellerin, Guendouzi, Nketiah, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Elneny all mentioned as possible candidates for the conveyor belt out.

But the idea is the transfer fees received for whoever goes won’t be spent on new permanent signings but on players taken on loan. The left over total from the players sold will be used to cover losses and pay off debts. Let me clarify that I don’t know how valid this hypothesis is or isn’t. But I have heard it. If it is true, the turnover in players that many want to see will focus heavily on outs rather than ins, which probably isn’t the sort of turnover people are hoping for.

Hi Bernard,

I keep hearing people talking about it being a big summer. Well, in order for it to be a great summer signings-wise I suspect it will first need to be a great summer sales-wise.

Unfortunately, the Covid effect means most clubs are strapped for cash and it will be hard to shift players for the kind of money we might have got for them a couple of seasons ago, especially those on large salaries as we have already seen.

The flip side is that potential incoming transfers, bar a few exceptions, will likely be cheaper than they would have been a couple of seasons ago as cash-strapped clubs are forced to sell.

Our scouting needs to be brilliant and we need to snap up some players who are young wih the potential to be big players or some who are flying under the radar.

I can't see us having a large net transfer spend this summer, unless Kroenke changes tack.

I'm not a fan of loans without an option to buy but, as you mention, we may see more of these types of short-term deals.

Post #524780  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Did I say those words? .

Yes you did

Post #524781  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Still think that Tierney shouldn’t be anywhere near our club ?

Words can haunt you cuz

he done *%^@ all so far

Like this

Post #524782  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:02 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

I keep hearing people talking about it being a big summer. Well, in order for it to be a great summer signings-wise I suspect it will first need to be a great summer sales-wise.

Unfortunately, the Covid effect means most clubs are strapped for cash and it will be hard to shift players for the kind of money we might have got for them a couple of seasons ago, especially those on large salaries as we have already seen.

The flip side is that potential incoming transfers, bar a few exceptions, will likely be cheaper than they would have been a couple of seasons ago as cash-strapped clubs are forced to sell.

Our scouting needs to be brilliant and we need to snap up some players who are young wih the potential to be big players or some who are flying under the radar.

I can't see us having a large net transfer spend this summer, unless Kroenke changes tack.

I'm not a fan of loans without an option to buy but, as you mention, we may see more of these types of short-term deals.

Morning socrates. I agree there is a flip side to the equation in that most clubs are also hard up in comparison to before, and will therefore be looking to move players on themselves. So players will be available. Our scouting has to be top notch because if it isn’t and we recruit duds on loan, we could be in trouble (albeit in less trouble than signing them on permanent deals). If we are looking mostly at loan deals, an option to buy is the ideal scenario without a commitment to buy in case they don’t work out.

But with Arsenal there is another complication, the £120m Bank of England loan. Apart from Tottenham who definitely have, I wonder who else has taken one? Because paying the Bank of England loan back in May is a big financial commitment that is approaching very fast. The start of May is in eight weeks and the end of May is twelve weeks off. Something between eight and twelve weeks will fly buy.

The more I think about it, the more the hypothesis makes sense, assuming as you imply Stan is not going to change tack. So I think it is feasible that Arsenal’s turnover in players will be as many sold as possible, to be replaced by loans or anyone who arrives on a free transfer or a fee that’s little more than the cost of a cup of coffee and sandwich at a cheap cafe.

Post #524783  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

Morning socrates. I agree there is a flip side to the equation in that most clubs are also hard up in comparison to before, and will therefore be looking to move players on themselves. So players will be available. Our scouting has to be top notch because if it isn’t and we recruit duds on loan, we could be in trouble (albeit in less trouble than signing them on permanent deals). If we are looking mostly at loan deals, an option to buy is the ideal scenario without a commitment to buy in case they don’t work out.

But with Arsenal there is another complication, the £120m Bank of England loan. Apart from Tottenham who definitely have, I wonder who else has taken one? Because paying the Bank of England loan back in May is a big financial commitment that is approaching very fast. The start of May is in eight weeks and the end of May is twelve weeks off. Something between eight and twelve weeks will fly buy.

The more I think about it, the more the hypothesis makes sense, assuming as you imply Stan is not going to change tack. So I think it is feasible that Arsenal’s turnover in players will be as many sold as possible, to be replaced by loans or anyone who arrives on a free transfer or a fee that’s little more the cost of a cup of coffee and sandwich at a cheap cafe.

That loan is the big unknown.

Did we take because we had to, because it made economic sense or for some other reason.

Will Stan pay it off from his own money (in which case why did we take out the loan in the first place) or will it be a millstone around the neck of the club because we will effectively be paying it off from summer transfer money and beyond.

I don't think anyone really knows and if we don't make it into europe (assuming we don't win the EL which is very unlikely) then it could be a very difficult summer.

Post #524784  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 am 

Watching match of the day. Couple of observations

Thought their analysis of the Xhaka cock up was good and that it highlighted it was an individual error. How anyone could watch that and suggest we need to change our entire system is beyond me he had 3 passes on but kicked it straight to their player.

The Lacazette scream segment thing was in my opinion silly and bad programming. They are supposed to be impartial and ultimately it’s not a comedy show. They could do a segment like that for every single game. How about an entire segment devoted to Sean Dyche and the total bollocks he speaks. If you think back to the Des Lynam days something like this wasn’t acceptable. I will say I think Ian Wright and Lineker usually make decent viewing but there’s a few signs they might be getting ahead of themselves.

Post #524785  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

But the idea is the transfer fees received for whoever goes won’t be spent on new permanent signings but on players taken on loan. The left over total from the players sold will be used to cover losses and pay off debts. .

Jesus we will be treading water for years if this is the case. I doubt we would be able to progress for several years without a new owner providing more money and that won’t occur

Post #524786  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

They could do a section on Man City’s weekly cynical fouling from Fernandinho to stop counter attacks. Or how about a section on Harry Kane’s habitual cheating .

Why Lacazette ? Kane cheats every week and his diving is absurd

Post #524787  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But the idea is the transfer fees received for whoever goes won’t be spent on new permanent signings but on players taken on loan. The left over total from the players sold will be used to cover losses and pay off debts. .

Jesus we will be treading water for years if this is the case. I doubt we would be able to progress for several years without a new owner providing more money and that won’t occur

With Stan as the owner you might as well get used to it. People can moan all they like about Arteta, Xhaka, Willian or any other player. The biggest problem is Kroenke.

Post #524788  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

With Stan as the owner you might as well get used to it. People can moan all they like about Arteta, Xhaka, Willian or any other player. The biggest problem is Kroenke.

This is kinda what I said the other day when I asked ..

1) do you believe Josh Kroenke has the necessary qualifications and experience to appoint a manager and technical director of a major European football club?

2) do you believe you will see Arsenal return to a position where we are competing for major trophies whilst Stanley Kroenke is owner ?

3) do you believe if Wenger was allowed to continue after 2018 we would have improved or got worse than our 6th place ?

4) considering your answers to points 1+2+3 do you believe the timing and content of Michael Artetas substitutions are having a major impact to our direction as a club?

Post #524789  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

They could do a section on Man City’s weekly cynical fouling from Fernandinho to stop counter attacks. Or how about a section on Harry Kane’s habitual cheating .

Programmes like MOTD will definitely sit on the fence or defend someone like Kane. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard he’s ‘being clever’ or ‘has every right to go down’ or ‘if he doesn’t go down he doesn’t get the penalty’ I think the thing that irked with MOTD last night was that they were taking the pi$$ out of Lacazette, and even if MOTD has called out diving or divers before it has never been done in such a sarcastic and micky taking way.
Do this for everyone, same as the rules on the pitch and I’ll fully support it. I want to see more strict refs and more retrospective punishment and more like this called out by all and sundry because I can guarantee that Arsenal would fair very well in this respect of everyone was treated the same.

Post #524790  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 pm 

Cheering for Liverpool and Man Utd today. Grudgingly of course. :20hospitals:

Post #524791  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:23 pm 

Is there anything more boring, pathetic yet depressingly British about this Megan markle, Harry, royal family nonsense. Makes the whole country look ridiculous. Just leave them be otherwise the world will think we are complete twats (if they still don’t!)

Post #524792  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm 

In the summer I can certainly see there being essentially zero budget but Arteta being given any funds raised from transfers to strengthen the squad.
We should also remember there are some vast wages that have or are coming off the wage bill next year that saves £50m odd over a season and pretty much none of those players we've shifted need to be replaced in terms of quality or quantity of players. Certainly some more loan moves, which I think will be more popular moves than ever before.

Post #524793  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:40 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I can't see the logic in either decision. I'll be cheering for Fulham and City without hesitation.
City will run away with the title and that's what we need them to do, beat everyone else and embarrass a few teams on the way, especially Man U! The further Liverpool fall the longer it takes them to get back, another home loss vs Fulham of all teams would be funny.

Post #524794  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:47 pm 

I read online some Liverpool fans have set up a gofundme page to try to raise £250m to sign Mbappe. Their theory is there are 100 million Liverpool fans worldwide so they all just need to contribute £2.50 each. They have said all the money will be refunded if they don't hit their target.

Of course it is a bonkers idea and there is no way they will get within a mile of the target, but it did get me thinking what stops this working on a smaller scale.

We know about FFP rules but what is to stop a group of fans setting up a similar style fund and trying to raise £10m and effectively gifting that money to the club on the basis of it going only in to the transfer kitty. It could be used as 'sponsorship' money for a page in the match day programme. What is there in FFP that stops this sort of thing happening?

Of course fans pay for these signings with tickets, merchandise, stadium tours etc but there would be people willing to put their hand in their pocket again if they knew the money was going directly to a new transfer.

Post #524795  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm 

Rangers have wrapped up the Scottish Title. Huge credit to Steven Gerrard for what he's done there. I think there will be more than a few people working out his next managerial move.....

Post #524796  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I can't see the logic in either decision. I'll be cheering for Fulham and City without hesitation.
City will run away with the title and that's what we need them to do, beat everyone else and embarrass a few teams on the way, especially Man U! The further Liverpool fall the longer it takes them to get back, another home loss vs Fulham of all teams would be funny.

I hope Liverpool replaces Chelsea in the top 4. My personal choice between Chelsea and Liverpool being in the top 4, I'll take Liverpool every day, twice on Sundays. I loathe Chelsea.

City is on a red hot streak. I don't want that middle east money rewarded any longer. City will win the title. No doubt about that. I want their streak to end. Simple really.

Post #524797  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
I read online some Liverpool fans have set up a gofundme page to try to raise £250m to sign Mbappe. Their theory is there are 100 million Liverpool fans worldwide so they all just need to contribute £2.50 each. They have said all the money will be refunded if they don't hit their target.

Of course it is a bonkers idea and there is no way they will get within a mile of the target, but it did get me thinking what stops this working on a smaller scale.

We know about FFP rules but what is to stop a group of fans setting up a similar style fund and trying to raise £10m and effectively gifting that money to the club on the basis of it going only in to the transfer kitty. It could be used as 'sponsorship' money for a page in the match day programme. What is there in FFP that stops this sort of thing happening?

Of course fans pay for these signings with tickets, merchandise, stadium tours etc but there would be people willing to put their hand in their pocket again if they knew the money was going directly to a new transfer.

I have effectively gifted money to the club this season. £59. In fact all silver members ended up doing just that.

Post #524798  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 pm 

Sad to say I didn't appreciate this wholly American made and wonderful form of music till later in my life. I went to uni in the deepest of the deep south and for the first time this Yankee boy heard the various forms of jazz and blues. I learned its not all the same. There were Delta blues, Memphis blues, other styles and the same for Jazz. I thought it was all one prior and in uni I didn't really appreciate it till later, reminiscing and such.

I recall hearing once that in Soviet Russia, the Blues was smuggled in and popular. That Russians didn't understand the English but knew instinctively the music and cadence, etc, spoke of a similar plight and a people who understood the same type of plight they were enduring.

Post #524799  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Programmes like MOTD will definitely sit on the fence or defend someone like Kane. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard he’s ‘being clever’ or ‘has every right to go down’ or ‘if he doesn’t go down he doesn’t get the penalty’ I think the thing that irked with MOTD last night was that they were taking the pi$$ out of Lacazette, and even if MOTD has called out diving or divers before it has never been done in such a sarcastic and micky taking way.
Do this for everyone, same as the rules on the pitch and I’ll fully support it. I want to see more strict refs and more retrospective punishment and more like this called out by all and sundry because I can guarantee that Arsenal would fair very well in this respect of everyone was treated the same.

Didn't watch MotD but have seen Screamgate online. That's meant to be humour is it. Embarrassing and pathetic are the words that leap to mind. How old is Lineker, 12?

Post #524800  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:28 pm 

Neil deGrasse Tyson

We’re just sayin’. To abolish mask-wearing laws in some States while the rest of the Nation keeps theirs is like designating a peeing section of the swimming pool.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13117, 13118, 13119, 13120, 13121, 13122, 13123 ... 14269  Next