Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 111 guests

Post #509441  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Press saying Ramsey will be sold in the summer by Juve. Like I said when he left they never would have signed him if he wasn’t free.

He’ll probably end up at chelsea or United this summer.

I read the huge majority of Juventus fans have written Ramsey off as crap. That wasn’t the exact term in the report. I can’t recall what the actual word was, just that it was a synonym of crap. Apparently he’s had injury issues and when he has played, he’s routinely been poor.

Post #509442  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Press saying Ramsey will be sold in the summer by Juve. Like I said when he left they never would have signed him if he wasn’t free.

I read the huge majority of Juventus fans have written Ramsey off as crap. That wasn’t the exact term in the report. I can’t recall what the actual word was, just that it was a synonym of crap. Apparently he’s had injury issues and when he has played, he’s routinely been poor.

He’s only started 6 games. I’m not really surprised but I thought he would do ok in Italy as they are quite defensive and a midfield player good at running between the lines would do well.

Can’t see many teams going for him although a Pogba ramsey swap probably would make sense for United.

Post #509443  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:40 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

and Juventus will pocket the substantial transfer fee :20hospitals:

To be honest Bromley I think it was always really about that, he didn’t really seem to be the type of player they need. It’s essentially free money

Post #509444  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
This is great everyone thinks Bernard and I are constantly at loggerheads but deep down behind the Mancini / Mertesacker banter we are great mates .

Along with Kazakh Boy and Niall think we are the longest serving posters .

Agreeing on two things in one day if I wasn't off to bed I'd be breaking out the :3to-drink:

Very heartwarming Kiwi, time for a forum group hug.

Indeed. But who is Kazakh Boy? A number of members have been on the forum a long time. I first joined in the last three months of 1998, so over 21 years. I know it was around then because I started a new job on 1st October 1998 and it was the first time I’d had access to the internet. One of first things I did on the internet was look for Arsenal chat rooms and decided this one was the best. I think it still is even though many of the posters from that time no longer use it. Hence it is largely made up by newer members.

Post #509445  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Indeed. But who is Kazakh Boy? A number of members have been on the forum a long time. I first joined in the last three months of 1998, so over 21 years. I know it was around then because I started a new job on 1st October 1998 and it was the first time I’d had access to the internet. One of first things I did on the internet was look for Arsenal chat rooms and decided this one was the best. I think it still is even though many of the posters from that time no longer use it. Hence it is largely made up by newer members.

I started using the forum in 1997 around the time we signed overmars I think, the first time I had access to the internet. At the time I had no idea how the Internet would shape my life, my career or the world.

Post #509446  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 pm 

RIP Robert Conrad. Tough guy on and off camera.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rob ... 50139.html

Post #509447  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:36 pm 

Everton is on a nice little run with Ancelotti in charge. Remains to be seen if its a permanent turnaround but so far he's getting results. Everton is one of the sides outside Man Utd, Tottenham and Chelsea I don't like for personal reasons but impressed none the less.

Post #509448  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Bernard I believe 'Kazakh boy' is TAFKAEIN aka Exiled.

Post #509449  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:04 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Is it? Thanks.

Post #509450  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:47 pm 

Sheffield United now 8 points ahead of us. If you needed a reminder what an unmitigated disaster this season has been.

Post #509451  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I started using the forum in 1997 around the time we signed overmars I think, the first time I had access to the internet. At the time I had no idea how the Internet would shape my life, my career or the world.

When I first contacted the site you would post and have to enter your moniker. I chose Gaz. Sometime later there was another Gaz posting and to distinguish I became Gaz from Oz and the other became Gaz from Borewood or something like that & he is still on now and then. Steve, our founder was very happy to hand out suspensions and it was a very interesting time. The only forum member I have ever met was MEA who I met in Cairns for a beer. If you still read here MEA hello.

Post #509452  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

:laughing7: Yeah I thought so Brom ... just a passing phase , I'll soon be back to my obnoxious self .

Post #509453  Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Correct ..... Exiled metamorphing into the unpronounceable TAFKAEiN is like a cool sleek leopard changing into an amblypigid .

The name change probably has some romantic connatations ...an anagram for Tara , Agnes , Fiona , Katrina , Annie , Elizabeth , Ingrid and Nelly his first eight sweethearts ... the reason Ingrid is lower case i ...she was only a one night stand .

No idea how long the Gleiber has been going , I joined when Granty Boy had a computer downstairs I'd have thought 1995 .

Post #509454  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 am 

Just had a sudden thought while welding something in the shed ; hold on you dopey old f*******

.... a word made from using the first initials is an acronym not an anagram .

Post #509455  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 am 

kiwipete wrote:
No idea how long the Gleiber has been going , I joined when Granty Boy had a computer downstairs I'd have thought 1995 .

Yeah - Steve and I were doing our web pages around the same time - I think about '95 or so.

The earliest I can see of Steves page is here :

https://web.archive.org/web/19970517002 ... e/home.htm

I did a guest book for people adding comments to my site then a bit later on I helped him use the same code for a guest book for people posting Arsenal stuff.

Post #509456  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 am 

Dele Alli proves he is at the right club

https://www.scmp.com/print/sport/china/ ... oronavirus

Post #509457  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 am 

Seen some reports that Juve are looking to sell Ramsey already, and some Arsenal fans want him back. Not a chance this will happen or that we should do it. He's on £400k per week, is still injury prone and is 29 years old. If he'd had his Arsenal career at, say, Chelsea there is no way any Arsenal fan would want him, not based on ex-chelsea but based on his inconsistent record. His running beyond the strikers is something our team drastically needs but there are much more sensible purchases out there. Just all the more annoying that we didn't extract a £30m+ fee out of his sale.

Post #509458  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 am 

joeheadland wrote:
Good morning everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 19.1578255).
Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Arsenal have run out to, for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Arsenal ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

At the moment they rotate

Talking Heads - Were on the road to nowhere
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you
Faith no more - Falling to pieces
Pink Floyd - Goodbye Cruel World

Post #509459  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

When I first contacted the site you would post and have to enter your moniker. I chose Gaz. Sometime later there was another Gaz posting and to distinguish I became Gaz from Oz and the other became Gaz from Borewood or something like that & he is still on now and then. Steve, our founder was very happy to hand out suspensions and it was a very interesting time. The only forum member I have ever met was MEA who I met in Cairns for a beer. If you still read here MEA hello.

Yes so many lost souls

EEG was always entertaining and shared a similar sense of humour. Choc and Cannon were bonkers

Post #509460  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 am 

joeheadland wrote:
Good morning everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 19.1578255).
Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Arsenal have run out to, for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Arsenal ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

At the moment, and has been for a few years, it’s London Calling by The Clash.

No idea about the reason for the choice, apart from Arsenal being a London club.

Post #509461  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
At the moment they rotate

Talking Heads - Were on the road to nowhere
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you
Faith no more - Falling to pieces
Pink Floyd - Goodbye Cruel World

Oh my ....
:42laughter:

Post #509462  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm 

The Arsenal today in 1940 featuring in Picturegoer magazine.

Bonus points if you can name two earlier films which heavily featured The Arsenal...

Attachments:

Post #509463  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Correct ..... Exiled metamorphing into the unpronounceable TAFKAEiN is like a cool sleek leopard changing into an amblypigid .

The name change probably has some romantic connatations ...an anagram for Tara , Agnes , Fiona , Katrina , Annie , Elizabeth , Ingrid and Nelly his first eight sweethearts ... the reason Ingrid is lower case i ...she was only a one night stand .

Agnes? Behave.

Not sure when I started posting but I do know that your posts were often very useful in figuring out how far you could go before Steve banned you...

Post #509464  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm 

Post #509465  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sheffield United now 8 points ahead of us. If you needed a reminder what an unmitigated disaster this season has been.

We don't, but thanks anyway.

Post #509466  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:05 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
The Arsenal today in 1940 featuring in Picturegoer magazine.

Bonus points if you can name two earlier films which heavily featured The Arsenal...

The Arsenal stadium mystery & The Poseidon Adventure.

Post #509467  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Didn't realize how many billionaires owned clubs. Not so when I first became a fan.
When I became a fan there were few billionaires anywhere in the world. A millionaire was something astonishing, certainly in the UK anyway. It is most likely that the cumulative total of Arsenal spend in the transfer market in the first 100 years of the club was less than one month of Özil's current salary.

Post #509468  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Yes so many lost souls

EEG was always entertaining and shared a similar sense of humour. Choc and Cannon were bonkers

Shame US Martin w as banned. Others were Chippys Chisler, Eskimo, Manoj, Ragahav, Spencer, Vince Ordinaire....etc.

Post #509469  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:34 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Yes so many lost souls

Shame US Martin w as banned. Others were Chippys Chisler, Eskimo, Manoj, Ragahav, Spencer, Vince Ordinaire....etc.

I remember all those Zed. Andreas XavT Odysseus Truegooner Juliano Gaz (BWood) Spencer (tosser) Babu(s) and of course Fishbar.

No idea when I first posted but I'd stalked this place for a while before diving in. I used to post as DonHowesDad because I thought t'internet was the sole prerogative of the young - and I wasn't. Didn't realise most on here were as old as Methuselah and that relatively speaking, I was a slip of a lad. Later I took East End Gooner's cue (EEG) and shortened to DHD. Got banned several times too.

Post #509470  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm 

Lurked for quite a while. Joined in late 2000 I think. Other names from the time were Cannon Balls and Chocolate Gooner and Singapore Gooner.

Post #509471  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:15 pm 

Does anyone remember Nico? And how about Noggin? They both became close friends of mine. As did Gaz (Borehamwood), Truegooner and the sadly deceased Fish Bar who have already been mentioned. There was also Sabir, N5er as well.

Post #509472  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 pm 

Pete in N5 was another excellent poster, who later became Pete by the sea. He was firstly Kingston Pete. Tells me he still occasionally looks at the forum. Has anyone mentioned the famous Harlow Gooner?

Post #509473  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:23 pm 

We haven't seen John's dancing leprechaun in quite some time.

Post #509474  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm 

Some memories there with the old names. Daz vs Choccy was always good for a laugh. Been some debates on here as well. I remember well the great 'mesh' debate.

Post #509475  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm 

Zed wrote:
Yes so many lost souls

Wow...so many memories. Met one or two on that list.
Chocolate Gooner invited issues. Daz trolled him merciliessly (I know trolling...lol) and it can be argued CG deserved it but still....there is some point you can just ignore the posts and posters you don't like Cannon Balls, well...less said the better, but I miss him actually and the only poster I feared getting on the wrong side of, no one else. haha

Then there are those who have passed on. RIP.

Post #509476  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
Zed wrote:

I remember all those Zed. Andreas XavT Odysseus Truegooner Juliano Gaz (BWood) Spencer (tosser) Babu(s) and of course Fishbar.

No idea when I first posted but I'd stalked this place for a while before diving in. I used to post as DonHowesDad because I thought t'internet was the sole prerogative of the young - and I wasn't. Didn't realise most on here were as old as Methuselah and that relatively speaking, I was a slip of a lad. Later I took East End Gooner's cue (EEG) and shortened to DHD. Got banned several times too.

Same here DHD. I looked in for awhile as well before joining. I liked the the Arsenal info and the rollicking banter. I remember Spencer not being very well received on here. Mee had passed away. Same as Fishbar. Oh well. I do miss some of them.

Post #509477  Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm 

dec wrote:
We haven't seen John's dancing leprechaun in quite some time.

Last visited: Sat Jun 01, 2019

Post #509478  Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:01 am 

DHD wrote:
Got banned several times too.

Really?! Why? Did you claim RvP was a decent header? :1laughter:

Post #509479  Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:03 am 

I stayed for the stories. At the time as far as I know had the oldest support. I spent a lot of time on youtube and bought a shed load of DVDs because of this forum. Who do I send the bill to?

Post #509480  Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 am 

Unai Emery blasted for leaving Arsenal 'sick and weak' before Mikel Arteta arrival

Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit has let rip at Unai Emery, for the state he left the Gunners in before his dismissal back in December

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... l-21466599

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12734, 12735, 12736, 12737, 12738, 12739, 12740 ... 14269  Next