Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 247 guests

Post #547081  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I quite like the idea of VAR for clear and obvious error. That should be a rarity.

Ultra marginal offsides, and the daft new handball laws that seem to change each season are an abomination.

As is the nonsense where there is clear offside but the assistant referee keeps his flag down.

Might an answer be to not show VAR replays in slow motion, and only once? Then if a referee has made an obvious error, wouldn’t it become clear if shown at normal speed without the need to look at it time and time again?

Post #547082  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I quite like the idea of VAR for clear and obvious error. That should be a rarity.

Ultra marginal offsides, and the daft new handball laws that seem to change each season are an abomination.

As is the nonsense where there is clear offside but the assistant referee keeps his flag down.

Might an answer be to not show VAR replays in slow motion, and only once? Then if a referee has made an obvious error, wouldn’t it become clear if shown at normal speed without the need to look at it time and time again?

That makes a lot of sense.

Post #547083  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:06 pm 

Once again we see decision for other key rivals that we just don’t get. That handball today, compare that to the handball we weren’t given vs Brentford when the guys arm was above his head as he blocked a shot. Or that one Pépé should have had v Burnley last season when the Burnley player basically slapped the ball away.

2 soft penalties in 2 must win games. Things to not even out over a season we have no doubt had the rough end of things. Some vital undeniable decisions. That red card v palace when he swiped Saka was so clear. I don’t think we draw that game is the red is given.

Post #547084  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:16 pm 

With Holding definitely suspended, if Gabriel and White are unavailable for selection tomorrow (or even one of them), does the decision to send Mari out on loan look a little hasty?

Post #547085  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:16 pm 

john1 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Still hoping Liverpool pips City to the title. Putting distance between them and Man Utd for most titles and a stronger possiblity of a quadruple and reducing the significance of the '99 treble, albeit it, it will always remian an incredible accomplishment. Just not as incredible. :7laughter:

He's got absolutely no idea has he?

None whatsoever.

Post #547086  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
With Holding definitely suspended, if Gabriel and White are unavailable for selection tomorrow (or even one of them), does the decision to send Mari out on loan look a little hasty?

White I expect to play under the circumstances given that he was on the bench for Tottenham.
Not sure if Gabriel is definitely out or if they can patch him up.
If not, perhaps Tomiyasu moves to centre back and then Cédric should play rb and either Nuno or Xhaka left back. Despite some shaky performances I'd prefer Nuno, as we need Xhaka in the midfield.

Post #547087  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 pm 

Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Burnley

Post #547088  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:45 pm 

Quite amazing. Man City have just gone two down.

Post #547089  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

None whatsoever.

City 2-0 down. They're not going to choke again surely!

Post #547090  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:50 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

White I expect to play under the circumstances given that he was on the bench for Tottenham.
Not sure if Gabriel is definitely out or if they can patch him up.
If not, perhaps Tomiyasu moves to centre back and then Cédric should play rb and either Nuno or Xhaka left back. Despite some shaky performances I'd prefer Nuno, as we need Xhaka in the midfield.

If we do somehow get fourth, we will really have gotten away with it. The cat with nine lives.

Post #547091  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:57 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

None whatsoever.

Bloody West Ham are winning 2-0. If Liverpool win the quadruple we’d literally never hear the sodding end of it. You’re both right. He has absolutely no idea if he wants them to win all four. None whatsoever. A vile club supported by truly obnoxious fans.

Post #547092  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I would say that selling Chambers was a more influential decision as he can cover right back and even defensive midfield.

Post #547093  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
None whatsoever.

Bloody West Ham are winning 2-0. If Liverpool win the quadruple we’d literally never hear the sodding end of it. You’re both right. He has absolutely no idea if he wants them to win all four. None whatsoever. Their fan base are truly obnoxious.

Grealish has got one back for City.

And now it's 2-2.

Post #547094  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:21 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I would say that selling Chambers was a more influential decision as he can cover right back and even defensive midfield.

Yeah. The only reason I didn’t mention Chambers was that he was sold on a permanent transfer whereas Mari was sent on loan.

Post #547095  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:38 pm 

Brilliant. City have equalised. Hopefully time for them to get a winner.

Post #547096  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:52 pm 

In the gutting event that we don't make top 4 I will be extremely disappointed and *%^@** off that we have let those *%^@ in.
I hate kane son and conte. With an absolute passion.
More and more as the season has wore on.
Champions league is huge in terms of the finances, the type of player we can attract and the prestige of the competition.
Having said that I don't think The europa league is the end of the world.
Yes I know we don't like the Thursday Sunday sequence but I'm just delighted we will be getting European football back and being totally realistic we will be in the champions league to make up the numbers whereas we can genuinely win the europa league. Also if the league isn't going right then it's another pathway to qualify for the champions league.
I'll happily take europa if we unfortunately miss out on 4th.

Post #547097  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Brilliant. City have equalised. Hopefully time for them to get a winner.

Time for Fabianski to stop them winning as it turned out. :laughing7:

Post #547098  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:02 pm 

david.d wrote:
In the gutting event that we don't make top 4 I will be extremely disappointed and *%^@** off that we have let those *%^@ in.
Champions league is huge in terms of the finances, the type of player we can attract and the prestige of the competition.
Yes I know we don't like the Thursday Sunday sequence but I'm just delighted we will be getting European football back and being totally realistic we will be in the champions league to make up the numbers whereas we can genuinely win the europa league. Also if the league isn't going right then it's another pathway to qualify for the champions league.

I think getting into the Champions League is massively important because of, as you say, the money it will bring in and the quality of players we can attract.

I realise it would take a miracle to win the Champions League and we’d have a realistic chance of winning the Europa League. But I suspect that’s going to be less of an issue because we’d quite possibly end up in the Europa League from finishing third in the group stage anyway. That, along with the extra money and better recruitment opportunities the Champions League would bring, makes getting into it crucial.

Post #547099  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:38 pm 

david.d wrote:

Irrespective of where each club finishes if you look at the two teams it’s clear which position I’d prefer to be in.
Spurs best 3 players are Kane, son, Lloris, each are approaching or over 30. I think Kane will still want a move, he wants to win things and he surely knows he’s not doing that at spurs. They won’t get £150m for him and their values are depreciating all the time.
Their manager only has 12 months left on his deal and has hinted at any opportunity this season he’s ready to chuck it in and look for something better - make no mistake, he took the spurs job to get back in to football and put himself in the shop window.
Spurs also are already £75m down in the summer if they make Romero and Kulesevski deals permanent, so that’s £75m to stand still.
They also have this huge debt on t stadium that needs servicing and still haven’t found a sponsor for it.
Then look at us, main squad is under 23, we’ve got to 4/5th without a serious striker and with a wafer thin squad - the easy betterment of our squad is clear to see.
Also we have a manager committed to dominant attacking football whereas spurs have a manager who plays negative football relying on the other team having the ball and two strikers who bail them out with stupendous finishing. We had two of our crucial parts of our team missing injured, if Kane and Son get injured or leave Spurs are a bottom half team.
Conte will demand huge money in the summer and might just be backed by Levy but I’m not convinced that team can be much better next season. I do think they will struggle to replicate some of their results.
And for all the talk of us not having European football this year neither really did spurs, they played 5 conference league games without their main or best players and that’s it

Post #547100  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:

I think getting into the Champions League is massively important because of, as you say, the money it will bring in and the quality of players we can attract.

I realise it would take a miracle to win the Champions League and we’d have a realistic chance of winning the Europa League. But I suspect that’s going to be less of an issue because we’d quite possibly end up in the Europa League from finishing third in the group stage anyway. That, along with the extra money and better recruitment opportunities the Champions League would bring, makes getting into it crucial.

Getting Cl and finishing 3rd in the group would actually be a good deal in many ways.

Post #547101  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:50 pm 

Our season has been derailed by injuries and cheating.

There is no justice in this world, it’s a mean and nasty place.

Might have to go full Darren tomorrow night or do something more cheerful like renting schindlers list on box office or something

The world is poison, opt out of everything. There’s no future

Post #547102  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Getting Cl and finishing 3rd in the group would actually be a good deal in many ways.

Exactly. Extra Champions League money for getting into it, being able to recruit better players this summer by being in it, and then subsequently having a realistic chance of winning the Europa League. Arguably it could even be approaching the ideal scenario.

Post #547103  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Our season has been derailed by injuries and cheating.

There is no justice in this world, it’s a mean and nasty place.

Might have to go full Darren tomorrow night or do something more cheerful like renting schindlers list on box office or something

The world is poison, opt out of everything. There’s no future

:14laughter:

Post #547104  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:01 pm 

You are supposed to teach your kids values. Be polite, treat people as you would yourself, don’t cheat, be honest, be kind, behave with integrity.

Why though ? I’ll tell you why

SO WHEN THEY INEVITABLY GET SCREWED OVER LIKE THE REST OF US DO THEY WILL KNOW IT!

Resist this nonsense. None of this anymore. Those values get you nowhere that’s the truth

Post #547105  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:10 pm 

Just give in. Let’s make a pact for next season and go full VAR

Happily married nah let’s start hammering the Highbury Thai massage parlour after home games. Appreciating the football? no way we should go full hunter s Thompson for home games and drink and take drugs to excess. Screw your tax return, vote ukip, start retweeting Nigel farage, buy the express. Start listening to Phil Collins then at dinner parties tell the bored guests how incredible he is for 45 minutes. Nothing matters anymore. It’s *%^@*** over

Post #547106  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:17 pm 

Looks like Everton are still going to be fighting relegation when they come to us.

Post #547107  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Happily married nah let’s start hammering the Highbury Thai massage parlour after home games. Appreciating the football? no way we should go full hunter s Thompson for home games and drink and take drugs to excess. Screw your tax return, vote ukip, start retweeting Nigel farage, buy the express. Start listening to Phil Collins then at dinner parties tell the bored guests how incredible he is for 45 minutes. Nothing matters anymore. It’s *%^@*** over

Has your medication stopped working? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #547108  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:20 pm 

Wow. Second red for Everton. Perhaps they won’t have any players left to field against us. :14laughter:

Post #547109  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:21 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Has your medication stopped working? :icon_mrgreen:

I’ve given up on the belief of equal opportunity and integrity. It’s rigged.

This is the matrix just most haven’t realised it yet. Join the club

Post #547110  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:24 pm 

That Everton side has been a complete disgrace this season they deserve to be relegated. Burnley would have been a point off them or better. Honestly I hope we batter them regardless and they go down

Post #547111  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:39 pm 

Saliba has won the young player of the year award in France.
Previous winners were the £60m+ rated Tchoumeni and the 3 years before that were won by Mbappe. He’s in good company

Post #547112  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
That Everton side has been a complete disgrace this season they deserve to be relegated. Burnley would have been a point off them or better. Honestly I hope we batter them regardless and they go down

Awful that we lost to them. That was one of our worst performances of the season, and you can pick two awful ref decisions not to give straight refs for 2 tackles and then Nketiah hit the post with a sitter to win it just before they WD g and won it, even with the last kick Aubameyang had a more than decent chance to snatch a draw

Post #547113  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Previous winners were the £60m+ rated Tchoumeni and the 3 years before that were won by Mbappe. He’s in good company

Hopefully this will help us get a better fee so we can sell him.

Post #547114  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Majority of PL refs wear microphones, if not mistaken. So wouldn't it behoove them after a VAR review to announce over a the PA system in the stadium, what the final decision of play is? Be it a goal kick, penalty, a corner, a sending off, etc. That way obviously the frustration, time consuming ordeal of what the final decision is, is reduced. Well one would hope anyway.

Post #547115  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hopefully this will help us get a better fee so we can sell him.

Assuming Tomiyasu will primarily be used as a right back, surely we’ll need more central defenders than White, Gabriel and Holding with the extra games in Europe? If Saliba is that good and he’s willing to stay, why sell him when we’ll need to replace him? Then he can compete with Holding to be the initial back up when White or Gabriel are injured, suspended or rested.

Realistically we know Holding won’t get ahead of White or Gabriel to be an automatic first choice for the starting eleven. At least we don’t yet know that of Saliba.

Post #547116  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 pm 

These are the frustrations fans feel. This wasn’t given as a penalty for Everton. He’s nearly ripped his shirt right off him.
I get that still images and slow mo aren’t always the best view but a shirt pull is a shirt pull.

Attachments:

Post #547117  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:01 pm 

Zed wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Majority of PL refs wear microphones, if not mistaken. So wouldn't it behoove them after a VAR review to announce over a the PA system in the stadium, what the final decision of play is? Be it a goal kick, penalty, a corner, a sending off, etc. That way obviously the frustration, time consuming ordeal of what the final decision is, is reduced. Well one would hope anyway.

Will announcing the decision over the PA system reduce the time it takes to reach a VAR decision though, which is surely the main issue?

Post #547118  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:06 am 

Must win, must win, must win ........................ and we will! Then we will celebrate like we just won the league :26encouragement:

Post #547119  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 am 

Rich wrote:
These are the frustrations fans feel. This wasn’t given as a penalty for Everton. He’s nearly ripped his shirt right off him.
I get that still images and slow mo aren’t always the best view but a shirt pull is a shirt pull.

Richarlison could have just been walking over a subway vent.

Post #547120  Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:40 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Must win, must win, must win ........................ and we will! Then we will celebrate like we just won the league :26encouragement:

Or Tottenham will, Conte will explode with over enthusiastic cuddles of pure joy with his staff, will get paraded around the field on his players shoulders and they'll be excused under the headline of what a "massive achievement" it is.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13675, 13676, 13677, 13678, 13679, 13680, 13681 ... 14292  Next